User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Sidi canyon gore tex boot

Impressions? Anyone own these? I think they fit the bill for two women who ride on and off roads who want more protection but not a MX boot. Lot's of sizing options too which helps....input appreciated.

soph9 screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 10:06 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Alphamale11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I bought a pair about 2 years ago. They're top notch. I wore them to the track once though and wore down the sole so they'll need to be re-done. But otherwise, well worth the money.
Alphamale11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

I think these will do it for us....we have TCX air boots for real hot days but for touring and we can only take one boot I hope this will be good for protection, waterproofing and can handle going off road. Our size is out of stock so we will have to wait to see if they come in before July
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I use these boats and have for several years. They are waterproof and I have taken them through some real storms. Easy in and out. Just got back from 3 days of dualsport with them. OK protection wise, however not anywhere close to MX boots for protection. You may want to consider Sidi adventure boat, which a friend had on the trip that he was wearing. They are very light and a lot more protection. All said, I will continue using these for most of my riding.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We are mainly commuting to work and when we travel we do a lot of tar and forestry roads and some more technical stuff but not really MX worthy. Want a boot versatile and have more protection than our REvit H20 and TCX airs.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
grantsdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Sidi Canyon

I like my Canyons. Most buckle systems are either too lose or too tight for me to be truly comfortable. The Canyons have a fine range of adjustment with the ratcheting buckle. They're not as durable as an MX-style boot but for my purposes they work well. Very comfortable, I wear them in a casual office environment; they look good under jeans or dockers. I get many compliments. I suppose what they lack in protection, is made up in style. I would say they run 1/4 to 1/2 size large. I normally wear US12D but my EU47 Canyons require I where a fairly thick sock.
grantsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

they do have protection of some sort don't they? Some ankle and shin? More than a regular touring boot? I see this boot as a ADV boot...am I wrong?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
they do have protection of some sort don't they? Some ankle and shin? More than a regular touring boot? I see this boot as a ADV boot...am I wrong?
The Canyons ARE a touring boot.

They have a heel cup, toe cup, and ankle cups and a shin plate just like all the other touring boots out there. They won't have any ankle protection from twisting/bending other than the stiffness of the leather. This goes for the TCX Infinity's/BMW Santiago, Sidi OnRoad, Aerostich CBT's, and Sidi Discovery's, and similar boots.

That's not to say those aren't great boots, because they are. But I wouldn't kid myself into believing they have more protection than most touring boots. Sure you could take those boots off-road, and I'm sure plenty of people here have. Back in the day, Hi Points were considered an "MX" boot, and those have even less protection than touring boots today.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

are these boots you would want to take to Alaska, Yukon and the NWT? With the roads up there I want better protection for us than our TCX Air summer boots or our Revit H20 boots
Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 689
All day comfort

I have a pair of Canyon's and used to take a pair of street shoes when I rode to work. No more, just wear the Sidi's all day instead.

I wore these boots on last years Alcan5000. When other were complaining of cold feet, mine were warm and always dry.

Highly recommended.

My 2
ironmtnracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
I also have the SIDI Canyon boots, which I bought to replace a pair of worn-our SIDI Discovery boots. The Canyons are slightly comfier, have a much more subtle look, and have (for me) been completely waterproof, which the Discos never managed. I don't think the Canyons are as protective as the SIDI Discoveries -- they have no shin protection worth mentioning -- and I wouldn't wear them for any regular off road riding. Other than the price and the look, I don't think the Canyons have any advantage over the SIDI Adventure Gore Tex boots, and for me their only advantage over the Discos is that they have been more waterproof.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
I went to buy a pair of these a while back. They are very very nice boots but for me they are very road oriented and lack the protection I wanted for a light Dual sport boot. I have MX boots for rough days but I wanted something a little lighter for forest road days on the Vstrom, and light dual sport use. After trying on Gaerne's balanced oiled, the canyons and a bunch of others I ended up with the Alpinestar Scouts. All leather, waterproof, more protection than the canyons, but not as bulky as an MX boot. I believe the Astars are offered in a lot of smaller sizes as well.

They broke in quickly and are very comfy. I applied plenty of Nik wax just to be on the safe side and so far they have kept my feet warm & dry.

YMMV
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

we need some protection for off roading but I do not want a MX boot...I guess I should keep looking eh?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
I went to buy a pair of these a while back. They are very very nice boots but for me they are very road oriented and lack the protection I wanted for a light Dual sport boot. I have MX boots for rough days but I wanted something a little lighter for forest road days on the Vstrom, and light dual sport use. After trying on Gaerne's balanced oiled, the canyons and a bunch of others I ended up with the Alpinestar Scouts. All leather, waterproof, more protection than the canyons, but not as bulky as an MX boot. I believe the Astars are offered in a lot of smaller sizes as well.

They broke in quickly and are very comfy. I applied plenty of Nik wax just to be on the safe side and so far they have kept my feet warm & dry.

YMMV
yep those are the boots everyone keeps pointing me too...the Scouts....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
yep those are the boots everyone keeps pointing me too...the Scouts....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
find a shop and try some on, they might suprise you, they certainly suprised me. The lack of gore tex worries me, I will keep my fingers crossed, but so far so good. They are reasonably priced as well. Astar also has the Durban's with gortex but they are little out of my budget and no one had them to try on.

My Klim Dakars fit over them easily so the Traverse pants should fit them fine as well. I also like the low profile toe box, they fit under the shifter perfectly. Again I am used to MX boots so the Scouts feel slim and light to me.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote