ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #271
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,861
Ahhh gotcha must be the D rings, I spotted them in the first pic up top with your bike on the ramp. Do they just come with the Wolfman bags or can you source separately? I'm thinking of using soft bags for my trip to Morocco later on in the year. I've got some Kreiga bags and looks like I'd be able to fasten them on with the D rings.

The carabener clips is a good idea too. I might follow suit and get a couple.

Cheers for the reply
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #272
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,784
They are a strap that is 8" or so long of double sided velcro with the d-ring sewn in. Works great because you just wrap it where ever you need it and you end up with a d-dring (and its strong enough you could probably lift the bike with it).

They come with the wolfman saddle bags.. but I got a second set of them last time I was over there.

You can order them straight from the wolfman website:

http://wolfmanluggage.com/Accessorie...ack_mount.html

Oh, and here is the things I used on the pelican for mounting the Rollie's btw (someone was asking.. I just spotted them when looking for the d-rings for Gav):

http://wolfmanluggage.com/Accessorie...lster_kit.html

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #273
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,861
Thanks Ed. I'll be ordering some next payday.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #274
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I need to backfill a little data into this thread again... I'm going to take my "Review: Highway Dirtbikes "big bike" kit for the 950." post information and insert it here for the sake of congruency; as I have some changes coming that are going to impact my HDB installation:

Feb, 2010:

In the following review I'm going to show my installation of the www.highwaydirtbikes.com new "big bike kit" on my 950. Highway Dirtbikes (HDB) makes a set of hand guards that cleverly incorporate the mirrors into the hand guards making them virtually indestructible. The guards have matured into an "adventure system" which incorporates many features beyond just the hand guards / mirrors. You can even get integrated turn signals, etc if you are installing them on a dirtbike to turn it into a dual sport.

One of my personal pet peeves with any bike that is going to be used offroad is the way they mount the stock mirrors. On my 610, the right-hand stock mirror screws straight in to the Brembo rear brake reservoir. I don't know what genius thought that was a good idea.. but I have no desire to snap my reservoir off my handlebars when I break a mirror

The 950 is even worse:

In an accident your right mirror can break off your brake reservoir...

...and your left can break off your clutch reservoir.

No good.

In the past I've used various solutions like the (horrible) plastic bolt on acerbis mirrors and the worm-clamp mounted dual star mirrors both of which solve the stock mirror issue but neither of which let you see very much behind you. The HDB setup solves both issues.

I already have the HDB setup on my Husky TE610 and love it. I installed it almost a year ago now. The mirrors work well and they can take a beating (I have even back flipped my 610 with the system and the mirrors just fold themselves in on impact).

In this photo of my 610 you can see the mirrors safely folded in to the guards:

In this photo of me on the 610 you can see the mirrors folded out. The fact that they pivot out beyond the end of your handlebar means they are out past your arms and elbows so you have an unobstructed view behind you:

The mirrors both pivot (in and out) and fold (rearward on impact).

When Paul told me he was coming out with a new big bike kit for the 950s and GSs, I ordered a set without hesitation. The big bike kit has bigger beefier frame work in the guards.

He called me today and told me my kit was ready and I ran over and picked it up. The kit includes (plus a bunch of hardware):

In my case I've had the following upgrades added over the basic guards:
-two power outlet mounts built into my top mount
-3.5" total height risers (taller than stock)
-custom engraving with my name on the top mount
-billet remote control mount platform for my ipod/iphone wireless remote
-black anodizing of all parts to match my sexy mistress

The top clamp also features 4 switch mount holes where I'm going to wire in my off/on switches for my electrics, etc.

So tonight when I got home I started pulling things apart.

In about 10 minutes I had it looking like this. After pulling off the stock handguards and the GPS mount I put down some towels to protect the fairing and pulled off the glove box lid to protect it from me slipping with a wrench and scratching it. Then I basically undid all of the handle bar housings and then slid the bars out of the throttle tube (since the throttle cables weren't long enough to allow removing the tube off the end of the bar in its stock location).

The only part of disassembly that remains is removing the stock bar risers. The problem is I've gotta figure out how to get a socket onto the bottom of the triple clamp to hold the nut while I turn the bolts... then I can begin reassembly.

Notes:

1) I apologize for the crappy iphone pics... it doesn't do macro very well or photos of "black things" very well so I've tried to hold things up and get some light on them (my garage lights aren't the best either)

2) I'm going to post the photos in smaller size because I tend to post lots of pics.. if you want to view the full size pics you can browse my smug mug:
http://topgeek.smugmug.com/Adventure...18-Installing/

3) ...of course you don't have to take the bike "this apart" to install the HDB system.

----

So as I mentioned.. I was looking forward to pulling the bike apart "more than I have to" just to see what is inside

I have to say I'm pretty impressed by the neatness of the wiring job/layout that the KTM engineers did. Husqvarna could learn a thing or two from them. That said, the KTM engineers could learn something from Husqvarna: I can take my entire 610 apart with a single 8mm socket wrench. I must have had to use a half dozen different tools to pull the KTM apart this far...

I know one of those set of wire connectors runs off of ACC1 (always hot) and one runs off ACC2 (ignition hot)... anyone know the color coding off the top of their heads?

I assume this fuel tank vent hose design is standard where it loops up through the fairing and then drops down out the bottom? I'll have to remember if I ever do a stream crossing deeper than the headlight that I'll probably have water in my gas

So as suggested it was easy to remove the lower risers with the fairings off using some extensions:

... and that allowed me to complete the removal of the stock risers.

Et Voila!
(that's a joke for Dan Alexander whom I used to ride with in Montreal 17 years ago ):

I received some requests for detailed photos so I photographed them at every angle I could think of so here comes more than you ever wanted to know about how the system works :

Mirror in billet handguard frame - extended and retracted:

Mirror in frame - extended and retracted from back:

How the mirror "folds" back and forth if impacted while extended:

Mirror extended with shield on (Shields come in black or white):

Mirror retracted with shield on:

In that last photo you can see "dimples" in the top right corner of the shield - these are where the optional LED turn signals mount if you want them.

Here is the hardware I mentioned yesterday, the threaded inserts go in your bar ends. BTW, the guards, clamps, etc are all machined billet 6061-T6 and everything is pre-tapped so that the hardware bolts right in cleanly.

I'm going to put this photo in large so it shows you how the system goes together. The kit comes with a tap so that you thread the end of your handlebar (I'll post photos in next update of doing it) and then the insert threads into your bar and the guard bolts into the insert (i.e. this system is secure and not going to move around). The other end of the guard bolts to a billet block... there are two mounting holes (high and low) depending on the fit you want, and the end of the guard is slotted to allow for adjustment. That billet block is bolted to the top of your bar risers. As I mentioned before mine have a bunch of extra holes because I asked for two power outlet holders and I have 4 switch mounts (which will also show up later in the install):

Here is the custom engraving I mentioned.. I'm going to color in the lettering with something or other (?)

...and here is how the bike sits now waiting for me to start re-assembly:

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #275
Geek OP
oot & aboot

again I apologize for the crappy photos. I'm going to post the photos in smaller size again and if you want to view the full size pics you can browse my smug mug: http://topgeek.smugmug.com/Adventure...91540030_siJfd

I'm 6 foot tall and I stand up most of the time when I ride off road. I want my bars to be about an inch taller than stock for standing comfort.

Here are the stock lower risers with my risers behind:

...and then just for comparison, if you were really tall you can get taller risers. My 610's risers are significantly taller like the riser on the right. On my 950 I'll be installing the one in the middle:

Allow me to digress a minute about why HDB calls this an "Adventure System". The idea behind it is that there are a variety of pieces and components you can add to your system so that you can set your bike up how you want it. When you dual sport a dirtbike, besides mirrors you don't have some basic things like switches, switch mounts, etc that you need for things like turn signals, headlights, etc.

In our 950s case, we have all the standard running gear but this same system can be used for other things

I was a bit weary about the idea of cutting holes in my (expensive) KTM fairings to mount switches and the like; I know many here have done so and have done a good job but I wasn't looking forward to it. Then I realized that I could use some of the HDB perches to do all the switch work I could ever want. Here is an example of one of the perches I have mounted on my Husky... I use it and the two switches for controlling my 610s heated grips:

So looking at that photo.. the stock two (gold colored) screws that mount the clutch lever on go through a (black) billet perch mount that HDB makes which is shaped like a "letter C". The red and black rubber push buttons are mounted into that billet perch and are push-button switches that turn my hand grips off/on/high/low.

Here's another photo where you can see how the billet perch is actually shaped so that it wraps perfectly around the handlebar replacing the stock "lever clamp" piece and then holds the switches:

The switches themselves are pretty cool.. they are sealed (water proof) and the rubber caps (come in black or red) screw on to them. They are all of a standard size that works with the HDB perches and with the HDB top clamp

As well as the billet perch design you saw on my Husky above, HDB also has a perch available that is in a horizontal layout that can be mounted off of any horizontal vertical screw mounting. You can mount them off of your stock mirrors screw holes for example. I screwed them into the switch housing just for demonstration purposes in these photos:

...again the entire perch is billet including the mounting arm - very very strong.

Depending on your needs you can mount one switch + a "hole cap" .. or two switches as you saw above:

The hole covers are little press in caps that fill up the empty unused holes - they come in a single or double.

Here you can see where I used a double cap to fill in the top two empty holes in my top clamp:

It definitely gives things a nice finished look.

So here is my top clamp as it looks now with 4 switches mounted and one powerlet mounted:

A personal note on my power outlet preferences: when I'm buying them for use "while riding" I always spend the extra money and buy the actual brand name ones that have the "stays popped open and snaps closed" lids. KTM sells them as a KTM branded as well as BMW. The ones I avoid are the cheap knock offs with the "tethered cap" as opposed to the spring loaded cap.
Powerlet lid stays up on its own:

It makes it much easier to plug stuff in with one hand while riding.

Two other random thoughts:
This is brilliant. Why doesn't every bike have a freakin' chain holder built into the guard? Bravo KTM

...and yes, I dropped a bolt into the bike when trying to put the risers on. I didn't mind because it gave me a chance to open up my skid plate and take a look at the infamous fuel pump

I didn't realize there is a fuse down there on that sucker.. good to know.

Question: My Big Dog skid plate will not actually hinge down with the bike on the center stand. These seams like a pretty big inconvenience to me. Is it designed this way on purpose? (i.e. should I not go and cut two slots in the back of it so it can hinge around the center stand when down?)

Here is the tap that comes with the kit:

Here is how you can cut the threads (easier if you own a t-handle)

I dunno what the recommendations are but I'm using red threadlock on the threaded insert and blue on the bolt.

The brown truck just stopped by again

I used red loctite on the threaded inserts and then blue loctite on the hand guard's bolts.

Bolted up the guard and then mounted the mirror in the guard

put the shield on

Got the powerlet wired up and the heated grip controller installed

Got the remote control perch mounted and removed the switches (didn't have time to wire them up yet so I put the plugs in for now)

et Voila!
(sorry for crappy iphone pics)

I really like how it cleans the bike up. Not only do the mirrors work great but the bike looks so much cleaner without the "big mirror stalks". Personal preference and I'm very happy with the overall appearance.

Lots of random pics of what the bike looks like mirrors in and out:

...and the clean lines of the bike with the HDB mirrors are really exaggerated in this photo when you compare with d-trains bike because he has the tall mirror stalks with a short windscreen

How do they work?

GREAT. But I already knew that because I have had them for a year on my Husqvarna. The mirrors being out past your hands/elbows gives you an unobstructed view behind you and they have "just a hint" of convex to them so that you have a wide clear view.

...and of course you can tuck them away when offroad.. but even if you don't and you drop the bike they'll fold up out of harms way on their own

I am very pleased with the location of the powerlet. Very convenient on the riser.. and the remote for my tunes is so much easier to reach mounted on the bars instead of having to lean/reach forward to the dashboard.

I'm also happy with the length of riser I installed (the smaller of the two - still 1" taller than stock). I'm comfortable sitting down and standing up my elbows are loose and comfortable. I'm 6' tall and have fairly long arms. I don't know that I'd like the taller ones as much as when sitting my hands would be higher up and blood flow could be an issue.

That's my review.

I hope it has helped some of you decide whether this is a product you'd like or not.

cheers,
Edward

p.s. Someone asked is there "less turbulence" without the mirrors. I think there is, yes, but no, it doesn't solve the "turbulence problem". If you wanna experience the wind-noise difference, take your mirrors off and go for a ride...

...and that brings us back to 2012

...and the current state of the bike:

Sorry for any confusion

Geek screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 02:31 PM
Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #276
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,217
Has the poor Husky even been ridden since you got the KTM?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #277
Geek OP
oot & aboot

A few times.. but it is for sale (if I ever get time to pursue it). I need to find something lighter for tighter single track (I think I'll pick up the new KTM500). The 950 will do 75% of what the Husky will. I need something more the other side...

Even worse is the R90.. I don't think I've ridden it in over a year

Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #278
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
... take a look at the infamous fuel pump

I didn't realize there is a fuse down there on that sucker.. good to know.
Looks like starter relay to me
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #279
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Yes, sorry. That post was cut/paste from a couple of years ago when I'd first gotten the bike and didn't know it very well.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #280
seppami
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Side Question: Has anyone found a good source for pelican-case "pluck it" foam?

My local pelican dealer charged me $40 for the replacement foam for my Pelican 1450 (ouch). I want to say I've paid $18 in the past. I won't be visiting that dealer again.
I needed a second set for the NEX-5 Camera (my regular foam is setup for my laptop for work).

I love the pelican 1450 but I sure don't fancy paying $40 every time I need foam

I'm just starting to arrange things for this summer's adventures

I would like to see the latest version of your peli case DSLR carriage setup. I am thinking how to carry NEX-5 and lenses and this peli case seems very good. I used to carry my camera in tank bag, but for next trips I thought to live tank bag home.
seppami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #281
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'll grab a pic when I'm in the garage next. I have two sets of foam I use.. one for camera stuff and one for laptop stuff.

I since purchased the 18-200 lense for the NEX so had to expand the camera area quite a bit.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #282
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,748
Been enjoying this thread, and every time I read it I start digging into the couch cushions to find 20 or so grand to build something like this.

Great job- maybe some day for me....

I have a particular dislike for the pluck-and-pull foam in any camera case. The foam eventually becomes brittle and sheds little tiny tiny pieces like sand. I once had to pay for a Hasselblad system to be CLA'd after that stuff worked it's way into the body, backs and lenses.

They offer the plush divider system (not sure that's the name) that drops right in- I'd use that, and I believe it's reconfigurable.

Now I have to ask the question I hate when asked by others- what camera/lens are you using? You have a great wide-angle and it's my secret hope you have a point-and-shoot that creates RAW files and has a high-quality wide angle lens that has a screw mount on the end for a polarizer.

A guy can hope, right?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #283
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Yes, sorry. That post was cut/paste from a couple of years ago when I'd first gotten the bike and didn't know it very well.
Okie, didn't read the intro last night - my bad. Sorry for bringing it up
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #284
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
I'll grab a pic when I'm in the garage next. I have two sets of foam I use.. one for camera stuff and one for laptop stuff.

I since purchased the 18-200 lense for the NEX so had to expand the camera area quite a bit.
I also purchased this camera specifically to carry on the bike. Although I use the 16mm for the majority of my photos, I have the 18-200 as well. Got to wonder what the Sony engineers were thinking when they chose not to put a tripod mount on such a large lens for so tiny of a camera!

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #285
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Been enjoying this thread, and every time I read it I start digging into the couch cushions to find 20 or so grand to build something like this.

Great job- maybe some day for me....

I have a particular dislike for the pluck-and-pull foam in any camera case. The foam eventually becomes brittle and sheds little tiny tiny pieces like sand. I once had to pay for a Hasselblad system to be CLA'd after that stuff worked it's way into the body, backs and lenses.

They offer the plush divider system (not sure that's the name) that drops right in- I'd use that, and I believe it's reconfigurable.

Now I have to ask the question I hate when asked by others- what camera/lens are you using? You have a great wide-angle and it's my secret hope you have a point-and-shoot that creates RAW files and has a high-quality wide angle lens that has a screw mount on the end for a polarizer.

A guy can hope, right?
It is a Sony NEX5. It is small like a point and shoot but has a full-sized APS-C sensor and interchangable lenses.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

PS-RagE screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 03:18 PM
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote