Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #136
mxbulldog
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 116
I tried on a Badlands at the BMW Summerfest at Mosport last weekend. The guys at Dualsport Plus had a sample there and it was pretty much exactly what I am looking for in a jacket. It was a Large and was snug, but I bet the XL is going to be perfect and is already on my christmas list to me! Very impressed with the details and the quality and it sounds liek the improvements from that pre-pro to the production model will make it even that much sweeter!
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #137
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore

Oddometer: 366
Badland delivery dates

My local vendor emailed me the following delivery dates for the Badland jacket and pants

Oct 25th for the Black color and Nov 28th for the Gray color.

Looking forward to my Grey suite.
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #138
BoxerDoc
Still a nOOb

Oddometer: 107
Thanks for that update, DB.

I pre-ordered the grey, but I'm having second thoughts about the black--esp. since it might get it here earlier.
BoxerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #139
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,865
I think the grey will look pretty good. I have a buddy with the grey Adventure Rally suit, and it looks sweet.
Black (anything) gets pretty damn hot!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #140
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer: 156
Badlands vs Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Hey Anhtony,

Could you share a few thoughts on how Badlands suit compares to Alpinstars Durban suit?
Any personal preference?

Cheers.
The most apparent difference between the two is that the Badlands is an extremely well constructed waterproof shell and the Durban is component system with the waterproof element in the liner. For a lot of consumers this is the difference that will aid in the decision making process, since they favor one style or the other. However there are other key differences that I would like to mention. From a protection standpoint both jackets use high end molecular protectors. The Durban uses SAS-TEC and the Badlands uses D30. The one protection advantage that the Badlands has is it's inclusion of a proper back and chest protector, these are optional on the Durban. Both jackets have very functional ventilation and I would rate it as almost a draw between the two based on the fact that the shell of the Durban is a little lighter than the Badlands with the liner out. In cooler temperatures the Badlands will require the addition of some sort of thermal element since one is not included. This is nice because it gives you the choice to select the level of warmth you require depending on the climate, everything from a thin fleece to a full heated liner would all work well under the pro shell . The Durban includes a pac-lite Gore Tex liner with micro fleece inserts and is probably good into the 40's depending on your temperature tolerance. Much cooler than that and you want to look into adding layers.

Fit wise, the Badlands has a much looser fit and in the pre-production version seems to run large compared to Klim's size chart. This seems to be intentional as it meant to be layered under and offer the ability to move freely on the bike in all scenarios. The Durban has a more traditional cut and seems to run true to size.

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A
RevZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #141
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
I love everything about the Adventure suit except for the lockout closures which keep popping open and rendering all that goretex completely useless. Is this the suit for me? I didn't see anywhere whether it had those same closures or not... I'll probably end up wearing a pressure suit underneath anyway much of the time, so I'm not as worried about the protection aspect. I'm sick of getting soaked in my RP2, or having to lug around Frog Toggs as well!

Is there any reason I should choose the ADV suit over this, even with the lockout problems, for a RTW?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #142
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,739
I think the ADV is a bit overkill for a RTW ... unless it's ALL offroad

You up near Mazar-i-Sharif or Balkh?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #143
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I think the ADV is a bit overkill for a RTW ... unless it's ALL offroad

You up near Mazar-i-Sharif or Balkh?
OK, that's good to know. I guess I'll just hope I can find a Badlands suit to look at when I get home, and see if that meets my needs.

I'm actually southeast of there, in Bagram.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #144
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
That code is to be used directly with Klim, not with a vendor.

VIP.Klim.com.

I also think you should probably just address these thing directly with Ned.

B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #145
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Can someone please explain what "molecular level protection" is? Because it sounds like a pseudo scientific term to me (happy to be educated).
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #146
BoxerDoc
Still a nOOb

Oddometer: 107
I think it's called that because the bonds between molecules supposedly change conformation at the molecular level and absorb energy from shock at the same time locking the molecules together to disperse the impact. It's kind of like applying heat energy to ice causes it to change bonding between molecules to become water as it absorbs that energy.
BoxerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #147
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Can someone please explain what "molecular level protection" is? Because it sounds like a pseudo scientific term to me (happy to be educated).
It's similar to how the crumple zone on a car works.
The "speed" of the impact is spread out over a longer time resulting in lower impact forces at any one time.

As we all know, hitting a tree at 30 mph and coming to an instant stop hurts more than sliding down the asphalt for 200 feet.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #148
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Any updates on when this gear will be available?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #149
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerDoc View Post
I think it's called that because the bonds between molecules supposedly change conformation at the molecular level and absorb energy from shock at the same time locking the molecules together to disperse the impact. It's kind of like applying heat energy to ice causes it to change bonding between molecules to become water as it absorbs that energy.
Ok the thing I can't get my head around is that surely the molecules themselves cannot change? It's the bonding process that changes. Maybe I'm just being cynical but I think it's a little misleading to call it "molecular level protection" - kind of like how the cosmetic companies use terms like "boswellox" which is their own invented term which sounds kind of sciencey to joanne average and makes her think "wow, its a medical thing so it must be good" which of course, it isn't, it's a marketing thing.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #150
14Traits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Ok the thing I can't get my head around is that surely the molecules themselves cannot change? It's the bonding process that changes. Maybe I'm just being cynical but I think it's a little misleading to call it "molecular level protection" - kind of like how the cosmetic companies use terms like "boswellox" which is their own invented term which sounds kind of sciencey to joanne average and makes her think "wow, its a medical thing so it must be good" which of course, it isn't, it's a marketing thing.
If you mean it doesn't change to a different elemental structure (H20 to lets say CH3CH2^4CH3) then you are correct. It does change it's state like water freezing aka liquid to solid or other elements that change states due to level of energy (kinetic, thermal, or electric). To use a different analog think back to the more recent batman movies where his cape could become rigid if an electric charge was applied to it. Similar concept different application of energy.

"HOW IT WORKS:
The functionality of the raw material originates from the synergistic effects of the polymer based dilatants. Energy is distributed throughout the synthetic elastomeric polymer and the enhanced chemistry continues to distribute energy on throughout the matrix, significantly reducing the effect of impact."

http://www.d3o.com/d3o-technology/

PROUD SPONSOR of #81 Neduro to Dakar - GO NED GO!!

14Traits screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 10:25 PM
14Traits is offline   Reply With Quote