Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #16
"A" OP
numbum

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Yeah, for mostly off roading the single 300mm disc should be fine - if not actually better than the dual discs. That's what the 950 SE runs as well, with the same 2 piston Brembo caliper.

Maybe between the two of us we can figure out us how to make the ABS work with the WPs. I can already tell you that the slotted sensor ring from the 990 Adventure will fit on any KTM front hub (all have the same bolt circle), and it has the same number of slots as the BMW. Whether that's a good thing in your case I am not sure, as your wheel speeds will be different with the 21" wheel vs. the original 19". F800 riders who have gone the other way are not reporting any problems however.

Then you would only need to fab a mount for the ABS sensor on the axle clamps, shouldn't be that difficult to bend something up from a sheet of aluminum. My forks actually have a ABS sensor mount, so I was considering splicing a KTM sensor into the BMW harness. Not electrical enough to know if the signal it gives will be compatible however - any idea?

Lukas
Thanks Lukas. That KTM 990 info is good. I'll use my BMW sensor and fabricate a mount for the 690 forks I'm using. I don't know if the KTM sensor is compatible with the BMW control unit. If the sinusiodal voltage is similar and the KTM ring has the same number of slots as you mentiond then I suppose it should work. I have no real experience in this field though.
When I rode my bike in the dirt with its original wheels I was surprised how soon the ABS cut in. I immediatly got the feeling that I would have been braking harder with the ABS switched off. It will be interesting to see how it performs with the ABS working in similar conditions when I get it set up with my new 18"/21" wheel combo.
I did some more sand and gravel surface riding this weekend. This bike is fun but reminds me that I must put some stiffer fork springs in as soon as possible.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
When I rode my bike in the dirt with its original wheels I was surprised how soon the ABS cut in. I immediatly got the feeling that I would have been braking harder with the ABS switched off. It will be interesting to see how it performs with the ABS working in similar conditions when I get it set up with my new 18"/21" wheel combo.
I have always felt the ABS engages too quickly, especially in nice soft terrain on steep descents. If it just waited a split-second longer, it would allow the weight transfer required to improve traction and thus braking force, but it's just not dialed in that well.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #18
"A" OP
numbum

More to Do

I need to get the top clamp I borrowed of my 650X back onto it so I made a new one.

Because this bike came with a lowered seat I carved out some foam to work out what may be a suitable shape for when the job gets done properly.

I have a list of lots more to do-
Heavier fork springs
Bodywork- make a new fake tank, no beak
Upper shock mount fix
Lower the gearing
Protection for lower part of rear shock
Renthal Fatbars or similar
Barkbusters
Mount front ABS disk
Re-upholster seat
Fit a more modern looking front fender
Lighter, narrower muffler
Make some soft pannier racks
Cut off the pillion pegs
Make a headlight protector
Fit a lighter battery

I wonder if all that will actually get done!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
why?

just wondering why you didnt just buy the F8GS? It seems it would have been a bit easier and accomplish the same thing with alot less mods? Is there something this custom will do better?

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #20
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRscoob View Post
just wondering why you didnt just buy the F8GS? It seems it would have been a bit easier and accomplish the same thing with alot less mods? Is there something this custom will do better?
If you want a good offroad bike you would change most of the parts the F800 has different from the F650 anyway. Forks, shock, wheels, etc are all mediocre quality at best. So if you can get a good deal on a F650 you can end up with a bike that is better in most regards for less money. Now if somebody finally did the cam upgrade to get the same power...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #21
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
If you want a good offroad bike you would change most of the parts the F800 has different from the F650 anyway. Forks, shock, wheels, etc are all mediocre quality at best. So if you can get a good deal on a F650 you can end up with a bike that is better in most regards for less money. Now if somebody finally did the cam upgrade to get the same power...

I'm not sure that that would truely be an advantage for offroad then you'd have the snatchy throtle and i ride offroad more below 5,000 rpm than above so i don't see the advantage.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #22
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
I'm not sure that that would truely be an advantage for offroad then you'd have the snatchy throtle and i ride offroad more below 5,000 rpm than above so i don't see the advantage.
Getting the fuel mixture properly adjusted should take care of that. PC-V with Autotune would be a simple solution.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
OPNYD
Bald, old, crabby, & fast

Oddometer: 38
Wink

Did you sell the rear shock/spring? I need to lower my wife's F650 (she has the standard suspension model).
OPNYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #24
"A" OP
numbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRscoob View Post
Lukas has pretty well much given the answer that I would have provided. I purchased this bike with only 1200 km on the clock for a good price. It will still have cost me less than an 800 by the time that I've finished the mods. The suspension is way better than standard and I'll make sure it gets used!
I'm the type of bloke who likes doing this sort of thing and have done so for many years
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #25
"A" OP
numbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPNYD View Post
Did you sell the rear shock/spring? I need to lower my wife's F650 (she has the standard suspension model).
No. I would like to keep the original stuff but would swap the lowered setup for the standard. That would include the seat also
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #26
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,967
Quote:
Now if somebody finally did the cam upgrade to get the same power...

I`ve found, over the years that the smaller or lower powered BMW air or oilhead engines are usually sweeter to ride.

Good idea though `A`, why spend money that you don`t need to if you are replacing the offending bits anyway.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #27
"A" OP
numbum

A bit of a nibble into the "to do list"

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post

LIST OF THINGS TO DO

I have a list of lots more to do-
Heavier fork springs
Bodywork- make a new fake tank, no beak
Upper shock mount fix
Lower the gearing
Protection for lower part of rear shock
Renthal Fatbars or similar
Barkbusters
Mount front ABS disk
Re-upholster seat
Fit a more modern looking front fender
Lighter, narrower muffler
Make some soft pannier racks
Cut off the pillion pegs
Make a headlight protector
Fit a lighter battery

I wonder if all that will actually get done!
When trail riding, overhanging bushes have a tendancy to knock the brake and clutch levers in resulting in unexpected stops and diversions. I made my own solution to the problem from HDPE. It scratches readily but is easy to form. A bit of bush bashing on the weekend was the test that showed they work okay keeping the shrubs at bay (may find their limits when up against a Toyota though).

I retained the bar end weights and made up some aluminium mounts so the setup remains reasonably narrow. Application of heat (permission from wife to use oven reluctantly granted) softened the material enough to bend it around a wooden form.

Mounted on the bars.

I later added some 3mm material to deflect the airstream.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #28
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Wow, nice job! Those really look great.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #29
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

While I can appreciate the work that went into making these, I would really recommend that you get some proper guards with aluminum bars in them. I doubt that the plastic will be strong enough to protect your levers and perches when you drop the bike, let alone your hands if you ever hit a tree. My buddy had Acerbis plastic guards on when he hit a car mirror, now his hand is largely disabled.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #30
"A" OP
numbum

Quote:
While I can appreciate the work that went into making these, I would really recommend that you get some proper guards with aluminum bars in them. I doubt that the plastic will be strong enough to protect your levers and perches when you drop the bike, let alone your hands if you ever hit a tree. My buddy had Acerbis plastic guards on when he hit a car mirror, now his hand is largely disabled.
A fair comment and you may be correct. They seem tough enough to me at 10x35mm cross section and have already passed a crash test and whacked into plenty of shrubbery- hard enough to knock me from one 4wd wheel track into another. When making stuff for yourself everything is a prototype and that is a risk I'm willing to take.