User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Mounting a motorcycle on a travel trailer

I'm looking to mount a 500lb motorcycle to the back of a travel trailer. What is available out there?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Concow Mower
Wild Doggie

Oddometer: 149
Mounting a motorcycle on the back of a tow behind trailer

Yo Survivalist, the most important thing you want to remember is that when it's all packed up and ready to roll, your "tow behind" trailer rig (no matter what configuration) better have ~ =>10% tounge weight or you could be in very deep weeds. I think in Europe they go as little as 8% but here in the USA most info sites will tell you to have 10% - 15% tounge weight. etrailer.com is a pretty good site for info on all types of trailer towing, etc. Good luck.
Cheers
Dave
Our current rig
Concow Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,802
Travel trailers range from 12 foot pop ups to 32 foot, four axle, 5th wheel, monsters.

What do you have?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
I'm looking at a 32ft travel trailer.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,755
Dont think a "regular" travel trailer will have the chassis to support. Likely have to weld 2 receivers and mount a carrier that houses big tourers on the back of motorhomes.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 676
I bolted and welded a couple 2" receiver tubes to the frame of my Montana 5th wheel. Welded the underside in the middle of the I beam underneath.
Then a local had a used aluminum gizmo with a rail that he custom made to fit a bike on the back of a motor home with receivers welded to the frame. Slips right in the receiver tubes. I hauled a DR650 350 lbs and a 300 lb KLX250S probably 11,000 miles in different trips without a problem. I may haul a KTM 640 Adv sometime but will drain the gas first to lose weight.

As Concour Mower stated it will have some effect on the tongue weight but was a non issue for me. I could feel it was there.......... '06 Chev 2500 HD shortbed 4X4 crew cab and a 12,000 lb trailer.
As Maggot12 stated a bumper pull travel trailer get some or a lot of their strength in the box of the camper and may have a lighter frame. A mobile home has a very weak frame as they use the box for strength, like cargo trailers also. Look at the frame of a semi flatbed trailer vs a box trailer. I was able to tour the Keystone Montana factory and saw the frame of a fifth wheel, much heavier. BTW, if you ever get a chance to tour an RV factory, do it!!

It all was a pain in the arse to get set up and a constant item to think about going down the road if something breaks or a strap let's go or then .

Gillus screwed with this post 07-01-2014 at 08:17 AM
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
N800PB
N800PB

Oddometer: 3
I have friend locally that carries a Husky DS bike and a generator on the rear of his travel trailer. He worked with a welder and they basically extended the main frame rails back to build the rack and bile rail on. He did find that after 5 to 10 K miles that his frame around the leaf spring mounts was starting to crack. They welded on plates to both sides of the frame along about 3/4 of the length.

This is on about a 28ft trailer. And he has been careful to maintain a 10%+ tongue weight and it has worked out well but to make the frame strong enough it was a lot of work. It can be done but it's not a simple as just bolting on a carrier.

Good luck.
N800PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
Sky2adam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
On a travel trailer you might be better off figuring a way to weld a mount on the tongue than off the back. Relocating the battery is probably better than trying to reengineer the frame.
Sky2adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,965
Ha! I did that on an 18 foot single axle TT and the result was... exciting to say the least. It threw the balance WAY off. But on a 32 foot unit might not be so bad.

I got some channel iron to extend the frame, and made some 2-hole flanges to bolt things up. So I could bolt the bumper directly to the trailer frame, or bolt the extensions to the frame and the bumper to the extensions. Didn't use it enough to break the frame. The bumper itself was too light to use for anything.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
What's your comfor level with towing double?
Adding a small, dedicated motorcycle trailer might be the best solution.

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php

Another thought. What is your tow vehicle? A neighbor used to haul both of his dirtbikes on a rack attached to the front of his 3/4 ton when he needed to tow a travel trailer.