Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #76
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 595
So, I'm looking into buying a C5 within the next year. This thread has been great, and comforting to know that the new unit construction is a lot better. And the upgrade from PIA oil changes to simply common sense is a huge improvement. But one thing I can not wrap my head around is a 500cc bike that is not comfortable at 70mph?? It makes no sense, ya see if I'm going to be plunking this kind of bread down on a new bike I'd like to be able to cruise at 70. I understand its a Vintage bike with modern upgrades, but come on my junkyard CB350 would cruise all day at 80mph. That is until it made out with a pine tree

So any of you owners have some good news for me? Even crusing at 65 would be ok I guess but 70-75 would sure be nice when headed out to Austin every couple of months.

Edit: Love what you've done with your bike Cat Daddy, perfect example of what I'd like to do to a Olive Drab C5

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #77
excTC
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 164
Lovely job cat daddy. That was tle look that I wanted when getting an Enfield. Mine is still a fun bike to ride.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #78
antonac
Commuter

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
So, I'm looking into buying a C5 within the next year. This thread has been great, and comforting to know that the new unit construction is a lot better. And the upgrade from PIA oil changes to simply common sense is a huge improvement. But one thing I can not wrap my head around is a 500cc bike that is not comfortable at 70mph?? It makes no sense, ya see if I'm going to be plunking this kind of bread down on a new bike I'd like to be able to cruise at 70. I understand its a Vintage bike with modern upgrades, but come on my junkyard CB350 would cruise all day at 80mph. That is until it made out with a pine tree

So any of you owners have some good news for me? Even crusing at 65 would be ok I guess but 70-75 would sure be nice when headed out to Austin every couple of months.

Edit: Love what you've done with your bike Cat Daddy, perfect example of what I'd like to do to a Olive Drab C5
Your junkyard 350 was a parallel twin, as was my CM400, which I just sold after 6,500 trouble-free miles. This is an unbalanced single whose design ethos traces its roots to an era when 65mph may be the fastest you go in your lifetime. If you're buying it as a long-distance highway tourer, or you're looking to cruise at anything over 65, you are barking up the wrong tree and will be very numb and very disappointed. If you just dig it for its style, look at a Bonnie, a W650 or better yet a TU250 if fuel economy is top priority. The Enfield has its place, and that's a boulevard, or a two lane country road. The interstate is a scary place on one.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #79
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
I've been riding mine a good bit lately. It's perfect at 55 miles per hour. It's very happy at 60 miles per hour. It's getting a bit uncomfortable at 65. It will go further up the speedo, but in my opinion, it's miserable any faster than 65.

Brad Felmey was telling me the other day that one of the other Shriners who has one of these bikes describes it's freeway manners as "feels like you're on a 10 speed bike being pulled by a car" . Very fitting in my opinion. At those speeds I want off the thing.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #80
Eatmore Mudd
Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer: 73
Check out the enfield site as mentioned earlier in the thread, heaps of info there.
Bumping up the front sprocket by one tooth is a popular mod as is low restriction air filters and mufflers.

The C5 has smaller wheels and revised steering geometry for quicker and sportier handling than the G5. Tire pressures make big differences too.

For the run out to Austin every couple of months at 70 a modded G5 should be better If the Royal Enfield floats your boat otherwise a Trump Bonnie would be better for getting there while still giving a taste of the Britt bike ride.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #81
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Quote:
It isn't a lack of engine power - I have had mine up to 75-80 and still felt like it had more. Your testicles will wave the white flag before then. The C5 Classic feels very twitchy at speed. Although I did learn to get used to it it's much happier at speeds of under 60 for sure.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #82
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, and $DEITY help you if you ride into construction pavement grooves at 70 or so. My butt cheeks swallowed the entire seat.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #83
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826

got it saturday. it had 900 miles and the first service done so far i have put about 200 miles on it.
i was surprised how well it did on the bumpy roads on the sonoma coast.
it came with the pasenger seat and the pipe. i had the bags laying around from other bikes that i had.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #84
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
Maybe look at a TU250.
Half the price and very smooth and trouble free.
Will run 75 mph all day long and return 80 mpg.

Used its about $3000.00.

I had a 1969 Triumph Daytona that vibrated enough to crack mounts on all sorts of stuff, gas tank, air filters, coil mounts, bulbs blow, parts fall off.
I would avoid trying to run fast on anything that vibrates a lot.

Quote:

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #85
sectorsteve
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Royal Enfield C5

I bought the C5 about a 3 weeks ago. ive done about 2000kms on it.
They charge like a wounded bull for everything in Australia and i paid about $9000, but im happy.
Im loving the ride and am using it everyday for work.
My job involves alot of driving and i do all this on the Enfield.
The things ive noticed so far is that some of the chrome/nuts are starting to rust. Little things like the petrol cap are quite cheap. At about 100kms + the bike starts to shake and feel unstable.

Its awesome at slow speed, cheap on fuel and comfortable. Gets alot of attention. People are always stopping you for a chat!
I have a rack on mine instead of the pillion seat. I need a rack more than a pillion seat but i do need a pillion seat too, so im in the process of making one that clips on to the rack.

Cleaning Tips:

The C5 has alot of bits and pieces that can get dirty. to clean this by hand will take aeons.
THere is an amazing cleaner called CT18. its a truck wash. We used to use this to clean billionaires boats so its easy on the paint work.
Best thing about it, is you put it in a spray bottle, spray on, leave for 15 minutes then hose off. Bike is then mint. After that i just chamois off quickly on the main bits to stop the water marks.
sectorsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #86
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectorsteve View Post
THere is an amazing cleaner called CT18. its a truck wash. We used to use this to clean billionaires boats so its easy on the paint work.
Best thing about it, is you put it in a spray bottle, spray on, leave for 15 minutes then hose off. Bike is then mint. After that i just chamois off quickly on the main bits to stop the water marks.
I found the vendor site for this and have entered a contact request asking if they have a State-side distributor.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #87
MCrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
any long term reliability updates?
MCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #88
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,620
I am a lover of vintage bikes, and even replicas of vintage bikes. I was really attracted to the RE, and went down to my local dealer (who is also a BMW and Vespa dealer, so you are not going to get a good deal there) and checked out a 2012 B5 (the best looking one imo, also the least expensive) I had already done a lot of online research, and heard all the horror stories. I even joined the RE forum so I could ask questions. This is the kind of bike that is hard to resist, and I almost bought it. But it was priced about the same as Japanese bikes, and the quality just wasn't there.

I do own one Indian made bike, a 2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke. I have been through 2 top ends in 10,000 miles, had tons of electrical and carburetor issues, plastic and rubber trim rotting and falling off, nuts and bolts coming loose, broken speedometer cable, and a number of other things. The only really good thing about this scooter is the frame/body. It is built like a tank, and should last forever. I can keep on fixing the rest of it, and it does provide a great riding experience. But it is strictly a toy, and not something you can depend on for transportation or long distance travel. The problem is not the design, but the poor build quality and materials. Real vintage Vespas are very reliable.

I would love to see the Japanese take this bike and copy it, down to every last detail, at least as far as it's looks and feel, but with modern manufacturing techniques and quality materials. There is no reason it could not be just as reliable as any Japanese big single. The Suzuki S40 can be ridden at highway speeds all day long without falling apart. It is no powerhouse, but it will hold together. To bad it is so ugly.

Just like the Stella (including the new 4 stroke model) I don't think the RE will ever be reliable, as long as it is made in India. I figure the Indians could take a totally reliable Japanese bike, and copy it, and it wouldn't be reliable anymore either. Like the Chinese, they just don't understand quality. If this bike were $4K instead of twice that, I'd probably buy one. But I simply cannot justify spending that kind of $$$ on an unreliable bike, unless it was a real vintage bike that would appreciate in value. I do find it odd that there are so few Enfields on the used market.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #89
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrider View Post
any long term reliability updates?
I've had mine a year and 500 miles. The hard bits are good kit, but the soft parts won't be mistaken for Honda.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #90
MCrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Anyone got any high mileage reports on the new uce enfield?
MCrider is offline   Reply With Quote