Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #1
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
Cure for foggy glasses?

Probably been asked many times before.

I have several helmets including three with Pinlocks, but my glasses fog to the point I can't see a thing. Can't get rid of the glasses.

Is there a wipe-on for glasses that works?

Are the Wiley-type glasses with the foam edges good? Or great?

Something better I don't know about?
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #2
Kiwi Mo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
If you crack the visor open a little and get some breeze going it helps.
There is a Rain-X anti fog product available here which I have not used.
I do use the standard Rain-X and it seems to be a polish that the water beads off and it a great product.
Kiwi Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 13,106
get to a ski shop . . . .they'll have a variety of products to help with this . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #4
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 943
Been riding with glasses for many years and have tried MANY, but found NO product that works very well to keep them from fogging. The Pinlock (and other similar systems) works ok to keep it from getting too bad on the shield. I almost always ride with the shield open at least a small bit, as that seems to keep my glasses clear.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #5
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,752
Contacts. Or laser surgery.

Sadly, as a fellow four-eyes who likes to ride in all weather, there's not really anything out there that works satisfactorily. The best I've tried is a ski product called "Cat Crap," but it only delays the time til fogging.

If you can crack the visor, that is almost always enough to keep the fog away, but if it's raining hard (or really cold) that's not much of a solution, as I'm sure you know.

I haven't had much luck with the "breath boxes" you can get for some helmets, either. For me, they either do nothing or make the fogging worse!
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #6
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The problem with the Shoei GT-Air is that the visor cannot be cracked "just a little". It can only be cracked about an inch. Worthless in the rain. Not Shoei's fault. Breath-guard that came with it doesn't help at all. Others before me have noticed that the Seattle area is rainy. Non-starter on rainy mornings.

Had laser surgery already. I wear progressive bi-focals. need to read the dash.

I'm aware that there are a lot of products that purport to work. Just wondered if anybody found one that does!

OlyRider screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:57 AM
OlyRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #7
HowHH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Yeah, same problem here. I wish I could still wear contacts.

Best stuff I've found is Clarity Defogit-It. Way too much money for a tiny little bottle, but what can you do? I do find I need to open the visor on my helmet if I'm stuck sitting at a stop light, but generally ok once I get going.

There are permanent anti-fog coatings for glasses but until recently I though the were incompatible with anti-reflective coatings. However, I recently read about Essilor's Optifog coating. It supposedly can be used with their Crizal anti-reflective coating. I'll have to ask my optometrist about it for my next pair of glasses. I have no idea how much $$ it would add to my already expensive enough glasses.
HowHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #8
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 500
I switched to another helmet and it went away. Wearing the Icon Variant now and I don't have to raise the shield. My old helmet was terrible, had to always have the shield raised a little.
Woodenveins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #9
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
There are permanent anti-fog coatings for glasses but until recently I though the were incompatible with anti-reflective coatings. However, I recently read about Essilor's Optifog coating. It supposedly can be used with their Crizal anti-reflective coating. I'll have to ask my optometrist about it for my next pair of glasses. I have no idea how much $$ it would add to my already expensive enough glasses.

Called a popular optician here in town.

Opti-fog progressive lenses would only cost $480 (plus $45 tax) No frames...just the lenses. There is a good chance I'll go another direction!
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #10
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
The problem with the Shoei GT-Air is that the visor cannot be cracked "just a little". It can only be cracked about an inch. Worthless in the rain. Not Shoei's fault. Breath-guard that came with it doesn't help at all.
This is really my ONLY issue with my GT-Air. My prior Shoei X11 had a lever on the side of the visor which allowed me to crack the visor *just* enough to get a little air and prevent fogging. I used this setting 99% of the time I was riding. The GT-Air doesn't have this little lever and the first detente is far more open than the X11's was. This is OK for me most of the time, but when it's raining it's a large enough gap that I get rain droplets on the inside of the visor (though it still does prevent fogging). Interestingly, the internal drop-down sunshade still fogs, which is annoying on those rainy but bright days.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #11
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,887
Spit? Used to work with dive masks.

We used to use an anti-fog treatment for visors when my Dad and I were racing cars. I recall it worked well. Don't recall what we used (old & feeble now). Gotta think they still make that stuff.

Perhaps this stuff @ Wal-Mart? LINK

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #12
Zim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Same situation. Ended the 2014 riding season riding in near-freezing fog. I couldn't win... either crack open the shield for ventilation, letting fog droplets accumulate on my glasses, or keep the shield closed and let my breath fog them up. Awful.

I've got All-Kleer in my Amazon wish list to try. Not sure if they'll work on or wreck my Crizal lenses. I've tried Cat Crap and some Walmart stuff, but haven't had much luck with them. Never have found a good solution.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #13
johnwoodsrides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
The problem with the Shoei GT-Air is that the visor cannot be cracked "just a little". It can only be cracked about an inch. Worthless in the rain.
Wedge a soft ear plug in the shield to keep it open just a slit. Cheap and wont damage the shield or helmet.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #14
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,188
I've got two set of riding glasses. One is plastic lenses and one is polycarbonate lenses. The polycarbonate fog over much easier
than the plastic lenses do.

Can't say why but for me that's the case.

YMMV
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #15
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,474
When I wore glasses while riding, commuting year-round in all weather, I never had fogging issues so long as I had a Respro Foggy fitted in the helmet.

I had cataract surgery and have never worn glasses under the helmet since (mine are progressives for near vision, too). However, if you need them to read the speedo, it might be less work to fit a plastic magnifier lens over the guage, such as the kind that fits inside welding helmets.