Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #346
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Who's Javier?

My Renazco needs to be re-foamed (worn out) and I don't fancy another 6 month wait...
I think Javier did his suspension...... not his seat.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #347
jay71
Farklin' Poser

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Who's Javier?

My Renazco needs to be re-foamed (worn out) and I don't fancy another 6 month wait...
How about Bitchin' Stitchin' in Lakewood? I hear good things.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #348
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,002
I think I might give them a try.. I'm hoping they can peal my cover, re-foam it, and put the cover back on?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #349
jay71
Farklin' Poser

Oddometer: 316
From what I've heard he's pretty flexible- I'd be surprised if he wasn't able to accommodate you. Let us know how it comes out if you go that route- there are probably a bunch of us with Renazcos that will be looking for a local, quick fix at some point. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #350
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay71 View Post
How about Bitchin' Stitchin' in Lakewood? I hear good things.

I've used Dan and his boys at Bitchn' Stitchn' on 3 saddles now... my Adv. being the most-recent. Dan knows his stuff and you'll be happy with the work his shop does.
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #351
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Reassembly begins today

I spent the past 24 hours with my eyes closed (post eye surgery) so I'm itching to get after this thing.
Most of the parts are here (although I'm sure I'll find some stuff I forgot).

Does anyone know when you go from 210mm to 265mm in your suspension - do the brake cables & speedo cable still reach?

It is 80 degrees here in Colorado today.. I should have had this done weeks ago.

Lots of pics & info to come.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #352
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Re: Saddles.

Thanks for all the input on seats gents.

I have a new saddle inbound from Renazco.. it is something "new and different" and very well might solve the only complaint people have about Renazco seats (the waiting list...)

I'll post up lots of photos and details when it arrives.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #353
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,584
Hey Geek, just did the same fork conversion...I'll be ordering new brake cables. The right one probably doesn't need changing but the left certainly does. Both of mine are due for replacement anyways due to 8 years of rubbing so I'm ordering a set,

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #354
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'm going to be a good boy today.. actually get out the torque wrench and do all bolts to specified torques (er.. probably).

The service manual being on the computer makes life easy

Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #355
Geek OP
oot & aboot

My workshop is a bit out of control... just too many projects on the go and the poor 950 has been stuck right in the middle of it all while I've been building out the Adventure Van's interior as well as breaking in the new stablemate.

I know I'm supposed to better organize when I disassemble. Sometimes I take the effort and indvidually bag parts and label them with a marker, etc... but I didn't really think about how far I was going to disassemble this thing when I started so I didn't go quite that far.

I did try and use tupper wear bins for different sub-assemblies... I hope that helps.

Whining aside.. its 80 degrees here in Colorado today and I should be out riding.. not wrenching so I better hop to it....
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #356
Geek OP
oot & aboot

First Up:

preface: I'm sure most here are familiar with this item.. but I'll explain for those who don't (in continuation of the "welcome n00bs" mindet from our welcome new owner's thread).

CJ Designs KTM LC8 Clutch Cover

Peace of mind!

Sure it looks cool and is full of bling.. but the main reason I'm installing this is peace of mind. Now I can tell if my waterpump shaft is leaking coolant into my oil and know it is time to redo the shaft/seal. Important peace of mind when in the back country far from home.

i.e. I can see this occur without disassembly (photo borrowed from Crashmaster ) in this thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...h#post14365641

Installation is quick and easy. Step by Step:

New Owner Tip: Go out to your bike right now with a 13 mm socket, remove the two nuts that hold your exhaust header on and put anti-seize on them and then snug them back up. You'll thank yourself a few years from now. Note: The factory manual specifies the following for the tension on these bolts: "evenly, do not bend sheet metal" as opposed to giving a Nm specification.

First I removed my brake lever. Not sure if you technically have to but it just makes things easier not having it in the way. You remove it by putting a 13mm socket on the back and with an allen key.

Next you need to be able to remove your old clutch cover. The real issue is that one bolt is blocked by your exhast header for the front cylinder

Around to the front.. there are the two nuts I need to loosen (I anti seized mine a few years ago so it was easy)

You don't need to remove them.. just loosen them out to the ends of the thread like so:

This will give your exhaust pipe enough play that you can lift it and get an 8mm socket in to remove that top bolt

Remove all the bolts (TIP: when I remove clutch covers I lay the bolts out on a rag i the pattern they go in.. that way its easy to know which bolt goes where. With the 950 it is no big issue as only one bolt is different but I've had other bikes that have had 4 or 5 bolt lengths ) If I am going to have the clutch cover off for a while I draw a diagram on a scrap of paper.

...and the cover easily pulls off (note: my bike has no oil in it at the moment)

Here's the old cover and the new cover...

The o-ring needs to be carefully removed from the old cover (it comes out pretty easy, just be patient)

...and transferred to the new cover. Note the o-ring is "keyed". It only fits one way - I'm pointing to the one bolt that does not have a dimple like the others

...seat the o-ring all the way around

Slip the cover on and finger tighten all the bolts

Get out the torque wrench and set it at 10nm

This is NOT much force. This is the reason I try and use the torque wrench on things like clutch covers, fork pinch bolts, etc.. because there is way less force specified than my normal "snug it up" force I use. It keeps me from over tightening.

Re-tighten your exhaust header bolts and you are done!

Looks sharp

Geek screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 10:53 AM
Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #357
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Wow there is a lot to do.

I think I'm going to break this into two sub projects.. I'm going to ignore the carbs/engine and get her running.. go play with the suspension/20mm offset/damping, etc a bit and then get back after it.

I bopped around from piece to piece today trying to see what was going to work and what wasn't going to work.

Dirtbro dropped by with Amira. She makes a great supervisor exclaiming "BIKE!" whenever she hears an engine start

...apparently she figured out early on that I was going to have brake line issues...

While Casey was here he helped me get the rear suspension mounted back up.
Basically I beat the swingarm with a mallet while prying with a long screwdriver and he inserted the bolt being careful not to lose it inside the swingarm.

Appreciate your help brother

Speaking of suspension...

When you get your suspension lenghtened from 210mm to 265mm... these are the bits that get changed out

...this is the difference in spring length

...and you need a side stand this much longer
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #358
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'm out of time for today.. here's a few random photos from stuff to come:

Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #359
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quickquestion for anyone that has done a 210 to 265 conversion... am I correct in that:

my speedo cable is plenty long
I need to source a left brake cable
I can take the loop out of my right brake cable & be fine

?

Thanks in advance

Random photo to remind me it is going to be worth all this effort
Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #360
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
huh

Quote:
Re: Saddles.

Thanks for all the input on seats gents.

I have a new saddle inbound from Renazco.. it is something "new and different" and very well might solve the only complaint people have about Renazco seats (the waiting list...)

I'll post up lots of photos and details when it arrives.

did you pull some strings or what? So what is the wait time going to be now for the rest of the world?
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote