Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #406
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Certainly right. It might sound that way though it was not meant for the owners, more for the gear. But believe me - I'm not anorexic at all. I'm very fit and have naturally very slim hips - can be a challenge to find any clothes. From my perspective everybody who fits properly into the Badlands must be wide and short. Btw. I said wide, not fat - that came from you and it seems you must know!

I wanted the stuff to fit but it seems I have to get European "metrosexual" gear instead of of the baggy clothes from and for corn fed Americans ...
I'm going to respectfully disagree on the sizing of the Badlands. I'm 6'3" and 210 pounds with a 45" chest... so tall and thin with very broad shoulders, and I find the Badlands fits me pretty well. If anything, it's too tight in the shoulders.

Clothing fit and sizing is really subjective. It's why there are dozens of motorcycle clothing manufacturers. To each his own. As long as you find something you're happy with, ride on!

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #407
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 440
Fellow Advriders,
One thing I haven't got enough information on wearing the Badlands in hot weather. At least I still have questions? Anyone used the Badlands in touring in hot and dry summer fall conditions?

My question is, will the Badlands vent enough in say 85 + degrees F for a tour in the dry west USA in summer and fall.
Thanks KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #408
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Fellow Advriders,
One thing I haven't got enough information on wearing the Badlands in hot weather. At least I still have questions? Anyone used the Badlands in touring in hot and dry summer fall conditions?

My question is, will the Badlands vent enough in say 85 + degrees F for a tour in the dry west USA in summer and fall.
Thanks KJ
I wish I could answer that for you. I purchased mine in December and so far haven't needed to have the vents open. But it's mid-January, so winter is almost over here in Arkansas. I'd say by March, we'll have some 85 temps.

I don't know if you want to hold out that long, but I'll post a report when I need to test the venting.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #409
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Fellow Advriders,

Thanks KJ
The jacket itself vents pretty well but at 85+ it will get hot. For a tour I wouldn't hesitate to take this jacket but when I ride for the day I wear a full mesh jacket anytime it is 75 or higher. I don't like getting hot. Your choice of motorcycle and air getting to the rider will have a tremendous impact on the temperature range of this jacket.

The Badlands draws a lot of air from the sleeve vents and does billow the jacket a bit before exiting out the rear. There is not any real venting on the chest other than opening the collar which actually does a decent job. The challenge for any jacket is how much air is getting to the rider and how can they utilize this to the provide the best ventilation possible.

Overall, I would say the Badlands does a very good job with ventilation for a heavy, highly protective, armored jacket.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #410
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Fellow Advriders,

Thanks KJ
Avoid anything with a gortex or any other breathable outer shell for hot weather. I have a badlands jacket and love it for the fact it makes me feel invincible, but for high temps I wish I had gone with something made from AFT cordura.
This only applies to temps below body temps of course. Above 97oF you get into the whole venting vs insulation debate
Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #411
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
heat

I have worn a Badlands for more than a year. I live in dry AZ, but cold country. I hate heat. I want a jacket
to work its venting. It does and at least to 90F. I haven't seen above that. But have been quite comfortable.
And sometimes have to close vents as I get too cool. It works for me.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #412
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree on the sizing of the Badlands. I'm 6'3" and 210 pounds with a 45" chest... so tall and thin with very broad shoulders, and I find the Badlands fits me pretty well. If anything, it's too tight in the shoulders.
The size M actually isn't too bad for me - if it weren't for the way too tight shoulders. So, you're actually not disagreeing here, you probably have the same fit "issue" I have, just not as pronounced - if it fits perfect in the chest it's too tight in the shoulders, not even talking about waist where not many people are as extreme as I am (41 chest, 30 waist).
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #413
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Fellow Advriders,

Thanks KJ
I bought mine in October and have used it quite a bit in 90 degree days. I actually think it keeps me cooler than my Rallye 3 jacket because of all the vents. Those pit zips are HUGE. Also as mentioned, what bike you ride will make a difference. My GSA has almost no airflow behind the tank and windshield, but someone with a small windshield might get more air flowing up the sleeves and pit zips. I pretty much always have the collar velcroed open and that helps a lot. I have a mesh jacket for running errands around town in the summer, but I'll still wear it on any ride longer than an hour. If you wear LD Comfort under the jacket and pants, you'll be a lot cooler since it keeps your skin dry. I wore mine under my Rallye 3 jacket and Klim Traverse pants all last summer when temps were 115F.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #414
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
I have worn a Badlands for more than a year. I live in dry AZ, but cold country. I hate heat. I want a jacket
to work its venting. It does and at least to 90F. I haven't seen above that. But have been quite comfortable.
And sometimes have to close vents as I get too cool. It works for me.
Allen.
You have a point about the jacket in low humidity. My discomfort has only been when it gets above 75% and I guess the original question was concerning dry heat conditions. It's been fine for me too when the air is dry
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #415
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,557
I went for a short ride today in 25 degree weather to see how this stuff works. Wearing an Under Armour cold base layer with some Duofold long johns my legs were reasonably warm for an hour ride. Up top I had the UA base with a thin Patagonia knit pullover. That combination didn't work quite as well, but it wasn't bad. A heavy fleece would have been better, a heated jacket liner best.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #416
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The size M actually isn't too bad for me - if it weren't for the way too tight shoulders. So, you're actually not disagreeing here, you probably have the same fit "issue" I have, just not as pronounced - if it fits perfect in the chest it's too tight in the shoulders, not even talking about waist where not many people are as extreme as I am (41 chest, 30 waist).
41" chest, 31" waist, 5' 9" tall, 185lbs - and medium fits perfect:

I'd recommend sitting/standing on a bike, as that is where you need it to fit.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #417
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Ha, MAV . . . love the "Klim promo shot" . . . the bike is covered in crap but the suit looks like it just came off the rack . . . . . . not sure how that was managed, but it's a cool photo!

Good point about how the jacket fits and feels different on the bike than it does off it. Also, I find with the kidney belt in use, the jacket rides a bit higher with the weight being carried and feels a little roomier in the shoulder area. The shoulder pads do feel a bit stiff at first, but as soon as they warm up, they soften up. So your point of judging the suit only on how it feels when new in the store is true . . . it's not necessarily a good representation of how it feels in use. However, it's hard to drop those dinero's hoping it might feel better down the road, so I would understand someone's hesitation. Klim says they have a "must be satisfied" guarantee, but I've yet to hear of someone returning one and getting their money back because it didn't feel comfortable.

I look at it a bit like a seat on a new bike . . . half of it is the seat needing time to break in, the other half is me just becoming more of a hard-ass and getting used to the feel. Eventually they somehow find a natural balance.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 06:26 AM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #418
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post
Ha, MAV . . . love the "Klim promo shot" . . . the bike is covered in crap but the suit looks like it just came off the rack . . . . . . not sure how that was managed, but it's a cool photo!
The bike was dirty before we started... never been very good at cleaning my bike

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #419
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
We have obviously very different shoulders then. I can't let my arms hang down in the M Badlands, shoulders are just too tight. Riding position is kind of okay, but the arms are too short as part of shoulders get covered by the upper arm of the jacket.

Another issue I had is that the neck was so wide that it would be pretty much impossible to block rain and cold air out of it. It's plain made for people with different shape.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #420
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 939
The only poor fitment on my Badlands jacket is the too-short velcro forearm straps. If I'm wearing a light jacket as a base, I can barely get these to lock, and I'm no Popeye. Other than that, I think it's pretty well proportioned.
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote