ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
tiny,s toy OP
The World Is Yours

Oddometer: 38
Toronto Canada to Myrtle Beach

I am planing a trip to myrtle beach this summer. I would love to get some pointers on places to see and places to go. My plan is to do at least some of the Blue ridge parkway. Any other help would be great.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,128
Dates?

If you scoot down the BRP, come through Charlotte, NC. I'll show you the NASCAR stuff here.
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I moved from Buffalo to Richmond a while ago. For a trip like that maybe do a cosatal/inland loop. TO to DC. Then hit the OBX, Wilminton,NC,Savanah,GA,Chareston,SC, Myrtle Beach. Then head inland and up into the mountains. Smokie's, Blue Ridge Mts. Head home via Pittsburgh for a Pirate game and a Sammich at Primanti's(google it).

You will like the cooler mt. air after summer temps on the coast.

Oh, there is the "Dragon" too!
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
NC suggestions

If you're riding this far you owe it to yourself to go through Lexington NC and try some barbeque - southern style.

Myrtle Beach is big city entertainment with lots of people. Might want to check out Calabash for some fresh seafood while you're in the area.

Wilmington NC is a nice place to cruise through but on the larger size also. I prefer the smaller towns like Beaufort NC and the Oriental area, coastal and quiet with room to ride.

Some of the smaller towns have beaches that can only be described as lonely, the crowds migrate to the large resort areas.

New Bern NC - nice small city on the river 25 minutes from the coast, miles and miles of not much in every direction.

Blue Ridge Parkway to Stuart VA then find some highways - Lexington for lunch, Charlotte if you want to experience NASCAR once, hit Myrle area. When you get bored there go explore, you'll find some good riding and decent people in the quiet areas.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Rocking-M
DuckCowboy

Oddometer: 234
skip that Lexington bbq go to Joe's BBQ in Whiteville NC. Any BBQ west of I95 is barely fitting to eat but will do in a pinch.

I think the plan that was presented that included the coastal and the mountain route back was a great plan if you got the time. Stop off at Calabash when you get to the SC/NC line on the coast. Best seafood around.

BTW, I'm in the mountains just off the Parkway right near Stuart, VA and if you head through sw Viginia give a shout.

Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
Rocking-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
tiny,s toy OP
The World Is Yours

Oddometer: 38
Thanks everybody for the replies, I got a little busy plowing and salting snow. I will google map everything over the next week, and better organize my plans.All pm,s and questions will soon follow. By the way this trip will happen in August.

PS: is this winter over
Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
It's over here in Richmond, 65F and spent the day dirt biking with my boy.

Tommorow, 60+F and a trip west into the mtns. on the beemer. I lived(commuted) between Buffalo and Toronto for 18yrs.(Go Sabers)
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote