Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #571
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
So, I've been seriously contemplating this jacket for some time now. I'm 6'0" 215lbs. 45" chest, 37" waist, not sure of my sleeve length, but my arms are long for my height. I can't try one on locally. It seems as though I'm between a L and XL size, but I hear these run a bit big. Could some of you guys comment on the sizing... Particularly anyone who is around my size.

I plan to wear this year round, so I'll need a bit of extra room for layers in the winter.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #572
Sans Cage
Mousy traveller

Oddometer: 14
D3O comment

I have the Badlands Pro pants only, I do want the jacket but I must say that I am not a fan of D3O. I ride year round and in the winter the D3O goes completely stiff and feels like a steel plate against me. Makes my knees not want to bend at all (hurts like hell).
I also use the Klim Tactical Short and do not understand why they did not use the PorornXRD in those as their standard armour. Seems like a far better product to me.
I had a high-side in Feb and my hips were totally fine, unlike some other parts of me "protected" by D3O and SAS-TEC.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #573
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,674
Mine are up for sale. I just like the Traverse so much better, fit-wise.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #574
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
So, I've been seriously contemplating this jacket for some time now. I'm 6'0" 215lbs. 45" chest, 37" waist, not sure of my sleeve length, but my arms are long for my height. I can't try one on locally. It seems as though I'm between a L and XL size, but I hear these run a bit big. Could some of you guys comment on the sizing... Particularly anyone who is around my size.

I plan to wear this year round, so I'll need a bit of extra room for layers in the winter.
I have the Adventure Rally jacket and pants, plus I have another Klim zippered/hoody sweatshirt and with both the jackets I find the sleeves are VERY long (too long for me). I've talked with one the Klim designers and he even admitted the tend to size their gear with longer sleeves. So you're probably going to find this to be a great product for your longer arms.

The Adventure suit does run big (especially the jacket). I am only 5' 10" but I have long torso and a 49" chest/36" waist. My typical t-shirt or dress shirt size is XXL. As such, I got a XXL size jacket. Because of their over-size cut, I could have probably been okay with an XL size.

Hopefully this may give you some idea of how they're sized. If you're buying on line, find a shop that won't kill you in return fees if the size you pick needs to be exchanged for a different size.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #575
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
I have the Adventure Rally jacket and pants, plus I have another Klim zippered/hoody sweatshirt and with both the jackets I find the sleeves are VERY long (too long for me). I've talked with one the Klim designers and he even admitted the tend to size their gear with longer sleeves. So you're probably going to find this to be a great product for your longer arms.

The Adventure suit does run big (especially the jacket). I am only 5' 10" but I have long torso and a 49" chest/36" waist. My typical t-shirt or dress shirt size is XXL. As such, I got a XXL size jacket. Because of their over-size cut, I could have probably been okay with an XL size.

Hopefully this may give you some idea of how they're sized. If you're buying on line, find a shop that won't kill you in return fees if the size you pick needs to be exchanged for a different size.
Thanks for the sizing insight. I'm actually looking at a vendor on Ebay selling new jackets for $720/shipped. I'm sure I'll get bent over backwards for returns... But for that price, I honestly couldn't expect too much. It looks like the large size will probably be my best bet. I think I'll pull the trigger soon... But the armor in the cold has me second-guessing this jacket... Decisions, decisions...

Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #576
max384
Disgruntled Student

Well, they sold the last large at $720 literally three minutes before I committed to purchase. I'm definitely wishing I didn't decide to watch the YouTube review videos one last time before making the purchase. Sigh.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #577
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:

I wouldn't say they run big. They seem normal to me. I'm large in jackets and shirts and the large fits just barely with an electric liner under it. With your dimensions, I would certainly buy an XL. I doubt the large would fit. I'm 5'10" 200lbs, 38" waist with a 43" chest and if I gain anymore weight, I'll be looking at a XL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #578
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Cage View Post
I have the Badlands Pro pants only, I do want the jacket but I must say that I am not a fan of D3O. I ride year round and in the winter the D3O goes completely stiff and feels like a steel plate against me. Makes my knees not want to bend at all (hurts like hell).
I also use the Klim Tactical Short and do not understand why they did not use the PorornXRD in those as their standard armour. Seems like a far better product to me.
I had a high-side in Feb and my hips were totally fine, unlike some other parts of me "protected" by D3O and SAS-TEC.
I don't understand do the Klim Tactical Shorts use PoronXRD? or are you just wishing they would use PoronXRD? I really wish claim their materials better on there website etc.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #579
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

The large will be too small. I'm 44-45 chest and the large fits great with nothing under the jacket but a thin shirt. Any layers and it pulls tight in my arm pits.
2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #580
GillT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
The large will be too small. I'm 44-45 chest and the large fits great with nothing under the jacket but a thin shirt. Any layers and it pulls tight in my arm pits.
When I sized the badlands the sizing just would not work for me. Like Ducatirdr said the large will be too small, but I believe the XL will be toooo big then. I'm 6' 45" chest 34-36" waist, the large fit okay with a Tshirt, with a thicker layer it was too tight and I could hardly move. However trying on the XL it was huuuge, with the Tshirt I was swimming in it and with the heavier layer it was still a bit too loose.

I probably didn't help your decision much, but just wanted to throw my experience in.
GillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #581
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,781
Quote:

Definitely go with the XL. I am 6;3" and 210 lbs, with a 36" waist, 44" chest, so we're similar in size in that I'm only a couple inches taller, and the XL is tight if I wear a couple thick layers during the winter. I fell between sizes, too, according to the Klim chart. Definitely go with the XL.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #582
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Thanks for the sizing insight. I'm actually looking at a vendor on Ebay selling new jackets for $720/shipped. I'm sure I'll get bent over backwards for returns... But for that price, I honestly couldn't expect too much. It looks like the large size will probably be my best bet. I think I'll pull the trigger soon... But the armor in the cold has me second-guessing this jacket... Decisions, decisions...
I know a lot of guys have problems with the D3O armor in cold weather, but personally I haven't had a problem. Even in the 20s, my armor stayed fairly flexible. And if I remember correctly, D3O armor was first used during the winter Olympics, so presumably it works at least fairly well in cold weather. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #583
max384
Disgruntled Student

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'll just have to wait and make the trip to Philly to try them on at Revzilla.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #584
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'll just have to wait and make the trip to Philly to try them on at Revzilla.
That's what you were really looking for, wasn't it? An excuse to make a road trip to Revzilla.

Glad we could be of service!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #585
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

I rode three hours in the rain yesterday. The Badlands jacket kept me dry. I was also wearing some Klim Traverse pants, which also kept me dry except for the bottom of my jeans, because I forgot to tuck them into my boots. I also forgot to tuck my gloves inside the jacket cuffs, so water eventually ran into my gloves. Lessons learned and mental reminders logged into the brain.

One of the jacket's exterior pockets did leak slightly, so I'll be keeping everything in the interior pockets in the rain. Zippers are never waterproof, unless you're using SCUBA zips, and I should have known better.

Anyway, other than those very minor things, the jacket kept me dry. Which is good to know since it's the rainy season here in the Ozarks.