User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Pretty slick camping stove

I stumbled upon this. Any of you FF's have one or seen one? Looks pretty nifty.

No affiliation, etc. Just thinking of picking one up.
http://www.fireboxstove.com/index.php?route=common/home
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
mhm2a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Emberlit

Check out the emberlit stove. Very similar design that is effective, packs small, and uses readily available fuel. Either stove looks nice to me and I enjoy mine for the reasons above.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
DWK2
Other Bike's A Rokon

Oddometer: 88
I must be getting old because the fireboxes seem a bit pricey for something made of simple stainless steel. Cool design, however. If they were made of titanium, the gadget value would be really high.

Thanks for posting the link!

Dave
DWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,806
just scored a Kelly Kettle and have only used it one time .. so jury is still out
got the stainless steel medium size one which is pretty bulky
they get rave reviews from backpackers and survival folks

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Another vote for Emberlit stoves from me! I have the original stainless steel model and recently got a FireAnt via Kickstarter. I've used a #10 cast iron frying pan to cook a lb of bacon on the original model. These aren't some wimpy little fire boxes, unlike many of their competitors. They are strong, light weight, compact, and burn clean.

Mikhail (the designer/small business owner) spends a lot of time developing his stoves. The FireAnt was in development for about 2 years. I know, because I proposed the basic dimensions to Mikhail shortly after buying his first production stove. It took many revisions and prototypes before he was satisfied with the FireAnt's performance. He was still making minor changes to the design during the kickstarter campaign!

And if one is concerned, they are made in the USA from locally sourced materials.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:58 AM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

I want one of these ... Ti

-------------
EmberLit-UL (Titanium) w/ Cross Bars
The best camping stove just got better. Proudly made in the USA.
$84.99
http://www.emberlit.com/en/emberlit-ul-titanium

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-18-2014 at 03:27 AM
Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,827
I've got a Vargo hexagon stove, http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon...l#.VEJxeRaGfZg ,
and the little alcohol stove too. Total package is 5.1 ounces.
The alcohol stove is for the 'no fires' areas, though I don't think the stove is much of a concern. You can run it as hot as you like, or get it going and let it die down to a nice simmering fire. Handy.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
I know not a wood stove. But I just got a pathfinder alcohol stove, and that with a 750ml titanium cup is just about the perfect thing for hot drinks and cooking simple things like porridge on the go. I use duossal trangia stoves for proper camping.
But that FireAnt does look cool. But I can't see where you actually buy them now the kickstarter is done.
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I've got a Vargo hexagon stove, http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon...l#.VEJxeRaGfZg ,
and the little alcohol stove too. Total package is 5.1 ounces.
The alcohol stove is for the 'no fires' areas, though I don't think the stove is much of a concern. You can run it as hot as you like, or get it going and let it die down to a nice simmering fire. Handy.1911fan
looks very similar to Emberlit design .. does the Vargo also work like a rocket stove?

Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
looks very similar to Emberlit design .. does the Vargo also work like a rocket stove?

they sell the vargo ones at mec and i wasn't that impressed. felt very flimsy and didn't lock together convincingly like the ember lit ones do.

the fire ant looks a much better design.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
tiger seven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121

I took a Firebox to Wyoming last year for three weeks of camping. Worked great and I have no complaints. Stoves like this will (obviously) burn just about anything for fuel, but if you can find slower-burning hardwoods they will burn down to charcoal and stay hot for a long time. If you're using softwoods or twigs have a supply of fuel handy to keep feeding the fire, as these will burn up pretty quickly. Since I was solo camping, it was a more efficient use of available wood for me than building a campfire. I could cook with it, and then - on cold nights or mornings - I could stuff it with wood and turn it into a small one-man campfire I could sit by.

To me, the only real downside to using a wood-burning stove is that you can't have a fire hot and ready to cook instantaneously, like you can with a gas stove. Also, some woods will leave a lot of sooty residue on your cookware - if that bothers you.

Derek
Old 10-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
To me, the only real downside to using a wood-burning stove is that you can't have a fire hot and ready to cook instantaneously, like you can with a gas stove. Also, some woods will leave a lot of sooty residue on your cookware - if that bothers you. Derek
that's why I'm so interested in the Emberlit stove acting like a rocket stove. which should burn really hot quick with less smoke

this guy is cooking with a full size cast iron frying pan on a Eberlit stove

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-19-2014 at 12:27 PM
Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Cast iron doesn't actually require major heat. It's an excellent conductor of heat so even a small amount of heat in the centre of the pan will spread all over the pan.
Big stainless steel or similar pans need a lot of heat.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

you are right of course .. was impressed with how emberlit stoves handled a full size cast iron skillet with ease. have done many a cookout for a troop of hungry boy scouts that required cooking with full size pots/pans.

for overnight backpacking trips this type Coleman white gas stove was the only one that put out enough heat for large pots.
my MSR stove did a poor job putting out enough heat for larger pots, but did great for smaller ones.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-18-2014 at 09:56 AM
Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,936
none of the woodstoves i've seen so far work as well as a true rocket design, its hard to do because of double walls and insulation againt the fire chamber ect ect. the emberlit and others like it that draw from the bottom will do a better job than designs with venting all over the stove. but a rocket it is not.

i have worked on trying to make a small folding rocket stove, but its a challenge. i did make a pretty good small light nesting soup can rocket stove using perlite as the insulator, but still needs improvement.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote