Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #61
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,504
they have a different brake lever that is offset. I have it now. they didi a exchange for me
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #62
johnwesley OP
wanta be

here is a few pics of the offset brake arm

If I was to do this again I would go with the offset arm regardless if it was needed for the exhaust. It put the brake pedal in the right spot with the pegs I have. Before it set to far inside and one would have to angle his foot in to reach the brake pedal
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #63
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 452
I stumbled onto your build, don't quite know how I got here because I've been clicking so many links. Really like the build.
I was in Eureka Springs April 1st for the Hillbilly Dual Sport meet so I read your Ark ride report. Looks like your into the kind of riding we do.
http://www.okdualsport.com/forum/for...?TID=2032&PN=1
I was thinking about doing a Phil Little Sportster conversion.
http://www.phillittleracing.com/SXR.html
After seeing your build it blows away the thought of a street flat tracker.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #64
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,726
Hey John,

Been following your build for a while now. Looks awesome! I really like where you're taking it.

I have a couple of questions. On the shift lever, why not put a folding tip on it so it won't pretzel in a tip over (same question for brake lever if it doesn't have a folding tip)? Along the same lines (i.e. what might break when you fall), it looks like your steering stop that you welded to the head tube might shear in a crash. Are you planning on beefing that up? That area will receive a lot of force if/when the bars dig into the dirt.

Can't wait to see it all done!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #65
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I stumbled onto your build, don't quite know how I got here because I've been clicking so many links. Really like the build.
I was in Eureka Springs April 1st for the Hillbilly Dual Sport meet so I read your Ark ride report. Looks like your into the kind of riding we do.
http://www.okdualsport.com/forum/for...?TID=2032&PN=1
I was thinking about doing a Phil Little Sportster conversion.
http://www.phillittleracing.com/SXR.html
After seeing your build it blows away the thought of a street flat tracker.
Thanks, I haven't done the hillbilly yet, but had a few friends there this year. Maybe one day

I've seen the street tracker and it's a cool build. I just wanted something I could play in the dirt with
Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #66
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Hey John,

Been following your build for a while now. Looks awesome! I really like where you're taking it.

I have a couple of questions. On the shift lever, why not put a folding tip on it so it won't pretzel in a tip over (same question for brake lever if it doesn't have a folding tip)? Along the same lines (i.e. what might break when you fall), it looks like your steering stop that you welded to the head tube might shear in a crash. Are you planning on beefing that up? That area will receive a lot of force if/when the bars dig into the dirt.

Can't wait to see it all done!

-SM

Those are some good thoughts, my other concern is the foot pegs as they only fold straight up. That will put a lot of pressure on the mount if I was to take a spill at speed, which I have done before. It really does need folding tips I just haven't got that far yet. Right now the parts are just getting mocked up for fitments. The shifter side is going to need some work with the linkage to move it in a bit and the pegs will need to be lowered about 2"
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #67
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
I like the looks of the new "off-set" brake lever. Looks like you mounted the master cylinder on the top mounts though - was that to give more clearance to the exhaust ? Any concerns on the angle of the plunger ?

I found a used exhaust same as yours, so I'll be doing the same off-set. Lets see if Shane will help on the lowering of the pegs now

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #68
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,309
I only dream of doing projects like this! Looks like a good one. I had a Sportster that I really enjoyed but never thought of making it an ADV bike.

It looks kind of like this VT500 Honda Ascot that used to run around here in the Rockies Forum.

atokad screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 09:46 PM
atokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #69
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
I like the looks of the new "off-set" brake lever. Looks like you mounted the master cylinder on the top mounts though - was that to give more clearance to the exhaust ? Any concerns on the angle of the plunger ?

I found a used exhaust same as yours, so I'll be doing the same off-set. Lets see if Shane will help on the lowering of the pegs now
I will move the MC to the lower set of holes, originally it was the only place for it. The lower holes would cause interference between the MC and brake lever

if shane does decide to help, which he seemed to busy to do, I think it would be nice to have just the pegs lowered. The new brake lever has more adjustment and can be lowered enough to work. Plus this keeps the MC in tight against the bike so is less prone to damage in the event of a fall.

you can see in this pic how much you'd have to move the MC out if Shane lowered the whole kit

I think its cool you found the same exhaust, it is amazing how these two bikes are going in a similar direction and we're 1500+ miles apart. At the same time the details are going to make the two look totally different, but function similarly. It would be cool to meet up and do a bike swap and see how they feel compared to each other

I have the shock stroke to wheel travel figured at 1.77:1 and have found some Ohlins that should work out. May have to do a little work on the damping circuits to get it fine tuned.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #70
johnwesley OP
wanta be

You have to watch Rick he'll get you what ever you want and some times that want isn't the cheapest thing in the shop. Some of us are our own worst problem. There are things that no one in there right mind needs or should speed their hard earned money on, but then I've heard I aint right

I have the shocks picked out and the bike isn't lighter but my billfold sure is

Now we are looking at 12" travel in the front and 11" in the rear should be a nice controlled cushy ride that'll give ya a good nose bleed

johnwesley screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 02:26 PM
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #71
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
WOW!

I just bought a new shock for my latest motorcycle project. I think I'll give Rick a call tomorrow!

This build is awesome JW! I gave up Harleys years ago but you have me thinking. Seriously though, I have two Kawasaki builds going on and I don't need another project. It looks great! Something out of the box is always cool. Can't wait to see it finished.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #72
Nitro Circus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post

Now we are looking at 12" travel in the front and 11" in the rear should be a nice controlled cushy ride that'll give ya a good nose bleed
John, those look like a work of art.

I went from 1.4" of dodgy stock wheel travel to 4". Tripling it for a great improvement for anything smoother than a fire access road... You're gonna have triple mine! 11" is true dirt bike territory. Eager to see this all bolted up and hear how you like it!
Nitro Circus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #73
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
nuff said.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #74
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,376
A thought that has occurred to me is the foot peg mounts directly to the engine case. That is a serious weakness. BMW did that on the GS1100 and had issues with it. They fixed it with a steel plate that mounts to the frame and then redesigned it for the revised GS1150.

Do you think you can fabricate something like that?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #75
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Talking

thanks guys

the beauty in these shocks is the adjustable features it has. You can adjust the shock length and stroke. Plus the valve and shim stack is in the adjusters and each operate independently. So the range of adjustment is awesome, plus you can re-valve them with out take the shock apart as the shim stack unscrews from the shock. This is a new twin tube design, not to be confused with the old twin tubes. This design has oil flowing between the tubes and is why they can set them up like they do. Its new shock technology that sounds very good to me