Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #151
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I'm a bit concerned about the breather situation.

If I lay it down and for some reason cant pick it up straight away it could empty a shit load of fuel out before you know it!

I found this which looks like it could be the go.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3555/ROLL-OVER-VALVE-1/4-IN-LINE/product_info.html

what do you think, apart from being expensive

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #152
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
I'm a bit concerned about the breather situation.

If I lay it down and for some reason cant pick it up straight away it could empty a shit load of fuel out before you know it!

I found this which looks like it could be the go.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3555/ROLL-OVER-VALVE-1/4-IN-LINE/product_info.html

what do you think, apart from being expensive
"Valve must be mounted vertically." I wonder how sensitive it is to position. What if you mount it to stop flow at 90* but you only lay it over 60*. Will it still work?

Dave
Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #153
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
"Valve must be mounted vertically." I wonder how sensitive it is to position. What if you mount it to stop flow at 90* but you only lay it over 60*. Will it still work?

Dave
The concept is simply the use of gravity. The manly "two ball" system is basically two bearings that act as stoppers when the unit is in the vertical position (much the same as those units on a gas cap breather tube used on the MX and XC bikes to keep fuel from leaking out when the bike falls over). The gravity part is critical for keeping the system OPEN to allow the air in/out when needed to balance the pressure. When tipped over, the fuel flow should push the balls the other direction and into the stopper to cut off (or dramatically reduce) the fuel flow out of the breather. So they don't have to be a perfect 90* to work, but horizontally they will not work too well.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #154
Nature
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Thank You Geek...
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #155
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,025
So I got it in my head that I want my skid plate black and not that silver-etched black that black dog powder coats it with.

Why? I dunno. I'm an idiot. The black dog finish makes much more sense as it hides scratches and dents well.

...after going after it a bit you can see the plethora of impacts it has taken

including the giant dent (bottom of photo - clutch case protection) I put in it when it saved my bacon at Rose Garden hill in Moab last fall If it weren't for this skid plate I would have ripped my clutch cover clean off the bike no doubt.

... I'm not sure how much effort I wanna put into this. Its just going to get torn up anyways. Perhaps after I'm done and have the bike back together my new hobby will be applying touch up paint to my skid plate after every ride

If I had a brain in my head I would have painted the entire bike the same shade of brown as our local dirt.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #156
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post

Dave

Yeah I had the same concerns and emailed them for a schematic to see how it worked.
He said it probably wouldnt work too well at less than 90* but offered up an alternative that uses diaphrams rather than balls. It obviously creates very slight pos or neg pressures but I cant see that as a problem.
It is a bit large, but at the moment I cant see why it cant be mounted below the tank around the engine. Maybe one of you can see a flaw in mounting it below the tank.

Has anyone else come up with a plan on how to fix this problem?

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #157
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
You could bolt up a 1/4" plate of Ultra High Molecular Plastic in black (industrial cutting board) as it'll protect it better and skid/slip better...that's what we are using on our trucks/buggies (in thicker flavor)...0 maintenance

That's what I'll be doing to my bike's skid.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #158
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Yeah I had the same concerns and emailed them for a schematic to see how it worked.
He said it probably wouldnt work too well at less than 90* but offered up an alternative that uses diaphrams rather than balls. It obviously creates very slight pos or neg pressures but I cant see that as a problem.
It is a bit large, but at the moment I cant see why it cant be mounted below the tank around the engine. Maybe one of you can see a flaw in mounting it below the tank.

Has anyone else come up with a plan on how to fix this problem?

Hmmm... what about running the drain all the way up to the top of the back of the windscreen and then putting some sort of pinch valve on it. When you fall over, just reach up and flip the pinch to seal it up until the bike's back on its feet? just thinking out loud
Old 04-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #159
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
just thinking out loud
Thats what we're here for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Hmmm... what about running the drain all the way up to the top of the back of the windscreen and then putting some sort of pinch valve on it. When you fall over, just reach up and flip the pinch to seal it up until the bike's back on its feet?
I thought about that but what if your injured and cant or you're really pissed at binning it and forget for a while.

It would nice to find a automatic solution

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #160
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I threw some primer on this morning.. but the temperature is falling quickly so I think I might wait to paint it until Tuesday.

Got a flat black etching primer but a satin black paint. If I don't like how the satin ends up looking, I might throw another coat of primer OVER the paint

Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #161
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Thats what we're here for

I thought about that but what if your injured and cant or you're really pissed at binning it and forget for a while.

It would nice to find a automatic solution

In my opinion, you're making too big a deal of it, and adding a part that could cause you issues down the line, be it small and annoying or semi-catastrophic.

I T'd my vents, up above the speedo, then ran the combined leg all the way down the side of left side of the motor, and out under the skid plate and back to the center stand pivot area. No filter, no fuss. I've honestly had my bike upside down, like on the handlebars and taillight only, for over an hour, and I didn't lose a significant amount o fuel. Technically, that's cheating, because once both vents are submersed, no fuel's going to leak out anyway due to a lack of venting, but the fuel you're losing is insignificant. You can keep track of it by looking at any puddles you might leave.

If you run a 1 way valve like that, you'd have less invested in the experiment by just grabbing one of the dinky ones guys use on dirtbikes.

On the other hand, you could plug both vents, and run generic acerbis caps with stubby vent tubes on both. I just advise you to play around and report what you find. If you have any issues with stuttering, or surging, take it easy and pull the vent restriction off, because you're starving your fuel pump.
2004 KTM 525 exc
2006 Beta Rev3
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #162
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,271
Crappy cell photo.

I was on a thin sandy steep sided single track on my own and fell just before a very steep sandy hill. I had to turn/drag the bike around after this fall to back up a bit to get a decent run-up to the hill. The bike lost very little fuel in all the dragging and sweating.

I agree that adding roll-over valves just makes things complicated. Just have the venting pipes as per XDBX says - T'd at the highest point behind the clocks and then run the pipe down low. That's the way I have mine.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #163
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Kamanya thanks for taking the trouble to go out and test my theories

OK I'll go with you guys' plumbing sugestion and see how it goes. I've got better things to do than research and build shit that doesnt need fixing.

Cheers

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #164
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Question: A B C D E or F ?

Option A = stock - and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get that sticker off - which means I'd end up sanding the entire thing and spraying it with black paint - huge pain the arse

Option B = SOLAS tape - like police car tape - white normally - super white under light

without flash:

with flash:

Option C = 4" wide reflective "black" tape
without flash

with flash

Option D = 2" wide reflective "black" tape
without flash

with flash

Option E = 1" wide reflective "black" tape - 2 stripes maybe?
without flash

with flash

Option F: -yellow black striped reflective tape
without flash

with flash

which also happens to match the current stripes on my pelican (which I'll change up to match whatever I decide...)

I'm trying not to be a hypocrite. When we bought Cheryl's black F650 I went and spent a couple hundred bucks on various reflective tapes so I could make her more visible at night. Then I go out and black my bike out so that at night I pretty much disappear

Any opinions?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #165
924sas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
i would go for the yellow-black... as you have it also on the luggage-logo!
924sas is offline   Reply With Quote