User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
perterra OP
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
scooter luggage?

If a person was to buy one of the big scooters and wanted to do some trips two up, how much capicity can you get? If I take a week long trip I end up with a lot of crap packed away and have always used saddlebags/panniers and a trunk or backrest bag.

So how much can be hauled if I wanted to tour on say a 650 scooter?

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
If a person was to buy one of the big scooters and wanted to do some trips two up, how much capicity can you get? If I take a week long trip I end up with a lot of crap packed away and have always used saddlebags/panniers and a trunk or backrest bag.

You can add a tail trunk, saddle bags, and even a tunnel bag to any scooter and carry quite a bit more than just the underseat storage.

My sport city set up for touring.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
You can add a tail trunk, saddle bags, and even a tunnel bag to any scooter and carry quite a bit more than just the underseat storage.

My sport city set up for touring.
He did mention 2 ups though. That said I am willing to bet the large maxi scooters like the burgman with saddle bags etc can carry more than any other bike other than a goldwing, but I am guessing at this point
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:

You can use all of those on a scooter. Some scoots like the Burgmans have serious amounts of underseat storage. I did a 5 day trip without using anything other than the underseat storage on a Burgman 400 including camera and computer. On my BV or Scarabeo I use a 42 liter Givi topcase. A recent 2 week trip I added a biker's friend rollbag/backrest. That trip I not only took camera, computer, riding and off hte bike causal clothes but had to take a full set of business attire since a work related side trip came up after my prepaid hotel, etc. were booked for Amerivespa. So that is sort of like two people for a week. :)

Both my husband and I used saddlebags when we took for 12 day trip out to California last year in part because he rode the Sports City which has a smaller topcase and sports bike size saddlebags.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
JCwhitney used to have some durable inexpensive throw over nylon bags for $20-$25, but they don't list them anymore.

http://www.mitechtrading.com/diamond...e-p-24934.html

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
He did mention 2 ups though. That said I am willing to bet the large maxi scooters like the burgman with saddle bags etc can carry more than any other bike other than a goldwing, but I am guessing at this point
In the case of the Burgman, you get LESS storage space in the bigger ones. The 400 has a shocking amount of space under the seat.

But of course the 400 is closer to its max weight with two-up. So...riding double, everyone's gonna haveta pack a little light.

Saddlebags...are doable, of course; but the whole body of a touring scooter is fat to start with. Then with side cases, or even soft bags?...yer gonna have to have a WIDE LOAD banner on your tail.

In any event, weight is going to be the determining factor. Do an honest assessment, what the two of you weigh. Two college kids, at 185 and 115 pounds, are going to have a lot more wiggle room than mature adults at 225 and 190.

If you got the weight capacity, consider a top case - and sure, check out saddlebags.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
perterra OP
-. --- .--. .

I think I may be hard pressed to use a scoot to tour here. I may still look at one but I think I'll keep an eye out for a big bike again. KLR is too cramped and too flightey at speed.

Was riding a GL1800 before it, dont want that big but maybe a older concours or even a first gen Tiger.

But I would still like to get a scooter.

IBA 22425
Old 08-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
luggage

If you are camping you need lots of baggage, if you are doing a motel trip, a duffle bag across the rear seat with a top box will be big enough for most people for ten days to a week.Most motels have some washing machines, so you don't need to bring as much as you might think.You can get waterproof duffle bags very reasonably if you shop the internet. Saddle bags do create a lot of drag and if you forget how wide you are can be a problem. You just have to decide what you want to bring.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
maxi scoots are huge you can fit loads of luggage, panniers and top box as on a motorcycle. wont be able to have a tank bag but you have the trunk under the seat instead. id say youd get more on a maxi scoot than a motorcycle as the design of the seat and surrounding area makes it easier to strap extra stuff on, compared to lots of m/cs
Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
perterra OP
-. --- .--. .

traveling 2 up, I think the weight limits will be the hindering factor. My current bike can pack a lot but is too cramped for 2 up

The one before it packed a lot too, but was a beast to get around dirt roads on.

I need to research weight limits on some scooters. Was looking for fun ride that will do it all but I think a smaller scooter for around town and a Tiger for the road might be the answer.

IBA 22425
Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
GroundHogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
This "does it all" (for me anyway...)

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
perterra OP
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHogger View Post
This "does it all" (for me anyway...)

I like it.

IBA 22425
Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
kittty
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
Looks like some of you pack more for a trip on a scooter than I pack in my car I always joke when I see a Honda Goldwing that it has more trunk space than my car, and it just might. My Beetle convertible has a five cubic foot trunk, with an Infinity Basslink in it

As far as my scooter, this is the most luggage it sees, a vintage Samsonite train case

Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
perterra OP
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittty View Post
Looks like some of you pack more for a trip on a scooter than I pack in my car I always joke when I see a Honda Goldwing that it has more trunk space than my car, and it just might. My Beetle convertible has a five cubic foot trunk, with an Infinity Basslink in it

As far as my scooter, this is the most luggage it sees, a vintage Samsonite train case

Nice looking scooter.

That goldwing shot was a 14 day trip, leaving in the mornings in 21 temps and arriving 600 miles later in the afternoon at 103 meant we started out wearing all our gear and as the day went on it got moved to the top of the trunk piece by piece.

IBA 22425
Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
kittty
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Nice looking scooter.

That goldwing shot was a 14 day trip, leaving in the mornings in 21 temps and arriving 600 miles later in the afternoon at 103 meant we started out wearing all our gear and as the day went on it got moved to the top of the trunk piece by piece.
Thanks

And no hate at all, I'm jealous of the people who have the courage and dedicate to take long trips on two wheels. I rarely venture more than 20 miles from home and that always requires my car. Every year I go to Ocean City MD for a Volkswagen show, and people rent scooters all week long (expensive! Almost $100 for an afternoon) I'd love to one year actually go on two wheels, even if it means putting some stuff in someone else's car. My Stella will definitely not be making that trip though.