ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #31
gsd4me
90% bluff
 
gsd4me's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 7,135
`A`, are you going to the border this year, with the new beast?
__________________
David Hunn:
R100GS Ray Peake special.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #32
"A" OP
numbum
 
"A"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Albany Western Australia
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
`A`, are you going to the border this year, with the new beast?
Not certain Dave. I would like to as there are interesting ways of getting there using some bush bashing routes that I still havn't taken. Will likely make the decision in a couple of months time.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:53 AM   #33
"A" OP
numbum
 
"A"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Albany Western Australia
Oddometer: 358
Kellogg's Helps

The eating of breakfast cereals is useful in the design process.


My plan has always been to replace this stuff -I'm sure it would be expensive to repair or replace when constantly being damaged by off-road use.


Working out the side panels with cardboard.


The compound curves have been resolved into triangles. I should be able to make the base for the plug out of MDF hot glued together and then build up the details.


Once the MDF is on the idea is to build up the final shape with automotive modelling clay- in this case Chavant P 40.


Then if everything goes well I'll take a mold off it and lay up some side panels from Kevlar and glass. Wish me luck!
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #34
"A" OP
numbum
 
"A"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Albany Western Australia
Oddometer: 358
Replacing Yellow With Orange

This will probably offend both the BMW and KTM fraternity.


The Acerbis fender just happens to be these colours
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #35
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo
 
Captain Beardylocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Birthplace of the Revolution (MA)
Oddometer: 7,420
This is super cool. Can't wait to see how the fairings come out
__________________
Livin' on the road, my friend, was gonna keep you free and clean...
Captain Beardylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #36
smalls325is
RTLW
 
smalls325is's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 82
Just bought a new F650GS and liking this transformation. Can you lay out for me the cost and specific parts/pieces to build the front and rear spoked rims? Im a little lost on which is front and rear parts in the previous articles. Thanks

Have you thought of using carbon fiber from McCallisters. They offer it in sheets.
smalls325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #37
"A" OP
numbum
 
"A"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Albany Western Australia
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls325is View Post
Just bought a new F650GS and liking this transformation. Can you lay out for me the cost and specific parts/pieces to build the front and rear spoked rims? Im a little lost on which is front and rear parts in the previous articles. Thanks

Have you thought of using carbon fiber from McCallisters. They offer it in sheets.
The front wheel I spoked up myself on a second hand KTM hub I had. I bought the spokes and rim from a local shop. The Galfer front rotor from Woodies. Could probably dig up the receipts but the costs would likely be difficult to relate to your location/currency.
The rear wheel including hub, spokes, rim, Galfer disc rotor and sprocket was all supplied by Woodies Wheel Works in the USA. Much cheaper than I could have built up similar here in Australia myself. Check his website and he can give you a quote. Hope that helps.
For the bodywork on my bike I thought I'd use Kevlar for its toughness rather than carbon which is more usefull for providing stiffness. Carbon does look nice though!
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #38
"A" OP
numbum
 
"A"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Albany Western Australia
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks View Post
This is super cool. Can't wait to see how the fairings come out
Cheers, yeah I can't wait either but I think I'm my worst own enemy here. I decided the cardboard mockup didn't look right so drew up an alternative on the computer and then made a new mockup. I think it looks better but if I dare walk down to the workshop now I might change my mind again. better not eh.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #39
MSH
The Salt
 
MSH's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 3,037
__________________
~ BMWF800GS ~

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #40
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Grand Valley, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,639
You will have a hard time to control the cardboard when you get to the clay layup. In case you don`t like what you se at that point..... Some 6mm foam plate will make you smile rather than cursing. It`s great to see a fellow compositor in action.......


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #41
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo
 
Captain Beardylocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Birthplace of the Revolution (MA)
Oddometer: 7,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You will have a hard time to control the cardboard when you get to the clay layup. In case you don`t like what you se at that point..... Some 6mm foam plate will make you smile rather than cursing. It`s great to see a fellow compositor in action.......


Erling
MDF should probably be ok though... I think the idea is just to use cardboard as templates and cut out MDF sections from that, then glue the whole thing up and use the clay to soften the curves. I'd probably have used foam myself, it would probably be fewer steps, but this should work out
__________________
Livin' on the road, my friend, was gonna keep you free and clean...
Captain Beardylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #42
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Grand Valley, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
The front wheel I spoked up myself on a second hand KTM hub I had. I bought the spokes and rim from a local shop. The Galfer front rotor from Woodies. Could probably dig up the receipts but the costs would likely be difficult to relate to your location/currency.
The rear wheel including hub, spokes, rim, Galfer disc rotor and sprocket was all supplied by Woodies Wheel Works in the USA. Much cheaper than I could have built up similar here in Australia myself. Check his website and he can give you a quote. Hope that helps.
For the bodywork on my bike I thought I'd use Kevlar for its toughness rather than carbon which is more usefull for providing stiffness. Carbon does look nice though!
Bullet proof bike..... awesome..... Just a heads up.... You really can`t sand the Kevlar...... Please don`t take it wrong..... I just wanted to share this. I see a lot of people use Kevlar....for what ever reason..... Only to see it destroy`d in the end....because of it`s toughness....


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #43
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Grand Valley, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks View Post
MDF should probably be ok though... I think the idea is just to use cardboard as templates and cut out MDF sections from that, then glue the whole thing up and use the clay to soften the curves. I'd probably have used foam myself, it would probably be fewer steps, but this should work out
Yeppers.... It`s doable..... I guess I`ve gotten used to the simple steps using foam...... Gotta watch this though.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #44
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
can you shape foam with a belt sander to get curves?

I did the mdf route once and it was quite a lot of work.

cheers,
Mark
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #45
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Grand Valley, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
can you shape foam with a belt sander to get curves?

I did the mdf route once and it was quite a lot of work.

cheers,
Mark
Yeppers.... with ease..... The red foam I use from the depot .....as in my CF threads are very strong and suited very nice for this kind of work..... much better than styro foam. Sorry for the hijack..... I do not mean to pick on this method.... It will work....but requires a hole lot more labor....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014