Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #31
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
I'm tellin' ya'... the Surefires duct taped to the helmet are the way to go... really.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #32
ktmbmw
Getting there

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
all passenger cars made today shut off driving lights and low beams when the high beams are turned on. for those who claim ktm made their bikes do this because of current draw... why do automobiles do it?
I have a Chrysler Pacifica with HID, and the HID is on for 'low beam' and when the 'highs' are on the HID stays on. I know that HID combined with 'standard' lights have other considerations, for one the HID takes too long to 'light' to have them turn off when the high beams are engaged.

I do agree that running both 'standard' lights together when they are designed to run individually could over heat the wiring.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #33
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
FYI: LED rally lights are now available

I noticed that LEDs are hitting the off-road market:

Grote Industries in the Baja 1000:
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/news/4/4/10

I don't see that rally product but they do produce these:
http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=63571
I can't find suppliers online except this one:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/OTTS-F...368483QQsofpZ0

It is rebranded as Soltek for the off-road market:
http://www.atvillustrated.com/?q=node/1108
And sold through Baja Designs:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/net/main...S&category=375

You can change the beam shape by changing the lens (so they say), and 2880 lumens ain't bad for 50W consumption eh? Plus the price is competitive with HIDs. But the current draw is 4 amps so beware! Probably NOT DOT LEGAL... maybe if the lens controls the beam properly. At best it could be a high-beam or an accessory light.

PS - it is not 3.5-4" round like the stock headlights on the ADV, it is ~9x6x4" deep, but it could be mounted ala creeper through the fairing... just for kicks (lamp not to scale):

PS - beam diagrams for the Trillian/Soltek lights (all three lenses) here:
http://www.grote.com/prodcat/attachments/635XX.pdf

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 05-02-2008 at 01:43 PM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #34
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
I'm tellin' ya'... the Surefires duct taped to the helmet are the way to go... really.
I know you changed your mind and went with a Trail Tech HID, but just in case anyone is thinking about your idea there are commercial solutions that might function better. I know Surefire makes solutions for barrel mounts but I don't know of any helmet mounts. (this came up in another thread; just coagulating it)

A MTB friend of mine swears by Niterider, and here are their helmet mounted off-road solutions:

http://www.niterideroffroad.com/hm.shtml

Note the riders they sponsor and in which events. They are expensive, but a bit cheaper than true HID fixtures such as the Hella Micro DE HID setups. And having a 40W HID strapped to your helmet sure would lend power to your glances at other motorists.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
meat popsicle
Ignostic

OK I'm startin' to feel like Potatoho...

so this is it for my LCD lighting posts.

One more choice I have seen From Truck-Lite (UK):

Series 81 Work Lamp

Not sure about input/output details yet, but I think this one takes only 1.2 amps, and the form factor is better than rectangular. Anyways, might find them below $100 each in the US, like HERE.

I am awaiting a beam diagram so their output pattern and intensity can be compared to others, like the Grote/Soltek above as well as HID and halogen lamps. I'll post it if it shows up. EDIT: I received the engineering specs on this lamp from Truck-Lite, which includes Isocandela Scans (some type of beam diagram). But I am having trouble comparing them to the above because candela and lux are not directly comparable... Anyways, if you want it PM me your email and I will let you have it.

They don't have beam diagrams with lux, but they do have other's isocandela scans... and led me to more MFGs:

http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm...Id=66&pId=2704
http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/for..._6700_LED.html

I don't know if any of these "utility lights" output is near the Grote Trilliant (which approaches HID output... ) but for ~$100/light they are much cheaper (than ~$500).

meat popsicle screwed with this post 05-15-2008 at 01:43 PM
Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #36
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I'm currently working on an LED solution for the Xc and the 640 adventure. It's going to be a mountable light and its going to kick out some serious light with only a minimal amount of power. One of my friends designs lights for aircraft and has some super hot LEDs that only draw 15 or so watts. We're currently working on designing the enclosure and the circuit board.

I will keep everyone posted. Please let me know if you're interested and let me know how much coin you'd be willing to drop on something like this. We're trying to keep them around $250 but with all the machining and custom lenses they may be a bit more.

This photo was taken with my iphone...the wall is about 50 feet away. I wish I had my real camera but I was to excited to take any photos of other stuff. That's 10 volts at 15 watts. I will attempt to get some real photos of it outside at night and compared to my factory 640 adventure high beam.

jamesdemien screwed with this post 02-06-2009 at 09:10 AM
jamesdemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #37
bEnt_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
If you can do that with 15w draw I'm interested
Let's see the comparo pic's

light em up...
bEnt_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #38
macuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
yeah that looks pretty bright. It's just a matter of having a balance between legality, safety and enough light to go fast.
macuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #39
ktmbmw
Getting there

Oddometer: 309
count me in

I'm interested, I don't have an ADV but an SXC, if the light is easily mounted to
the hand guard that would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien
I'm currently working on an LED solution for the Xc and the 640 adventure. It's going to be a mountable light and its going to kick out some serious light with only a minimal amount of power. One of my friends designs lights for aircraft and has some super hot LEDs that only draw 15 or so watts. We're currently working on designing the enclosure and the circuit board.

I will keep everyone posted. Please let me know if you're interested and let me know how much coin you'd be willing to drop on something like this. We're trying to keep them around $250 but with all the machining and custom lenses they may be a bit more.

This photo was taken with my iphone...the wall is about 50 feet away. I wish I had my real camera but I was to excited to take any photos of other stuff. That's 10 volts at 15 watts. I will attempt to get some real photos of it outside at night and compared to my factory 640 adventure high beam.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #40
SCsurfer
surfing explorer

Oddometer: 172
Put me on your list .
Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #41
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Nice work Meat Popcicle, I have to give you some credit for coming up with the difference in LEDs and most other lights.
For some dumb ass unforsaken frickin reason they have to measure LEDs in Lux and everything else in candle power, go figure.
If he didn't come along so late in the game I'd be blamin Obama.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #42
meat popsicle
Ignostic

JamesDamien,

if you are going to design LEDs for the 640a, and your buddy knows lighting design, then perhaps you can design a kit that would work with the stock lamps. I have read that the stock lamps are designed to work with how a H1 bulb makes light (filament shape and position), which is why throwing some HID bulbs in there doesn't always work out well, but if you are designing LED setups you might be able to setup an LED to sit inside the lamp correctly and maybe even produce good light.

That would be a very cost-effective solution, although I am not a fan of the low-beam's hard cuttoff... the inside of corners goes black when I lean, which is not good for my confidence!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #43
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Meat - We were thinking of something that may not be street legal and installing it on the blinker stalk with some blinky yellow lights in it. There would be a switch that mounts on the bars next to the normal switchgear.

We will look at building something that goes in the stock position but the shot below was taken of LEDs with a lens on them. I'm not sure how it would work if it where in the stock Adventure lens.

Does anyone have an old sort of busted up 640 headlight they'd send me for testing?

I don't want to scavenge parts from my bike for testing because its riding weather here.

KTMBMW - you should be able to mount it anywhere you want. We're working on coming up with a good way to mount it with the ability to aim the light. A handle bar mount should be pretty easy to come up with.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #44
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien
Does anyone have an old sort of busted up 640 headlight they'd send me for testing?
I may. I'll contact the victim and get back to you.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #45
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath
I may. I'll contact the victim and get back to you.

S.C.
That would be really cool...