ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #196
eddiefaulkner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: newnan georgia
Oddometer: 398
I saw all the new stuff at BMW of Atlanta this Saturday. This will be the standard to which others will follow. Im in sooo much trouble.
eddiefaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #197
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel
 
Happycamper's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Cambridge MA
Oddometer: 580
Thumb The Pants rock

We had an unusually warm weekend in the Northeast. So I went on a little ride yesterday. This review is only about the pants. I am returning the Jacket to get the next size up, so I did not wear them on my ride yesterday. I know:

However, I did wear the pants and was very impressed. While a little baggy in the rear while standing with nothing but skivvies underneath, they fit well with a long baselayer pant underneath along with my Forcefield armored shorts (while the hip armor in the Badlands is nice, I like the amount of coverage I get from the Forcefield shorts). The fit was comfy and when I got a little warm I was easily able to open up the vents. The waist cinch kept the pants where they belonged. The snaps stayed snapped and I had no issues with the zippers. The pockets are in a great location, easily accessible while seated. The knee armor stayed put on my knees. My tall dual-sport boots were easily put on and taken off (Alpinstar Scouts).

My only nits are few. While the armor covered my knee and stayed put, I would still like the pieces to be bigger. The armor in my BMW Summer pants comes down to the tops of my boots, not so with the armor in the Badlands. The BMW armor also wraps around my knee more, which leads me to believe they'd perform better in a side blow than the Badlands armor. Also, I wish they could have listened to the feedback w/r/t the Klim branding and gotton rid of a couple of the Klim patches (which do not look easy to remove, so I am leaving them as is).

Those nits are not enough to make me regret my purchase
__________________
Happycamper

2007 G650 Xchallenge - Sold
2009 F800GS
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R - may my meager skills be up to the challenge

Happycamper screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 01:55 PM
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #198
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore
 
DirtyBiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Wet city of Seattle
Oddometer: 366
Great suit - good job Klim

So I finally got my grey suite (jacket and pants) and rode yesterday in the Seattle rain and mountain cold for 2
hours. Suite worked as expected and as I hoped. It kept me very dry and with my headed vest, gloves, and socks
I was very warm. For rainy winter riding I am very pleased so far.


Positive points (Iíll try not to repeat what has already been said):

Jacket; Love the sleeve inner cuff as it blocks the wind. Collar cinch works great as it helped keep my neck
warm and dry. The 2 shoulder velcro collar attachment points work great as a camelback water tube guide
(water bag in rear pocket of jacket running tube up and over left shoulder).


Pants: Very comfortable for me and very waterproof. Very pleased.

Knee guards; I also own the BMW summer pants and like them in hot rides. But at 5í10Ē the hefty knee guards
rub the top of my boots and are very uncomfortable when I sit on the toilet or a small chair. In comparison
the KLIM pants with the smaller guards are very comfortable when sitting. I havenít fallen yet so Iíll
respect what the other writers are saying about their performance.


Three nits; 1) For me with a slight gut - snaps can come undone when under pressure (ya - donít snicker).
Hooks or a front adjustment strap prevent that. 2) The front plastic D ring is great but when they are placed
in front next of the leg and near the crotch attaching keys there tend to bounce and can swing into the crotch.
I always attach a D-ring to the side of every riding pant I have as a side placement will eliminate hitting the
crotch. 3) ditto on the yellow patches but I knew that well before placing my order
.

I own the BMW Rally 2 grey, BMW summer pant, Joe Rocket adventure jacket, and Olympic vented suite.
This suite (Jacket and pants) will be my long distant adventure trip suit where Iíll likely experience all weather types
(such as Alaska). Great suit and very pleased after 1 rainy winter ride. Look forward to the riding season.
__________________
Adventure feeds my soul, without it I would wilt
2011 Dalton & Dempster Solo trip http://tiny.cc/a0b69
Other adventure pics here
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #199
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen
 
darrendeep6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 274
I received my Badlands yesterday and finally went for a ride today. It was a warmish day for November in Michigan. The temp was around 63 degrees. I had my cold weather layers on so I actually had to use the vents. The leg vents pull alot of air, especially when standing. A very good design. Overall I am very happy with the suit. My last suit was a Ralley Pro 2.

I suggest people spend some time with the armor in the suit. There is alot of adjustment, especially in the knee area. The knee pocket has adjustments for raising and lowering, moving the pads inboard and outboard of the knee. There is also two velcro patches around the knee cap. These are used when orientating the armor inboard or outboard as the armor tends to float around the pocket. I found them after getting frustrated and turning the pants inside out after trying to figure out all the velcro patches by touch. One benefit to the small armor. You will see the two patches I refer to. Much easier and not possible with the BMW pants. Once adjusted and all the velcro fixed the armor doesn't move at all. The armor in the jacket is excellent and once adjusted is hardly noticeable and provides excellent coverage, I especially like the chest protector. I've collapsed one lung from a moto injury so the added protection will make the doctor and wife happy. My only suggestion is a little bigger knee protector, I would like a little side impact protection. Well executed design by Klim.
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #200
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 956
Yup, check your knee armor location. Mine were installed in different locations from right leg to left leg from the factory.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #201
jp-speed-triple
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lancaster, UK
Oddometer: 59
My kit landed last week in the uk. Everything I was expecting and more!

Bit of a write up here more to come when I get some more time on the bike on an immenent trip through the European winter to Spain.
jp-speed-triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #202
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore
 
DirtyBiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Wet city of Seattle
Oddometer: 366
wrinkles and bubbles appearing

Is it just me or are others seeing small wrinkles and bubbles appearing on the refected stripes on both the Pants and Jacket ? Not sure this is anything to worry yet as long as they remain water proof and don't crack.

OH - Nice write up JP-speed
__________________
Adventure feeds my soul, without it I would wilt
2011 Dalton & Dempster Solo trip http://tiny.cc/a0b69
Other adventure pics here

DirtyBiker screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 12:18 AM
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #203
toro618
Studly Adventurer
 
toro618's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 949
Yeah, I noticed a little wrinkle on the jacket side patch from day one...never check the other gazillion patches so not sure if there are more.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #204
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,346
Mine's on the way! Thanks Atomic-Moto!
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #205
L Rider
"Road Worthy"
 
L Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 351
Thoughts.....

My suit (gray) arrived this week, here are few thoughts:

-I had seen the suit at the MBWMOA rally in Bloomsburg (where I bought it) and therefore had a reasonable idea as to what was coming, must say however that after spending some time with it I am very impressed with the quality and technical elements (currently wear BMW Savannah II, have worn for 8 years, BMW City pants, and Joe Rocket leather jacket).

-I am not riding now (snow here) so I can't speak to the ride experience, but I am sure the Klim will be my go to kit for any multi day ride.

-fit: I usually take a 42 Reg (can usually buy a 42 Reg suit off the rack and need only hem the pants, the rest fits), and am 5'11" and 180lbs. My Savannah II jacket is a Euro 54, giving me a little room for my Gerbings jacket or other layers. Pants usually 34". The Klim LG jacket fits perfect, just a little room for the Gerbings, not snug but not too loose either. Very happy on that front.

-pants however, a bit of a compromise: I bought the Klim 34" waist which is usually what fits. The Klim size chart says for 33" to 37" waists, so I assumed I would be ok. The waist is pretty snug however, even with the side tabs loose. The seat is a little baggy (a previous poster said same, not real happy about that but wife says it's not too bad) and the room through the thighs and everywhere else is about right. Inseam is just bordering on short but is ok, I usually take a 32" inseam, the pant is 31" I believe. So my dilemma is that if I go up a pant size, to 36", the seat gets baggier and droopier, I can't stop age from doing that but I don't want pants that do it!! Don't want that. I spoke with the expert at Touratech and talked it through, she thought the waist expansion panel at the rear would give a bit with use. So I am staying put with the 34". Btw, she mentioned that a number of purchasers were finding the pant a bit short (of course the tall size is always available).

-the Klim logos don't really fuss me, ok with that.

Overall, so far I am very happy with the suit, can't wait to use it!!
__________________
Cheers.........Rod

L Rider screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 12:48 PM
L Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #206
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Rider View Post
-pants however, a bit of a compromise: I bought the Klim 34" waist which is usually what fits. The Klim size chart says for 33" to 37" waists, so I assumed I would be ok. The waist is pretty snug however, even with the side tabs loose. The seat is a little baggy (a previous poster said same, not real happy about that but wife says it's not too bad) and the room through the thighs and everywhere else is about right. Inseam is just bordering on short but is ok, I usually take a 32" inseam, the pant is 31" I believe. So my dilemma is that if I go up a pant size, to 36", the seat gets baggier and droopier, I can't stop age from doing that but I don't want pants that do it!! Don't want that. I spoke with the expert at Touratech and talked it through, she thought the waist expansion panel at the rear would give a bit with use. So I am staying put with the 34". Btw, she mentioned that a number of purchasers were finding the pant a bit short (of course the tall size is always available).
I am the same size as you and went with the 34 Tall pant thinking that they may be waaayyy too long, but they are perfect, and hang just the way I would expect them to when sitting and standing on the pegs.

My waist is also a little snug, but I have devised and ingenious way to deal with that. I plan to lose 10 lbs, and have already lost 3! Pants should fit perfectly next spring!.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #207
jp-speed-triple
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lancaster, UK
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
I am the same size as you and went with the 34 Tall pant thinking that they may be waaayyy too long, but they are perfect, and hang just the way I would expect them to when sitting and standing on the pegs.

My waist is also a little snug, but I have devised and ingenious way to deal with that. I plan to lose 10 lbs, and have already lost 3! Pants should fit perfectly next spring!.
I've just dropped the 10lbs with another 10 to go...good job I did or they would have been skin tight! Will be spot on when I lose the next chunk!

Sizing is a bit odd I must say, But I'm happy with the looser thigh. I can't belive that I've got the biggest waist size though! There must be a LOT of folk out there that can afford and want a suit like this that are WAY bigger than me. Rukka go into at least 2 sizes bigger than this and I'm 3 sizes down from there biggest....Bit odd as I say.

Its hardly the suit for a young Enduro jock really. More suited (perhaps) to a slightly more sedate type of rider? Especially as it may get worn with a thermal layer underneath. Its gotta go somewhere!!!

Just a thought.
__________________
Future ADV my blog on motorcycling, yachting and everything else. Please take a look.
jp-speed-triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #208
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Rider View Post
My suit (gray) arrived this week, here are few thoughts:

-I had seen the suit at the MBWMOA rally in Bloomsburg (where I bought it) and therefore had a reasonable idea as to what was coming, must say however that after spending some time with it I am very impressed with the quality and technical elements (currently wear BMW Savannah II, have worn for 8 years, BMW City pants, and Joe Rocket leather jacket).

-I am not riding now (snow here) so I can't speak to the ride experience, but I am sure the Klim will be my go to kit for any multi day ride.

-fit: I usually take a 42 Reg (can usually buy a 42 Reg suit off the rack and need only hem the pants, the rest fits), and am 5'11" and 180lbs. My Savannah II jacket is a Euro 54, giving me a little room for my Gerbings jacket or other layers. Pants usually 34". The Klim LG jacket fits perfect, just a little room for the Gerbings, not snug but not too loose either. Very happy on that front.

-pants however, a bit of a compromise: I bought the Klim 34" waist which is usually what fits. The Klim size chart says for 33" to 37" waists, so I assumed I would be ok. The waist is pretty snug however, even with the side tabs loose. The seat is a little baggy (a previous poster said same, not real happy about that but wife says it's not too bad) and the room through the thighs and everywhere else is about right. Inseam is just bordering on short but is ok, I usually take a 32" inseam, the pant is 31" I believe. So my dilemma is that if I go up a pant size, to 36", the seat gets baggier and droopier, I can't stop age from doing that but I don't want pants that do it!! Don't want that. I spoke with the expert at Touratech and talked it through, she thought the waist expansion panel at the rear would give a bit with use. So I am staying put with the 34". Btw, she mentioned that a number of purchasers were finding the pant a bit short (of course the tall size is always available).

-the Klim logos don't really fuss me, ok with that.

Overall, so far I am very happy with the suit, can't wait to use it!!
Do yourself a favor and go sit on your bike before deciding anything. You did go sit on your bike replicating riding, right? Also, don't worry about what your butt looks like in them, your wife already said your good to go. From your paragraph long explaination, it seems you are trying to convince yourself they are the right size, and reading between the lines you are not happy with the way they fit.
When I go on my muti-day moto trips I like to splurge and eat. I also like to be comfortable, it makes me concentrate on riding and not some issue with my gear, like the waistband cutting into my gut, or wind and water coming in from the bottom of the too short pant legs. When seated on a motorbike, my gut goes out and the pant hem goes up, it's just the way it works. If your pants are on the tight side and marginally short, go sit on the bike, and you might change your mind quickly.
Of course the "expert" talked you out of trading for a better fitting size. That way they don't have to go through the hassle of doing a return. They say it's no big deal, but anybody in retail knows a clean sale is prefered hands down, every sale.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #209
L Rider
"Road Worthy"
 
L Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 351
Thumb

Good advice here............thank you
__________________
Cheers.........Rod
L Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #210
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted
 
heetseeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wilton CA
Oddometer: 370
Who is stocking the Badlands Pro near the Sacramento area? I'm ready to try one on...
__________________
GS 1200, 12' EXC 500, ktm sx250, RZR 900 XP

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014