Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #31
Phacochoerus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToesNose View Post
Hey Phacochoerus that sounds like an awsome excursion you're planning out! You said you have the latest 500 Enfield so you'll have a UCE engine, the engine it self shouldn't give you any problems as long as it was broken in properly. Any problems that you encounter you'll have no problem with any of the mechanics being able to fix for sure.
Hello ToesNose. The bike is identical to yours but black in colour. I am in the early planning stage and always plan rather carefully when accompanied by my wife otherwise just ride off into the sunrise. I intend making the following mods.

1. fit a shorter exhaust. the original protudes past the back tyre and looks likely to get damaged when decending into potholes here in Africa and I am sure in India
2. Fit the Aluminium Panniers and topbox from my R1200GS
3. Fit a backup kickstart if possible
4. Tyres are a problem. The Dualsport Michelin Anackee will fit the front but I have to work out what to do with the rear. Any Ideas?
5. Fit a screen (spoilt by the GS)
6. Fit a front sprung saddle to the rear for my lovely passenger.

Anything I should add to this?
Phacochoerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #32
tatsago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacochoerus View Post
Hello ToesNose. The bike is identical to yours but black in colour. I am in the early planning stage and always plan rather carefully when accompanied by my wife otherwise just ride off into the sunrise. I intend making the following mods.

1. fit a shorter exhaust. the original protudes past the back tyre and looks likely to get damaged when decending into potholes here in Africa and I am sure in India
2. Fit the Aluminium Panniers and topbox from my R1200GS
3. Fit a backup kickstart if possible
4. Tyres are a problem. The Dualsport Michelin Anackee will fit the front but I have to work out what to do with the rear. Any Ideas?
5. Fit a screen (spoilt by the GS)
6. Fit a front sprung saddle to the rear for my lovely passenger.

Anything I should add to this?
Phacochoerus,

You could get the upswept exhaust which is available as an accessory from RE, though I am not sure if you could fit the panniers after you fit that. The bigger issue is the brake pedal touching when you are leaned over even at moderate speeds (on the older Enfields the footpeg would touch first)

I am not sure what do you mean by a backup kickstart, mine came with a kickstart.

Most of the roadside mechanics in India don't know how to work with the electrics on this bike, it would help if you carry a OBD tool for diagnostics, etc.

My 2 cents
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #33
antonac
Commuter

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsago View Post
Phacochoerus,

You could get the upswept exhaust which is available as an accessory from RE, though I am not sure if you could fit the panniers after you fit that. The bigger issue is the brake pedal touching when you are leaned over even at moderate speeds (on the older Enfields the footpeg would touch first)

I am not sure what do you mean by a backup kickstart, mine came with a kickstart.

Most of the roadside mechanics in India don't know how to work with the electrics on this bike, it would help if you carry a OBD tool for diagnostics, etc.

My 2 cents
You actually won't need an ODB tool for this bike - condition codes are seen by touching an aqua-colored ECU wire to ground, and there's an LED that will blink the code. See http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/fo...ic,9889.0.html

As far as I know, only C5 models that were exported to the United States are without kickstarter. Starting with the 2011 model year, U.S. model C5s will also have it. The G5 model has had the kicker for all markets from the beginning.

As far as fitting a second sprung saddle - I've actually seen pictures of a C5 where someone did this on the ridiculously enormous BCMtouring thread. I would recommend joining the site so that you can set more posts to display, but I know I saw it on there somewhere. Maybe you could PM him for the details on how he did it. Lots of great pictures though to browse through on the way to finding it. I kind of wish the U.S. models came with a saree guard, I think it adds a certain something to the overall look

antonac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #34
ToesNose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hey Phacochoerus check these out for the rear, both are dual sport and come in 110/80-18

-Pirelli MT 90 A/T (good reviews that I found)
-Avon AM44 Distanzia Dual Sport (no reviews found, but good industry write ups)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #35
tatsago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonac View Post
You actually won't need an ODB tool for this bike - condition codes are seen by touching an aqua-colored ECU wire to ground, and there's an LED that will blink the code. See http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/fo...ic,9889.0.html
Thanks, will check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonac View Post
I kind of wish the U.S. models came with a saree guard, I think it adds a certain something to the overall look

The saree gaurd also helps to keep my soft saddle bags from touching the springs. Have to figure out a solution for the other side though.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #36
antonac
Commuter

Quote:
Hey Phacochoerus check these out for the rear, both are dual sport and come in 110/80-18

-Avon AM44 Distanzia Dual Sport (no reviews found, but good industry write ups)
These will probably suit the C5, but for anyone who might not be aware, the G5 has a different frame and takes 19" tires.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #37
Blizzard Beast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:

Hey,I was looking at those myself.Are they available in India?

I mailed pirelli India regarding availability of "any" dual sport tyre.They suggested the 'Sports demon' .Then I had to mail them explaining what a dual sport tyre is.I haven't got a reply since then.
Blizzard Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #38
ToesNose
Adventurer

Phacochoerus isn't it a C5 that you have?
If not and it's the G5 with the 3.50 x 19 you will be limited for dual sport rear tires since it's pretty much a classic bike/side car size for a rear tire anyways LOL
-Not a true Dual sport but I've read people using Avon 3.50 X 19 safety Mileage Rear Tire.
-The Dunlop K70 comes in that size, not a dual sport but a nice tread pattern.
-Found these just surfing, but I've got no knowledge of the brand at all Shinko SR241 Dual Sport Series Tires

ToesNose screwed with this post 03-12-2011 at 04:59 AM
ToesNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #39
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Hey TriumphRider and welcome to the forums =)

Yea they've greatly improved the quality and dependability of the RE's. There are still alot of bikes that are dependable for less money, but they deffinately don't have the personality and classic looks of the C5 for sure If your looking for something to get from point A to B as fast as you can, any RE just isn't a bike you should consider. It's the type of bike you want to feel and enjoy the ride on. LOL it's also not the type of bike you want if you don't enjoy talking to strangers, because you'll be getting alot of questions and comments from people everywhere you go.

Over here in the States aftermarket parts for RE's are very rare waht are they like over in India? And Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.
Triumph Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #40
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
You can see the kickstarter on the model I rode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #41
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,391

haw haw... this is on my ride in Bhutan, India, Nepal, Tibet...

roll there dice boys...

Actually, my first bike was an Enfield (in '68)... loved it, it was fun, but had persistent elix problems... I moved "up" to BSA... long story
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #42
antonac
Commuter

Just bought an '09 G5 deluxe. I've already got 650 miles on it, and it is a very fun bike.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #43
ToesNose
Adventurer

TriumphRider- there are afew RE parts dealers here in India that do ship internationally. Check out these-
http://bulletwala.com/index.php/
http://www.vintageexports.com/
http://www.ebay.in/ (sometimes has hard to find vintage RE parts)

From the UK-
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/home

And the U.S.-
http://www.royalenfieldzone.com/default.asp
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/

danketchpel- that is a G5 in the picture,they all came/come with a kick start the C5 didn't come with a kick start for 09' & 10' but does on the 2011. Also there is a new model for 2011 a B5 which is on the original Bullet frame but has the "UCE" engine.

Beezer- I love that pic, I see guys wich bikes torn apart on the side of the road almost everyday and on every other corner guys fixing motorcycle tires

Antonac- Keep riding that G5 and the smiles won't stop
Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #44
commonbear OP
Big Bear Small Bike

Oddometer: 13
That you all for the feedback (and general conversation, it made for interesting reading).

I just purchased the base G5 model (2009) and so far I've been extremely happy with it (once I put a new battery in it, as the factory one was pushing 8 amps on a full charge). I think my only complaints so far (with all of 150 miles ridden) is the side mirrors which my shoulders mostly block, and the fact that in my one effort to reach 70MPH the bike started to feel like a paint shaker. I don't ever see myself needing to ride that fast on anything even close to a regular basis, but it's nice to know what the bike's limits are.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #45
antonac
Commuter

This bike's true limit is approximately 90mph indicated, WOT, with feet on the rear passenger pegs and your chest on the tank. At that speed, your mirrors will become useless, and things are very likely to start falling off the bike.