User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #166
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
Fellas,

As the suits roll out will someone put a Leatt on over the jacket and report back on the fit please?

Thanks!

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #167
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Gonna ride a couple hundred miles 2mro and test the Jacket, Helmet and Gloves. They all fit good, I wore them a bit and all checks out.
. JJ
JJ, Flany - - any updates you can share?
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #168
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBiker View Post
Well - a few things to rave about:

1 - The quality is exceptional. Everything about the jacket and pants seems well build and well thought-out.
2 - Details just work. The sleeve/cuff velcro is just at the right angle, pocket zippers are natural to reach. Sleeve pocket is the bomb. Built-in kedney belt keeps the jacket secure, and shug-feeling.
3 - Fit for me was superb . I haven't had a jacket and pants fit my curves this well since my original Hien Gerrick Stealth Pilot Leathers from 20 years ago. Pads hit me in all the right spots and just seem to hug. Perfect! I am 5"10 with a 34" waist and 33 inch inseam, and 185 lbs. I bought Jacket size large, and pants size 34 Long.
4 - No air gets in. Riding in 5 degrees C in the last few days, and no chills penetrating at all.

A few niggles:

- I'm not 100% sold on the collar. I still have to work on finding a setting that doesn't snag my helmet when I turn my head.
- Snap on the bottom of the pants is a bit hard to do/undo...I think I would prefer velcro, but time will tell if it breaks-in.

Otherwise, I'm more than 100% satisfied. I'm very hopefull that this will be the last suit for me for a while.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #169
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBiker View Post
Ok 420mi so far but no rain yet....Had to lay carpet the last stormy day. Hopefully I'll get out Thurs when the weathers crappy.

As Flanny said Klim quality.... I don't have to say more... +10
Been riding in temps from 28F-65F degrees and the jacket venting is working excellent though it's not 90 out you can definately feel the air movement. Pit zips are always a good thing in a jacket and the arm and back vents work well too.

XL jacket fits my 6'1" (back to 175lbs now )perfect with room for layering. Will be fine when I'm back to 185. Sleeves are nice and long.
The wrist closures are excellent, arm tensioners good too. Armor placement good, the elbow and shoulder armor is on the minimalist side.
Pockets are every where and easy to get into, I wonder why the storm flaps face forward on the lower cargo pockets though not an issue so far. The quick access velcro closure left shirt style pocket is nice and I would like a matching one on the other side too. (Quick places to drop glasses, phone or camera.)The main jacket chest zipper lets NO air through nice! On a 28deg ride last week I was cozy with a layer less than I thought I'd need.
The built in kidney belt is awesomne as it tucks away into its own holder when not in use and it looks like you could use another of your choice if you wanted to. Well thought out!
The Dow chest armor is nice and the overlap is well thought out... you get used to tucking it as you zip, though I thinkl I'll trim it a bit rounder on the left upper breast side to keep it away from my neck a bit when sitting.
Back armor is STOUT very nice and you don't know it's there.
Collar is a bit stiff and thin though it will break in nice I'm sure in another week... I have no issues with it snagging when I turn my head and only sometimes here the plastic pull keeper (on the rear of the collar) tap the helmet. Height is about perfect, I have to test the velcro collar flap holders later this week to see if they improve the venting compared to a normalk open collar...thinking they will.
So all in all I need more seat time to give a better report but as it is this is the most rounded do it all jacket I've worn so far and as Flanny said the bends and curves fit like a glove. My only modification so far will be trimming the left chest armor a bit....otherwise about PERFECT.

Turns out the 34-Tall pants fit better than the wife thought 33" waist and 34.5" inseam.
I wore them for the first time today just a 75mi ride half dirt half paved, so again I need more seat time to give you a better review. Fit is actually excellent and the crotch butt and knee bends fit perfect no snagging, bunching or interference on the bike. Leg length covers the boots nice when seated and the waist is super comfortable with no sagging as the ride went on felt as or more comfortable than my old Klim Togwotee pants.
Vents pass air when standing and naturally let hot moist air ourt when seated and walking around.
Like Flanny I'd probably prefer velcro pant leg closures like on the ADV Rally pants we'll see... They unzip to the top of the rear calf with the waterproof material still connecting the zipped halves. I would like to see full to the Knee Zips so you could put them on over your boots but I suppose with keeping them 100% waterproof they or GoreTex opted with this setup... I will have to speak with them so as not to assume.
My old Togwotee's keep me dry with full leg zips so we'll do some research.
Knee and hip armor... knee is good,could maybe extend down the shin a bit?.... will bring that up. Hip is good as it's hard to put too much there... would like to see a bit of Sacrum armor using the same D30 impact material,will suggest that. (having broken mine in two I'm conscious of it now.) These can also be addressed by using armored compression shorts and knee guards (such as Evs or Klim etc...) as well, but sometimes you just want to put on the pants and go.
The fly also has a layer of waterproof material connecting the two zipper halves like a webbed foot... It folds over once when you zip up.
Great Idea as anytime you have a zipper even with your waterproof membrane rain pants... you'll have a wet crotch as the rain runs wind driven down your chest and stomach! I used to buy zipperless rain pants just because of this. These pants address that problem...well thought out! At first I was thinking I'd have to suggest a little more material so as to let you have a bit more room when draining your....bladder, but after doing that a few times today I find there is enough to comfortably take care of bussiness.
I like pockets alot and these have 2 so that's a good start... the only improvement I can see (which I'll bring up with the crew after I modify mine) is to put a pair of accesses in each upper leg vent... in the mesh. When you open the vent only the mesh is keepin you fromn getting into your mid layer. It would make the upper vent act and/or double as a pocket so to speak. Then you could reach through into your pants or shorts pockets for money, paper, lighter, keys...ect. I wear cargo shorts when I ride so I want to be able to access those pokets.
Easy fix and you just gained a lot more storage and convenient access.
As I said I need more time so I'll post another update Friday or Thurs night after the slop hit's.
Sooo far an EXCELLENT pair of high tech pants. Barring the fact that we're in the autumn winter now and the warmer temps are gonna have to wait to round out the review.
If this gear is 100% Waterproof like I believe it will be... then I've just whittled down my kit by being able to leave out the rain gear! WoooHoo JJ

EDIT: Lots of reflective material and all worksmanship is 150%, both pieces have a nice quality heft (I'll have to weigh them)
also if anyone has a specific area they're interested in... post it up and I'll try to feel it out.
Peace JJ

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 12:52 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #170
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,758
I wish they made this in hi-viz. I know... blasphemy!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #171
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Hear, Hear!!

I'd order two suits immediately if they were available in a bright color. Hi-vis yellow or even the bright blue Klim offers in some of their other jackets would be great!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #172
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus View Post
Hear, Hear!!

I'd order two suits immediately if they were available in a bright color. Hi-vis yellow or even the bright blue Klim offers in some of their other jackets would be great!!
Or I'm liking Red....
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #173
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Really?

I hear Hi-Viz colors fade quickly.

You would still pay $900 for a jacket that will fade in less than 5 years?
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #174
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Or I'm liking Red....
Red fades even faster than Lime-Yellow.
Remember how Charlie Boorman's Red BMW jacket faded to pink in one year?
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #175
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Flanny - thanks for the review. Should one desire to do so, do you think the OEM pads could be removed and wear some sort of pressure suit underneath (Koerta or similar) without it being too tight? If it fits well may not be an issue but if someone wanted "hard armor"... I'm about the same dimensions as you cept a bit lighter so glad to know the same ordered will likely work.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #176
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Flanny - thanks for the review. Should one desire to do so, do you think the OEM pads could be removed and wear some sort of pressure suit underneath (Koerta or similar) without it being too tight? If it fits well may not be an issue but if someone wanted "hard armor"... I'm about the same dimensions as you cept a bit lighter so glad to know the same ordered will likely work.

Thanks
You'd probably have to order a size up. I think it would be tight, as mine fits exactly as it is with current armor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #177
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Really?

I hear Hi-Viz colors fade quickly.

Q~
I'm with you Q, I'm not interested in Hi-vis or primary colors.

Just my opinion though.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #178
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Yup. Faded Hi-Vis is still easier for cagers to see than completely black or even mostly black with a bit of gray.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #179
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus View Post
Yup. Faded Hi-Vis is still easier for cagers to see than completely black or even mostly black with a bit of gray.
I agree with this one. I would buy it in a heartbeat as my other and I have an agrement that I ride but it has to be hi-viz. I hate wearing vests but that could work. So Ed, if you guys make a couple of them for testing, let me know.

eddyturn screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 09:57 PM
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #180
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
I agree with this one. I would buy it in a hearbeat as my other and I have an agrement that I ride but it has to be hi-viz. I hate wearing vests but that could work. So Ed, if you guys make a couple of them for testing, let me know.

Hi-viz is a winner in my book but a bitch to keep clean. I use the Olympia Moab around town and a Olympia Nova vest over the Rallye 3 jacket for travel. Works out great. I think if Klim were to offer the option it would certainly be worth a look.