Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r View Post
You could try one of these. http://www.magellangps.com/Products/...ucts/toughcase
It will protect your phone from the elements and increase battery life as well as make it a better GPS. I am not sure about your mounting options as they only appear to have a automotive mount for it. This would at least provide external power and you might be able to modify the mount to make it work on your bike.
I have one for my iPod Touch and I really like it.
This looks to be a winner actually. You would, like you said, just have to figure out how the heck to mount it to the motorcycle though.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninthlord View Post
Don't overthink this.
The shirtless one is correct, but then, you may also want to give this some thought:

The Magellan case may solve your water intrusion problem, but assuming you can find some way of mounting it, it won't do anything to solve your vibration problem unless this chimerical mount provides some dampening like the Touratech offering.

While the Magellan case does "double" the battery time, that still leaves you with a dead iPhone after two hours. I don't know about your riding style, but I often do two hours before breakfast when I'm touring.

You won't able to download and install alternate maps (topos, etc.), or other rider's GPS tracks, or plan routes on your home computer. So the iPhone may give you a pretty good idea of where you are (for two hours), it won't give you much else, like the best way (shortest, fastest, most scenic) to get to where you want to go.

I use the Navigon app on my iPhone (in my car), and it does a pretty good job of routing and has a fair selection of POIs, but it doesn't hold a candle to the maps and data I have in my dedicated Garmin 276C. Navigon has zero info about dirt roads, for instance, whereas the Garmin shows roads that may not even exist in meatspace.

I also us the MotionX app (on my bicycle), but it isn't much good for anything but pin pointing your location, giving you your average speed, and keeping track of where you've been. Oh, and sending your location to friends on Facebook.

So what will you be able to use the iPhone for? Routing yourself to work on your commute?

Don't get me wrong, I love gadgets. I bought the very first 128K Mac back in 1984, and have owned a passel of them since. I stood in line all day for the first iPhone. Few things give me more pleasure than the latest electronic device.

But most tools are suited for a few specific purposes, and using an iPhone as your primary GPS on a motorcycle seems like a little of the "if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail" syndrome.

And it sounds like something Ned Ludd would do.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
The shirtless one is correct, but then, you may also want to give this some thought:

The Magellan case may solve your water intrusion problem, but assuming you can find some way of mounting it, it won't do anything to solve your vibration problem unless this chimerical mount provides some dampening like the Touratech offering.

While the Magellan case does "double" the battery time, that still leaves you with a dead iPhone after two hours. I don't know about your riding style, but I often do two hours before breakfast when I'm touring.

You won't able to download and install alternate maps (topos, etc.), or other rider's GPS tracks, or plan routes on your home computer. So the iPhone may give you a pretty good idea of where you are (for two hours), it won't give you much else, like the best way (shortest, fastest, most scenic) to get to where you want to go.

I use the Navigon app on my iPhone (in my car), and it does a pretty good job of routing and has a fair selection of POIs, but it doesn't hold a candle to the maps and data I have in my dedicated Garmin 276C. Navigon has zero info about dirt roads, for instance, whereas the Garmin shows roads that may not even exist in meatspace.

I also us the MotionX app (on my bicycle), but it isn't much good for anything but pin pointing your location, giving you your average speed, and keeping track of where you've been. Oh, and sending your location to friends on Facebook.

So what will you be able to use the iPhone for? Routing yourself to work on your commute?

Don't get me wrong, I love gadgets. I bought the very first 128K Mac back in 1984, and have owned a passel of them since. I stood in line all day for the first iPhone. Few things give me more pleasure than the latest electronic device.

But most tools are suited for a few specific purposes, and using an iPhone as your primary GPS on a motorcycle seems like a little of the "if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail" syndrome.

And it sounds like something Ned Ludd would do.

David
Good points here.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
I've tried to get a response to this in the GPS forum...

I downloaded MotionX, but when I use it the movement of my position is, for lack of a better term, jumpy. It is not a continual smooth motion across the map. I've checked settings and even preloaded maps. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I have a Garmin Oregon and a Ram mount for the 800, which works fine, but I wouldn't mind having the Iphone set up as well.
Shoot an email to MotionX ?
I have found them very responsive!

JRWooden screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 12:19 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Garmin and Magellan both have apps now for the iPhone that would appear to make it function as well as a dedicated GPS unit. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmi...411462555?mt=8 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magel...339245236?mt=8 I haven't tried them myself as they are quite expensive. They would be cheaper than buying a new GPS though. I prefer to use a dedicated GPS device, but it would be nice to be able to consolidate all gadgets into one unit. I think the iPhone and similar phones are starting to come close. I hate having to deal with multiple gadgets and their associated chargers when I am on trip someplace.
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #21
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r View Post
Garmin and Magellan both have apps now for the iPhone that would appear to make it function as well as a dedicated GPS unit. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmi...411462555?mt=8 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magel...339245236?mt=8 I haven't tried them myself as they are quite expensive. They would be cheaper than buying a new GPS though. I prefer to use a dedicated GPS device, but it would be nice to be able to consolidate all gadgets into one unit. I think the iPhone and similar phones are starting to come close. I hate having to deal with multiple gadgets and their associated chargers when I am on trip someplace.
The Garmin app requires 3G or Edge connectivity. Instead of downloading/saving maps it pulls as you go which makes it useless outside of cell coverage.
JoeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
The Garmin app requires 3G or Edge connectivity. Instead of downloading/saving maps it pulls as you go which makes it useless outside of cell coverage.
That would make it pretty much useless for me as I tend to travel outside of cell coverage. I am not certain, but the Magellan app might actually install maps to your iPhone.
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #23
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I am working with coming up with a mount for the Driod X. I wound up purchasing a Otter Box Defender Case. It came with a holster that I am planning on mounting to a motorcross handle bar support. This should cover me on the mountings side. As for the wet side- If it is a down pour. I will alway be carrying extra zip-lock baggies. Of course I have been known to hunt in the rain with trashbash under neath my camo too.

Improvise!
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #24
dr..jones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thumb clarification...

So there is quite a bit of misunderstanding about what the iPhone can and can't do as a GPS. I hope I can clarify and answer any additional questions (I work for a popular electronics retailer).

#1: Battery life
It is correct, that with the screen at full brightness, and GPS tracking running, the battery life will only last for about 2-3 hours. However, it is VERY easy to run power from your battery to your iPhone. You can even use your accessories outlet, get a BMW outlet to USB, then plug your standard iPhone cable from the USB to your phone. Bam, unlimited power all day long. If you don't want to power the device through your battery, the GPS running the background does not run the battery down as quickly as having the screen on all the time. I have a bluetooth receiver on my helmet that is paired to the iPhone, it prompts me when a turn is coming through the headphones without ever needing to look down at the GPS, unless I want to. Also the unit can give your turn by turn directions WHILE playing music, which is also pretty cool. You can check it out here http://www.senabluetooth.com

#2: Needing data coverage
It is correct that to use the built in "maps" app you need either Wifi or 3G coverage. Not that helpful for a long trip off the beaten path. However, there are a BUNCH of apps in the App Store that do exactly what you want. When you have coverage (aka before you leave home) you pick your maps and download those maps directly to the device. The GPS in the phone does not need data coverage to work and puts your location right on top of the maps. I have done geocaching backpacking and riding in the middle of nowhere all off of my iPhone. The key is getting an App that will allow you to preload the maps. While there are many available I like GPS Kit (http://www.gpskit.garafa.com/GPS_Kit/Overview.html) because you can download the maps ahead of time as well as upload tracks from GPX files directly to the device.

#3: Mounting
While there are a few mounting options out there, not all of them are great. I am currently using a mount by Arkon (http://www.compuplus.com/Arkon-Sm032...e-1167547.html). I chose it for the following reasons:
-Cheap! ($15)
-Weather resistant
-Already has a spot at the bottom to fit the charging cable through
-You can use it inside the case through the front plastic
-It's large enough to be able to get your iPhone into it while still leaving your iPhone in your current case
-The ball mount gives you adjustability
-The stiff foam backing inside the case offers good vibration dampening
-Zips shut securely, you don't have to worry about your phone flying off

I hope all that helps! Let me know if you have any specific questions that I can help with about iPhone, iTunes, Apps or anything Apple related.
dr..jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #25
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,200
Thanks for the info about GPSkit, Dr. That's the best GPS app I've seen for the iPhone for our kind of riding, and I hadn't stumbled across it. Finding stuff in the App Store can be an exercise in frustration.

I can't tell if it has auto-routing on roads. I use this feaure a lot when I've gotten myself good and stuck somewhere, and need to find my way back out to a highway or town without having to backtrack along the route I came in. This appears to have only direct, i.e., line-of-sight routing.

I also can't tell if there's any way to do route planning on my desktop computer. Right now I'm researching a trip along the old Pony Express trail through eastern and central Nevada, and I'm using the lat and long coordinates of the old PE stations to cobble together a route along present day dirt roads. Is there any way to do that with GPS kit?

The mount you mentioned would seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the iPhone safe from water and vibration. Doesn't get many style points, though.

Interesting info. But I think that I'll stick with my dedicated GPS. There's a lot to be said for using the right tool for the job rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
dr..jones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Thanks for the info about GPSkit, Dr. That's the best GPS app I've seen for the iPhone for our kind of riding, and I hadn't stumbled across it. Finding stuff in the App Store can be an exercise in frustration.

I can't tell if it has auto-routing on roads. I use this feaure a lot when I've gotten myself good and stuck somewhere, and need to find my way back out to a highway or town without having to backtrack along the route I came in. This appears to have only direct, i.e., line-of-sight routing.

I also can't tell if there's any way to do route planning on my desktop computer. Right now I'm researching a trip along the old Pony Express trail through eastern and central Nevada, and I'm using the lat and long coordinates of the old PE stations to cobble together a route along present day dirt roads. Is there any way to do that with GPS kit?

The mount you mentioned would seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the iPhone safe from water and vibration. Doesn't get many style points, though.

Interesting info. But I think that I'll stick with my dedicated GPS. There's a lot to be said for using the right tool for the job rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

David

Yeah agreed on not being too stylish :-) But definitely functional.

In terms of trip planning, I would use Google Earth and the "create path" tool for trip planning if there was not a GPX file that you wanted upload. Google Earth would allow you to create custom waypoints or tracks on a map, then save them and upload them to your iPhone by using GPX (I think, I haven't actually done the entire process, but in playing with it, it sure looks like it will work.)

Google Earth is one of my favorite tools for trip planning.

"There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle." -My Dad

"Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness." -Ray Bradburry
dr..jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #27
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,832
I'm using the dang near infinitely adjustable Ram universal device mount for my iphone in an Otterbox case. http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-S.../dp/B001QD8Q5Q Works great on the street, sturdy in the dirt. I had the otterbox dremeled so I could plug a hardwired charger in and it stays charged the whole day.

I missed a trick in that I could have made the cord long enough to remove the phone from the cradle to take a pic but....hey. Live and learn. BTW, dry caliche roads render the screen useless in less that 30 minutes.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #28
lilmonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I think I've come up with a solution for my iPhone / bike quandary.

I started with the Techmount and an OtterBox defender. This didn't allow for easy mounting and the case is like a transformer.

Someone suggested the Biologic iPhone4 case. Amazon has been out of stock for a bit and it finally popped back up.

See it here:
http://www.thinkbiologic.com/product...mount-iphone-4

The handlebar mount works pretty well, but I might eventually drill some holes and mount it to the techmount. But for now, the quick release and relatively small size makes it easy to grab and go.

I'll get a ride in this weekend. I have Drive X, but GPS Kit has been working better for my navigation style.

Here are some quick pics...

Previous:
2010 BMW F650GS 1989 Honda Transalp 1989 Honda Hawk NT650 1980 Honda Hawk CB400
lilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #29
jwnsc
Hang in there.

Oddometer: 322
Five Gadgets that Will be Dead in Five Years

Guess what #1 is?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-
mindedness." Mark Twain
jwnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #30
DaBen
On the road til furt

Oddometer: 136
I was actually just about to start a thread on this very subject. I am not worried about water since I got this http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/

Awesome runs the Droid 2.2 system and I love it(so far) Just need to find a good sturdy mount to keep it in place.
DaBen is offline   Reply With Quote