Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #91
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Quick work with a sharpie and my Badlands jacket has just the back lower Klim logo and the two upper arm reflective logo's left. One can still see the others, but not nearly as prominent without the contrasting yellow.
And yes, this jacket puts the BMW stuff to shame. No more soggy outer layer!
Any pics of your handywork?
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #92
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Any pics of your handywork?
Here you go, with a flash as my trailer is dark. You can definately see them, but if you compare the ones I Sharpied to the yellow zipper on the sleeve, they were the same color basicly. Way better IMO.

* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #93
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105

Thanks. Yes I agree.

I was thinking of a think piece of material to cover them totally. Not sure what this would look like though.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #94
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Venting

It comes down to venting for me and ok, cost too. The Klim is looking good. Now if I can just find a set to try on...

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #95
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 609
Thumb Badlands ridden in, fallen in, enjoyed.

I had a nice desert ride in the Badlands suit last weekend. I really have no complaints. I'd probably be very upset with a suit this expensive if there was even the slightest thing getting in the way of the ride, but everything was great. Weather was 37*-50*. Beautiful, clear day with lot's of dirt, sand and highway. Insulation was good, but nothing that would be too warm with the vents open in the summer. Protection was amazing. I fell down/crashed 6 or 7 times in the sand and dirt at different speeds and it didn't even phase me. Looking back at the video, I'm kind of surprised actually.

The video is basically a ride report for our local forum so it's kind of long, but you can see the suit put to work by the skilled rider crashing in it.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #96
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
sweet

Cool vid...that reminds me of a few spills I took in Moab on the GS... So, how's the sizing for you? Did you find that the jacket and pants were true to size or running larger? I'm trying to find a set to get sized with here in the Sacramento area...but most of the dealers don't have a demo set, if you can imagine that!

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #97
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Cool vid...that reminds me of a few spills I took in Moab on the GS... So, how's the sizing for you? Did you find that the jacket and pants were true to size or running larger? I'm trying to find a set to get sized with here in the Sacramento area...but most of the dealers don't have a demo set, if you can imagine that!
You know, I've heard they're a little hard to find. Too bad you're not in SoCal.

If you take a look at the Klim size chart you'll notice that they have slightly different thresholds for their sizing than other brands, especially those that offer Euro sizing. For example, I'm 5'8", 170lbs, 34" waist, 31" inseam (I think) and I fit perfectly in the Medium jacket / 34" pants. I have a little wiggle room in the jacket like I prefer but not nearly as much as I had in my 48Euro Durban. My friend is 5'10", 210lbs, 34" waist, and the Medium Badlands is a little too snug but the Large is too loose and the arms are too long. He likes more of a sport fit since he's into sport/touring, so he tried on the Latitude in Medium and he really liked the cut compared to the Badlands. It seemed to be slightly more relaxed which allowed him to fill out a Medium and still have all the proportions work. I, on the other hand, liked the fit of the Badlands since I wouldn't fill out a roomier cut Medium jacket like he does.

The pants were right on for me in 34". Like, perfect.

So, is the sizing true to size? For me, yes, since I fit right in the Medium range (despite their height recommendations). I'm not sure how a Medium is 5'5"-5'6" and a Large is 5'6" to 6'4". I just went with the sizing I always wear and it worked out fine. If you end up doing mail order just find a place that will let you exchange without charging you to ship back and fourth. Here's the Klim size chart for reference...

MEASUREMENTS 4' 11" - 6' 9"
XSSMLXL2XL3XL4XL5XL
WEIGHT [LBS]70 - 104105 - 155156 - 186187 - 210211 - 230231 - 264264 - 299300 - 349350+
HEIGHT4''11" - 5' 2"5' 3" - 6"5' 5" - 6"5' 6" - 6' 4"5' 8" - 6' 4"5' 8" - 6' 9"5' 9" - 6' 9"5' 9" - 6' 9"5' 9" - 6' 9"
CHEST32 - 3435 - 3738 - 4142 - 4546 - 5051 - 5556 - 6061 - 6566 - 70
WAIST24 - 2728 - 3132 - 3536 - 3940 - 4344 - 4748 - 5152 - 5556 - 59
HIP & SEAT28 - 3132 - 3536 - 3940 - 4344 - 4748 - 5152 - 5556 - 5960 - 63
SLEEVE 24 - 2526 - 2728 - 2930 - 3233 - 3435 - 3637 - 3839 - 4041 - 42
INSEAM 293031323333333333
INSEAM TALL323334353636363636
INSEAM SHORT262728293030303030

Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #98
alohagirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Question

I was just about to order the Streetguard 3 when I saw this thread..... Hmmmmm..... Now I'm confused!
Could those "in the know" please contrast and compare the S3 with the badlands?
Looks like the badlands has better venting?

I had a Roadcrafter, but I didn't like how stiff it was. How does the stiffness/pliability compare with these two?
Folks on the latitude thread said it was stiff, so, I'm wondering if the badlands is stiff as well.....
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #99
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperGirl View Post
I was just about to order the Streetguard 3 when I saw this thread..... Hmmmmm..... Now I'm confused!
Could those "in the know" please contrast and compare the S3 with the badlands?
Looks like the badlands has better venting?

I had a Roadcrafter, but I didn't like how stiff it was. How does the stiffness/pliability compare with these two?
Folks on the latitude thread said it was stiff, so, I'm wondering if the badlands is stiff as well.....
It's stiff but it breaks in.

To compare the Badlands you really need to compare it to the BMW Rallye Pro 3 as it's what it's more tailored in somewhat the same vain. That being said, the Streetguard 3 isn't like the Rallye 3, two very different jackets. The Streetguard 3 is closer in common to the Latitude. Both will do a very good job but the Badlands and Rallye Pro 3 were designed for a bit more rugged use than simply street riding.

In regards to venting it's very subjective. All these will have their pluses and minuses. As I said before, the Badlands and Rallye 3 have more bulk due to their intended rugged nature thus could be a little warmer compared to the Streetguard. In reality they probably vent about the same but I would tend to lend the Streetgaurd with a bit of an advantage. The key word is "Street" in the street guard. It doesn't have a chest protector or a kidney belt which adds the feeling of bulk and can retain heat. Did I confuse you yet?

Pcfly screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 01:21 AM
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #100
alohagirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
It's stiff but it breaks in.

To compare the Badlands you really need to compare it to the BMW Rallye Pro 3 as it's what it's more tailored in somewhat the same vain. That being said, the Streetguard 3 isn't like the Rallye 3, two very different jackets. The Streetguard 3 is closer in common to the Latitude. Both will do a very good job but the Badlands and Rallye Pro 3 were designed for a bit more rugged use than simply street riding.

In regards to venting it's very subjective. All these will have their pluses and minuses. As I said before, the Badlands and Rallye 3 have more bulk due to their intended rugged nature thus could be a little warmer compared to the Streetguard. In reality they probably vent about the same but I would tend to lend the Streetgaurd with a bit of an advantage. The key word is "Street" in the street guard. It doesn't have a chest protector or a kidney belt which adds the feeling of bulk and can retain heat. Did I confuse you yet?
My natural state is semi-confused, so, you had me at "It's stiff but it breaks in."
Okay, I'll keep my daytime job, back to the jackets...

I'm glad you said that the badlands is like the RP3, and the latitude is more like the SG3.
I'll check out the latitude, which is on a different thread, so I'll just mosey on over there....
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #101
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
I have the Badlands and a myriad of others, Dariens, Savanna II's, Rally1, Kathmandu's, a Traverse, and was actually impressed with the breathability of it. I haven't used the 8 vents as it is cold here. But found out the Pro Gore- Tex is supposed to breathe better than previous coatings. It does, and almost to the degree of my Savanna without the liner. The quality of the product is amazing. Tho heavy, the internal kidney belt solidly helps that issue.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #102
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Just got a set of Badlands pants and jacket - quite simply put, this is the best made offroad riding gear I've ever owned.

For anyone in a comparison mood: I've been wearing a set of Rev-It adventure gear, I forget the name specifically, which has three layers: shell, goretex liner, thermal liner. In comparison the revit is nice for long road based rides with some offroad but the Klim gear is clearly far more dirt oriented and made of much better quality fabrics. The armor itself is more advanced as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #103
matt.the.ogre
Fair-minded Villian

Oddometer: 269
Quick reply to add to the SG3 (Streetguard 3) question:

I have the SG3 jacket and pants. I've been using them for cool weather commuting (SF Bay Area) and love them. Great wind protection, completely waterproof, great 3/4 zipper all around the waist (connecting jacket to pants) and warm enough with the liner in.

That said I have just bought the Badlands Pro and Latitude suits -- but won't receive them until Christmas. (Gifts from my wife and parents. ) I did try on both Klim suits and have some comparisons to make:

Even after a year and 3000+ miles my SG3 is barely broken in; it is still very stiff. And I think it will remain that way as a feature because it is just so darn protective. (Heavy material.)

I find the SG3 borderline uncomfortable above 70F. And even with the pit vents open (the only vents in the entire jacket + pants combo) it is uncomfortable above 80F. I wouldn't want to tour in it if the temperature were to remain above 75F for a few hours. That's my preference -- I tend to run a little hot.

The SG3 is a slim fit suit. I have a Santiago combo in size 56 (EU) the same as my SG3. The SG3 is tight enough that I can wear my heated jacket OR the insulated liner, but not both comfortably. My Santiago fits a lot looser. For my taste I like the fit of the SG3 for commuting in foul weather and the Santiago has been my go-to suit for touring in the Spring-Summer-Fall.

The Santiago would not hold up nearly as well to a get-off as the SG3 (IMHO only, never tested ).

My plan is to use the Badlands Pro for touring duty (all seasons) and the Latitude for commuting. I tour on both my GSes and usually ride dirt somewhere along the day, sometimes for days at a time (Moab in September this year.)

I haven't decided what to do with my SG3 yet. I'm pretty sure I'll sell my Santiago combo (with liners) after I wear the new Klim gear for a few weeks post-Christmas.

Cheers.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #104
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 974
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperGirl View Post
My natural state is semi-confused, so, you had me at "It's stiff but it breaks in."
Okay, I'll keep my daytime job, back to the jackets...

I'm glad you said that the badlands is like the RP3, and the latitude is more like the SG3.
I'll check out the latitude, which is on a different thread, so I'll just mosey on over there....
I'm an attention grabber........but generally this NEVER works in a bar.

The friend of mine whom does have the Latitude loves it! The first day or so he got it his wife told me she was worried he'd wear it to bed!! I told her it would cause a lot of chaffing and that wasn't it's intended purpose. Good jacket tho.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #105
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.the.ogre View Post
My plan is to use the Badlands Pro for touring duty (all seasons) and the Latitude for commuting.
+1

That sounds good to me... lucky. The protection on the Badlands suit is awesome..