Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #196
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
I rode under the rain yesterday and experienced the same. I did not have time to inspect where the leak came from, but it could have been from the front zipper. I'm pretty sure I did not have it done all the way up, including the collar piece. I'll check again at the next downpour.

Other than that, everything stayed dry. Very happy with this jacket so far. Though, I wonder why they did not use a waterproof type zipper for the front? Perhaps these are not well suited for heavy/regular usage?
Both KLIM and Ruka tried the Gore zippers and both gave up on them pretty quick. I have had no issues with my Adventure Jacket zipper but I keep it well lubricated. Some folks questioned the safety of the Gore zippers as well, since they are little more than glorified ziplocks and can be pulled apart by hand. Whether they would stay zipper during a long tarmac slide was brought up by more than one person.. total speculation since I have not read a report of an actual real world test yet.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #197
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Both KLIM and Ruka tried the Gore zippers and both gave up on them pretty quick. I have had no issues with my Adventure Jacket zipper but I keep it well lubricated. Some folks questioned the safety of the Gore zippers as well, since they are little more than glorified ziplocks and can be pulled apart by hand. Whether they would stay zipper during a long tarmac slide was brought up by more than one person.. total speculation since I have not read a report of an actual real world test yet.
Have you seen the zip on the new Streetguard jacket from BMW? Looks very much like a conventional zip yet is waterproof...

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #198
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Have you seen the zip on the new Streetguard jacket from BMW? Looks very much like a conventional zip yet is waterproof...
Well there have been traditional looking waterproof zippers for years.. I guess in my haste I just assumed he was asking about the Gore lockout zipper. My Badlands trousers have traditional tooth zippers on the vents and they are waterproof, I would hope the jacket is the same?? I have the Adventure jacket so I havent handled the Badlands jacket yet.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #199
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Well there have been traditional looking waterproof zippers for years.. I guess in my haste I just assumed he was asking about the Gore lockout zipper. My Badlands trousers have traditional tooth zippers on the vents and they are waterproof, I would hope the jacket is the same?? I have the Adventure jacket so I havent handled the Badlands jacket yet.
The Badlands jacket front zipper does not have the waterproof "membrane", but all other zippers (vents, pockets) do. I can't imagine that this would be down to cost, so must has to do with design.

Is the front zipper on your Adventure jacket the same waterproof type as on your Badlands trousers?
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #200
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Got the new suit out for its maiden voyage today. Rode highway, backroads, NFS roads, and single track. Off and on rain all day. All I can say is this gear is awesome! I couldn't be happier!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #201
rokdktr
Adventure North

Oddometer: 208
Okay....bought a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and am getting ready to pull the trigger on the pants. I am 6 foot, 225-230, wide shoulders, 38-40 waist depending on which asian country my jeans were made, 31 inch inseam, 46-48 chest I think.

I bought the XL jackets, as it seemed to be perfect arms and shoulders, but the mid seciton leaves a bit of room for under layers if need be. First ride it felt a bit loose but I am not sure if I want to downsize or leave it that way....I'll go try a L size tonight.

Should I be alright with a 38 pant? I'll try a 36 tonight but I guess there is some adjustment to the belt line correct? Enough to compensate for 38-40 waist in a size 38 pant? I'd like to simply order them online.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #202
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I didn't get the jacket yet but I spent a while trying em on. I'm 6'2" 205, 46 long. The XL definitely was a little large, but when I tried the Large, there was just no way. Probably with just a t shirt, almost livable but there was no way layers were going to fit. +20 lbs, I'd say the XL is for you. Pants I got and they are true to size, I'm a 35 and got a 36 Long and they cinch up fine. Little baggy in the ass, but I think they're just cut that way to be more comfortable riding.
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #203
rokdktr
Adventure North

Oddometer: 208
You are correct. Went back to the shop and tried a L again and then the 38 again. The 36 fit like new leathers....NO way was I going to get anything more than an under style base layer in there....so the XL it is....no problem..love it so far but still to busy to get s good ride to try it out. 36 pants are a no go either...cant even get them up my legs...lol....have to try a 38 I think.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #204
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,037
Quote:
Both KLIM and Ruka tried the Gore zippers and both gave up on them pretty quick.
My Rukka Armas has the Lockout as do the latest models. It hasn't been abandoned. Far from it. Frankly, I'll eat my words on this one. I love the Lockout. The rigamarole factor is extremely low now that the flaps and velcro have been eliminated. I tried on my friends Badlands Pro and I was annoyed by the pain the ass of entry compared to my Armas. I still am not sure how it's going to hold up long term, and how it'll hold in a tumble, but damn it sure is nice in daily use. Frankly, it works. It's that simple, and considering the experience I had with Gore today on an unrelated issue, I'm not too worried about longevity since they'll stand by it. Call me a believer.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #205
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdktr View Post
Okay....bought a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and am getting ready to pull the trigger on the pants. I am 6 foot, 225-230, wide shoulders, 38-40 waist depending on which asian country my jeans were made, 31 inch inseam, 46-48 chest I think.

I bought the XL jackets, as it seemed to be perfect arms and shoulders, but the mid seciton leaves a bit of room for under layers if need be. First ride it felt a bit loose but I am not sure if I want to downsize or leave it that way....I'll go try a L size tonight.

Should I be alright with a 38 pant? I'll try a 36 tonight but I guess there is some adjustment to the belt line correct? Enough to compensate for 38-40 waist in a size 38 pant? I'd like to simply order them online.
Just some info from my own experience. I am a little bigger than you, but I wear a 38 in every pair of pants I own. I measured up with the Klim size chart, and figured for layering, and decided on the 40's. Extremely happy I did. They fit great with just Klim Tactical shorts underneath, but have room for under armour, or your choice of layering. Again, just my personal experience.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #206
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
My Rukka Armas has the Lockout as do the latest models. It hasn't been abandoned. Far from it. Frankly, I'll eat my words on this one. I love the Lockout. The rigamarole factor is extremely low now that the flaps and velcro have been eliminated. I tried on my friends Badlands Pro and I was annoyed by the pain the ass of entry compared to my Armas. I still am not sure how it's going to hold up long term, and how it'll hold in a tumble, but damn it sure is nice in daily use. Frankly, it works. It's that simple, and considering the experience I had with Gore today on an unrelated issue, I'm not too worried about longevity since they'll stand by it. Call me a believer.
Well it was your reviews that I based my statements on partially, so now you go and change your mind on me I know that KLIM eliminated the Lockout zips on the Adventure pants, but kept them on the jacket. I have had zero issues on the vent Lockout zippers as well.. keep it clean and oiled and it works like a charm. I would certainly be interested in seeing how that main zipper holds up under a 75mph skid and roll... then again I never would have thought of it if it hadnt been for your questioning it in other threads.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #207
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,037
Quote:
Well it was your reviews that I based my statements on partially, so now you go and change your mind on me I know that KLIM eliminated the Lockout zips on the Adventure pants, but kept them on the jacket. I have had zero issues on the vent Lockout zippers as well.. keep it clean and oiled and it works like a charm. I would certainly be interested in seeing how that main zipper holds up under a 75mph skid and roll... then again I never would have thought of it if it hadnt been for your questioning it in other threads.
I still have longevity and crash concerns, and maybe that is reason enough not to have it. I can tell you that it is really nice in daily use. I've become a believer, but I still have a hard time believing that a (well engineered) piece
of rubber is going to hold up to the stresses of long term use on a motorcycle jacket. I'll probably get bored with the jacket and move on to something else by then anyway
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #208
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
So, I finally got my pants....and they're tight. They fit very different from the Traverse. Waist is much higher. Wondering if they'll stretch out a bit??? They are snug and I can fit a belt and a pair of jeans under the Traverse, no way under the Badlands.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #209
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So, I finally got my pants....and they're tight. They fit very different from the Traverse. Waist is much higher. Wondering if they'll stretch out a bit??? They are snug and I can fit a belt and a pair of jeans under the Traverse, no way under the Badlands.

My [originally tight] 38" Badlands loosened up a bit to give some play and I even had to use the velcro adjusters on my cross country trip last month. I don't believe they are meant to be worn as overpants. The Badlands is more along the lines of a backpackers technical outer shell (with armor for our use) that is worn over baselayer/midlayer garmets.

a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #210
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ronm View Post
My [originally tight] 38" Badlands loosened up a bit to give some play and I even had to use the velcro adjusters on my cross country trip last month. I don't believe they are meant to be worn as overpants. The Badlands is more along the lines of a backpackers technical outer shell (with armor for our use) that is worn over baselayer/midlayer garmets.

Good to know they'll loosen up and stretch out a bit. I've worn my Traverse over jeans and these were supposed to be sized the same, I realize they're not overpants. i had a pair of tiny TNF hiking shorts on, equivalent to a pair of LD's so was suprised to find them snug around the waist and hips a bit. They feel a bit like "mom jeans" on me, super high wasited. Hoping they stretch out a tad so I can hang them lower otherwise there may be a size 32 grey pants in the FM?!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote