Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
just about ordered them today from Revzilla...gonna wait and yes try to see if I can find them to try on...we have had Alpinstars Ridge boots and our size was a 7 in that style...will have to see if the Scouts run the same way in sizing...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Just ordered my Alpinestars Scout

Just ordered my Alpinestars Scout (size 13). Another well-written thread on AdvRider convinced me that I wouldn't overheat in the boots.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

thanks been through that thread too...just thought I'd get impressions of the Canyon which is a great boot but perhaps not for what we need. I think the Scout it will be when we are ready to pull the trigger...we always need 2 of everything! $$$
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

what about the SIDI Discovery Rain boot?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
I have both the Scouts and the Discos and like them both. I did have a pair of the Adventure Rains but they pinched my feet something terrible - could barely walk in them. Short of that, they were good with lots of good protection, particularly at the ankle.

I actually picked up the Scouts because Revzilla didn't have the Discos in my size at the store (I was in Philly on business and swung by the store/warehouse on the way to the airport).

The Scouts are very, very comfortable, like all-day, n/off the bike comfortable. They do get a bit warm, so I like them in the fall/winter especially. Protection-wise, not a lot going on for the ankle area. The shin plastic is a little weak, and the heel cup isn't the most substantial either. That said, I think they offer more protection than the Canyons, but having never tried on a pair, I'm just going off the description and pictures.

Now, the Discos. Also very comfortable and break in very well. I like the Sidi camlock system a bit better than the AStars buckles, but both certainly do the job. I like the way the Discos feel a bit more - seems to fit my foot better; maybe its because you can really dial-in the fit with the camlocks, I don't know. They also seem to me to be a bit more substanstial in the protection department, although they too don't have much (actually, nothing) in terms of ankle protection. The shin and heel protection seems to be a bit beefier than the Scouts. Also, they don't seem to be as hot as the Scouts, so I'll be using the Discos during the warmer months. They're by no means cold though, so they work fine for the winter (just had a ride today in 31 degree temps and my feet were toasty).

Both seem to be as good as each other in terms of keeping water out. Neither are Gore-Tex, so they aren't guaranteed against leaking. The Scouts actually say "waterproof" on them, but that's no guarantee. I can say that both keep out road water and moisture without any trouble. I've not been in a big storm in the Discos (yet), but have ridden through some torrential mid-western thunderstorms in the Scouts and my feet and socks stayed very dry. It appears the Discos employ the same type of gaiter to keep moisture out, so I'm assuming/hoping they'll be as successful as the Scouts are in that area - we'll see.

If I had to choose, and the extra money for the Discos wasn't an issue, I think I'd go with the Sidis. Not to say the Scouts aren't great boots, but I think the Discos offer a bit more and I like the overall fit/finish of the Sidis better. Of course, that could all change if I get stuck in a storm with the Discos and they leak like a sieve!

How's that for not being helpful at all!

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #21
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

rain is an issue where we live...being H20 proof is a must. We had Alpinestars Ridge and they were indeed H20 proof even though they are not Gore. The Sidi Disco have been known to leak from what I have read on this forum and we need H20 proofing as much as some protection. Oh the choices...thanks for the input...everything helps.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #22
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,433
I've had them (Sidi Canyon) for two seasons (16,000 miles).

They are totally comfortable, so much so that I occasionally wear them from sun-up to sundown when touring, but I suppose that individual fit is a big component there.

There are still totally waterprooof, and in my opinion look better with age as does most riding gear. I have worn them in torrential downpours, both on and off the bike (camping). The lug soles are holding up very well too. The ratcheting buckle is holding up too, but the velcro flap at the shin area is losing just a little grip now.

I would recommend them.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

I would receommend thses boots for touring for sure...but for DS riding I think they lack the support we are searching for....so far even Revzilla who sort of know our riding recommend the Alpinestars Scouts....the more I look at those boots the more I believe they will suit our riding habits...glad you like these boots though.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
satchmo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I've had the Sidi Canyon's for about 2 yrs now. Two cross country trips, a baja trip, a BC trip and lots of commuting. Roughly 70% on road, 30% off.
These boots have been great, comfortable and always dry. Feet stayed cool in high temps and warm to freezing temps. Only downside was after I broke a buckle it took like 3 months to get a replacement. Overall a great boot and I would purchase again.
satchmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #25
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I have a question about the width of the Canyons (or the Scouts for that matter), does anyone with a EEE or 4E wide foot wear these boots? I have a very hard time buying shoes or boots (thankfully Nike makes 4E sneakers) and need to buy boots mostly for street but some light DS'ing on the Wee. Any suggestions would help.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #26
klebs01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by massrider View Post
I have a question about the width of the Canyons (or the Scouts for that matter), does anyone with a EEE or 4E wide foot wear these boots? I have a very hard time buying shoes or boots (thankfully Nike makes 4E sneakers) and need to buy boots mostly for street but some light DS'ing on the Wee. Any suggestions would help.
Look for the Sidi MEGA whatever boots. The mega version is the wide version. I think its EEE, but I'm not positive.
klebs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Thumb Another helpful thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
Just ordered my Alpinestars Scout (size 13). Another well-written thread on AdvRider convinced me that I wouldn't overheat in the boots.
Another helpful thread.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

ordered 2 pairs of the Scouts....we shall see how they do all seasons.....fingers crossed! Thanks for the Canyon advise and Scouts too!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #29
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
ordered 2 pairs of the Scouts....we shall see how they do all seasons.....fingers crossed! Thanks for the Canyon advise and Scouts too!
Found this too late soph9. I will be buying my lady a pair of boots for the coming season and like you I want total waterproofness. The Scouts were one of the boots I was looking at. Unfortunately the Sidi Adventure Gore doesn't go small enough for her but the Alpinstars Durban is available in Womens sizing. The primary difference (that I can see) is Gore Tex on the Durbans

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #30
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

we wanted to keep the cost down a bit so the Durban's were sort off the list. We have had the Ridge boot by Alpine and they were really waterproof and comfy. What I was looking for in a boot this time was that the boot needed to be multifaceted. Good for commutes on the right daysm but more importantly better shin and foot protection for our trips. Better meaning more than our RevIt Apache H20 or TCX Air.

As usual trial and error as wel all at times need to find out for ourselves if the boot is good for us. I hope so or I am a dead woman for being like our 5th pair of boots.