ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #1051
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
and what would those changes be ?

The velcro in the arm adjustment straps in configured differently. There are more velcro tabs in the elbow armor pockets to allow for greater adjustability. The collar is a little shorter, 1/2" I believe. I think that is it.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #1052
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
The velcro in the arm adjustment straps in configured differently. There are more velcro tabs in the elbow armor pockets to allow for greater adjustability. The collar is a little shorter, 1/2" I believe. I think that is it.
My chest armor is thinner than my older Badlands, too. Much more comfortable.
__________________
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #1053
Transport
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: North America, usually
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
and what would those changes be ?
As well stated above.
Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #1054
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: St. George, UT
Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I'm 6'3" and 230 and have an XL. It's as tight as I would go. Right now I can layer a thin fleece under it, but no more and that's snug. For you, I would definitely go with the XXL.
I think this gear fits everyone differently. Some people carry there weight low, high, in their hips, shoulders etc. So it's hard to say if you are in this range this is the size for you. Like I said in an earlier post I am 6'5 250 and had an XXL originally and felt like it drowned me. Now I have an XL and besides being a little tight in the elbows and not as long in the sleeves I think the fit is better than my XXL and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It's a great set of gear...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #1055
BISHOP
Roadracer goes Dual
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 287
I'm 6'1" 180lbs. The L fits great. When wearing jacket alone ever so slightly looser than I would like. But, perfect when wearing a base and maybe mid for winter riding. Can't expect to have it all even with a $900 off the rack jacket. Size chart says closer to a medium, glad I went with L.

I've had lots of high end gear over last 20yrs. and so far I'm way happy with jacket design and fit. More will be revealed after extensive backcountry use this season.
BISHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #1056
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I think this gear fits everyone differently. Some people carry there weight low, high, in their hips, shoulders etc. So it's hard to say if you are in this range this is the size for you. Like I said in an earlier post I am 6'5 250 and had an XXL originally and felt like it drowned me. Now I have an XL and besides being a little tight in the elbows and not as long in the sleeves I think the fit is better than my XXL and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It's a great set of gear...
Yup, fit is a very subjective thing. My jacket fits me like it was tailor made for me. I would never expect the same size jacket would fit you based on your specs, but it does! It's even more surprising to me because I carry a lot of my weight in my legs (years of humping a 70 pound ruck and racing bicycles). Go figure!
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #1057
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Cape Cod
Oddometer: 120
Well i finally bought a Badlands Hi Viz . The fit is excellent seems to be all that I expected. My only real concern is how it will preform in the heat & humidity I have read that some have ridden in hot weather & it has been fine. Do you wear this in the middle of the summer ? or mostly 3 seasons? I have always worn a mesh jacket in the summer. I mainly wanted this jacket for the protection & not having to carry rain gear.
__________________
We are here for a good time not a long time
kencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #1058
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
Well i finally bought a Badlands Hi Viz . The fit is excellent seems to be all that I expected. My only real concern is how it will preform in the heat & humidity I have read that some have ridden in hot weather & it has been fine. Do you wear this in the middle of the summer ? or mostly 3 seasons? I have always worn a mesh jacket in the summer. I mainly wanted this jacket for the protection & not having to carry rain gear.

It won't ventilate as well as a mesh jacket, but it does vent better than any non-mesh jacket I've ever worn. I saw no need to keep my Motoport mesh jacket once I got my Badlands. However, it's drier here, with the humidity you all get in the summer I don't know. I suspect that as long as you're moving it'll be fine.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #1059
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
Well i finally bought a Badlands Hi Viz . The fit is excellent seems to be all that I expected. My only real concern is how it will preform in the heat & humidity I have read that some have ridden in hot weather & it has been fine. Do you wear this in the middle of the summer ? or mostly 3 seasons? I have always worn a mesh jacket in the summer. I mainly wanted this jacket for the protection & not having to carry rain gear.
I wear mine all the time summer, autumn, winter, spring. In the winter, I layer or plug in my heated gear. In the summer, the vents do move quite a bit of air, depending on the fairing on your bike. I have ridden up to 115 and, yes, it was hot and uncomfortable, but tolerable.

That being said, summers here are humid but not usually really hot. We rarely see triple digits. It's the high 90s most of the time.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #1060
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
Well i finally bought a Badlands Hi Viz . The fit is excellent seems to be all that I expected. My only real concern is how it will preform in the heat & humidity I have read that some have ridden in hot weather & it has been fine. Do you wear this in the middle of the summer ? or mostly 3 seasons? I have always worn a mesh jacket in the summer. I mainly wanted this jacket for the protection & not having to carry rain gear.
Hey Ken, fellow Cape Codder here from Falmouth. I wore mine last summer in temps hovering 120F and it was tolerable with LD Comfort sleeves for my 30min each way commute here in Phoenix, AZ, but no way in hell could I wear it in temps over 80F on the Cape. I purchased a mesh jacket to wear during our "monsoon" season here when it's humid. It would be fine for the other 3 seasons, though.
__________________
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #1061
armourbl
Adventure Life
 
armourbl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 559
Anyone running one of these in the Phoenix, Arizona area during the summer?

I'm researching jackets and I'm a big believer in keeping the heat off your body just as you would if it were cold, but that also means I need a jacket with really good vents (not mesh). I'm curious how this jacket does in extreme heat?

ben
__________________
______________________________
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja Edition
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #1062
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Anyone running one of these in the Phoenix, Arizona area during the summer?

I'm researching jackets and I'm a big believer in keeping the heat off your body just as you would if it were cold, but that also means I need a jacket with really good vents (not mesh). I'm curious how this jacket does in extreme heat?

ben
I'm not in Phoenix, but I've ridden in my Badlands in temps up to 115 Fahrenheit with 100% humidity. Yes, I was hot. Yes, it was uncomfortable. Yes, I was sweating a lot. But with all the zips and vents open, there was enough air movement that I didn't feel like I was dying.

I think how much wind protection your bike has might also play a factor in ventilation.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #1063
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Anyone running one of these in the Phoenix, Arizona area during the summer?

I'm researching jackets and I'm a big believer in keeping the heat off your body just as you would if it were cold, but that also means I need a jacket with really good vents (not mesh). I'm curious how this jacket does in extreme heat?

ben
I am. I used mine all last summer commuting everyday and as you know, the temps got up to almost 120F. I bought a pair of the LD Comfort sleeves from GoAz and soaked them before my ride home in the afternoon. Believe it or not, with just the wrist vents open, I was very comfortable on my 40 minute ride home. For short errands around town, I found it was too hot so I used a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket which was just replaced with a First Gear Adventure mesh jacket. If I went on any ride outside of town, I would wear my LD Comfort shirt and pants and be comfortable with an occasional re-wetting of the wrists to keep the cooling effect. Without the LD Comfort and all vents opened up, the jacket is a bit uncomfortable. I actually just put it away for the summer unless I ride outside of town and started using this new Adventure mesh jacket I just bought.
__________________
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #1064
armourbl
Adventure Life
 
armourbl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
I am. I used mine all last summer commuting everyday and as you know, the temps got up to almost 120F. I bought a pair of the LD Comfort sleeves from GoAz and soaked them before my ride home in the afternoon. Believe it or not, with just the wrist vents open, I was very comfortable on my 40 minute ride home. For short errands around town, I found it was too hot so I used a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket which was just replaced with a First Gear Adventure mesh jacket. If I went on any ride outside of town, I would wear my LD Comfort shirt and pants and be comfortable with an occasional re-wetting of the wrists to keep the cooling effect. Without the LD Comfort and all vents opened up, the jacket is a bit uncomfortable. I actually just put it away for the summer unless I ride outside of town and started using this new Adventure mesh jacket I just bought.
Thanks for the feedback on this. Thinking this might be the case, I was also considering the Klim Induction Jacket for in town, short trips. But again, I'm torn on the mesh jackets working properly in extreme heat. Seems like they would just allow the sweat to evaporate so quickly that it would not cool you down and just serve to dehydrate you more quickly.

I'm used to riding in the summer, but usually with a leather jacket and vents open. So I know what being warm and even overheated feels like inside a jacket. Despite this, I'm finding myself to be very indecisive right now on what to buy.

My current jacket is a Teknic convertible jacket that has full mesh under a removable outer shell. Nice and warm in the winter, and pretty good in below 90 degrees, but the mesh portion of the jacket just fits too loose without the outer shell and doesn't keep the body armor in the correct location.

ben
__________________
______________________________
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja Edition
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:25 AM   #1065
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,704
I really wanted one of those Induction jackets for in town errand running, but their release date isn't until May I think. We'll have already broken the 100* mark by then so maybe I'll buy one for next year. My motorcycle is my only transportation so I need to have multiple jackets to allow me to ride comfortably. If your just running around town on surface streets, I think a mesh jacket would be perfect. It's when you get onto the highway that the hot air will suck your skin dry of all moisture and you'll start to dehydrate. I wore my Joe Rocket twice commuting last summer and did not feel good afterwards. I actually was much more comfortable riding in the Badlands because it prevented me from dehydrating so quickly. The Revit Airwave is a decent mesh jacket as well. I had their older Air jacket at the beginning of the summer, but it, too was I bit too heavy for running errands around town. The jacket itself wasn't heavy, but the inside lining is very thick. The best mesh jacket I've ever owned was the BMW Venting Machine. It's about as heavy as a hoodie and flows air like you're just wearing a tshirt. Sadly I outgrew my last one and have patiently been looking for a used one again in my size. They've been updated and sold under the name Venting Jacket, but of course come with the BMW price. They don't have have any BMW logos on them except for a very small button so they look at place on any bike.
__________________
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014