User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #46
Rocket Ron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Fyi

I Just read the first 2 pages and scanned the rest and may have missed it. When I road almost this exact trip from San Diego I found and was told by everyone on the road to have a Mile Post. It is the bible for going to Alaska! You can get/order them at any book store or on line at milepost.com. I wouldn't go with out one! The book will tell you anything and everything you want to know about the roads, what to see, accomodations, history ECT.. If you go to Seward and want a good cup of coffee, I forget the name of the coffe house. Go to the Church that has been converted int a coffee houst and art gallery. Mike and Reylene are the owners. Reylene has been a friend of my family's since we were kids. (30+ yrs.) Sleeping on the Solorium Deck is the only way to go. I went Mid-week from Hains the deck was not half full. (got lucky)

I was told that if you coontact the bike shop in Dawson Creek they would order and save a tire for you. I wish I would have done this. I needed a tire by the time I got to Whitehourse. The Honda shop there had the only tire that would fit my bike. (DR 650) There is another shop in town but no tires that would fit at that time. I asked the Honda shop if they would mount it for me and was told it would take 3 days. They had a gold wing in front of me on the rack getting a tire change. That was ok. When I started to pull my tools out and change it in thier parking lot the manager kicked me out. While I was packing up my tools, the kid that does the tire changes walked out and said he would go ahead and do it. He wasn't told that my bike was small one. The Manager Still would not let him. The kid apologized and said this wasn't the first time. The owner of the Texico station is a biker and let me change tires there even asked if I neede any tools. Northern Motorsports was another great shop in Fairbanks (They told me about the shop in Dawson Creek.) When the service manager saw that I was on the road he cleared the schedule to work on my bike while I was there.

I'm hoping time allow's me to go back up this summer. Cant wait to go again!

Ron
Old 01-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #47
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
ADubya....where ya been? Still waiting for more of last year's trip north.
Hey Gruver, how you bin doin'

They're still punishing me at work for taking that month off
I remember you saying there are only two seasons in Alaska, winter & construction. Unfortunately I pay the bills with the latter, and due to the favourable climate it's a year round, balls to the wall effort down here.

stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #48
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,864
ADubya.....I understand completely. Used to be in that biddness myself.
I'm just happy to hear that you haven't fallen off the face of the earth. How's the 9fiddy workin' for ya?
Big bird is resting comfortably in the corner of Ma Fighter's garage just waiting for the ice to go out. I'm probably going to throw on on a set of TKC 80's for the run to Inuvik in June. Last time I was up there I had street tires on my R80 GS. I like a challenge but I've grown somewhat wiser since then.

When ya comin' north again? Sure would be cool to see you at this year's D2D.
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:31 PM   #49
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Quote:
ADubya.....I understand completely. Used to be in that biddness myself.
I'm just happy to hear that you haven't fallen off the face of the earth. How's the 9fiddy workin' for ya?
Big bird is resting comfortably in the corner of Ma Fighter's garage just waiting for the ice to go out. I'm probably going to throw on on a set of TKC 80's for the run to Inuvik in June. Last time I was up there I had street tires on my R80 GS. I like a challenge but I've grown somewhat wiser since then.

When ya comin' north again? Sure would be cool to see you at this year's D2D.

9Fiddys just turned 7 months old and about to roll over 20k miles, running like a top.

I love the TKC's on the GS, I usually get around 5k to a rear and double that on the front. Tried 'em on the KTM for a run down to Big Bend coupla months ago, 2K and the rear was shagged, 5k and the front looks like new...go figure...rumour has it they have a special compound for the big beemer.

I was kicking around the idea of doing the Alcan 5K in '06 with the rest of the fella's, but it's way too structured for my liking, I ride to get away from all that crap

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but Alaska's addicting. I haven't been able to think of much else since the summer...lifes too short to spend it all in the lower 48. It's more a matter of when not if, and when it happens your phone will be ringing off the wall matey

What happened to the Kiwi?
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #50
Fighter
Head Gruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
9Fiddys just turned 7 months old and about to roll over 20k miles, running like a top.

I love the TKC's on the GS, I usually get around 5k to a rear and double that on the front. Tried 'em on the KTM for a run down to Big Bend coupla months ago, 2K and the rear was shagged, 5k and the front looks like new...go figure...rumour has it they have a special compound for the big beemer.

I was kicking around the idea of doing the Alcan 5K in '06 with the rest of the fella's, but it's way too structured for my liking, I ride to get away from all that crap

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but Alaska's addicting. I haven't been able to think of much else since the summer...lifes too short to spend it all in the lower 48. It's more a matter of when not if, and when it happens your phone will be ringing off the wall matey

What happened to the Kiwi?

2K on the rear: why you little hooligan. Good for you.

Alcan 5K too structured: what... you don't like parades? Couldn't agree more. The cool thing about our D2D is that everybody runs at his/her own pace. We all end up at the same place, pretty tough to get lost.

Alaska addicting: Last year one of my quests asked me how long I had been in Alaska.
Thirty plus years... I replied
Do you like it?
You know...I'm thinkin' about makin' it my home.

Kiwi is back in his own country staying warm. He hasn't seen a winter in ten years. I suspect he'll turn up this June for another season of "Driving Miss Daisy"
Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #51
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Quote:
Alaska addicting: Last year one of my quests asked me how long I had been in Alaska.
Do you like it?

Quote:
Kiwi is back in his own country staying warm. He hasn't seen a winter in ten years. I suspect he'll turn up this June for another season of "Driving Miss Daisy"

How suprised d'ya think he'd be if we showed up on his doorstep one of these winters/summers
"...just returning the favour you ferker"
Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #52
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Do you like it?
I like that one Fighter, believe I will borrow it for the benifit of those who ask.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:30 PM   #53
Fighter
Head Gruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
I like that one Fighter, believe I will borrow it for the benifit of those who ask.
It's all yours buddy.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:46 AM   #54
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,381
kiwi

So who is kiwi, good dayfor riding here, had the heritage outin the mornin and dun a service on it and out on the VTR this arvo, heaven, had a couple of emails from Drew Shows from Homer, havin a ball but didnt catch a Marlin. will keep yous posted.
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:52 AM   #55
greengoose
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
You guys are great . These 1st hand reorts make trip planning a lot more fun hope I meet up with some of y'all up there . I think I have my route roughly maped out, now I still have 4 1/2 months to wait . Guess I will spend the time fine tuning the trip, prepping the bike, and riding all I can. I'll take lots of pics and file a ride report when I get back, then next year I can help answer some of these noob questions. thanks again
greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:14 AM   #56
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2
So who is kiwi, good dayfor riding here, had the heritage outin the mornin and dun a service on it and out on the VTR this arvo, heaven, had a couple of emails from Drew Shows from Homer, havin a ball but didnt catch a Marlin. will keep yous posted.
The emails from Drew are a kick, makes me wish I would have done the same when I was a kid. Barb
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #57
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB
Do we go east on 16 and north on 40 toward Grand Prairie and up to Dawson Creek, or west to Prince George then up 97 to Dawson Creek? What route has the best scenery and roads?
Let the weather and your schedule decide when you get there. I'll assume a starting point of Jasper. As far as schedule, Jasper to Dawson Creek via Prince George is a full day. Jasper to Dawson Creek via Gran Prairie is a half a day so going via Gran Prairie will allow you to make it into Fort Nelson relatively easily. From a scenery perspective, the main attraction heading toward Prince George is Mt. Robinson about 25 miles to the west of Jasper. If it is out, it is worth the ride to the west to see it from the visiters center. From Mt. Robinson to Prince George is long and boring so if you want to you can always back track and go through Gran Prairie. However, the ride from Prince George to Dawson Creek is a much nicer ride than the ride from Jasper to Dawson Creek via Gran Prairie. If the weather is such that you can't see anything, you may as well take the Gran Prairie route.

Quote:
From Dawson Creek we are looking at running the Alaskan Hwy to Whitehorse and then take the Klondike Hwy (Rt2) up to Dawson, through Chicken and down to Tok.
Yes, that is the way to go.

Quote:
From Tok over to Fairbanks via the Alaska and depending on weather and road conditions make a run for at least the Artic Circle if not Deadhorse.
Go to Deadhorse! The best part about going to Deadhorse (aside from bragging rights) is the ride through Atigun pass in the Brooks and the tundra all the way to Deadhorse. How many people do you know who have actually been there and seen it? If your that close, you can be one of them. To skip it would be a crime. Be sure to stop and smell the roses, none there, but smell them anyway. It took me about 11 hours to get from Fairbanks to Deadhorse but the weather was outstanding (80 degrees at Deadhorse and clear skies) and the road was in decent shape.

Quote:
We have decided to take the ferry from either Haines or Skagway down to Bellingham or Prince Rupert. Looks like there are two different ways to go depending on where we want to leave from. We really want to see Skagway. Is there any advantage to going to Haines and taking a short ferry over to Skagway? Or should we forget Rt3 and just head over to Whitehorse and down Rt 2 to Skagway?
The road between Whitehorse and Skagway is stunning. I haven't been on the road to Haines but I hear that it is stunning as well. The road from Prince Rupert to the Cassiar cutoff is very nice as well. As someone else mentioned, you can skip the ferry and take the Cassiar from Watson lake south as an alternative.

Quote:
Am I missing anything that's a "must do" while we are in Alaska or BC?
I didn't notice when you were planning on making this trip but being in Dawson during the Yukon music fetival is worthwhile. It usually happens toward the end of July.

Quote:
And about the ferry. Seems very confusing. Will we need reservations? We are planning on sleeping in the solarium. Has anyone done this? Did you use your tent or did you sleep on a lounge chair? Advice....
You should have reservations. They can usually squeeze motorcycles on without them but you run the risk of being left at the dock. I took the ferry from Seward into Prince Rupert one time without reservations and it was 1:00 am before I was able to get confirmed on the boat. A cabin is worth it just to insure the safety of your gear in my view.

Quote:
Is it worth the trip from Prince Rupert to Bellingham, or should we just get off in Prince Rupert and spend more time on the bikes in BC?
It would be a question of whether you want to see the North Cascades heading east out of Bellingham or the leg from Prince Rupert to the Cassiar cutoff. Both are nice, but the North Cascades is nicer IMHO. By the time you've gotton that far you may be burnt out on scenery though. Not much comes close to what you will have seen in Alaska. From the Cassiar cuttoff to Prince George is exceedingly boring compared to what you will have already seen.

Quote:
What about our timing for this trip. Last week of July and first two weeks of August. What do you think the weather and bug situation will be?
Perfect timing. I've done that trip twice and both times it was at the end of July. Be aware though that it can rain a lot during the summer months up north. The first year I went up I rode through probably 1000 miles of rain and froze my ass off a number of times. The next time I was prepared. I left my warm weather gear home. As these things go, I roasted my ass off the whole way. We were on the verge of heat stroke up in Deadhorse:)

Have fun!
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #58
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Hi Barb

Its not to late to get in another trip here, Fit it in after Mexico, Its really nice here in Autumn especially Central Otago when the leaves are changing colour. I dun a south island trip last april , never got wet . Have a choice to go to a track day today or a ride to Queenstown so me and the Dog are off up there. Might get up to Glenorchy. Did you and Vic go there. The Lord of the Rings had a few sites there as well as Mavora Lakes along the road from my place. What is the date you guys leave Anchorage on D2D. I got so many places written down to visit might have to take a month to get to Dawson City. We are off to Aust in April for World Superbikes, I might have to buy a bike and leave it over there to save on the rentalcar costs. Cheers Toddy
Old 01-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #59
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2
Its not to late to get in another trip here, Fit it in after Mexico, Its really nice here in Autumn especially Central Otago when the leaves are changing colour. I dun a south island trip last april , never got wet . Have a choice to go to a track day today or a ride to Queenstown so me and the Dog are off up there. Might get up to Glenorchy. Did you and Vic go there. The Lord of the Rings had a few sites there as well as Mavora Lakes along the road from my place. What is the date you guys leave Anchorage on D2D. I got so many places written down to visit might have to take a month to get to Dawson City. We are off to Aust in April for World Superbikes, I might have to buy a bike and leave it over there to save on the rentalcar costs. Cheers Toddy
We're probably leaving on the 15th of June. If the weather is good, I may try for Inuvik before Dawson. Are you going to meet us up in Dawson or do you have a plan of attack yet? Barb
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:04 AM   #60
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Hi Barb

I finish work on Friday 13th may, havnt booked tickets yet but will fly over 16th or 17th .That will give me 3 and a half weeks to meet up with you guys at Dawson. Im going up via the Cassier but havnt got a definite route up the coast to Vancouver. If I start in Lake Havasu city what is the most scenic route to get to San Franscisco. Is Yosemite NP worth going to and is it worth going into Klamath Falls and Crater Lake NP. Any advice from you guys will be much appreciated . I want to do the Inuvik run before or after dawson, and also Deadhorse, Might soak up a bit of time at the hot pools till the road is dry to do that section, Just seen photos of doing it at night, looks impressive. From dawson I have 6 weeks to fill before Sturgis, Kenai Peninsula. ferry to Cordova, Valdez , McCarthy, Tok, Haines, ferry to Skagway, Watson Lake then trundle down to Sturgis. From there my route is pretty well planned with the help of a freind here who came from CA. I had planned on being away for 3 months but Gayle said she wouldnt sell the house till 6 months is up, so I guess as long as the bills are getting paid and the credit card dont max out every thing will be A OK. I have read I dont need a Visa for USA as long as the stay is 3months or less. Duz the 3 month period start again by going into Canada or is it 3 months in a 12 month period. ? Had a nice ride to Queenstown yesterday, Went up the gondolas and rode the luge, Never seen one cop all day. I will try and get Drew to one of our bike rallys. I sent him an email and told him to carry a spare helmut, theres always a chick at the backpackers who wants to go for a day ride and give you a rub down afterwards. Cheers Toddy