Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #331
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
Could always take the seat off too.
if you get the bar risers, you'll have to get an extra tall helmet!
ferenc
ps do you have the short, medium, or tall seat option?
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #332
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkovacs View Post
if you get the bar risers, you'll have to get an extra tall helmet!
ferenc
ps do you have the short, medium, or tall seat option?

Standard, so I guess that would be medium. I am ordering a Sargent tomorrow, I can get a real good deal. So far I am really liking the windshield. A lot less windy for sure! Looks pretty cool too.

Bar risers will be here tomorrow, goes for the run in check and new cables over the weekend.

Radiator guard will be here tomorrow too.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #333
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Standard, so I guess that would be medium. I am ordering a Sargent tomorrow, I can get a real good deal. So far I am really liking the windshield. A lot less windy for sure! Looks pretty cool too.

Bar risers will be here tomorrow, goes for the run in check and new cables over the weekend.

Radiator guard will be here tomorrow too.
wow, i'm impressed with all the stuff you're doing so quickly!
before i proceed with more mods, i'm hiring a consumer fraud atty. tomorrow - still not sure if your '12 tank is 16l or 13.5l.

got pics of the windshield setup? if it's the wrong setup, buffeting can be worse that naked, eh?

my next mod would be the front suspension on this on whatever bike i wind up with,
ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #334
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkovacs View Post
wow, i'm impressed with all the stuff you're doing so quickly!
before i proceed with more mods, i'm hiring a consumer fraud atty. tomorrow - still not sure if your '12 tank is 16l or 13.5l.

got pics of the windshield setup? if it's the wrong setup, buffeting can be worse that naked, eh?

my next mod would be the front suspension on this on whatever bike i wind up with,
ferenc

I purposely put money aside for a few things before buying the bike, I am also extremely fortunate to have some connections in the parts business.

Mounting the Wunderlich radiator guard was a bitch, it was difficult to get a wrench on the upper nuts, and I wish I would have removed the chicken wire from the back of it before installing.

No buffeting from the windshield at all and its a really nice product, a little noisier though. it looks like it belongs the way it mounts.

I will put up some pics tomorrow
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #335
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Mounting the Wunderlich radiator guard was a bitch, it was difficult to get a wrench on the upper nuts, and I wish I would have removed the chicken wire from the back of it before installing.
Yeah, I painted mine silver and mounted it, didn't like it, so I took it off and painted it black again, then had to mount it a second time. But if you think that's a bitch, try their crash bars. By the time I was done with that, I thought my testicles were earrings.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #336
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I'm thinking of getting the panniers for it but I'm not interested in a top case. Unfortuately, I think the BMW mount comes with the pannier mount and top case mount.

I was considering the Givi system instead since it is simple, easy to install, and doesn't have the top case mount.

Any suggestions on this? Or alternatives?
jonpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #337
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
I'm thinking of getting the panniers for it but I'm not interested in a top case. Unfortuately, I think the BMW mount comes with the pannier mount and top case mount.

I was considering the Givi system instead since it is simple, easy to install, and doesn't have the top case mount.

Any suggestions on this? Or alternatives?
I am curious about side cases too, I dont like the factory cases at all.

I was thinking of these, easy to install and remove, economical, and they look decent on the bike, there is a pic of them mounted to an F8R. I dont need them on the bike all the time, so why not soft cases.

http://f800depot.com/hepco-becker-c-...ggage-kit.html

moe.ron screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 09:32 PM
moe.ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #338
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I ended up getting the BMW bags but was seriously considering these. http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...typid=59581487

Here they are in this country. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6907/751/
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #339
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
I ended up getting the BMW bags but was seriously considering these. http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...typid=59581487

I saw those too and liked them. The Hepco Beckers look a little sturdier and they dont go over the seat. They are about the same price as well. SW Motech makes great stuff, I love their products.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #340
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Hmm, I didn't really look into soft cases. I'd prefer a lock and totally waterproof bags. But the soft cases seem to mount much cleaner and easier than the hard ones. Plus the price is waaaaay cheaper than the BMW ones ($1650CAD).

Thanks for the recommendations.

Edit: took a look at those sw-motech ones today and they're quite nice. I'm gonna buy those plus some heated gear all for well under the price of just the BMW ones.

jonpurdy screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 01:55 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #341
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,354
For luggage, I have SW-Motech Quick Lock Evo Frames (remove in less than a minute) mounted with 26 litre Nanuk Cases, the rear top case is 20 litres and mounted onto a SW-Motech Alu Rack via a universal adapter plate, again, reemoves in less than half a minute.

The other bits on the bike, as someone will ask otherwise, BMW bug spoiler, colour coded along with front mudguard (fender to you). Puig screen, with Wunderlich instrument supports. SW-Motech centre stand. Tank bag is FAMSA Mini Bag, mouted on their standard F800R base. F800ST bar ends attached via custom adapters, vibes down by 95%.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #342
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
F800ST bar ends attached via custom adapters, vibes down by 95%.
I looked into those today but they're a bit too long for my taste. But 95% reduction is fantastic. Do you know the weight of them?

I'm also looking into getting some bar ends:
http://cjmoto.com/-strse-1336/Rizoma...hts/Detail.bok

They're 60 grams. I guess I'd want the heaviest ones available.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #343
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
I looked into those today but they're a bit too long for my taste. But 95% reduction is fantastic. Do you know the weight of them?

I'm also looking into getting some bar ends:
http://cjmoto.com/-strse-1336/Rizoma...hts/Detail.bok

They're 60 grams. I guess I'd want the heaviest ones available.
Yes, they look big, but I've sort of got used to them. The standard bar end and bolt weighed in at 474 grammes and the new assembly at 720 grammes, so I've added nearly half a kilo (1 lb) to the ends of the bars in total!

The vibes are down to the point that I don't think about them now, but I always did on every ride before.

Here's the pic's I posted earlier - linky.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #344
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

How much do the stock bar ends weigh?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #345
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
How much do the stock bar ends weigh?
I thought someone would ask the question, so that's why I included it in the post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
The standard bar end and bolt weighed in at 474 grammes.