Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #556
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 567
Is Klim replacing any of this broken armor?

I would think that if everyone that spent the big bucks (like I am thinking of) would ask for new pads every time they broke from the cold it would get awful old over at Klim central.

Yamaha TDR250

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #557
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
No conspiracy here!

Geez you guys are a jumpy crowd.

I just figured it was a topic that was of interest to Badlands owners and did a lazy cut and paste, that is all.

The additional rip off is that, as snbrd4evr noticed, D3O does not make different pads for your knees and your elbows, they stick the same pad in both places. That is why the knee pad is so small in the pants.

So far I'm very happy w/ my replacement armor. Stays flexible in the cold and provides a much greater coverage area, specially in the knees.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #558
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I guesss for six hundred dollars for a pair of pants, having to move and or replace the armor is a bit frustrating. Makes for an awful expensive GoreTex shell. And the hip armor is way forward on the 2013 models, almost out front.
I'm in email contact w/ Klim and am waiting on a resolution. As others have, said I spent more than I was comfortable to get this jacket & pants combo thinking I was getting superior protection and have been disappointed w/ the quality of the protection provided.

This is my cold weather riding kit and only use it in cooler weather. I'm hot blooded and this kit is too hot for me in anything above 60F. I have a completely different set-up for warm weather riding.

So if the armor they charge a premium price for is shit, then I just bought a super expensive Gore-tex shell. Additionally, at this point my confidence in the ability of the D3O armor to protect me even in a minor incident has been compromised.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #559
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post

I would think that if everyone that spent the big bucks (like I am thinking of) would ask for new pads every time they broke from the cold it would get awful old over at Klim central.
Seems they should be able to pass it on to D30
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #560
snbrd4evr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
No conspiracy here!

I just figured it was a topic that was of interest to Badlands owners and did a lazy cut and paste, that is all.

The additional rip off is that, as snbrd4evr noticed, D3O does not make different pads for your knees and your elbows, they stick the same pad in both places. That is why the knee pad is so small in the pants.

So far I'm very happy w/ my replacement armor. Stays flexible in the cold and provides a much greater coverage area, specially in the knees.
I was wondering if that's what they did. Luckily I searched and found some conflicting answers, so I threw in the disclaimer :)

I'll probably upgrade the armor in my gear as time goes on, especially if it somewhat fails me riding in the Minnesota winters.
snbrd4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #561
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
I'm in email contact w/ Klim and am waiting on a resolution. As others have, said I spent more than I was comfortable to get this jacket & pants combo thinking I was getting superior protection and have been disappointed w/ the quality of the protection provided.

This is my cold weather riding kit and only use it in cooler weather. I'm hot blooded and this kit is too hot for me in anything above 60F. I have a completely different set-up for warm weather riding.

So if the armor they charge a premium price for is shit, then I just bought a super expensive Gore-tex shell. Additionally, at this point my confidence in the ability of the D3O armor to protect me even in a minor incident has been compromised.
I've been debating spending the coin (which is honestly much more than I had originally planned on spending) on either a Latitude or Badlands jacket. I ride year round in northeast PA down into teens and single digits. If the armor turns rock hard in cold weather, that's simply unacceptable for me. Sigh.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #562
tbsingleton73
The Drunken Crow

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
No conspiracy here!

I just checked my elbow and knee pads in the jacket and pants. While the are the same size and basic shape, they are different. The elbow pad actually seems thicker and has deeper groves, I assume to aid in flexing. The knee pad is also labelled as such and the elbow is not labelled as elbow. You would think the knee armor should be bigger.

As for the other comments, I've been riding over the last month in 0-7C (32-45F) temps and have not had an issue with the armor being stiff with the cold, compared to inside wearing the jacket.

My only complaint is sometimes the Velcro in the pads pocket will undo and the pad will shift position.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #563
snaert
visit www.rvsz.ch

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsingleton73 View Post
I just checked my elbow and knee pads in the jacket and pants. While the are the same size and basic shape, they are different. The elbow pad actually seems thicker and has deeper groves, I assume to aid in flexing. The knee pad is also labelled as such and the elbow is not labelled as elbow. You would think the knee armor should be bigger.

As for the other comments, I've been riding over the last month in 0-7C (32-45F) temps and have not had an issue with the armor being stiff with the cold, compared to inside wearing the jacket.

My only complaint is sometimes the Velcro in the pads pocket will undo and the pad will shift position.
I have had 3 different sets of Klim Badlands jackets and pants since the fisrt and second ones were leaking. Klim did do a brilliant job and modified the third jacket then wihch stopped the leaking problem. On the first and second sets I had in both knee and ellbow the same D3O marked with "knee". In my third set however I have another D3O:

Also in the third set the same protector in pants and jacket. Seems like Klim has changed the used D3O model...

Follow us on our trip around the world:
www.rvsz.ch
snaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #564
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaert View Post
I have had 3 different sets of Klim Badlands jackets and pants since the fisrt and second ones were leaking. Klim did do a brilliant job and modified the third jacket then wihch stopped the leaking problem.

Also in the third set the same protector in pants and jacket. Seems like Klim has changed the used D3O model...

Follow us on our trip around the world:
www.rvsz.ch
Do you have any details regarding how they stopped the leaking?
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #565
snaert
visit www.rvsz.ch

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
Do you have any details regarding how they stopped the leaking?
The problem were the upper vents on the sleeves. They added a flap to prevent rain getting in direct contact with the "water resistant" zipper. Now it is absolutely waterproof in my case as well for my riding buddy who had exactely the same problem.
You can read the whole story with illustrating images on our webpage under http://www.rvsz.ch/?page_id=59 (It's in german though)
Here one image of the modification:

www.rvsz.ch

snaert screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 12:08 AM
snaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #566
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
No conspiracy here!

HAHAHA

Quote:

one of my knee armor pieces (or elbow I suppose) is torn at one of the edges. I haven't asked Klim about a replacement yet.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #567
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 318
I did my first ride in the Badlands Pro this weekend. First impressions are this suit is heavier and hotter than my old BMW R2P. It also feels harder/crunchier which I suspect is the Goretex material. The temps we rode in were 40F to 93F and the suit felt very hot over 80F and that's with all of the vents open. I might be selling this thing soon, will probably look for something lighter and cooler. I have no doubt this suit will protect me in a hard crash, but I don't want to ride in the Western states all summer in something this hot and heavy.

Does anyone know when the Klim Adventure Air suit will be released?
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #568
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkryder View Post
i did my first ride in the badlands pro this weekend. First impressions are this suit is heavier and hotter than my old bmw r2p. It also feels harder/crunchier which i suspect is the goretex material. The temps we rode in were 40f to 93f and the suit felt very hot over 80f and that's with all of the vents open. I might be selling this thing soon, will probably look for something lighter and cooler. I have no doubt this suit will protect me in a hard crash, but i don't want to ride in the western states all summer in something this hot and heavy.

Does anyone know when the klim adventure air suit will be released?
bastimentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #569
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
Dang, I've been waiting impatiently for their vented Adventure Air jacket. I got to check out one of their prototypes up close last August, but I didn't think I'd be able to make it out of the back room, past the front desk, and through the parking lot in time to call it my own.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #570
snbrd4evr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Had my first nasty weather experience with my jacket and pants. I had to go pick up my bike from service and had the choice to do it either yesterday or a week from today and I choose yesterday. The day started out at 50 degrees and sunny, then on the way to the shop it changed to 38 and rain/sleet.

The ride home was just fine. And we're talking an hour and a half ride, rain 50% of the ride, and temps below 40. My only problem I had wasn't with the jacket or pants but was with my gloves. I wore my snowboarding gloves, but they're so bulky they cut off circulation and made my hands colder than not having that insulation.

Soooo... Cliff Notes: under 40, rain/sleet, 1.5 hour ride = happy rider
snbrd4evr is offline   Reply With Quote