Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #256
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I use the KLIM suspenders.. there are loops specifically for suspenders on the front and the back for them. No metal clips involved.

I thought the back loop was for hanging the pants up.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #257
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
I rarely attach the jacket, and highly recommend the suspenders if you're not zipped together. Especially when you're off the bike, the weight of the pants makes them fall down pretty quickly. I bought the "deluxe" suspenders from Klim. Nice metal adjusters, and removable high-tension clips for use with my other riding pants. As someone already noted, the clips aren't needed with the Badlands because the leather straps go through the built-in loops on the pants.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #258
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,894
is the kidney belt supportive enough that it might replace a standard one? I have lower back issues and am always so much more comfortable wearing one. Too much of a pita for the most part though. If it was integral, I'd use it always.

Thanks
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #259
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
is the kidney belt supportive enough that it might replace a standard one? I have lower back issues and am always so much more comfortable wearing one. Too much of a pita for the most part though. If it was integral, I'd use it always.

Thanks
Yes.
It's a good quality one with the side adjustments built-in
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #260
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I suppose it depends on how bad a lower back problem is or what the nature of it is. I tried the kidney belt of an Adventure jacket in the shop yesterday when I was sizing out a Badlands Jacket (they didn't have a Badlands in my size in stock). It felt much like the belt on my compression suit, which does provide fairly good support for me. I expect a kidney/lower-back support belt designed only for that purpose would probably provide better support. However, if you're not wearing one because of the inconvenience, then the jacket would probably be better than nothing. I find the one on my compression suit does help and it's one of the reasons I'm buying the Badlands.

The only thing I find with my compression suit support belt is that the large front velcro area bunches up when sitting on the bike after a while. Still, it seems to work though. After a couple of minutes, I hardly notice it on, but definitely notice the difference when I take it off. So I expect it is applying enough support to make a difference for me.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 04:44 PM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #261
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post
I expect a kidney/lower-back support belt designed only for that purpose would probably provide better support. However, if you're not wearing one because of the inconvenience, then the jacket would probably be better than nothing.
This is exactly right. The Badlands kidney belt is GREAT for getting the weight of the jacket off your shoulders, and it provides some back support. But it isn't particularly stiff and is not as supportive as a stand-alone kidney belt IMO. That said, I love my Badlands jacket and I use the kidney belt always. It's all-day comfortable.

Quote:
The only thing I find with my compression suit support belt is that the large front velcro area bunches up when sitting on the bike after a while.
I haven't found this to be a problem on the Badlands because the belt is up high enough. I have a bit of a gut, but I could see how someone with a bigger belly might have issues with the belt slipping down under the gut and bunching up.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #262
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibzzz View Post
I haven't found this to be a problem on the Badlands because the belt is up high enough. I have a bit of a gut, but I could see how someone with a bigger belly might have issues with the belt slipping down under the gut and bunching up.
Hey, . . . wait a minute! . . . What are you trying to suggest here? !!!

Yeah, okay, I do suffer a bit from "lower-torso gradual thermal expansion syndrome". But, that's about to change dramatically due to . . . you guessed it . . . the Klim Badlands suit! It's remarkable! Not only can it protect you from the elements and impact, but it can help you lose weight!

The medium jacket is too small due to my "condition" and the XL is much too big in other areas like arms and body length. So although it will be snug at first, I'm getting a L and will just take out the chest padding for a while. But that's not the real weight reduction incentive here . . . normally I take a 38" waist, but at 5' 8", the pants are too long and too baggy to work as a standalone pant. So, I'm going for the 36" and they just won't fit me for a while. Nothing like spending $700 on a pair of pants that you can't wear to until you get back down to a more reasonable size as incentive! Truth be told, I was working on this anyway, just not at the pace I am now to be able to fit into this expensive riding gear. Excuse me . . . gotta get back to it. (literally)

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 07:46 AM
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #263
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Quote:
Hey, . . . wait a minute! . . . What are you trying to suggest here? !!!
Sorry, V-Stormer! I was implying no such thing! Sorry to hear you suffer from LTGTES. But I can't think of a better incentive to beat your "disorder" than getting into your new Badlands suit! Think of it as the middle-aged biker's version of slimming down for bikini season!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #264
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Anyone remove the kidney belt and install a better one?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #265
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibzzz View Post
Sorry, V-Stormer! I was implying no such thing! Sorry to hear you suffer from LTGTES. But I can't think of a better incentive to beat your "disorder" than getting into your new Badlands suit! Think of it as the middle-aged biker's version of slimming down for bikini season!
No worries. . . was just having some fun at my own expense. I didn't take it that way.

Kibitzing aside, my key point here for anyone interested in buying the Badlands stuff is that sizing is something that's good to check out by trying the stuff on. I find the Badlands sizing is based mostly around normal sizing for height and weight with not a lot of flexibility if you're on the heavier side and of average height. It's a lot of money to spend that you won't want to do twice.

But I'm quite glad for the incentive to work harder at getting back to a healthier physical state. I find the more off-road dual-sport riding I do, the more I realize how important it is to be strong, flexible and fit . . . and the challenge of off-road riding contributes the same in return for overall better health, both physical and mental. It's a win-win.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 06:24 AM
Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #266
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
I don't see suspenders listed on the Klim website, where did you buy the suspenders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I use the KLIM suspenders.. there are loops specifically for suspenders on the front and the back for them. No metal clips involved.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #267
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
I don't see suspenders listed on the Klim website, where did you buy the suspenders?
Um... I bought them from KLIM?? Deluxe and non deluxe models available.. the deluxe comes with removable metal clips..so you can use them with pants w/o the suspender loops. Google is your friend

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/;max=16;page=11/4069-000

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/...ducts/5049-000
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #268
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Well . . . picked up the Badlands set today in a L jacket and 36" pants. The gear is heavier than I expected, but obviously a quality build. I think a lot of the heaviness comes from the d3o armour . . . it's softer and more flexible (when warm), but it's heavier than foam, especially that fairly large back pad.

Definitely see what people are saying about the overall stiffness, lack of collar adjustment (and its edge abrasiveness), smallish arm tubes (very tight with a full heated liner), the non-removable sleeve cuffs that get in the way more than are useful, and the totally overboard logo-mania! (Sheesh! Tone it down guys!!!) Also see what people mean about the minimal coverage of some of the pads, like the shoulders and knees. But the back pad is quite large, so I'll give them coverage credit there.

Overall stiffness is excacerbated if it's a snug fit, but I expect things to get better over time as it wears (and I wear down). I don't like the lack of collar adjustment and the height of it. Maybe better with off-road style helmets, but with my Schuberth C3, it grinds along the bottom of the wind guard on the bottom of the helmet and gets in the way when I shoulder check. Irritating. Also can't figure out why the zipper covers all face center on the open side; they should be like the ones on the pants that allow the wind to go over them, rather than catch in them.

I miss belt loops on the pants and a cinch belt on the jacket where I can hang my heated gear controller. Belt loops on the pants would be great for around camp when you need to hang stuff off your belt.

Overall though, I'm pleased with the Badlands jacket and pants and wait expectantly to see if they are truly waterproof. I'll report back shortly on that as we never go more than a few days without rain at this time of year. The big aspects and features they got right, but there is still room for tweaking the design for better comfort and convenience. I hope Klim is reading these forums to get some ideas on how to improve the next update on this suit.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 08:21 AM
Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #269
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
Anyone remove the kidney belt and install a better one?
Having just removed my lower back support belt from the jacket for winter commuting, I can see that there is a possibility of adding a different belt with more support, but you might be limited as to the height of where the belt flaps can be placed on your body and possibly the size of the flaps as well to get them through the large loops on the jacket front. If replacing with a more orotho-belt is a major consideration for you, I suggest you check a jacket out in person before buying one. I suppose it's possible to have something custom-made by a professional that deals with lower back support belts without affecting the warranty as long as you're not altering the jacket at all. You could give them the belt from the jacket as a model to work from or better yet, both with firm instructions not to alter the jacket in any way . (otherwise you'd probably void the warranty)

At the back, the belt fastens between a section of the liner and the back of the jacket with velcro to help keep it centered, and also probably allows for a slight bit of up and down adjustment. So by adding the appropriate velcro to a different belt, it should remain afixed in the same manner.

If you really want the jacket for all the other reasons and the kidney belt would just be a bonus, (but not a deal breaker), then you might want to buy the jacket and try out the belt that comes with it for a while. It does provide medium kind of support from what I can tell. Then if you need more support, start looking at getting something custom made or try altering something that exists to fit.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 08:17 AM
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #270
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Well . . . picked up the Badlands set today........,,

. The big aspects and features they got right, but there is still room for tweaking the design for better comfort and convenience. I hope Klim is reading these forums to get some ideas on how to improve the next update on this suit.

You can send an E-mail directly to Klim's product development department with your feedback and suggestions for future changes/improvements to their products.

Under department, use the drag down menu and select product development.

http://www.klim.com/en-us/contact

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote