Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #271
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post
Well . . . picked up the Badlands set today in a L jacket and 36" pants. The gear is heavier than I expected, but obviously a quality build. I think a lot of the heaviness comes from the d3o armour . . . it's softer and more flexible (when warm), but it's heavier than foam, especially that fairly large back pad.

Definitely see what people are saying about the overall stiffness, lack of collar adjustment (and its edge abrasiveness), smallish arm tubes (very tight with a full heated liner), the non-removable sleeve cuffs that get in the way more than are useful, and the totally overboard logo-mania! (Sheesh! Tone it down guys!!!) Also see what people mean about the minimal coverage of some of the pads, like the shoulders and knees. But the back pad is quite large, so I'll give them coverage credit there.

Overall stiffness is excacerbated if it's a snug fit, but I expect things to get better over time as it wears (and I wear down). I don't like the lack of collar adjustment and the height of it. Maybe better with off-road style helmets, but with my Schuberth C3, it grinds along the bottom of the wind guard on the bottom of the helmet and gets in the way when I shoulder check. Irritating. Also can't figure out why the zipper covers all face center on the open side; they should be like the ones on the pants that allow the wind to go over them, rather than catch in them.

I miss belt loops on the pants and a cinch belt on the jacket where I can hang my heated gear controller. Belt loops on the pants would be great for around camp when you need to hang stuff off your belt.

Overall though, I'm pleased with the Badlands jacket and pants and wait expectantly to see if they are truly waterproof. I'll report back shortly on that as we never go more than a few days without rain at this time of year. The big aspects and features they got right, but there is still room for tweaking the design for better comfort and convenience. I hope Klim is reading these forums to get some ideas on how to improve the next update on this suit.
V-Stormer, I'm considering buying the Badlands, also. I'm 6'3", 210 pounds, 44-inch chest, 36-inch waist, so I fall between the Large and XL in Klim sizing. If you don't mind, what are your measurements? And that, I can safely say, is the first time I've ever asked a guy about his measurements.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #272
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
V-Stormer, I'm considering buying the Badlands, also. I'm 6' 3", 210 pounds, 44-inch chest, 36-inch waist, so I fall between the Large and XL in Klim sizing. If you don't mind, what are your measurements? And that, I can safely say, is the first time I've ever asked a guy about his measurements.
Better yet, check out the video on Revzilla for the Badlands suit. The guy in the video is near your size and is a closer comparison. I think he's wearing a L jacket and 36" pant. He's 6' 5", 200 lbs. and usually wears a 34" pant. I doubt a difference of 10 lbs on a 6' 3" frame is going to affect things dramatically.

But you really should try the stuff on if you can. If you like it roomier for layering, then you might want the XL jacket, or the 38" pant if you want them as overpants. Or you might find the jacket sleeve length on the L too short, or the 36" pants too baggy. It's all very subjective.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 09:15 AM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #273
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
You can send an E-mail directly to Klim's product development department with your feedback and suggestions for future changes/improvements to their products.
Under department, use the drag down menu and select product development.
http://www.klim.com/en-us/contact
I'll give that a shot after I've had some more time to experience and experiment with it. Naturally, anything new and not as familiar as what you've been wearing for a while is going to seem awkard at first. But maybe some things become not as much of an issue later on.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 09:25 AM
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #274
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Better yet, check out the video on Revzilla for the Badlands suit. The guy in the video is near your size and is a closer comparison. I think he's wearing a L jacket and 36" pant. He's 6' 5", 200 lbs. and usually wears a 34" pant. I doubt a difference of 10 lbs on a 6' 3" frame is going to affect things dramatically.

But you really should try the stuff on if you can. If you like it roomier for layering, then you might want the XL jacket, or the 38" pant if you want them as overpants. Or you might find the jacket sleeve length on the L too short, or the 36" pants too baggy. It's all very subjective.
Sad to say, I'm 500 miles from the nearest store with a Klim Badlands jacket, so that's a long round-trip just to try on a jacket.

Subjectiveness sucks when you can't try on the apparel. I guess I'm taking my chances.

I've watched that video a couple times and will probably go for the XL since I like a baggier fit and I have long arms.

I appreciate your reply.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #275
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Sad to say, I'm 500 miles from the nearest store with a Klim Badlands jacket, so that's a long round-trip just to try on a jacket.
Subjectiveness sucks when you can't try on the apparel. I guess I'm taking my chances.
I've watched that video a couple times and will probably go for the XL since I like a baggier fit and I have long arms.
I appreciate your reply.
I think you would do well either way. But I find the arm tubes to be kind of small. My arms are not likely to go down in size even with my efforts to get in better shape and I find that a Gerbings heated full size liner underneath to be a snug fit in the arms in the Large. That Gerbings jacket is about equivalent to two thin layers. So going for the XL would be better for layering underneath for sure. It just looked too big overall for my short height and the length of arns and body was too long for me. On a taller person with longer arms it will be a good size for layering. I guess you just have to be prepared to ship it back in exchange if you don't think it's the right size after you get a chance to try it.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #276
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
I think you would do well either way. But I find the arm tubes to be kind of small. My arms are not likely to go down in size even with my efforts to get in better shape and I find that a Gerbings heated full size liner underneath to be a snug fit in the arms in the Large. That Gerbings jacket is about equivalent to two thin layers. So going for the XL would be better for layering underneath for sure. It just looked too big overall for my short height and the length of arns and body was too long for me. On a taller person with longer arms it will be a good size for layering. I guess you just have to be prepared to ship it back in exchange if you don't think it's the right size after you get a chance to try it.
I think you're exactly right. And I don't mind shipping it back for an exchange, it's just a hassle. But in the big scheme of things, it's not a big hassle to get the right jacket.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #277
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,745
Mr.Gone,
FWIW,I'm 5'8"-170lbs large frame and a large fits me.
I don't think a medium would fit,although I haven't tried one.
The pants are 32" and fit me well,but I don't wear anything but skivvies and lightweight long johns under them.
You should be fine in a XL coat.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #278
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Mr.Gone,
FWIW,I'm 5'8"-170lbs large frame and a large fits me.
I don't think a medium would fit,although I haven't tried one.
The pants are 32" and fit me well,but I don't wear anything but skivvies and lightweight long johns under them.
You should be fine in a XL coat.
That does help quite a bit, actually. I think a large would be a little too tight. I appreciate the advice.

Now if I can just get my car to quit sucking up my money, I'd have this jacket before Christmas.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #279
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I'm 6'2", 205lbs. Size 46 long. Bought the 36L pant and they are pretty perfect. I haven't picked up the jacket yet, but if I recall, I was leaning toward the large. I almost never fit in a large, but I remember the sleeves being plenty long.
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #280
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Now if I can just get my car to quit sucking up my money, I'd have this jacket before Christmas.
For me, the money pit was my cat . . . I thought this suit was a lot of money until I had to pay out $1,300 to have a canine tooth removed from my cat, on top of the original vet visits. Suddenly the jacket and pants seemed like a good deal. Went for it anyway . . . it's only money after all.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #281
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

The REALLY frustrating thing is that I only drive my car about 500 miles a year, so it just sits and sits and sits... and sits. Then when I need it, the starter goes out. Goodbye $300 bucks!!! Oh well, it's only money.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #282
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,745
I bought my suit for our trip out west.
Then during that trip my KTM's rocker bearings failed,costing me another $1500.
Oh well it's only money.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #283
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

We should start a thread called "Oh well, it's only money" and then post our worst buying decisions.

I'll start: every ex-girlfriend I've ever had.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #284
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
We should start a thread called "Oh well, it's only money" and then post our worst buying decisions.

I'll start: every ex-girlfriend I've ever had.
I think a thread like that would break all records for posts! Would likely require an entire web site!

First report back from a wet ride with the Badlands. . . 60 minutes in light rain and moderate road wash @ 95 kph. . . and I'm dry as a bone. Nice feeling.

(More reports on the way as the monsoons ensue . . .)
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #285
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
I think a thread like that would break all records for posts! Would likely require an entire web site!

First report back from a wet ride with the Badlands. . . 60 minutes in light rain and moderate road wash @ 95 kph. . . and I'm dry as a bone. Nice feeling.

(More reports on the way as the monsoons ensue . . .)
Keep the reports coming!