Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #16
ToesNose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hey TriumphRider and welcome to the forums =)

Yea they've greatly improved the quality and dependability of the RE's. There are still alot of bikes that are dependable for less money, but they deffinately don't have the personality and classic looks of the C5 for sure If your looking for something to get from point A to B as fast as you can, any RE just isn't a bike you should consider. It's the type of bike you want to feel and enjoy the ride on. LOL it's also not the type of bike you want if you don't enjoy talking to strangers, because you'll be getting alot of questions and comments from people everywhere you go.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
tatsago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph Rider View Post
I have done a lot of research into to New C5. It is a solid motor with very good reviews... HVA's (Hydraulic Valves) and PGM-FI (Fuel Injection). Better suspension and electronics make it much easier to ride and enjoy. I am planning on buying one this year... just need to find a dealer near me that has one instock.
Hi

I picked up a classic 500 a couple of weeks ago. Though these new bikes are a big improvement on the original, they still have a lot of quality and reliability issues. My bike had to go back to the dealer on the first day to fix some charging issues, which was later diagnosed as faulty connector for the rectifier.

The new engine is a lor smoother, and the PGM-FI was needed to meet emission regulations (Euro4 for domestic models and Euro 5 for export models). The frame has been modified to suit the new engine but retains the original single toptube design and you can feel it flexing under you. And of course there are a lot more after market tyre choices available for the 18" rear.

tatsago screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 06:08 AM
tatsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
ToesNose
Adventurer

hey Tatsago welcome to the forums and gratz on the bike!
Are you in Bangalore, India? I was just there afew weeks ago
Sorry to hear you had some problems right out of the gate with the new ride, but I'm sure they'll all get straightened out
Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
I've had my 2011 G5 for less than 2 weeks and have put 860 miles on it so far (Completely broken in per the manual).

My impressions have all been good. I really love the vintage ride and feel of the bike. It was very sluggish for the first 2-300 miles and then it began to "wake up" as they say. I have been commuting on the toll roads and interstate for the past few days and am doing fine. I average 65-68mpg (keep in mind the website's mpg estimates are based on imperial gallons and such).

The oil changes have been easy and I have had to retorque very few bolts since getting the bike.

-Jake
Old 03-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
ToesNose
Adventurer

Very cool YJake!
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your G5
Please keep us posted on it now that she's at the break in point
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
Phacochoerus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard Beast View Post
I have one of those and so far the experience has been positive.I haven't put many miles on it though.Just about 6000 Km in the last one year.It gives me a gas mileage of around 25-30 Km/L.

Maintenance till now:

Regular oil change at 3 monthly interval/3000 Km
Changed rear brake pads at 5500 Km
Changed air filter at 5500 Km
Broken accelerator cable at 5800 Km
Replaced front tire bearings at 5800 Km

This is all I can remember.
Apart from these there were a few niggles here and there which were taken care of by the workshop.

I'll be getting the fork oil and brake fluid changed next week.

I think the export models have better quality control than those for the home market.And you guys get the O2 sensor on the C5 while we don't.

I hope this helps.Anything else you want to know?
My wife and I are planning a trip from Johannesburg South Africa to India Via Mombasa (Kenya) (and airfreighting the bike from Mombasa to India) on the latest 500 Enfield and I am wondering if the ease of getting the bike repaired in India applies to these new Enfields as it is to the old ones. We have done the Mombasa Trip via a different route to the new planned one on our BMW R1200GS but wanted something a little more challenging.
Phacochoerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Boxtriker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
As said it has the classic looks but to me at falls short of the feel of the old one's but then so do Harleys. it's that will i get there and if not can i fix it at the road side. and there allways seem's to be away to get the old classic back on it's feet after a dead motor. sorry but i have to post this my enfield 500 as it's a Royal Enfield Thread
Attached Images

Boxtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I've had my 2011 G5 for less than 2 weeks and have put 860 miles on it so far (Completely broken in per the manual).

My impressions have all been good. I really love the vintage ride and feel of the bike. It was very sluggish for the first 2-300 miles and then it began to "wake up" as they say. I have been commuting on the toll roads and interstate for the past few days and am doing fine. I average 65-68mpg (keep in mind the website's mpg estimates are based on imperial gallons and such).

The oil changes have been easy and I have had to retorque very few bolts since getting the bike.

-Jake

Hey Jake wehre did you get the G5?
Triumph Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
ToesNose
Adventurer

Hey Phacochoerus that sounds like an awsome excursion you're planning out! You said you have the latest 500 Enfield so you'll have a UCE engine, the engine it self shouldn't give you any problems as long as it was broken in properly. Any problems that you encounter you'll have no problem with any of the mechanics being able to fix for sure.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #25
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Holopaw Corvette in Holopaw FL is a central FL dealer. He also sells Urals and has an excellent reputation in the Ural circles. He might even have a Ural St there to compare, as they aren't a lot more than the Enfield and a lot more bike.
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #26
tatsago
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToesNose View Post
hey Tatsago welcome to the forums and gratz on the bike!
Are you in Bangalore, India? I was just there afew weeks ago
Sorry to hear you had some problems right out of the gate with the new ride, but I'm sure they'll all get straightened out
Thanks, Let me know if you come here next time and we could meet up.

I just came back from a 600km round trip to the Nilgiris, which is a mountain range Southwest of Bangalore and had no problems with the bike. I am planning a round trip around through some of the jungles around the Nilgiris, for the last of week of March.

Here are some pictures of the bike

tatsago screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 11:08 AM
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,838
Quote:
I have done a lot of research into to New C5.
Who designed the engine?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #28
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,468
and did they change the main crank bearing design & is that bearing made in India?
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #29
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsago View Post
Hi

I picked up a classic 500 a couple of weeks ago. Though these new bikes are a big improvement on the original, they still have a lot of quality and reliability issues. My bike had to go back to the dealer on the first day to fix some charging issues, which was later diagnosed as faulty connector for the rectifier.

The new engine is a lor smoother, and the PGM-FI was needed to meet emission regulations (Euro4 for domestic models and Euro 5 for export models). The frame has been modified to suit the new engine but retains the original single toptube design and you can feel it flexing under you. And of course there are a lot more after market tyre choices available for the 18" rear.
Hey Tats,

Thanks... Over here I am reading a lot of electrical and fuel issues... are the last of the carbureted models is this true? And you have really nice bike I am truely jealous....
Triumph Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #30
tatsago
Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Tats,

Thanks... Over here I am reading a lot of electrical and fuel issues... are the last of the carbureted models is this true? And you have really nice bike I am truely jealous....
We still get the carbureted 350s in the Indian market, though these are built with the new UCE engine. Incidentally, the resale price for the older standard 350s from the 80s and the the 90s just shot up the last few months. These are still the best Royal Enfields.

tatsago screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 10:26 PM