Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #31
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Much obliged Ghostryder!

I'm hoping to find a good outfit that could sell and then install them for me at the BMW MOA Rally in Salem, OR coming up next week.
That don't seem likely unless you've already made arrangements. There's a limited time for them to install and they often book up in advance. But more importantly, you normally need to order your shocks a few days...up to a few weeks in advance. My Yacugar took 5 or 6 weeks, but they're not as common as Ohlins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboxer82is View Post
Over in Singapore, most Ohlins shock comes with e 140 rear spring by factory unless u request for a different one.
Correct. The "standard" spring (rear) is 140 lbs, and if you're over about 190 lbs it will be sprung too soft. You will need to use much of your preload for your own weight and start with more limited travel and capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboxer82is View Post
I was told that Ohlins required shorter service intervals compared to the other brands. Wonder how true is that?
Other aluminum body shocks have similar service intervals. That's part of why I went with Yacugar...steel construction and 16 mm shaft vs the 14mm of Ohlins. But if you're only riding streets and occasional short trips on dirt roads ANY aftermarket shock will be a big improvement and durable enough. Most people couldn't tell the difference in ride from one aftermarket shock to the next. As long as you're getting a shock that's built for your weight and use you will be very pleased for a very long time.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
Joeboxer82is
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
That don't seem likely unless you've already made arrangements. There's a limited time for them to install and they often book up in advance. But more importantly, you normally need to order your shocks a few days...up to a few weeks in advance. My Yacugar took 5 or 6 weeks, but they're not as common as Ohlins.

Correct. The "standard" spring (rear) is 140 lbs, and if you're over about 190 lbs it will be sprung too soft. You will need to use much of your preload for your own weight and start with more limited travel and capacity.

Other aluminum body shocks have similar service intervals. That's part of why I went with Yacugar...steel construction and 16 mm shaft vs the 14mm of Ohlins. But if you're only riding streets and occasional short trips on dirt roads ANY aftermarket shock will be a big improvement and durable enough. Most people couldn't tell the difference in ride from one aftermarket shock to the next. As long as you're getting a shock that's built for your weight and use you will be very pleased for a very long time.
Very true. Like myself,i do 90% street riding so any other aftermarket shocks which is properly set up will do e job very well. I'm interested to know more about e Yacugar now cos i've never come across that unique name before :)
Joeboxer82is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #33
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Yacugar don't make an ESA compatible set though.
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #34
justinallen03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
the TTX Ohlins are 16mm shafts on rear (14 on front) and I believe steel-bodied.
justinallen03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #35
turnerm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I've had Wilber's, Ohlins and Hyper Pro.
I can't compare as they were on 3 different types of bikes and had different levels of service.
I had Ohlins on a Duc 996 and R1100s. I noticed no difference on the 996 between stock and the Ohlins, but there was very little service from the seller. It may have been the wrong spring, etc. plus wheel travel is low on that bike so not as easy to tell. On the r1100s the difference between stock and Ohlins was huge. It also added some height and wheel travel. Loved it.
The Wilber's and Hyper Pro were purchased from Klaus in NJ. Can't say enough about Kaus and the service he provides.
I put the Wilber's on a R1150rs and the Hyper Pro on my current GS.
Both feel great.
On my GS, I may have ordered the Huper Pro with a weight too high because they are stiff. When I had the bike weighted down on my trip the bike felt amazing. So maybe they were set up a little stuff.

I will say that the build quality, fit and finish is outstanding on the Hyper Pro. I can't say which of the three is better though. Way too many variables.