User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
Campera OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Cleaning Gore Tex Boot

I have a question for riders using Gore Tex lined boots. How do you maintain the Gore Tex liner?

My experience with membrane moisture barrier clothing is that salts and oils from perspiration will clog the membrane. This prevents the garment from passing perspiration. With coats or pants there are instructions on cleaning that restore the membrane. Does anyone have experience/knowledge on how to do this with Gore Tex boots?

Thanks
Campera
Campera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Might check out the Gore-tex website, or call their 800 number. Prolly have instructions/suggestions that would help you.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
The official word is that you don't. You just wipe the outside down with a wet cloth and shake out the rocks.

Now, if you wear boots as much as I do, they will get smelly after sweating in them enough. What I do is I remove the foot beds, put 1/8 a cap of Atsko sport wash in each, fill with lukewarm water, and mush it around for a bit. Let it soak for half an hour or more, and rinse.

Then I stuff the suckers with old newspaper to pull out the moisture, and replace as necessary.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Campera OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks Keiji,

That is what I expected.

I am now leaning toward boots without a membrane liner. If I want/need water proof, I will get a pair of water proof membrane socks.

Campera
Campera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
RoadWeenie
Super n00b

Oddometer: 94
Nikwax apparently makes product for cleaning Gore Tex gear, including footwear. I've used (and like) their jacket cleaning products, but never tried the footwear stuff.
RoadWeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campera View Post
Thanks Keiji,

That is what I expected.

I am now leaning toward boots without a membrane liner. If I want/need water proof, I will get a pair of water proof membrane socks.

Campera
You're spot on. If you can't maintain it why have it. Gore liners in boots just don't make any sense. And how long is that teflon membrane going to last after you've flexed the boot thousands of times? It ain't that durable. Dissect a gore lined boot and you'll see exactly what you paid for: a porous booty that makes your feet sweat.

One of the greatest marketing ploys ever.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
You're spot on. If you can't maintain it why have it. Gore liners in boots just don't make any sense. And how long is that teflon membrane going to last after you've flexed the boot thousands of times? It ain't that durable. Dissect a gore lined boot and you'll see exactly what you paid for: a porous booty that makes your feet sweat.

I have had three pairs of goretex motorcycle boots. The first pair is pushing 6 years of service. The second lasted two years before it started leaking(I never washed this one). I sent it in to W.L. Gore, and they bought me my third pair, which is up to the one year mark.

These boots were my daily footwear, and each has suffered a fair amount of walking too. If you have ever cut into a goretex boot, you'll find that the liner is a lot thicker than the stuff in jackets.

I would wager the argument is similar to the removable liner/rainsuit vs waterproof all the time jackets and pants. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. For me, it is just one less thing to deal with.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWeenie View Post
Nikwax apparently makes product for cleaning Gore Tex gear, including footwear. I've used (and like) their jacket cleaning products, but never tried the footwear stuff.
techwash

i've used that with some warm (not hot) mixed together and poured in the boots (about 1/2 full). let it sit for a minute or so and then pinch the top of the boots and shake up and down for a good bit. i then rinse and repeat many times over till all the soap is flushed out. the boots the get a good air dry with some newspaper in there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,203
BS.
i've used my method for years. i have a pair of alpinestars goretex boots and tcx infinity gore-tex boots. my feet still stay dry and gore-tex is a critical piece to rider comfort when it raining. wet feet flat out make your ride suck! i also use thin smartwool socks for comfort.

gore-tex works plain and simple. i try to have it in every piece of my gear for every sport i do.

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,497
Quote:

Interesting -- I should prolly go out to the garage and tell my 10-year-old Sidis that they don't work. They certainly don't know, and my feet haven't figured it our, either.

Thanks for the tip!

;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,835
This is one of the reasons I don't like gore-tex lined boots,

I'd rather get un-lined boots and wear gore-tex oversocks,
Then I can clean the socks when they get dirty

And I can wear the boots when it's not raining and my feet don't get super hot.

Anyway, The best I've heard is to keep the outside clean and free of dirt

Wipe the insides down and let them dry out between soakings if it's possible.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
Sidi on Roads

I have notoriously sweaty stinky feet and my 2 year old Sidi boots, with gortex waterproof liners, work perfectly. My feet stay dry in heavy rains and reasonably comfortable even in very hot conditions. And they don't stink all that much; not even close to my running shoe smells. Go figure how they work, eh? I clean the outside yearly and apply a thick coat of Sno-Seal as a leather conditioner and protector. Yes, the beeswax probably does inhibit the breathabilty but the boots work well.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #13
fotto
n00b

Oddometer: 2
never put newspapers inside goretex shoes. The ink of the newspaper will destruct it. Let it just dry (not against a heater) and you could put silica gel based drying product inside.
fotto is offline   Reply With Quote