Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #1
El Dudeness OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Question Dry Spec dry bags compatibility + pros 'n cons - KTM 1190 Adventure

Hey peeps!

I'm in line to receive the new KTM 1190 Adventure R this fall /winter and am looking on a different luggage setup this time around than what I've previously been using.

Before I used to mount everything I possibly could on the ol' mule. Top box, huge side panniers, duffel bag....you name it.

The recent years I've lost the panniers and stuck to the top box and duffel bag so I don't get caught in the queues on the roads and in cities. The weight distribution isn't as good this way but I don't mind sacrificing it to wiggle up between the parked or slow driving cars.

BUT...I feel I'm lacking a bit of space as I do like to pack to be totally self reliant for up to 2 weeks.

I've fallen in love with Dry Spec's line of dry bags and am thinking of whacking the whole shebang on there - the D20 saddlebags, the 38 in the middle and the 28 on top.

I like the way they all sit and stack together. I like the weight distribution and I love the fact to have a spacious pillion bag when I do my road book rallies. This all is in favor of the Dry Spec setup vs. the ol' top box. (Besides....you can get 'em in orange which wouldn't look too shabby on the KTM) Plus the cost is a lot (A LOT) lower than going out and getting a new hard case top box and throw overs.

My question to you guys would be how the saddlebags sit on the KTM 1190? Any experience on this matter?
They look pretty slim which is perfect because I do not want them to exceed the width of the handle bars - this is crucial

The other matter I'm concerned about is the fact that you don't have the ability to lock anything. I'm used to having a top box mounted 90% of the time to chuck all kinds of stuff in when I'm commuting, shopping and what not. I don't know if this will bother me when I'm out and about. Normally I don't do any sight seeing - I like to ride, loooong days. But it would be nice to have the opportunity to leave the stuff and not worry about if it's there or not when you get back.

Pros 'n cons??

Thanks in advance!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/drysp...d-orange-13805
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #2
ZeZeZoom
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The predominant use I make of my bike seems to be opposed to yours as I mostly commute. Thus, I do need a top case to keep stuff inside and away from greedy eyes. I have a Givi Trekker 52 attached to my bike's rack almost always. Downside of using the top case in the 1190 Adventure (without pillion and without side cases): the bike weaves noticeably at speeds over 170 kms/h. Then, of course, I am no longer commuting...
Using the top case with pillion avoids weaving; I reached 220 kms/h (speedo, not GPS measured) with pillion and top case without any weaving whatsoever.
I have the KTM side cases, too, which I only use for the longer trips. KTM says one should not exceed 140 kms/h when using the panniers. Apart from an increasing in fuel consumption (maybe 0,7 liters every 100 kms), the sole downside of using panniers - for me at least - is that the bike gets much fatter and one can no longer split the traffic lanes in town. I have reached 200 kms/h with the KTM panniers on (and pillion) and noticed no issue. Of course, I take it it is not recommendable to ride hundreds of kms at such high speeds with panniers on but, based on my own experience, I trust one can ride with them for long stints at speeds around 150-160 kms/h without much of a hassle (hopefully, without any police around, too).
Btw, the Dry Spec bags are awesome! They are not locked, though, and can be stollen (and the items inside, of course) if you leave your bike out of sight for more than a few seconds, as you wrote.
Tough choice, then. Why not the dry bags for your touring trips and a good top case for your occasional urban needs?
ZeZeZoom is online now   Reply With Quote