User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Bye for now

I have been riding over 20 years. Bikes and scooters. Two nights ago I had a very close call. Someone roared out of a lane way just as I was passing by. The person was either wasted or angry or stealing the car (I'm only guessing) but was driving without any regard for others. Once the car hit pavement (the lane way was a dirt road), I could hear tires screeching and the engine racing. I pulled into a corner gas station to get out of the way, praying the crazed driver wouldn't run me over. I watched as the car passed me. The car crossed the yellow line and made an illegal left turn (through a red light). The guy/ girl (couldn't tell because of tinted windows) was driving like he/she was being chased by the police. I'm not lying when I say the incident shook me.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never lost a close friend to riding. And in all my years on two wheels, I've only had one get off (I hit some sand in a turn). I have three kids and a wife who supports me in everything I do. I have a good job, just finished a Masters degree, and I enjoy good health. Myself and two others took a long ride last weekend (long for me, about 400 kms). We rode a lot of coastal roads. Lots of curves, beautiful scenery. But I really didn't enjoy the ride. With some of the turns through wooded areas I imagined an oncoming vehicle crossing the line. I thought about how one of the guys I was riding with was new to riding (licensed in the past year) yet he had as his first bike an anniversary edition Harley (big bike). I had thoughts of him losing control, even though he seemed a good rider. I wondered what would happen to me if he crashed in front of me. So many thoughts ran through my head on that ride. I didn't enjoy it.

I am thinking of taking a break from riding. As many of you know, I have an old Miata I picked up years ago. I often find more pleasure in that (than riding). And with the Miata my wife or one of our kids can come along. Everyone loves the Miata. No one in my family rides with me, not anymore (I felt immensely selfish risking their lives doing something I enjoyed). I don't judge others that take their wives or kids as passengers, it just didn't sit well with me.

If I ever get another bike, I think I might go strictly dirt.

Thanks for listening. I will still visit ADV Rider because I like the people. Best wishes to everyone.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,747
Your thinking too much. You could fall down in the bath tub and die too.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,135
I have the same worries you do despite my long riding career and proficiency.

Thoughts of giving it up cross and then fade.

Whatever your choice you still have those fond times to look back on.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
thinking of taking a break from riding
VERY prudent consideration of the "riding risks", based on the increasing occurrences of reckless, inattentive, and impaired drivers. ALWAYS trust your instincts!
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
DrZook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
First and foremost, I am glad to hear you are still with us.

If you need to take a break, no worries.

I saw a commercial recently and it's pretty deep. In it you hear a little girl's voice stating that there are sharks in the ocean but we still swim. There are poisonous snakes in 49 of our 50 states but that doesn't stop us from looking for adventure...

Found it... http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7noF/allstate-good-life
DrZook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

He can, but his chances of getting killed or injured by some idiot/distracted cager is far greater.

OP -

I just sold a bunch of my bikes. I didn't have any close calls, but I do have a 3yr old and a 2 month old kid. Wife, house, 3 businesses to run. I had some fast and powerful bikes - ZX14R, S1000RR. Sold them. I enjoy my DR650 the most, and these days it's just to run errands as I find it easier to do than moving a big diesel truck.

Perhaps you'll come back when the kiddos are more grown and independent. Drivers are much worse these days - mainly due to the various distractions via technology, overall lifestyles ( everyone is in a rush, stress, etc ) along with just many more drivers on the roads.
motoracer51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,099
Everything in life has risk. Life is 100% fatal. You need to choose which activities are within your risk/reward balance. Keep in mind there are things you can do to mitigate risk in anything you do. If you have mitigated as much as possible and riding still doesn't provide the appropriate reward, walk away.

I had similar thoughts after my first street bike wreck, and again in the 1990's. I decided to stick with it and have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles since, all over North America. For me it has been worth it and I have no regrets. And yes, I've lost some people very close to me along the way. I've also lost some to things like cancer, suicide, and automobile accidents. I'm sure those who died on their bike aren't wishing they could have died from cancer. But, for the most part we don't choose how or when we are going to go.

I wish you well. You'll be back one day. Or not. Doesn't matter. Just try to live well and be good to others for whatever length of time you are here.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
JimmyFallen
Anarchist

Oddometer: 91
I can only speak for myself and it would take a LOT more than a close call to make me "take a break" but to each his/her own. I guess it keeps lots of decent bikes/scooters on craigslist.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #9
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Fully understand. I sold my Harley years ago after a series of close calls and the concern that I owed it to my then two year old daughter to manage risks better. Once she was grown and ready to graduate college I started riding again.

Only you can decide when riding makes sense. The fact that you've made the choice to get away from it for now is what's right for you.

Sorry to see you go, but have fun with the Miata!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
2coldnpagosa
Anything dirt!

Oddometer: 35
Laugh I get it

I do understand and did take some years off from road riding as well though I never gave up the adventure of Off road riding and wannabe racing. Maybe thats an avenue you can consider especially with kids, you'd have a blast taking them out into the forest or desert to ride alongside Dad. Just a thought....don't be gone too long!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

These are my main reasons right here. This pic was taken August 20, 2014, the day I finished grad school (I had been working on a Master of Social Work degree part time for the past three years, working full time and trying to be there for these guys).

My wife and kids mean the world to me. I know I could slip in the bathtub and die. I've been using that kind of logic for the past 22 years (that's how long I've been riding).

Believe me, this is not an easy decision.

Everyone has to do what is right for them (and listen to that little voice).

Be safe and have fun, no matter what you do or where you go.

All the best,

Rob

klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

After a long life of "risky activities" I sustained a spinal cord injury in 2004 that left me an L4 Inc Parplegic. Limited use of lower body but Im what they call a "walkie". I'm lucky.

It happened from a bathroom fall
My deepest sympathy. Death is final .

Life is for the living

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,949
OP

I understand and once in a while feel the same. I rode little when my 3 boys were growing and my wife refused to ride with me at all citing the risk of both parents dying. My miles increased greatly as the boys grow older.

2 things come to mind.
1) if one becomes too concerned with the risks of riding then the joy of riding diminishes so, why do it.
2) for me, the days I am overly concerned about the risk, I ride poorly and possibly increase the risk of having an incident.

You might return to street riding or not. Maybe dirt riding or the Miata will bring you joy. Whatever does it for you is what is important. Take a break and see what happens.

BTW- reading a post in another part of ADV I was surprised how many regulars no longer ride and haven't for years. It is much more common than you might think and also does not mean you can't stay here and enjoy the forum.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 874
Hey Rob,

We each choose our own path. That is a beautiful family you have, and anyone with a heart can understand.

I was about done riding two years ago - it just wasn't fun anymore. I have gotten off hard twice in 47 years of riding. Months of physical therapy and some things don't work like they used to (well, that might just be 'cause I've gotten older).

When I was younger, I never thought I'd live past 40. Fast cars, fast bikes, airplanes. I'm not a fatalistic kinda guy, but I saw friends in those same activities who didn't survive them.

The Blonde and I have been riding since we were teenagers. During all those years, there was about a 4 month period where I didn't have a bike... and my wife said to me, "I think it's time you look for another bike." She had sold her last bike a couple years before that.

When she said, "We should buy a couple scooters," the winter before last, I thought she was just messing with me. She knows me... sometimes better than I know myself.

It IS fun again, for us. I am saying this to let you know that others have been there. It might be the end of your riding, or it might be a hiatus. I have enjoyed your posts - know that you are always welcome here - scoot, bike, or not.

Just last week, my wife said to me, "We should look into another convertible again." I may be the only guy who ever traded a Porsche 928 for a Miata. Before we retired, my "fun car" was a Saab turbo convertible... I called it my "grown-up sports car." I get the whole convertible thing, too.

Go with your gut. See you down the road.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 08-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
Tough decision but you gotta go with what works for you. Your life, your family, your call.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote