Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
The Jinx OP
I'm an angel... :p

Oddometer: 239
Wilbers vs Ohlin?

Hi Inmates

I couldnt locate any comparison between Wilbers and Ohlins.

I'm a 70kg, 5' 11" and riding R12GS (non-ESA).

I'm planning to change from OEM shocks to after-market.

Most of my ride will be 80% road and 20% light offroad/fireroad.

My luggage setup will be Adventure panniers and top-box and considering two-up later future.

Pls give me your opinion

Thanks & regards
sbw

My other 2-wheels....
2008 Pinarello Prince Carbon (road bike)
2004 Ellsworth Truth (MTB)
The Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

I ride about 25.000 km per year, and my bike now has 160.000 km on it.
I bought Wilbers 100.000 km ago because they were less expensive.
I doubt very much that I would be able to tell the difference in handling between the two.

I have had my Wilbers serviced twice. Cost about 200 euro for both.

You'll have the Øhlins-owners tell you the same story.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
WANNABEEmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Wilbers you can give in all the numbers you want like weight, luggage 2 up etc. with Ohlins it isn't like that you just get Ohlins.

Both will be doing a good job. I ride with Wilbers but next time it might be a different brand probably Hyperpro.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,648
I do know that the aftermarket shock mfgs specify different rebuild or service schedules. Maybe some folks can chime in about that.

I do the kind of riding you are doing, I put the Ohlins on my 96 R1100GS and thought they were great. I had traded up to a r1200 GSA before I had too many miles on them. When it comes time to upgrade on my newer bike, I'll be looking at the Ohlins, wilbers, and Hyperpro's
Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
crea58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I've had the Wilburs for about 5000 miles. They work well. I have had Ohlins on other bikes and they also worked well. The main reasons I got Wilburs over the Ohlins was they are built to your specs and the preload adjustment on the WIlburs has a wider range to adjust for luggage and a passenger. The Ohlins are ok for just luggage or a passenger but if you have a passenger and full luggage the preload does not have enough adjustment. This is what Ted Porter told me and he sells Ohlins and Wilburs.
crea58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNABEEmer View Post
Wilbers you can give in all the numbers you want like weight, luggage 2 up etc. with Ohlins it isn't like that you just get Ohlins.

Both will be doing a good job. I ride with Wilbers but next time it might be a different brand probably Hyperpro.
NOT true ...ordered my Ohlins from DAN in the ADV Vendor section set up for me and my weight

I have used Ohlins, Wilbers, and Hyperpro...not had a problem with any of them. They are all quality shocks and all exceed OEM considerably...My Wilber was the stiffest when ordered and all were ordered for same specification...My last Ohlins for my 1200 I ordered it a bit softer...lol
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,633
Jinx, just went through the same thing myself. The biggest deciding factor was ease of rebuild. I could have the Ohlins done at the shop I take my bike to and not have to ship them back. Both are great quality, both have great reputation, and the difference from OEM is amazing. In the long run it will come down to personal preference. Dan here in the vendor section gives prices on Ohlins that cant be beat. Good luck on your decision.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
fooey
Live Bullet

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
Jinx, just went through the same thing myself. The biggest deciding factor was ease of rebuild. I could have the Ohlins done at the shop I take my bike to and not have to ship them back. Both are great quality, both have great reputation, and the difference from OEM is amazing. In the long run it will come down to personal preference. Dan here in the vendor section gives prices on Ohlins that cant be beat. Good luck on your decision.
Same as above for me. Love the OHLINS...Im just sayin Alfred
Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNABEEmer View Post

This is simply incorrect. A real suspension shop will set your Ohlins up for weight and riding style. I can recommend Pro-Pilot suspension in New Jersey if you're on this side of the planet.

This isn't the first time I've heard this and I wonder if people who sell other shocks are perpetuating this myth in order to sell their brand or if they're getting it from other people who don't know.

Wilbers, Penske, Bitubo, Works, Ohlins, Fox... shock threads are second only to oil threads.

The best suspension you've ever ridden on is all you know. You have no idea how much nicer the ride could be until you try. And since they are all about 1600 dollars a set, most of us cannot afford to ride multiple sets and see.

I do know that if my Ohlins shock goes bad in any state in this union, there is a Ohlin dealer there who can rebuilt it in a day or so. You can't say that with all makes.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,508
I got Wilbers because in Australia I couldn't find anybody that when I spoke wihtthem on the phone where helpful and could answer the questions I had. The guy I spoke to who did Wilbers, could answer teh Q's I had

The prices where about the same.

I got them set up for how we did most of our riding at the time and they work well, but no reason why Ohlins should not be the same.

Some folks farkle teh engine and more power etc, I think, a a few woudl agree with me, the easiest and best mod to do is ditch the original OEM shocks and get some after market installed, much better

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I have Ohlins and I am in LOVE . They have been rebuilt twice and it's like a second honeymoon each time. But if you want an impression from someone who has been on the net for a long time. Between Ohlins and Wilbers take your pick. But other shocks are just shocks. Dave
Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
The Jinx OP
I'm an angel... :p

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

Wilbers, Penske, Bitubo, Works, Ohlins, Fox... shock threads are second only to oil threads.
I'm using Fox Forx fork and Romic Ti rear shock on my MTB and I loves it so much!

Back to the subject, Fox making shocks for R12GS?

Regards
sbw

My other 2-wheels....
2008 Pinarello Prince Carbon (road bike)
2004 Ellsworth Truth (MTB)
The Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,280
Nope. You have to go KTM for that.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
WANNABEEmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
This is simply incorrect. A real suspension shop will set your Ohlins up for weight and riding style. I can recommend Pro-Pilot suspension in New Jersey if you're on this side of the planet.

This isn't the first time I've heard this and I wonder if people who sell other shocks are perpetuating this myth in order to sell their brand or if they're getting it from other people who don't know.

The best suspension you've ever ridden on is all you know. You have no idea how much nicer the ride could be until you try. And since they are all about 1600 dollars a set, most of us cannot afford to ride multiple sets and see.

I do know that if my Ohlins shock goes bad in any state in this union, there is a Ohlin dealer there who can rebuilt it in a day or so. You can't say that with all makes.
That's what they told me that the Ohlins is just ordered and then they can adjust it in the shop as for Wilbers the spring would be made for your weight.

Sorry if that's not true!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
IIRC, the Ohlins is a standard body and the spring is selected for your weight when you order the shock. Individual shops may elect to adjust the valving on the Ohlins but that is not a factory option.

The Wilbers shock is built to order and so the valving can be adjusted during the factory assembly of the shock. Whether that actually happens or they just throw in a standard shim stack, I do not know.

I have had both and both are quality units. I did wait several weeks longer to get the Wilbers unit as they come from Europe and the Ohlins was stocked in the US.