Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #211
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Am I missing something...?

The Rukka Armas is $1700 DOLLARS...

Ummm...thats a Klim jacket, pants and maybe even a new helmet, too...

...not judging here...just observing...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #212
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
Am I missing something...?

The Rukka Armas is $1700 DOLLARS...

Ummm...thats a Klim jacket, pants and maybe even a new helmet, too...

...not judging here...just observing...
Of the handful of vocal Armas lovers on this site, I doubt there is a single one that paid that for the suit. It can be had for much less. I paid roughly what the badlands suit costs, so that is a wash.

Anyway, I bought mine before the Badlands came out. On spec, the badlands is probably a better suit with the extensive venting, chest armor and kidney belt being at the top for me. However, there is a certain elusiveness about a Rukka suit. There is just something about it. It really is something special that you notice the more you wear it. However, others are definitely gaining ground. I don't like the wannabe aesthetic of the Klim stuff, but that's just me. I would guess that the Badlands is a MUCH better suit to crash in, thanks to the more extensive use of Armacor, and the lack of the dubious stretch cordura that holds lots of the panels together on the Armas. I have serious doubts about the strength of this material. Armor coverage is much better on the Armas, with the obvious exception of the chest armor on the badlands. The upgraded D30 might be better on the badlands, but damn those pieces sure are small.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #213
GlobalTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I did a 3500 mile tour of Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees in the Badlands Pro suit in May. Temps ranged from -5c to +30c with sun, snow and everthing inbetween.
The jacket performed brilliantly, the trousers leaked like a sieve, wet crotch at the first sign of rain.
Sent them back under warranty (nigh on 4 weeks ago) and I'm getting the runaraound, Gore tested them and confirmed they leak (construction wise not material) and now they are with Klim USA for more testing.
Unfortunately, my retailer is passing the buck and wont repair or replace until Klim give him the nod (he cant afford to) - Not impressed.
I've since contacted Klim USA direct and now wait for their response.
We pay a premium for Klim gear in the UK, the suit cost me ~1500GBP ($2200) and Ive spent shedloads of money with this retailer, but unfortunately valued customer I aint!

RR - Two weeks Touring Scotland
GlobalTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #214
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Your experience is why I went with the Klim product (USA source...not manufacture:-( ) with the Gore warranty verses trying to import a comparable suit. I've gone through a similar path as you with a BWM Coverall that took near a year to resolve...I was wary of a repeat. Global logistics is great until things don't work.
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #215
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTech View Post
I did a 3500 mile tour of Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees in the Badlands Pro suit in May. Temps ranged from -5c to +30c with sun, snow and everthing inbetween.
The jacket performed brilliantly, the trousers leaked like a sieve, wet crotch at the first sign of rain.
Sent them back under warranty (nigh on 4 weeks ago) and I'm getting the runaraound, Gore tested them and confirmed they leak (construction wise not material) and now they are with Klim USA for more testing.
Unfortunately, my retailer is passing the buck and wont repair or replace until Klim give him the nod (he cant afford to) - Not impressed.
I've since contacted Klim USA direct and now wait for their response.
We pay a premium for Klim gear in the UK, the suit cost me ~1500GBP ($2200) and Ive spent shedloads of money with this retailer, but unfortunately valued customer I aint!
That sounds like trying to get a warranty claim on Rukka in the US
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #216
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Thumb What do you guys think

I waited until it got resolved to post.

About 6 weeks ago I ordered a Badlands Pro Jacket and Pants from two different retailers (neither had both in stock). I was doing a trip to the US and had them shipped to a friend's to save taxes and shipping.

I pick up both and first thing I notice is that I was sent a latitude jacket instead of Badlands . The retailer apologised profusely and paid for the return shipping and sent me the correct jacket home in Victoria. The pants performed great, hit quite a bit of rain on that trip and they remained dry. Despite some comments re. the large upper section, I find them to be quite comfortable, the fit is correct and I like the room. I am 6'2" 185lbs and ordered 36 T. I added a pair of cotton expandable suspender and they work great for me.

As others have pointed the jacket is a bit beefy but the waist straps is great and the armor quickly molds to shape. About a week after I received the jacket, I finally got to test it in the rain. I rode back home from my daily commute under the rain, it was raining hard but not thunder storm hard. When I got home the inside of my arms at the crook of the elbow were wet, there were circles of water on the sleeves of my shirt about 2 inches or so in diameter.

I was fuming

I took some pictures and contacted Klim USA. They said that they would deal with it but asked that I went through DCI (Klim Canada supplier). I contacted them and spoke and exchanged several emails with the Manager. He was very helpful and kept me abreast of the conversations he was having with Klim USA.

They asked me to do a further test by taping the zippers on the sleeves and spraying them with a garden hose. I inserted a few rolled up shop towels and the test was conclusive, water was seeping through.

The conversation with the Canada rep remained very positive and professional but I still pushed for the jacket to be replaced since it was so new.

I read and understood the Klim warranty and know that it is discretionary on their part to see if they will repair or replace, but remember this is a week old jacket worth just under $1000.00. So considering their reputation, both on line and among the riding community I was pretty shocked to find out they would repair and not replace. The Canadian rep said he pushed for a replacement, for what it's worth I believed him.

So I shipped the jacket back to Idaho, and I have to admit that they were fast in rectifying the problem, I shipped it on the 11th and received an email today that they were returning it UPS overnight.

The customer service from Klim Canada has been top notch and the actual "repairs" were done without delay and shipped promptly.

Of course all the shipping cost where covered by Klim.

This said, what do you guys think of the whole thing? I must admit that I am left in quite a dubitative state. . I mean they fixed and address the problem fast, efficiently and professionally, so I suppose I should be happy, but somehow I would have been happier if they would have replaced the jacket with a new.

Considering they are the manufacturer and they make the garments, am I not effectively getting a new jacket? I don't know.

At the end of the day what is important is that the jacket does what it promises it will, and keeps me warm/cool and dry. So does it really matter if I got a lemon (it happens) and that they fixed the problem (only time will tell) by mending -this- new jacket instead of sending me a new one. Am I better off?

It's a corporate decision and essentially I have nothing bad to say about the company but...

I consistently have had problems when ordering on line lately, luckily I have dealt with generally professional organization but %*^(@)* I wish they would get it right the first time.

Micatech shipping error fixed and it was fairly costly for them and they gave me an extra bag liner

Touratech product not exactly working as advertised, walk me through a custom fix using something I had and offered to sell me an adaptor for $55.00 which I should not have needed in the first place. Used the custom fit.

Happy Trail shipping error, fixed it and offered me a minor discount on another product.

Altrider sold me a spot that was a recall unit, took me almost 2 months dealing with SPOT (Globalstar) to get a replacement unit, they extended my membership by 3 months. Altrider did nothing to help.

Wunderlich: map pouch on the tank bag became undone on first trip, company sent me a new pouch, first time I unzipped it to place a map in, the zipper tab stayed in my fingers. I attached a new tab, can't be bothered...

Kildala misunderstood my emailed itemized order, and forgot to send me a protective cover, since the price quoted included that part, they shipped me the part free up charge.

Flea Market, bought a used PIAA set and the relay on the harness appears to be defective, it could be installation error, but the more I look and test the more it looks like the relay is kaput.

WTF

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 03:40 PM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #217
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
My BMW Coverall zipper saga had me (1) returning the Coverall to a BMW dealer @ my cost then (2) the dealer would ship it to Rainy Pass for "repair evaluation". On the 1st original Coverall, Rainy Pass said they couldn't fix the separated zipper and BMW authorized a replacement that was (3) shipped to me at BMW's cost.

Had they been able to fix the zipper, I would have got the repaired, near new suit back.

Replacement Coverall: Steps (1) @ my cost, (2) & (3) repeated even though now me, the Dealer and Rainy Pass knew the zipper couldn't be fixed the "process had to be followed.

Replacement to the replacement: Steps (1) to dealer again at my cost, dealer went to BWM corporate crying foul and I got my money back for the coverall..........I was still out 3 shipment costs (about $75 total) and lack of use for a very expense piece of gear.

At a certain price level expectations and outcomes become different for how warranty is handled. For low cost items where it is more costly to repair than replace, replace is usually the option. For more costly items, items with extensive warranties, or companies that stand on a "lifetime warranty" reputation, they repair is usually the first solution for used items (if its still tagged and defective out -of-the-box replacement is the expectation). I've got a North Face Duffle that I purchased in 1980, the strap loop pulled out at the seam 24 years later.......TNF fixed it under warranty.

The Badlands is an expensive piece of gear, with a longer than usual warranty (item lifetime, not owner lifetime) and a waterproof guarantee for life from Gore, once I cut the tags off (Revzilla's point-of-no-return Warning!!) and wore it outside it was mine and no matter what we think, the condition of the item at that point goes from New to Used.

KLIM's Warranty page says repair is 1st option for used gear.

Unfortunately when it comes to waterproof/leakage conditions, the item will always be Used when a leakage is found, kind of a Catch 22 there.

The way I'd look at it, you already identified the manufacturing early mortality issues and should be good to go for years, if you got your out-of-pocket shipping costs back even better. But still stings some...........
a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #218
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,055
I think it's good that they repaired the jacket vs replace. Maybe others have had similar problems and they learned from their mistake on your coat??? And now they've thoroughly tested your coat, and are confident that you won't have any more issues. Just my .02
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #219
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
I kind of think that way too... In the end I dealt with a professional organization and they fixed my lemon

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #220
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here but.....

I, for one, have never seen a riding jacket worth $900.00. To me it simply does not exist. Mine cost me 3 bills and has never leaked, fits like a glove, and is made by a very reputable company. I have looked at the Klim line and it doesn't do anything that other quality jackets and pants don't do. Plus they don't even offer anything in high viz. I guess to each his own.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #221
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I, for one, have never seen a riding jacket worth $900.00. To me it simply does not exist. Mine cost me 3 bills and has never leaked, fits like a glove, and is made by a very reputable company. I have looked at the Klim line and it doesn't do anything that other quality jackets and pants don't do. Plus they don't even offer anything in high viz. I guess to each his own.
I used to simply love my aerostich roadcrafter...then I got into dual sporting. I didn't get enough movement from the RC, and I couldn't wear motocross boots. So I thought a Darien might be better suited to my needs. I wanted the most abrasion resistant fabric they had, which were the AD1 pants. But they couldn't be altered, and honestly, a Darien just doesn't fit a woman, it was like wearing a potato sack. I was happy to find the Klim line actually fit me, like it was made for me. None of my Klim stuff has ever leaked, and the movement I have is undeniable. I like the lifetime Gore guarantee, and all I've heard about Klim customer service has been top notch. It is expensive, but I believe worth every penny. I like lighter colors, and thats my only complaint, but nothing a hi viz vest wont fix. I have to replace mine once a year, becuase they loose they're brightness, and I notice this also happens with every hi viz jacket I've ever seen. my vest is only 30 bucks. But yes, to each his/her own.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #222
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
what are you wearing these days hardwaregrrl?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #223
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
what are you wearing these days hardwaregrrl?
Still have the Traverse, but I have switched it to be my Rally racing gear, and have gotten myself a pair of badlands pants and have a jacket sitting in a shop, just waiting for me to put my money on it...but I just had to replace the control arm on my car!!! There goes 6 hundred bucks...fuck. Oh well, maybe next month. You? I will say I had to go up one pant size in the Badlands, They are very straight cut across the hip vs the traverse.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #224
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
we have the Latitude suits now....I just posted in the Latitude thread our second opinions about that suit...Cheryl is going back to the Traverse until KLIM releases a lighter weight Latitude which I think they are soon. I am still on the fence. The Traverse fits us much better and is more comfy. We shall see what KLIM has in store for we ADV grrl riders. Lot's of rumors going around at the rally....March 2013 could be a good month for grrls
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #225
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
we have the Latitude suits now....I just posted in the Latitude thread our second opinions about that suit...Cheryl is going back to the Traverse until KLIM releases a lighter weight Latitude which I think they are soon. I am still on the fence. The Traverse fits us much better and is more comfy. We shall see what KLIM has in store for we ADV grrl riders. Lot's of rumors going around at the rally....March 2013 could be a good month for grrls
Hmm.....I luckly know for a fact the Medium Badlands coat fits me very well. I tried the Latitude on and I didn't like the fit, and after wacking the holy shit out of my chest on some low braches, I loved the chest armor built in on the Badlands. Good for Klim moving ahead with a possible womens line. I'm used to modifying my mens clothes as womens moto and construction gear never fit me well or gave me proper movement.