Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #136
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 299
I kind of like the extra size and I did go one size larger. I like the longer sleeves as they are designed curved, and reaching for the bars seem perfect. I have room for an electric jacket (w&s) and a midlayer over that(I live in cold country) all fits well, Yet without all that, the jacket feels comfortable a little large. I must have small upper arms as I have not experienced the tightness a few others have. I am 6' 3-4" and at 250 wear 2xl talls. My Badlands is XXXL. I wasn't sure I'd like the skiers thumb cuff, but find it helpfull in cold weather. Not sure what I'll do with it in the summer!
The Pro Gore seems to let a lot of air flow through it, and I suspect it will in the summer too. Hope so. In 40F I feel the cold air flowing through, but have yet to wear electrics. Got Klim's Inversion Jacket liner and it is great. My favorite part is the zip off sleeve to make it a vest. the Inversion is bulky and takes up more storeage space when off then my stuffable down.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #137
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
We appreciate outstanding customer service like yours. I've shopped at solomotoparts.com and was impressed, but we ask vendors to use the Vendors forum to offer their services and reply to inmate questions.
Got it.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #138
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
So where is the secret pocket?

Integrated jacket-stabilizing, removable and adjustable kidney belt support system
7 external pockets [5 cargo front, 1 large back, 1 sleeve i.d.}
4 internal pockets [2 zippered, 2 mesh stash}
1 secret internal pocket
Bottom hem adjustment
Jacket-to-pant zipper integration system
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #139
BBRadar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I found a pocket today which I guess you could class as secret (well not anymore since I'm telling everyone ).
It's on the inside down near the kidney belt on the left side at the front (a little zip). It's not very obvious compared to all other pockets.
BBRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #140
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Integrated jacket-stabilizing, removable and adjustable kidney belt support system
7 external pockets [5 cargo front, 1 large back, 1 sleeve i.d.}
4 internal pockets [2 zippered, 2 mesh stash}
1 secret internal pocket
Bottom hem adjustment
Jacket-to-pant zipper integration system

YP,
It's on the inside left bottom. It has a small zipper pull, kinda of in a strange place IMO.
I don't know if I would feel comfortable putting anything worth hiding into it. It just doesn't inspire confidence being built into the thin liner, putting a wallet/money/ID in there.
I have been riding a bit with my new Badlands the past month or so. The one thing I had to change is the armour in the elbows. The weather has been chilly lately here in Colorado. I know, strange huh? The armour in the jacket when cold is extreemly hard and not very pliable. I like the chest and back pieces, as they are relatively flat, but the shape of the elbow was digging into my elbow due to not bending on the pointy bone. I switched the elbow armour to the Pro Life that was in my Revit Jacket. It is definately not on the same protection level IMO, but I am going to try to modifiy the Sas Tec to make it more comfortable, and hopefully this summer it loosens up and becomes more user friendly.
Other than the elbow issue I love the jacket, very comfortable on the bike, it makes me feel protected and is very well made. The fabric shunts the wind and rain with ease. I even got caught in some snow on Kenosha Pass a few days ago and it didn't let any weather in. The vents work extreemly well and other than 90+ temps, it is going to be the goto jacket for DS riding for me. Serious type trail riding I will probably reach for my Tekvest and a light windbreaker.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #141
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
Did you try adjusting it down - I think there are a couple positions for the elbow armour...

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #142
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,078
My two cents

This is a reveiw that I left on another thread about the Badlands Pro that I thought maybe a few poeple on this thread may find informative:

"I will be right up front and let everyone know that I work at and operate a brick and mortar family owned and operated powersports business that is heavily into Klim product and we are all nuts about the gear. With that being said I am not trying to sell anyone anything but I do have a lot of riding experience with the suit considering I have been wearing the Badlands Pro gear since my rep dropped off his samples for me to test quite a few months ago.
I will not re-hash what has been said here already but add some new comments from my perspective as an offroad and street rider that has worn this jacket in both applications. As far as body size and suit size goes for reference I am 5'10" 185 lbs and wear the Large jacket and size 36 pants. I went up a size from what I normally wear in riding gear in both pant and jacket with the mindset that these are shell pieces meant to layer underneath. I ride in very very cold temperatures at times and I wanted ample room to layer. Neither piece looks too large when not layered due to all of the points of adjustability, arm straps etc, that really give a tailored look either way. The only permanent adjusting I had to do was fold the sleeve cuffs back one time to adjust the length which you couldn't tell if you didn't know.
Leatt Neck Brace:
I wear my Leatt (Club II) whether riding on or off road and the brace works well with the jacket. I wear my brace on top of the jacket not underneath so I have had to move up one size in the, what I will call, side latch pieces that Leatt gives with the brace to accommodate the material from the jacket. The rear "strut" of the brace does sit on top of the D3o back armor but for me is not uncomfortable at all.
Offroad Riding (XR250R):
The jacket has been fantastic in full offroad situations. I wear an Acerbis Cosmo suit that fits very well underneath the jacket with the D3o armor removed. The Cosmo could more than likely fit with the D3o but I do not feel it is necessary to have both. I think of the jacket in offroad situations as a more storage capable Powerxross Pullover with a built in kidney belt and hydration port.
Street Riding (DL650):
The suit is perfect for any street application. I have been in heavy rain and below freezing temperatures and the suit has been amazing. I come from a Aerostich Roadcrafter and the Badlands simply blows it out of the water. I have NEVER worn anything but a simple cotton t-shirt under the jacket for street riding including once at 28 degrees and I was not even slightly cold. The Gore-Tex Pro Shell is the most amazing fabric ever created by man and I am beginning to wonder if there isn't some sort of magic at play at the Gore laboratories. It is just great. I am not sure if it has been mentioned here or not but there is an internal waterproof storage sack in one of the chest pockets for the moisture that comes out of your body and through the Gore-Tex fabric. I have not had any issues with moisture build up in the pockets but the guys at Klim think of everything!
Misc:
After riding in the samples and before purchasing my Badlands Pro gear I sold EVERY piece of street riding gear I owned. That sale included my Roadcrafter (IMO, and no offense to the good people at Aerostich, glorified Carhartt coveralls), leather two piece suit, misc other textile gear from Alpinestars and Shift, and a few other odds ands ends. I did this simply because I knew that I would not need them anymore for any reason! The Badlands Pro is an amazingly versatile piece that will do an entire closets worth of duties in a single jacket and pant combo. With that being said I do not find that the price is out of line whatsoever and find the suit would hold up better than other gear on the market that is a much higher price.

Sorry for the longish write up but these were just a few topics I have noticed that were kind of missing from the conversation on the Bandlands Pro suit. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to give any other real life feedback that I can.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #143
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Did you try adjusting it down - I think there are a couple positions for the elbow armour...
Yes, I did try adjusting in the pocket, to no avail. It just wasn't bending like it should I belive due to the cold temps I have been riding in. No biggie, I'll put them back in in the summer and give them another go.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #144
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Yes, I did try adjusting in the pocket, to no avail. It just wasn't bending like it should I belive due to the cold temps I have been riding in. No biggie, I'll put them back in in the summer and give them another go.
Yes, cold is not a friend of the Badlands Pro armor. I was out a few weeks ago. Temps started off at 17F and warmed up to 27F by the time I was heading home. I was afraid to try and bend/warmup the elbow armor it was so hard. Not very comfortable to say the least. But, I don't plan on doing a lot of riding in temps below 32F so it's not a big deal to me. This suit ROCKS!!!

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #145
cmumford
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I also found this to be true for me. I fit any any XL just fine, but the forearms on this jacket are just to small. The XXL fits my forearms but then length is to long and it's big around the waist and chest on me.
Keep us posted on what they are willing to do.
Interacting with Klim was great. I got a super nice & smart person on the phone in their customer service dept. I relayed to her my two issues with the jacket (Velcro weakness and forearm size). She didn't know the forearm dimensions that the jacket was designed fore, but said that she would have them measured when I returned the jacket. Once the jacket arrived at Klim (about a week later) she called me to let me know that the Velcro was indeed weak, and that it would be easier to give me a replacement jacket instead of a repair. She also said that the forearm width was measured and determined to be within spec. Who knows - maybe my forearms are bigger than average. Being that they were giving me a new jacket she gave me the option to up-size to a XL if I wanted. I did remember trying on an XL and felt it was too big so decided to stick with a large. The rest of the jacket fits so perfectly, and as long as I stick with thin base layers I'm warm and comfortable down to around 40F all day, and probably the high 20's for an hour or two.

When I got the brand new jacket the velcro was better. I still wouldn't describe it as particularly strong - I'd prefer snaps, but hopefully the straps won't come undone in the wind when riding.

I give Klim's customer service high marks. The jacket quality is great, and I consider the arm strap issue to be a design instead of a manufacturing issue. If it annoys me any further I'm just going to have a tailor put in snaps as I don't expect I'll be needing to adjust the arms any further.
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #146
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
bypassing the thumb loops

What are you doing to bypass the Badlands' thumb loops? I have a pair of snug fitting gloves that I like. On the other hand, my wife's pretty good with the sewing machine. Thanks.

I-Su.Yu screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 06:47 PM
I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #147
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Su.Yu View Post
What are you doing to bypassthe Badlands' thumb loops? I have a pair of snug fitting gloves that I like. On the other hand, my wife's pretty good with the sewing machine. Thanks.
I checked this out with my summer gloves and what worked for me was to just fold a "cuff" in lining back up into the sleeve so that my thumb doesn't catch it on the way through. But, I only would do this if the temps were high. It's really nice having the long lining and thumb hole when the temps are low

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #148
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Dakar -> Badlands Pants

I wear Klim Dakar pants over Klim tactical shorts and strap on knee pads. Other than the fact that they really aren't designed to be worn in the wet, and they don't vent to the back, they're pretty good. I imagine I could sell them to paritally offset the high $$$ of upgrading to Badlands Pro Pants. Anyone done that? Is the sizing pretty much the same? How much more abrasion resistant is the Badlands Pro? Thanks.

I-Su.Yu screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 05:38 PM
I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #149
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 580
Have both

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Su.Yu View Post
I wear Klim Dakar pants over Klim tactical shorts and strap on knee pads. Other than the fact that they really aren't designed to be worn in the wet, and they don't vent to the back, they're pretty good. I imagine I could sell them to paritally offset the high $$$ of upgrading to Badlands Pro Pants. Anyone done that? Is the sizing pretty much the same? How much more abrasion resistant is the Badlands Pro? Thanks.
I have both and plan in keeping both. I plan on using the Badlands for cool weather and long jaunts and the Dakar for hot day rides or as alternates for hot days on longer trips (they both use the same armor so I can pack one in a small space while wearing the other). The Dakars and the Badlands both vent behind the thighs so I am not sure what you are referring to. The Pros are sturdier and if I went down I'd prefer that I had those on. Sizing is similar IMHO.

2007 G650 Xchallenge - Sold
2009 F800GS
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R - may my meager skills be up to the challenge
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #150
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
I have both ... The Dakars and the Badlands both vent behind the thighs.
Dakar : "2 dual adjustable 20 thigh mesh-lined vents with dual zipper heads"
Badlands : "max flow ventilation: 4 ports (2 mid-thigh intakes, 2 rear leg exhausts)"

How do you experience the Badlands when the weather's hot and all the vents are open? Is it hotter/the same/cooler than the Dakar?

Thanks.