Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,411
Blue air filter / paper filter / K&N, any opinions?

I've usually used K&N air filters in my bikes, but haven't yet made any changes to the GS. I also know the air filter change often goes hand-in-hand with an exhaust mod, so perhaps this question is best fielded to that crowd. .

I see some options, including Wunderlich's 'Blue Filter', listing for about $90. Ouch. The equivalent K&N is half that.

Thoughts on air filter options? What works, what have you tried?

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 688
Uni - K&N will let dirt in(period!)
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,665
Yepper, a foam is the only way to go. All the aftermarket filters are going to be higher maintenance (like 3k mile interval unless you use the pre-filter for the snorkel) but you get much better filtration and re-useable, water doesn't distort or damage them either. Retail on the Uni Australia with pre-filter kit is $63.80 which makes it the best choice for my money!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Grumpy
Grumpy

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack
I've usually used K&N air filters in my bikes, but haven't yet made any changes to the GS. I also know the air filter change often goes hand-in-hand with an exhaust mod, so perhaps this question is best fielded to that crowd. .

I see some options, including Wunderlich's 'Blue Filter', listing for about $90. Ouch. The equivalent K&N is half that.

Thoughts on air filter options? What works, what have you tried?
Check this out for what it's worth !!!

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
jetmech1990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
K&N work great if you oil them correctly....have them on my cars, quads, rhino..intake tracts are spotless...
jetmech1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,660
K&n!

Crap. Foam from BMW of Atlanta is the only way to go on a GS.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech1990
K&N work great if you oil them correctly....have them on my cars, quads, rhino..intake tracts are spotless...
But,....oiling them correctly means killing any CFM gains they advertise from a "flows better the dirtier it gets" campaign

I've had a few K&N's in my life time. After running around in high horsepower Supra's and powerstroke's I learned the benefits of a good foam filter. Cotton gauze is crap, specially if there's dirt involved. When's the last time you saw a current day dirt bike come with a paper or cotton gauze filter?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 688
what part of the country are you from?
I live in AZ and have never once seen a clean intake from an off road vehicle running a K&N and yes they were oiled correctly. Do you just look at the intake or have you actually run you finger down it?

Quote:
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Kiwirich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Wicked It's actually really easy

Go for the foam with a pre filter on the snorkel & never worry again

There may well be a gain with K & N but the real question is how often do you want to rebuild the engine ??????

Richard
Kiwirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
jetmech1990
Adventurer

Well have 100K on my powerstroke, 2000 miles on my rhino, and my quad is an 03 with alot of seasons under its belt and haven't even done a top end due to "scoring" yet. The only thing in my intake for my excursion was oil from my crank case vent, I did replace the turbo...because I wanted more boost, not due to a failure... and the impeller looked great and not "eroded". I haven't seen a dirt bike with a cotton gauze filter in the stock air box(probably due to its shape)...ran a UNI on my CR worked good. I'll keep you posted when I rebuild my boxer because I have a K&N on it....hope your all around long enough to see that post...you'll be waiting a while...now I'm worried about my sea-doo's...they don't have filters at all...might blow up soon due to volcanic ash over the water...

The prefilter is a good idea...I believe in outerwears

and I said oiling correctly..not OVER oiling...do you not oil a foam? I'm sure the sticky filter oil increases CFM on a foam also

or you can always just stay out front and let the "foam" guys filter the air behind you

BTW I'm from SoCal...we have dirt here too

And BMW Atlanta your quote "flows better the dirtier it gets" haven't seen K&N make that claim...but I have seen it in True Flow FOAM filter ads...mmmmm, how does that work?? maybe you miss quoted...but hell if thats the case I'm switching everything to foam and never cleaning a filter again...

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/airfilter.html Good link...this debate has been around a long time

jetmech1990 screwed with this post 05-08-2010 at 12:48 PM
Old 05-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

What I do know is that the Unifilter Australia filter oiled properly for an R1200 will out flow a dry K&N, Blue Filter or OEM by over 50 cfm on a flow bench.

I also know a little company called HPN that will not run any cotton gauze product on their boxers after prematurely loosing compression in a few dakar bikes during testing (not one, but every single bike they ran equipped with a cotton gauze filter)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
jetmech1990
Adventurer

key words...flow bench, dry, dakar...as you can see by my user name....I work in a industry where you can't pull over to the side of the road...so MY and OTHERS lifes depends on it...and everything i maintain will not leave me stranded...EVER...ANYWHERE....20+ years in the industry...and any number can be relpicated on a "flow bench" so that data can read what ever you want it to read...second you say "dry" K&N..they aren't supposed to be ran dry...duh...and third..we are riding a fucking GS...not a dakar rally bike...where money doesn't matter and sponsers pay the billls...apples and oranges...but then again...I don't sell parts or services

Secondly you "quote CFM increase by 50 CFM on a flow bench"...i'm not a BMW dealer...can a stock BMW 1200 handle an increase of 50 CFM?...stock? how about just a slip on?...full exhaust....head work...bored throttle bodies....? if it can't how do you benefit from more CFM?...these are "flow bench" and "sales" numbers...not useable numbers...unless you have a highly modded motor...there is going to be a cork in the system.

jetmech1990 screwed with this post 05-08-2010 at 11:36 PM
Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
key words...flow bench, dry, dakar...as you can see by my user name....I work in a industry where you can't pull over to the side of the road...so MY and OTHERS lifes depends on it.
You also work in an industry that has nothing to do with AIR FILTERS, go ahead tell me all about it, I know a few things about jets myself.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,976
K&N will let dirt in. I won't use this crap on my FJ40 ever again. Paper filter and foam. And I'm not the only off roader to figure this out.
However, K&N is ok if you stay on the street.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
bluechip0309
Old and In the Way

Oddometer: 194
Where's trusty Jim V on this topic?

u dare, JVB?
96 K1100LT gone
83 R100RS gone
bluechip0309 is offline   Reply With Quote