Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #166
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Nice looking bikes. What is the vibration like on the 500cc motors?
the twin is smooth.
never rode the single
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #167
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoduda.com View Post
What vibration? It's a Honda :)
The FT500 Single has the typical vibes. It is based off the late 70ies XR500 engine. Low RPM is fine over 4000 rpms it gets a bit buzzy. Still smooth power delivery though.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #168
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Nice looking bikes. What is the vibration like on the 500cc motors?
The FT500 has a balancer - an improvement over previous iterations of this motor in the XR500 and Xl500, but vibration is most noticeable above 5000 rpm. There is a smooth spot between 3000-5000 rpm.

Today I replaced the main and low jets in the carburetor up two steps from stock to a #145 main and a #58 low. The job took about an hour and was easy to do. Complete instructions are available on the FT500 Yahoo Group. I definitely recommend this $10 mod. The bike runs much more smoothly and has more power at both the top and bottom end - definite reduction in vibration and the motor seems to me much less strained than it was with the stock jets. It put a grin on my face. . This bike is incredibly easy to work on.

It is not necessary to remove the carb, but I found it easier to do so...

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 09:24 PM
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #169
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
'84 red VT. My first real bike.

I rode that thing all over the midwest in the late 80s. I took a second job as a second shift grill cook / pot washer while in college in order to pay for it, used. It changed my life one summer. It cemented my lifetime addiction to bikes.

Love this thread and love the rebuild/restos.

FB
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #170
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
Thumb

Just Picked up this FT. It nearly identical to the one I bought new in '84. Only 4200 miles, too. Going to do some work on the carb and brakes, and get it rideable again.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #171
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
Just Picked up this FT. It nearly identical to the one I bought new in '84. Only 4200 miles, too. Going to do some work on the carb and brakes, and get it rideable again.

Nice! While you're in the carb, I highly recommend going with bigger jets. Keep us posted on your progress.

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #172
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Much improved

After putting bigger jets in the carburetor, switching out the 15T countershaft sprocket for a 17T was just the ticket! These along with new 335mm four-way adjustable Emgo shocks, part #EMG1705512, and I have a nice riding thumper. I've now completed the necessary mechanical work and look forward to putting some miles on this old beast in the upcoming weeks.

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #173
Go-4-It
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
'84 VT 500 Ascot

I bought this one last fall locally in southern OH. It seems to be a BLAST to ride. It is the smallest bike in our Honda herd. We lost the left side cover when taken on its 2nd ride. The bike has about 26K miles and has a stutter in it. It was a daily commutter for a Goldwing rider since new. The battery died after the short fall riding we did, so probably a charging problem. I'm really overall impressed with it. I posted a wanted to buy add. Let me know if you all got a side cvr, rear luggage rack or crash bars. Good luck & ride safe.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #174
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,214
The other night while picking my daughter up from her Mom's house I passed an open garage and spotted a nice looking Black VT500.
My daughter says ' I knew you'd spot that!'
I'll see if I can meet the owner sometime, never know when it's time to sell!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #175
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
the twin is smooth.
never rode the single
Ummm, the twin gets pretty buzzy at freeway speeds, but never really obnoxious.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #176
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 286
OK new (to AR) and new Ascot VT owner checking in.
Bought the Ascot with 8400 miles on the odo, replaced the rotted tank with a Shadow tank, replaced the rectangle headlight with a round headlight, did the usual defered maintenence, and the Shascot was born.

I bought it to ride the 30,000 miles of dirt roads in Idaho, but took a trip to Vegas in March, to get a jump on spring and rode every dirt road I could find around Lake Mead and the surrounding area.

I also brought a "road" bike to Vegas that broke the 1st day so the Shascot had to do double duty and never skipped a beat for 3000 miles, visiting Havasu, Zion, Laughlin, Boatman, etc.
Here's a phone pic about a mile past where I should have turned around:

Kenstone
kenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #177
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 665
Nice! my friend unintentionally made a Shascot by putting a Ascot motor in his Honda Shadow.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #178
Neon Black
Supertramp

Oddometer: 24
New Ascot Owner

Hello all,

New Ascot owner here, new to the forums as well, hell, new to "adventure riding"! I am a traveler. For a while now I've been crossing the states by foot (hitch-hiking, craigslist ads, "bumming it") to see family in the east. Last month I thumbed my way from northern California to eastern Texas to see an uncle en route. Well he had this awesome bike sitting in his garage, a 1983 VT500 Ascot. Long story short I bought it, check it out:

I bought it flat out for $700 bucks and there were only very minor repairs to be done and nothing at all mechanically wrong. It had just been sitting for a really long time (since 2001 heh). After fix(JB weld)ing a leaking master cylinder, cleaning the front pistons, having the carbs cleaned and tuned, and replacing the dry-rotted tires with new ones (not to mention a thorough self-inspection/cleaning, the bike runs great and is in very good shape.

I started riding two years ago living in Thailand, I have a good year's experience riding on various bikes and scooters in some of the craziest roads and traffic (ever been to Asia?), mostly as basic commuter/transportation outside of major cities. This will be my first time having my own bike on my home soil and I'm ridiculously stoked to get back on the road (about a thousand miles to my next stop in Tennessee).

I just wanted to share with some other adventurers and ascot owners out there, and also to collaborate thoughts, ideas, advice, that kind of thing. Oh the 21st century kicks ass! Being able to network from a phone while on the road!

So ya, I'm Neon, and I look forward to learning more through you all and sharing my experiences. As a new ascot owner (did I forget to say how fuckin' sweet these bikes are?) I would really appreciate any advise and pointers! Also, if anyone has access to a .pdf version of a manual for the bike I would be super grateful for a link or email!

Neon Black screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 08:17 AM
Neon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #179
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 286
Welcome Neon

Wlecome from a fellow newb, nice looking bike, enjoy it...it'll be fun
There's not a lot of traffic here, as you can see, with a somewhat more active VT500 forum in the Yahoo Groups and you might want to poke around over there too.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...00enthusiasts/

A word of caution though: Don't put any email addresses in your profile over there, if you join, or you will be jammed with junk mail.

Kenstone
kenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #180
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,191
Welcome, both of you.

The Ascot is not a popluar bike and the forum does not get alot of traffic but we have a thread to ourselves.

Good luck on your trip Neon.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote