Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #151
Pardus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
So can anyone help me with selecting a size? I read the thread and based on the great replies I'm still stuck between L and XL.

6'2"
195#
34 waist
16.5 34/35 fitted shirt
43L/44L suit
Athletic build

I was about to order L until I read the Big Bird reply (LMFAO!!) and now I'm not so sure.

OK, thanks again for all the great info in this thread and for the great offer from a vendor to help people in doubt about size.

In case it helps anyone I made a decision after trying L and XL on. I went with L.

The XL Traverse is way too big and basing it off that (assuming the same sizing for the Badlands) XL would have been completely off the table. But the XL Badlands was not as bad. It would have been a bit much for most of the riding I do though. It would have worked for adding layers under it like thick fleece and I could have gotten my Juggernaut under it too but it has its own armor and most of the time I don't think I'll need that much insulation. Without a thick fleece it would have been a sloppy fit with excess material especially around the midsection. The armor had enough freedom I'm not certain it would be laying just right when needed.

The L is a pretty trim fit. Not tight or restrictive but not what I would call roomy. With a t-shirt or long sleeve baselayer it's great. I can add a midweight layer and it's still good. With a thick fleece it starts getting restrictive and uncomfortable.

With the right layers under it the arm length is good, the freedom of movement is good, and there isn't a bunch of excess around the gut when seated on the bike. I'm assuming breaking it in will make it feel even better.

The one thing I already think I'd change is a higher collar or flip up extension on the collar. It's a small matter and I can take care of it with a gaiter if need be but so far that's the only thing I can think of that I might change.

I have to say the Klim sizing info is accurate assuming it is intended to be worn with the types of baselayers I will be using.

Great jacket; can't wait to ride with it.

Pardus screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 08:27 AM Reason: spelling
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #152
Scurich
BMW Steve

Oddometer: 154
Tried Klim on at Scuderia West in SF today...

Getting close to ordering my Badlands, but was having trouble finding one in stock somewhere to try on (never owned Klim before - made great use out of my Rallye 2 Pro and other BMW apparel over the years). As of today, Scuderia West in SF has a Black Badlands Pro jacket in XL, and some Latitude gear (jacket in L, pants in 34 and 36 reg length) on the floor... Fred was great helping me out by the way up

I'm 6'2", 200 lbs., fairly athletic build, 34/34 jeans (Levi's and Ariat), 16/34-35 dress shirt, and 43 chest.

1. Jacket - Tried on the XL Badlands with a T-Shirt underneath and way too big. Arms were too long and I was swimming inside jacket - even with layers it wouldn't work. The Large Latitude fit perfectly, so I'm guessing a Large in a Badlands will be great. What an awesome quality suit though and I really liked the built-in kidney belt.

2. Pants - 34 Reg in the Latitude was too small, especially at hip area when putting on. There's some stretch in the back, and velcro adjustments on the sides, but if you plan on wearing any under layers, it definitely ran smaller than my Ariat Jeans. The 36 was perfect at the waist and allowed easy on/off and custom fit with side straps. The regular length is 32, which was definitely too short for me. A 36 Tall has a 35 in inseam which will be perfect.

In short, given my measurements above: I'm a Large in the Badlands Pro jacket and a 36 Tall in the pants. Helpful as I was about to order the pants in a 34... Oh yeah....unbelievable suit!

Hope this helps anyone of similar size...

"I'd keep playing, I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for a while..."

2008 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Scurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #153
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurich View Post
Getting close to ordering my Badlands ... I'm 6'2", 200 lbs ...
I spent a couple of hours last Thursday evening checking out the Klim gear at Adventure Designs in Hayward, CA.
They have a whole rack of Badlands Pro jackets and pants in their showroom, as well as alot of other styles.

Chad Olson,a co-owner, wears Badlands Pro and is about your size. You should check them out. Great service and competitive prices.

I left with a new Klim Inversion jacket, BTW, which I plan to wear both as a mid layer and off the bike.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Gary

I-Su.Yu screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 08:45 AM
I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #154
Scurich
BMW Steve

Oddometer: 154
That's great to know, I'll try to get by there. Thanks Gary!

"I'd keep playing, I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for a while..."

2008 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Scurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #155
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 335
After reading a few of the user reviews of the Badlands gear I made it my mission to find a retailer here in Nor Cal stocking some to try out. After calling Klim to find out who in Nor Cal actually had recently ordered a reasonable amount of gear with Badlands it turned out there were just two retailers within 150 miles that had any stock. Scuderia and Adventure Designs in Hayward. Scuderia only had one size XL in stock for the last month and for some reason every time I called Adv Designs it went to voice mail and I hate voice mail with a passion. Let it go for the last month and some one posted in regional forums how pleased they were with the service at Adv Designs I made it a point to drive up and take a look.

Last Friday I had a chance to make the trek and got to look over the Latitude and Badlands gear and was very happy with what I saw. Trouble was the Large jacket seemed a tad too lose in the arms and mid chest, 44L is my norm and skinny folks have it kind of rough with most off the shelf gear. So I really wanted to try a medium and they did not have one in at the time. One of the two owners which are brothers offered to have Klim send in some 32" pants (another one of those skinny guy troubles, never have much below a 34" ever in stock) and a medium jacket to try on. Got the call yesterday that the gear had arrived, two business days after talking to Chad, and that they would hold them till I could get up and try them out this week. Not one other retailer I spoke to offered anything besides paying it up front and will work to get the size right. Old world style customer service, I will be back to Adventure Designs in Hayward CA.

So far I have only had a chance to do a short run around a few lakes nearbye to see how the stuff feels on the bike, very comfortable but still a tad stiff being brand new not surprised. I absolutely love the built in kidney belt and how it seems to help hold the jacket onto your torso opposed to my last jackets, Firstgear, always felt like it hung from my shoulders and neither of these jackets is exactly light. Being that it is fairly windy right now in Nor Cal and fairly cool, 46 degrees without windchill (I know we are spoiled) and instantly noticed with all the vents closed that this jacket holds my body heat in much better. So far, with limited use, I am extremely happy with my most expensive gear purchase ever for a motorcycle. Time will tell how far into summer I can use this jacket and pants but with the venting system seeming to be pretty extensive I hope it turns out to be 80% of the year for me.

K.B.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #156
Nod-Off
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Su.Yu View Post
What are you doing to bypass the Badlands' thumb loops? I have a pair of snug fitting gloves that I like. On the other hand, my wife's pretty good with the sewing machine. Thanks.
Yu: I had a similar concern -- just couldn't imagine the sleeve condom thingies working for me, especially when the weather warms up. Simple solution: my local alterations person charged me $20 to take 'em out and carefully finish off the inside sleeve seem w/o penetrating the (Gortex) liner . Result? A perfect fitting jacket with much improved sleeve and arm ventilation system and much more comfortable.

Good luck.
Nod-Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #157
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod-Off View Post
Yu: I had a similar concern -- just couldn't imagine the sleeve condom thingies working for me, especially when the weather warms up. Simple solution: my local alterations person charged me $20 to take 'em out and carefully finish off the inside sleeve seem w/o penetrating the (Gortex) liner . Result? A perfect fitting jacket with much improved sleeve and arm ventilation system and much more comfortable.

Good luck.
I actually prefer the "wrist gator" in cold weather and it keeps water from migrating up the sleeve in really hard rain. When it gets hot and humid out I suppose just putting a cuff in it will get it out of my glove.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you when you get a chance to ride in the a rain all day.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #158
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
I notice in the webbikeworld review, they complain about the snaps on the waistband, rather than a hook arrangement. Bad idea I think.

But they say this is a pre-prod version of the pants - can anyone tell me if this changed to a hook-and-loop arrangement in the final version?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #159
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I notice in the webbikeworld review, they complain about the snaps on the waistband, rather than a hook arrangement. Bad idea I think.

But they say this is a pre-prod version of the pants - can anyone tell me if this changed to a hook-and-loop arrangement in the final version?

Still Snaps. I prefer them over a hooked clasp like my BMW Rally Pro pants. Not sure I agree with webbikeworld.com as to the safety aspects of hooked clasp over snaps.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #160
BBRadar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod-Off View Post

Good luck.
I actually don't mind the sleeve condom things and it gets really hot where I am. Sure they restrict air flow a bit more, but I like them because I wear short gloves, and with these tucked under it's enough to keep the sun off the small portion of my arm that usually shows.
Since I've had this jacket I haven't been getting sun burnt there.
BBRadar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #161
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,236
So sorry if I missed this, but how do the pants and jacket sizes compare to the traverse? I wear a medium Traverse jacket and it fits pretty good, and a 32 pant. The jacket is just a tad snug if I wear a base layer and a heated liner. But otherwise it's quite roomy. Being a chick, I've got to make sure that it's not gonna fit me like a dress. How do they compare?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #162
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
We have the Latitude now and the pants compared to the Traverse fit more snug around the hips. I have the same size in each, once over the hips for us they fit still more snug. I know you are asking about the Badlands which might have more room but the Traverse are by far the most comfy for us as grrls.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #163
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 299
I have both and feel the Badlands pants fit slightly tighter in the waist, and feel trimmer in the hip/rear areas
but not enough to worry about. Jackets are the same. Now I am a guy, so take it for what it's worth. And Soph
my collar doesn't bother me at all, and have been wearing since Nov and thrown only in the dryer.
Allen
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #164
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
the Badlands collar right? I have had so many emails and messages about the Latitude collar have heard nothing really uncomfortable with the Badlands collar
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #165
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
I have both and feel the Badlands pants fit slightly tighter in the waist, and feel trimmer in the hip/rear areas
but not enough to worry about. Jackets are the same. Now I am a guy, so take it for what it's worth. And Soph
my collar doesn't bother me at all, and have been wearing since Nov and thrown only in the dryer.
Allen
Sweet! Thanks.....I wear the 32 Traverse as overpants and they even have room for my belt!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote