User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
ptl6spd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
$20 Scooter Project

Decided to join the forum and document my new project.

My Fiance had a co-worker who was trying to get rid of a Scooter her kid had in college. It had been sitting in storage for 6 years. My Fiance was always kind of interested in a scooter, and I always teased her that she should get one so we can ride around town together when I take my Ninja 250 out.

All we knew about the scooter is she wanted $20 for it, it had a title, and it ran when they parked it in storage. It was a Tank brand 150cc scooter that looked "like a Vespa or something".

Tank is no longer in business, but this is essentially the same as every retro style chinese 150cc GY6 scooter. Parts are everywhere, and they seem to be decent cheap scooters.

We went to pick it up, and it was a little rougher than I epected. Even though it had a tarp over it, and was in a covered storage unit, it still looked like death.

Once we got it home I started taking it apart, I found out even though it was dirty, it was in pretty good shape.

I tore all of the plastics off and started getting into all of the fuel/vacuum hoses. I had no idea these things had all of this vacuum based parts.

The garage soon became a mess, so I cleaned it up and called it a day.

The next day, I decided to find out how many miles this poor scooter had gone before it was left to die in a storage unit. The dash was so yellowed, I couldn't even tell the dial layout before I sanded it down. After a few minutes, I was able to see what was hiding under all of that yellowed plastic. 516 miles is all she wrote before it was tossed aside.

I was able to start the scooter off my Ninja 250's battery, that way I could see if anything even worked. So far the controls need a little lube, the gas tank is horribly disgusting, and all of the fuel/vacuum lines are kind of brittle. I was able to start the scoot with some carb cleaner, so the ignition works.

So far here's what will have to happen to get this scoot back on the road.
  1. Replace all Fluids
  2. Clean fuel tank
  3. Replace Vacuum Petcock
  4. Replace front brake assembly
  5. Replace battery
  6. Replace tires

Another plan for this scoot is to vinyl wrap it pink. I haven't used vinyl wrap, but I always wanted to wrap the plastics on my bike because they're a bit scuffed up. This will be a good practice piece.

I have never worked on a scooter like this before, but I have done a lot of work on my Ninja 250 and various cars. This looks like a fun, easy tinkering project that will hopefully turn out to be something somewhat usable.
ptl6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
syncro87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Nice. Hard to beat the price. Worth it just as a guinea pig to gain some experience on, i.e. the wrap you spoke of.
current rides: 1988 BMW R100RT, 2013 Honda PCX150
syncro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
HelloPitty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Fun project, cool that you got it to jump start!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,328
For $20 with a title you simply cannot go wrong...
dbarale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 678
Change the oil, change the coolant if it's water cooled, check the level of the oil in the rear reduction box. Replace all the vacuum lines. New spark plug. You might have to clean the carburetor to get rid of dried up gas after sitting for so long. I searched on the internet and found a gas station that sells ethanol based gas (85% ethanol), and bought a gallon which I put in the filthy tank of a bike I bought, and just sloshed in around in there a couple of times a day for a few days, and that dissolved all the crud and got it pretty clean. Then figure out what to do with the dirty ethanol. And clean it everywhere you can because it's a crappy job to work on it when everything's dirty.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,189
Lucky dog 20 bucks for 5oo mile scooter . Here a video on doing a wrap

Old 06-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
ptl6spd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro87 View Post
Nice. Hard to beat the price. Worth it just as a guinea pig to gain some experience on, i.e. the wrap you spoke of.
Definitely, and though it's a bit rough on the outside it's mostly dirt and stuff that can be buffed out. I'm pretty hopeful it will be ready for the road without a whole lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloPitty View Post
Fun project, cool that you got it to jump start!
I was definitely surprised that the old plug still worked! I'll still be putting a new one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Change the oil, change the coolant if it's water cooled, check the level of the oil in the rear reduction box. Replace all the vacuum lines. New spark plug. You might have to clean the carburetor to get rid of dried up gas after sitting for so long. I searched on the internet and found a gas station that sells ethanol based gas (85% ethanol), and bought a gallon which I put in the filthy tank of a bike I bought, and just sloshed in around in there a couple of times a day for a few days, and that dissolved all the crud and got it pretty clean. Then figure out what to do with the dirty ethanol. And clean it everywhere you can because it's a crappy job to work on it when everything's dirty.
Going to be changing the fluids today while I wait for the tank to clean out over the next few days. Cleaned the carb last night, jets were definitely clogged. I'll give the E85 in the tank a try if I can find any locally, good idea! I've already started wiping the whole scoot down so it's easier to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Lucky dog 20 bucks for 5oo mile scooter . Here a video on doing a wrap

Thanks! I think we were pretty lucky, even though it will take some work it's probably worth way more than what we paid for it. Thanks for the video!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
ptl6spd OP
Adventurer

Cleaned the Carb

Took the carb apart to clean it up. Wasn't as bad as I expected, when I opened the float bowl drain the end of the plug was super nasty looking. The rest of the carb was pretty clean, but the jets were definitely clogged. Soaked them in carb cleaner for a few minutes while I wiped everything down, everything flows nicely now.

Definitely easier to work on than my Ninja's carbs.

Just waiting on the new petcock, and to clean out the gas tank. I'll be changing the oil and gearbox oil while I wait.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I've got the same thing in my garage (Schwinn Graduate) that my wife bought in '06. It's got few thousand trouble free miles on it and has never let us down. I ride it now, it's butt ugly and needs visual help. So I'll be watching to see where you go with this build/restore.

MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 896
Pretty cool! Nice price as well.

Would be a great time to check the valve clearance as well.
I hope it all works out for you and your gal. The gy6 is a decent little engine.
Maintain maintain maintain..

Keep us updated.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
ptl6spd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBike View Post
I've got the same thing in my garage (Schwinn Graduate) that my wife bought in '06. It's got few thousand trouble free miles on it and has never let us down. I ride it now, it's butt ugly and needs visual help. So I'll be watching to see where you go with this build/restore.

I plan to at least wrap the plastics in Vinyl, and keep any of the plastic chrome bits exposed. I will probably be paining the exhaust black for now as it's a bit rusted and pitted.

I think deep down it's not as bad as I thought, it was just super dirty. I'll be posting pics of the tank and the cleaned up frame/engine here soon.

Good to know of another name for this scoot, so I can find parts easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post
Pretty cool! Nice price as well.

Would be a great time to check the valve clearance as well.
I hope it all works out for you and your gal. The gy6 is a decent little engine.
Maintain maintain maintain..

Keep us updated.
Good idea, I know on most motorcycles the valves are supposed to be checked after the first 1k miles, didn't think about doing the same on this little engine. It's already all apart so it's just matter of getting out the feelers. Two valves is a lot easier than the eight in my Ninja
Old 06-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptl6spd View Post
Good to know of another name for this scoot, so I can find parts easier!
Not an endorsement, since I've never used them, but I keep this place bookmarked in case I have any troubles.

http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/cl...y_chassis.html

MiniBike screwed with this post 06-18-2015 at 04:03 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 PM   #13
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,189
if probably be paining the exhaust black ether use High temp manafold pant or the stuff they you one your barbeque . I m guessing you knew that but I have to be nice at least once a year.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
Duck Dodgers
Rock n Roll Refugee

Oddometer: 536
High Temp Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
if probably be paining the exhaust black ether use High temp manafold pant or the stuff they you one your barbeque . I m guessing you knew that but I have to be nice at least once a year.
Don't forget paint for wood stoves. Many more colors to choose from.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-S...int-and-Polish
Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
This was right here under my nose and I missed it!!!!

02 Heritage Softail Classic * 98 Honda CR250 * 91 RM125 * 83 OSSA 303 Trials * 76.5 OSSA GPII * 80 KAWASAKI KE175 * 01 XR100 * 74 XR75 * 71 Trail 70
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote