Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #211
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Who is stocking the Badlands Pro near the Sacramento area? I'm ready to try one on...

http://www.klim.com/en-us/dealers

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #212
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,715
I notice online everyone advertises it for the same price.
Can you save some money by buying it at a local dealer?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #213
L Rider
"Road Worthy"

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Rider View Post
My suit (gray) arrived this week, here are few thoughts:

-I had seen the suit at the MBWMOA rally in Bloomsburg (where I bought it) and therefore had a reasonable idea as to what was coming, must say however that after spending some time with it I am very impressed with the quality and technical elements (currently wear BMW Savannah II, have worn for 8 years, BMW City pants, and Joe Rocket leather jacket).

-I am not riding now (snow here) so I can't speak to the ride experience, but I am sure the Klim will be my go to kit for any multi day ride.

-fit: I usually take a 42 Reg (can usually buy a 42 Reg suit off the rack and need only hem the pants, the rest fits), and am 5'11" and 180lbs. My Savannah II jacket is a Euro 54, giving me a little room for my Gerbings jacket or other layers. Pants usually 34". The Klim LG jacket fits perfect, just a little room for the Gerbings, not snug but not too loose either. Very happy on that front.

-pants however, a bit of a compromise: I bought the Klim 34" waist which is usually what fits. The Klim size chart says for 33" to 37" waists, so I assumed I would be ok. The waist is pretty snug however, even with the side tabs loose. The seat is a little baggy (a previous poster said same, not real happy about that but wife says it's not too bad) and the room through the thighs and everywhere else is about right. Inseam is just bordering on short but is ok, I usually take a 32" inseam, the pant is 31" I believe. So my dilemma is that if I go up a pant size, to 36", the seat gets baggier and droopier, I can't stop age from doing that but I don't want pants that do it!! Don't want that. I spoke with the expert at Touratech and talked it through, she thought the waist expansion panel at the rear would give a bit with use. So I am staying put with the 34". Btw, she mentioned that a number of purchasers were finding the pant a bit short (of course the tall size is always available).

-the Klim logos don't really fuss me, ok with that.

Overall, so far I am very happy with the suit, can't wait to use it!!
Just to update on the pants: I took them to my local tailor and for $20 had him remove the elastic from the elastic panel in the rear waist. He did a great job, you would never know it had been opened up. Fit is perfect now, the modification gave about 1.5" and I can tighten the side cinches if I need it. I am totally good to go now.........
Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #214
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,680
I remember a line from an old Aerostitch catalogue ... "If you don't like how your butt looks in the mirror, don't look in the mirror "
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #215
Jking
It's just a bike

Oddometer: 236
badlands in stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Who is stocking the Badlands Pro near the Sacramento area? I'm ready to try one on...

noone carries them!

Remembering the past gives us reason for the future...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165725
Jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #216
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
Alteration

L Rider,
Way to think out of the box and make them work for you.
I have the jacket and havn't decided on which way I'm going for the pants.
I like the larger leather panel on the Traverse, but I also like the more robust fabrics of the Laditude and Badlands.
I guess it's a good to have this many excellant choices.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #217
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
stocking the suit

Try mountainmotorrad (todd@mountainmotorrad.ca) great prices and service.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #218
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
L Rider,
Way to think out of the box and make them work for you.
I have the jacket and havn't decided on which way I'm going for the pants.
I like the larger leather panel on the Traverse, but I also like the more robust fabrics of the Laditude and Badlands.
I guess it's a good to have this many excellant choices.
You're describing the Adventure rally pant, large leather panels and the heavier duty materials.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #219
Nod-Off
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My large Badlands Pro (replacement) jacket arrived today -- my third Badland Pro jacket, having returned two previous jackets -- I'm fussy when paying this much for gear. I bought the Badlands Pro to replace my Dairen.

I'm still unsure about the fit, though I'm very happy with the quality. I originally ordered a size large, but when it arrived I thought the sleeves were too long to fit under my winter glove gauntlets and the neck gaiter seems too high and awkwardly designed. When I called customer service, I was told not to worry, winter glove gauntlets are meant to go inside the sleeves. Can this be true. What about water seepage in the rain?

So I sent the large back and exchanged it for a med. But I'm 6', 34" sleeve, 36" waist and a 43 reg in a jacket, and the medium jacket proved too small in the chest, though the sleeves were perfect. Soooo, I returned it and reordered the large replacement jacket that arrived UPS today. Any recommendations for the sleeves? Collar? TIA.
Nod-Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #220
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod-Off View Post
My large Badlands Pro (replacement) jacket arrived today -- my third Badland Pro jacket, having returned two previous jackets -- I'm fussy when paying this much for gear. I bought the Badlands Pro to replace my Dairen.

I'm still unsure about the fit, though I'm very happy with the quality. I originally ordered a size large, but when it arrived I thought the sleeves were too long to fit under my winter glove gauntlets and the neck gaiter seems too high and awkwardly designed. When I called customer service, I was told not to worry, winter glove gauntlets are meant to go inside the sleeves. Can this be true. What about water seepage in the rain?

So I sent the large back and exchanged it for a med. But I'm 6', 34" sleeve, 36" waist and a 43 reg in a jacket, and the medium jacket proved too small in the chest, though the sleeves were perfect. Soooo, I returned it and reordered the large replacement jacket that arrived UPS today. Any recommendations for the sleeves? Collar? TIA.
You are picky, huh?

As far as rain seepage goes, the conventional wisdom is that in the rain you want the gloves inside the sleeves. Honestly, I'm not sure why this is as it seems that would let water blow up the sleeves. The explanation is that if the gloves were outside the sleeves, water could drip down the sleeves and into the gloves. I'm not convinced but then again I've always followed that advice (gloves inside) and never had water in my gloves.

Collar: I'm still getting used to mine. I had the Klim Adventure Rally for about a year and a half and I had become very accustomed to that collar. This one seems a bit taller and not as comfy, perhaps too stiff. I'm hopeful that it will break in with time. I'm also not convinced of the usefulness of the velcro tabs that are for holding the collar open. Seems that for them to work, they have to hold the collar pretty far open. BUT, that could be really nice in hot weather so . . . I'll again reserve judgment.

Size-wise your choice seems off to me. You don't say what you weigh but... I'm 6'3", 220 pounds. I wear a 17 1/2 x 35 dress shirt and a 44 long suit. I ordered an XL and think the size is just right. My Adventure jacket seemed a little too large (barely) and the the Badlands seems just that much more tapered to fit. The XL fits comfortably, with enough room underneath for a fleece layer. I think a Large would be too small. My only sizing issue is that the jacket seems a tad too long in the tail. I won't get too descriptive, but it does seem that I find myself sitting on the tail of the jacket most of the time.

The sleeves do seem just too long, until I get on the bike where they seem the perfect length. Have you ridden with your Badlands yet? Also, this jacket has those, um "gaiter" thingys in the sleeves. Not to sure what those are for but I suspect if you put your thumbs through the thumb holes, then put your gloves over the gaiters and then jacket over the gloves, you'd pretty well set up. Worked for me this morning.

Hope that helps.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #221
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post

The sleeves do seem just too long, until I get on the bike where they seem the perfect length. Have you ridden with your Badlands yet?

+1. I thought the sleeves were too long, but the fit right everywhere else. And then I took a ride. No issues with the sleeve length once geared up and mounted on the bike. My only qualm is I am having difficulty getting long gauntlet gloves inside versus outside the sleeves, but I am sure I'll get that figured out.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #222
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
+1. I thought the sleeves were too long, but the fit right everywhere else. And then I took a ride. No issues with the sleeve length once geared up and mounted on the bike. My only qualm is I am having difficulty getting long gauntlet gloves inside versus outside the sleeves, but I am sure I'll get that figured out.
You may need to switch to a shorter necked down glove
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #223
Nod-Off
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Good comments, YetiGS, I didn't ride in the jacket (honest!) since I wasn't sure if I wanted to return it, so didn't want to stick the next guy with used gear. I did sit on my GS and the sleeves seemed okay, though still a little hard to manage with winter gloves. Your advice on wearing the sleeve gauntlet inside is certainly counter-intuitive, and runs counter to everything I've done for the last 30 yrs, but I suppose even this old dog can learn...
The collar issue is just plain weird to me. I may take it over to Berkeley to an outdoor equipment repair shop and see if they can sew some velcro tabs on the back and hook-n-loop tape on the outside so I can pin it down under normal conditions (most of the time, except rain, very cold, etc.) and pull it closed in inclement weather. Anyone tried this?
Thanks
Nod-Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #224
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Ok, so I've been riding with the jacket for a few days now. Getting to know it, figuring out what's comfy, what's not. But I gotta ask . . .

WHAT IS WITH THE SLEEVE CONDOMS??

I just don't get them. They make it more difficult to get the sleeves on. In the summer, I suspect they won't let cooling breezes flow up the sleeves. Putting them over my hands and then my hands into my gloves feels uncomfortable and makes the gloves tight.

Someone give me a good reason not to just cut those bastids out of the sleeves.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #225
BoxerDoc
Still a nOOb

Oddometer: 107
I think they got the sizing pretty accurate on the Badlands outfit. I'm an XL in most tops (46 suit, 17/34 shirt) and the jacket fit just fine. Can layer under it, too.

I ordered my jeans size for the BLP pants fit just like lean, low cut jeans. I'm returning them for a size larger so I could layer under them. One thing I do appreciate are the thighs are generously roomy. I'm not a fan of the elastic in the waist, however. It seems pointless since it's very tight but then doesn't stretch more than 1/2".
BoxerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote