Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
2Stamp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Leatt 5.5 Pro HD

Leatt 5.5 Pro HD

So, after riding with a pressure suit for the last couple years, and not liking the coverage of the traditional roost protector, I was looking for options. Donít get me wrong, I really like my Juggernaut. But it can be pretty warm at times, and options are always good.

The thread "Armor- What I learned after the crash" http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703845 got me thinking, as Iíve come off a couple times and landed on my elbow-ribs pretty good. They've broken (knock on wood), but it got my attention. There havenít been any reviews on the 5.5 Pro HD so far, since this protector is so new. Mine just came in today.

My first impressions are similar to OKDQ, you can see his mini-review here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=77 It comes in Black and White.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm probably about as small as this thing will fit with the adjustments. I'm 5'8", 155, and wear a Medium in most motorcycle equipment.

The shoulder and side adjustments are maxed in (as opposed to maxed out) and this puts it snug across the rib cage (i.e. when I breath the side strap, which is elastic, stretches with my breaths, if that makes sense). After years of wearing body armor (the real world kind, not motorcycle kind) this fit feels right to me. I don't find the side/rib protection in the way at all. But again, I'm used to having side protection there. The shoulder straps are adjustable, as is the shoulder protection (cup). There are adjustable Velcro straps that go over the shoulder area connecting the front and back together for the adjustment. The directions are the same as body armor in that the front and back plates (protection) should be in a certain spot in relation to sternum and top of spin. So my simple mind understood them. The shoulder adjustment allows you to do this.

I'm going to quote OKDQ here, "The foam under the chest and back hard shell is made from two separate layers, seems like inner layer may be denser than the outer layer...not sure. Both layers are very dense foam, which I see as a good thing protection wise.

Per Leatt's literature the chest and back are tested to meet CE level 2 (highest rating) and the shoulder protection is rated at CE 1.

Notes from the instruction booklet:

- 3DF Airfit foam at front and back (Perforated for air flow)
- 47 Air slots for ventilation"

Because itís a Leatt, it can be worn with a neck brace. The brace can be worn over the top or underneath the armor. I donít have one (yet) but it looks pretty straight forward.

I put my Ogio flight vest over and so far like the fit. Only a ride will tell if that combo will work, but so far I think it will. I'm not sure I will keep the arm (bicep) protectors on. The shoulder yes, but not the bicep. They seem a little gimmicky (but they may keep the shoulder cups down also).

One or two other ADVrís have picked them up but it seems most of us are living in snowier climates, so there havenít been much riding reports. Time will tell in the spring.

Front:

Side:

Back:

Anyway, hope this answers some question you may have on this new protector. I'll post more thoughts when I can get out riding.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,275
Pretty sure I'll be buying one of these..
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
motoinmoab
Questioning Reality

Oddometer: 97
WOW! Somebody has finally thought about ribs as possibly being an important body part? You'd think ribs were super unbreakable by the way everybody else ignores them with their armor designs. 4 decades ago all we had was a Bates leather jacket, then came a big evolutionary step to the modern roost guards, which are basically bent cafeteria trays with some vent holes. This Leatt is finally taking us into RoboCop or Imperial Storm Trouper protection.

Thanks for posting the great pics. You described the padding for front and back, what's the padding for the ribs like? What have you got under those side wings and do they feel restrictive when bending and twisting? I know you haven't been able to ride yet but how about doing yoga in it, because a downward facing dog is pretty close to what I did when I broke ribs.

I still haven't seen good pics like yours for the Alpinestars A-8 vest. It's supposed to have rib armor also.

Because happens.

motoinmoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoinmoab View Post
WOW! Somebody has finally thought about ribs as possibly being an important body part? You'd think ribs were super unbreakable by the way everybody else ignores them with their armor designs. 4 decades ago all we had was a Bates leather jacket, then came a big evolutionary step to the modern roost guards, which are basically bent cafeteria trays with some vent holes. This Leatt is finally taking us into RoboCop or Imperial Storm Trouper protection.

Thanks for posting the great pics. You described the padding for front and back, what's the padding for the ribs like? What have you got under those side wings and do they feel restrictive when bending and twisting? I know you haven't been able to ride yet but how about doing yoga in it, because a downward facing dog is pretty close to what I did when I broke ribs.

I still haven't seen good pics like yours for the Alpinestars A-8 vest. It's supposed to have rib armor also.

Because happens.
I had one for a few days, it has rib protection. Maybe not quite the coverage of this leatt but decent coverage. Was not comfortable on my frame so I went with a bionic 2, but i am seriously thinking of changing to this.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
motoinmoab
Questioning Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
I had one for a few days, it has rib protection. Maybe not quite the coverage of this leatt but decent coverage. Was not comfortable on my frame so I went with a bionic 2, but i am seriously thinking of changing to this.
Are you referring to the A*8 vest? Can you tell us what you didn't like about it? The A* Bionic 2 is a good looking Pressure Suit but has nothing for the sides of your ribs and the split chest plate won't protect your sternum, which is a ribs issue again. A zipper has no structural integrity.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoinmoab View Post
Are you referring to the A*8 vest? Can you tell us what you didn't like about it? The A* Bionic 2 is a good looking Pressure Suit but has nothing for the sides of your ribs and the split chest plate won't protect your sternum, which is a ribs issue again. A zipper has no structural integrity.
The things you stated about the bionic 2 are why i am looking at the pro hd, although the suit is very protective and the armor very good. The A8's molded chest plate rubbed the edges of my pecs raw just wearing around the house while the center of the chest plate was about an inch off of my chest. The shoulder pads were pretty uncomfortable as well. Hopefully the leatt will adjust to my frame.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
2Stamp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The sides have the Leatt 3DF padding under the hard outside, just not as thick. The front and back of the side pieces are supported on the front and back on the protector. There is some pretty good over lap, atleast on mine. The side pieces don't feel restrictive to me while twisting and suck.

From reading and talking to friends, the rib damage usually comes from landing on your arm (and the hard armor that is likely on your arm, but not always). But this is purely speculation on my part.

I've had good luck so far with Leatt soft knee pads (also 3DF) so I'm likely going with the soft elbow pads also. I imagine the side protection along with a softer elbow armor, could go a long way to alleviating busted ribs. Now, falling on a rock, who knows...
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
motoinmoab
Questioning Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
The sides have the Leatt 3DF padding under the hard outside, just not as thick. The front and back of the side pieces are supported on the front and back on the protector. There is some pretty good over lap, atleast on mine. The side pieces don't feel restrictive to me while twisting and suck.

From reading and talking to friends, the rib damage usually comes from landing on your arm (and the hard armor that is likely on your arm, but not always). But this is purely speculation on my part.

I've had good luck so far with Leatt soft knee pads (also 3DF) so I'm likely going with the soft elbow pads also. I imagine the side protection along with a softer elbow armor, could go a long way to alleviating busted ribs. Now, falling on a rock, who knows...
I broke my ribs with my own elbow armor, my pressure suit had no padding on the sides at all. Other guys have posted the same thing. I really like the looks and coverage of your 5.5 Pro HD; we finally have moto armor that offers as much protection as the rodeo and snowmobiler's vests.

I had a '99 BMW 650GS, that was a nice adventure bike. My brother has an F800GS, I think the same year as yours now.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,663
Is this setup available with elbow padding-or is this an alacarte-type affair?

I really like the look of this rig.

Dirty
Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
2Stamp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No elbow but what you provide.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Is this setup available with elbow padding-or is this an alacarte-type affair?

I really like the look of this rig.

Dirty
I bought the Leatt 3DF Elbow protector to go with my 5.5 HD Pro. I have not had a chance to ride with either one yet (maybe this weekend) but based on a dry fit inside the house I think this will be a good combination for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
2Stamp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
I bought the Leatt 3DF Elbow protector to go with my 5.5 HD Pro. I have not had a chance to ride with either one yet (maybe this weekend) but based on a dry fit inside the house I think this will be a good combination for me.
Those are the ones I'm looking at. I have the knee protectors already. They are pretty comfortable.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #13
dazler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
any updates on hot days? I know with the Ice storm on some States might not be easy to test the air flow on hot days.

how are the closures holding up I saw that the Alpinestars A8 break quite easy is this one beefier?
dazler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
What is the weight? Is the pad CE Level 1 or 2 rated?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #15
nessy310
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Anyone know if the XXL actually fits bigger guys? I am about 6' and 250 lbs with a big build. I am always weary of gear sizes running too small and none of the local shops carry this protector.

Thanks!

Ness
nessy310 is offline   Reply With Quote