Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #451
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
Karhnage and I just did a instructional track day this last Wednesday and had our suspension adjusted by the suspension guy there. Hey cranked them way more than what BMW recommended. We had them turned to the recommended values and on his he cranked at least an extra 9+ and on mine it was at least an extra 6+ measureing the sag with and without us. Worked much much better. The suspension on these things is pretty bad, way too soft. I had the bike go squirrly under me a few times both in accelerating and in braking so I think it's the suspension more than anything.

What were your facotry tires? Our Pilot Powers are holding pretty good and they did great on the track. I was leaned over as far as you could lean that thing over without going down. I've been thinking about getting a set of PR3's in the winter because the amount of water on the roads we get out here but I'd imagine they'd wear out quick in any other season.
Hi, I also started with a stiff rear suspension but found the relatively soft front end presenting me with a huge challenge. My 'logic' was to balance the front and the rear suspension (I'm no expert!) I will never forget that first front end dive on route 84 here coming into a turn. the relatively stronger brakes excaseberated the experience :-)

My rear factory tire the bike came with is a Michelin Pilot Power and Michelin said not to mix treads. I still may. The two mushroom plugs I put in about 1k miles ago are down to one working plug.

I am looking into alternatives - have a southwest trip planned to Cloudcroft, NM and want to have more reliable rubber under me ...

If I do hang on to my 13.5l bike ("jury is still out"), as is, front suspension is the next project, for sure,
Ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #452
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Clockwise and I think the BMW recommendation was 11 and 12 for our height and weight if I remember correctly so what I wrote earlier was added to that.
Just to be sure I understand how you did it...

So the knob is turned counterclockwise to a full stop and then turned back clockwise about 20 clicks? The 11 recommended by BMW then another 9 the suspension guy added? Wow, sounds stiff.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #453
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Yup, we applied the initial 11 or 12. Then watched him crank the crap out of it. I lost count but counted at least that much on my buddies. Then counted about 6 on mine. The responsiveness of the bike was instantly better in the first turn.
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #454
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup, we applied the initial 11 or 12. Then watched him crank the crap out of it. I lost count but counted at least that much on my buddies. Then counted about 6 on mine. The responsiveness of the bike was instantly better in the first turn.
how did the front behave under those settings?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #455
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
The front is soft and squishy and independant of the rear. It sucks and not going to change since there's no way to change without replacing it.
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #456
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguy1288 View Post
My F8R, before I installed the Wunderlich radiator guard and instrument panel reinforcers.

Also on the list of future mods:
-Slip-on Exhaust (haven't decided which yet)
-BoosterPlug
-Eliminate the tail on the back(should be done by the end of the week, I'm custom fabricating an aluminum bracket.)
-Ermax windscreen
-Engine Spoiler
-LED indicators and Taillight
-Red Shorty Pazzo's
-Solo Seat cowl
-Rear hugger

When I get the hugger, spoiler and seat cowl, I'm going to repaint everything to Black or dark silver more than likely

Welcome to the fun. Nice looking bike.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #457
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

I put the Two Brothers on today. It sounds a lot deeper and throatier, but a little loud. I ordered a Power Tip for it that will lower the noise 3-4 db. I didnt weigh either of them but the TB has to be 2/3 lighter. The butt dyno doesnt indicate any added horsepower but the throttle response seems a little smoother, just a little though. I had it installed in about 30 minutes, overall I am happy.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #458
Corbets
Gravity Slave

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkovacs View Post

What is the general recommendation out there for a replacement rear tyre?

I am tempted to go with the Michelin PR2, which I have on my other (running) bike.

Enjoy,
Ferenc
Go with the PR3s. You've probably read on the f800forums that everyone loves them (except one guy here, I think, who says they almost killed him) but they are so much better than the stock tires on the street that there's really no comparison. I've put 4 or 5 thousand km on mine so far, and the tread depth is still fine.
Corbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #459
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
Go with the PR3s. You've probably read on the f800forums that everyone loves them (except one guy here, I think, who says they almost killed him) but they are so much better than the stock tires on the street that there's really no comparison. I've put 4 or 5 thousand km on mine so far, and the tread depth is still fine.
thanks, i'm getting aboard the train ;-) - have one on the way.
my upcoming planned trip through the southwest (USA) will likely see some huge temperature swings and we'll see how they hold up from below sea level to >3km elevations - mole hill to you!

perhaps my front will be cause for more concern in the heat,
ferenc
Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #460
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
I put the Two Brothers on today. It sounds a lot deeper and throatier, but a little loud. I ordered a Power Tip for it that will lower the noise 3-4 db. I didnt weigh either of them but the TB has to be 2/3 lighter. The butt dyno doesnt indicate any added horsepower but the throttle response seems a little smoother, just a little though. I had it installed in about 30 minutes, overall I am happy.
looks great - got audio?
ferenc
Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #461
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkovacs View Post
looks great - got audio?
ferenc
Not yet, this weekend.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #462
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Replacing with PR3s instead of Sportec Z3s is about 50% more expensive. Worth it?
jonpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #463
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

The TB pipe has some popping and burbling, just like any other aftermarket can on any bike. Wish I could make it go away, its not obnoxious or anything, just not me anymore. Damn I am old...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #464
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
The TB pipe has some popping and burbling, just like any other aftermarket can on any bike. Wish I could make it go away, its not obnoxious or anything, just not me anymore. Damn I am old...
Never had that with my GPR pipe, but had one of these fitted pretty much since I had the bike, so don't know if that makes the difference. Either way, it works and worth the money.

Acclerator.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #465
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

pr3 pressure & rear suspension resets?

Quote:
so i bought the pr3 from 4wheelsonline.com ($167.95) and had them put on by a local guy ($22) after having had some difficulties in the past with my old suzuiki wheels and michelins and have a short report.

the tire guy suggested 37 pounds of pressure, but i put it on 41, as i recall reading to use the pressure the vehicle manufacturer specs. the tire is much firmer than the original pilot power, even before it went flat (!) causing ther ride to be stiff (as i like it), but the front suspension's short comings came into play, causing for a somewhat unpredictable handling situation.

is it play with the pressure and rear suspension time? i am tempted to reduce the pressure in the rear by 10% and see what happens.

what is the recommendation out there from folks with a pr3 rear?

enjoy,
ferenc
ps still planning out my cloudcroft round trip, but i hear they get some serious weather out there, year-round.