S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #47
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien
I'm currently working on an LED solution for the Xc and the 640 adventure. It's going to be a mountable light and its going to kick out some serious light with only a minimal amount of power. One of my friends designs lights for aircraft and has some super hot LEDs that only draw 15 or so watts. We're currently working on designing the enclosure and the circuit board.
Not to get off- topic but while you are busy designing the accessory headlight how about tackling the rear as well. The tail end of the LC4s just don't give much light in traffic. Lots of folks are adding emergency vehicle LEDs as brake lights but they are really too bright for street use. The trick is making the appropriate current controller to dim the light a little. Something like this http://www.strobesnmore.com/nova-wid...mini-leds.html with a low current for running and higher 2-3 flash then steady for brake. The 2"x4"x.35" light would be easy to mount on just about any bike.

I've been trying to research a suitable LED controller but my electronic circuit design skills are just too rusty.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #48
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
Not to get off- topic but while you are busy designing the accessory headlight how about tackling the rear as well. The tail end of the LC4s just don't give much light in traffic. Lots of folks are adding emergency vehicle LEDs as brake lights but they are really too bright for street use. The trick is making the appropriate current controller to dim the light a little. Something like this http://www.strobesnmore.com/nova-wid...mini-leds.html with a low current for running and higher 2-3 flash then steady for brake. The 2"x4"x.35" light would be easy to mount on just about any bike.

I've been trying to research a suitable LED controller but my electronic circuit design skills are just too rusty.
Sounds good... I've had a couple of the cheaper LED lights back there and they all sucked... I'm sure we could build one that would work better but I'm not sure if it would be cost effective. I'll let you guys know.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #49
sac
Job 21:3

Oddometer: 8
Tail light ideas

Did a quick search of this thread and checked the index (quickly) for ideas on improving the performance/visibility of the tail light. I have an 07 640 Adventure and on any given ride over 1 hour i have to replace the bulb. any suggestions?
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #50
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,280
try a 1157 led..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #51
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
try a 1157 led..
And get one with red leds pointing also to sides.
Better than ones with leds pointing back.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #52
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac
Did a quick search of this thread and checked the index (quickly) for ideas on improving the performance/visibility of the tail light. I have an 07 640 Adventure and on any given ride over 1 hour i have to replace the bulb. any suggestions?
Do you have a top box?

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #53
BottleRocket
Look! Something shiny!

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien
Meat - We were thinking of something that may not be street legal and installing it on the blinker stalk with some blinky yellow lights in it. There would be a switch that mounts on the bars next to the normal switchgear.

We will look at building something that goes in the stock position but the shot below was taken of LEDs with a lens on them. I'm not sure how it would work if it where in the stock Adventure lens.

Does anyone have an old sort of busted up 640 headlight they'd send me for testing?

I don't want to scavenge parts from my bike for testing because its riding weather here.

KTMBMW - you should be able to mount it anywhere you want. We're working on coming up with a good way to mount it with the ability to aim the light. A handle bar mount should be pretty easy to come up with.
Anything happen with this idea lately? I'd really be interested in upping my output...wait, that sounds funny. Still....?
BottleRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #54
sac
Job 21:3

Oddometer: 8
Tail light ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyer37
Do you have a top box?
No, a soft duffle for long trips.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #55
tdreyer
KTiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac
No, a soft duffle for long trips.
I use a pelican case as a top box. Went to wally world and bought an oval led trailer tail/brake light(they sell them in round as well). Trimmed off all the excess plastic, wired it in with the oem unit and glued it to the back of the box. Works great, way bright, and cheap. I also use a led 1157 in the oem housing. I got a pair of them from auto zone, so I have a spare. With a red lens get red led, not white!

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #56
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,159
I always expected more activity on the LC4 light threads, since the stock stuff is inadequate. Anyways, hope folks know they can improve the stock lighting by upgrading the wiring between the battery and the lamps (the lamps are good quality). But nothing will improve the impact of the hard-cutoff on the low beam in corners...

Anyways, my post is for an odd thing that happened: my bike must have been tipped over by someone in a town recently because when I came out the hi/low beam switch was broken. Only the rocker switch cracked, and lost some material; I thought dang idjuts! But then I noticed that the switch now has a NEW POSITION!

I can now move the switch past HI and it makes an OFF position. Maybe the rocker portion of the switch can be replaced to allow y'all to access the off portion of the switch, or you can pennytech it and cut/break a bit off yours too. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #57
tdreyer
KTiM

The rocker has a little plastic nub molded into it to keep it from being moved to the off position. I took my switch appart to make it capable of the off function. I you choose to drill out the rivets be careful there are some small spring and a ball bearings in there.

No need for that though. Get a flash light and look at the top of the rocker where it goes into the housing. Put it in the low position, if you were to try to push it to the unmarked off position you should see the plastic protrusion that keeps it from moving to off (thanks DOT). Now get an exato knife or a small razor knife and gently but firmly lop that thing off.

I did this so I could set at looong lights in the summer with the key on so the fan would run but the lights would be off. It would also seem to be big ++ if the issue of starting the bike with a dead battery and having the lights off thing ever came up.

The only down sides to this I can see is if that little nub that was just cut off wedged it's way into a spot to prevent you from moving the switch, although I can't see it ever keeping you from at least being able to have low beam. It could, I suppose, keep you from switching to high or off.

If you carefully take the switch appart it can be done with no issues. If you break the switch a KTM replacement is $$. Most aftermarket switches I see like the SICASS http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/...&ppinc=search2 are still $$, but also appear to have an off position?

I have a new like for my off as well. I have a Trail Tech X2 HID, so the ballasts don't get cycled unnecessarily I switch the lights to off before starting the bike, once up and running I then turn the light on.

Meat? How do I rename a link to something other than the big old long address? So I can make it say something catchy like, linky or here...

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #58
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
There is two set of mounting holes on light carrier...
One set for left hand traffic, and other for right hand traffic.

Is anybody ever try make third set of holes between these two original sets?

Shallow V shaped cutoff?
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #59
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyer37

Meat? How do I rename a link to something other than the big old long address? So I can make it say something catchy like, linky or here...
neato link

quote this post to see the format for an embedded link.

and thanks for the light switch tip; better than breaking the buggah, but i had no choice in the matter.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #60
K2ride
Single track mind!

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikkailu_R

Shallow V shaped cutoff?
You can do it yourself on the original 640adv low beam.

Mine had a busted protective lens so I took it apart to investigate the inners with the help of a thread that was posted here a while back.

Access to the cutoff shield is easy enough but it's difficult to determine the proper alteration to produce the desired beem patern; the hard part is the the removal of the protective lens without cracking it.

It's pretty much a "trial & error" doings but you can glue/rivet/weld a new shield onto the original if you went overboard with the cutoff mod.