Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Neduro Riding Clinic happening soon somewhere near YOU!

From time to time, a whole bunch of events line up and conspire to offer an option that might have seemed impossible shortly before. Now is such a time for me.

Two weeks ago (this is 2006, mind you), I found out that the contract I've been working on for the past few years lost funding, which means I'm without a job on May 31. In most ways, this is great news for me, as I've been working for some time on starting a business, and now have more time to devote to it. I'm very excited about trying to make things happen on my own, and even if I fail, I'd rather know I tried and gave it my best shot, than coasted through on the easy path. It also means I have more time than anticipated this summer, which pleases the hell out of me. The only bad part is that it is going to make my cashflow tight for doing a rally in Africa, which is obviously not cheap.

The riding clinic in Buena Vista seemed to go really well. Everyone enjoyed it, maybe most of all me. People seemed to improve their control by leaps and bounds, and it was fantastic to be a part of. And the demand for it blew me away- it seems like lots of folks are looking for a way to develop their skills a bit.

Lining these things up (less money, more time, and a great clinic), I see what I should do. I'd like to offer more clinics, and do them all over the country, and use them to raise money for the race fund. To be clear right from the start, this is not a good cause like so many other things on this site. I've been incredibly lucky to do the things I've done, and racing is an indulgent and selfish activity and I make no apologies for that. For that reason, I'm not asking for donations. Instead, I'd like to do what I can to help people, and let them do what they can to help me in return. Doing a rally is a dream of mine, and I think sharing it with lots of advriders will make it that much more fun.

I have several trips planned this summer already (to see family and etc), so here's where it gets interesting. Below is a rough range of dates where I could be in various parts of the country. My proposal is that people who are interested either respond to this thread, or PM me, and if there is sufficient interest, we can set a date sort of aligned with the range below for a given area. I'm happy to go somewhere not listed, if there are enough folks to put together a good group.

All dates are 2006! Please head to the end of the thread for more recent info, don't want to edit these dates out for fear of losing adv history...

West Fest: Friday, June 30, near Buena Vista, CO
Epping, NH: July 22/23 (details in on page 3).
Chaingolia: August 5 and maybe 6
NorCal: 8/19-20 (location tbd)
PNW: ? (there might be something special possible up here... more on that soon)
SoCal: tbd- Oct or Nov?
Virginia: tbd
North Carolina: tbd
Texas: tbd
Arizona: tbd

We'll choose whichever weekend and whichever day from the ranges above that works for the greatest number of people. If there's sufficient interest, I can do succeeding days on the weekend (2 clinics, one on Saturday and one on Sunday). If you'd like to arrange something with either just yourself or a very small group of riders, PM me and we can work on that, too.

Some logistical points:

- I can focus a clinic in whatever way best suits the participants, including pure dirt, dualsport, and so on, but the basics are the same for each. Fundamental skills apply no matter what size bike is being ridden, and that's where we'll spend most of our time. The goal is to help people get more comfortable with their bikes and improve their control- it is not a racing class, although good control is the basis of speed and these same techniques have helped me a lot in my racing pursuits.
- When traveling to areas where I don't have much familiarity, I'll need a hand figuring out where to put the clinic on and doing some scouting. If you can help me with this, please let me know.
- To cover myself against liability, I will be using waivers, and I have incorporated an LLC for these classes. I do everything possible to limit risk in the class but it is still there and only the participants are responsible for it. I include this here to make sure that everyone understands that they will be dealing with an LLC, not an individual, and that if they sue, it will bring lots of bad juju and very little else.
- Non advriders are welcome!

Pricing:

For this to be viable, it needs to not only cover my cost of getting there, but also make a significant contribution to my race fund to make the time away from my real business worthwhile. The consensus in Buena Vista was that I was charging too little. So, I'd like to limit each clinic to 15 people, and ask for a donation of $150 ($100 for June 30 in BV). If you really want to come but can't afford that, PM me and we'll work something out. Also, since I'll be driving across the country, I think I need to ask for a non-refundable deposit of $50 to get your name on the list once a date is decided in your neck of the woods (of course, if the clinic were cancelled for whatever reason, I'd refund it). If anyone takes the class and feels that it wasn't worth the cost, you can have your money back, no hard feelings.

Please reply to the thread or PM if you're interested or have questions, and let your buddies know so that we can figure out if this will work and get dates chosen for different places. It might make sense to start individual threads in regional forums for each clinic, but I don't want to so I'll let you folks do that, and will join in the discussion if appropriate.

This has all the makings of an epic adventure, in the truest sense of the word, starting with the clinics and continuing with the rally. If being a part of this whole thing sounds like fun, reply and let's figure out how to make it happen.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.

neduro screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 08:10 AM
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
That's awesome Ned ! $150.00 is more than reasonable,, let me know if you need some scouting for Nor Cal
Old 05-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
mutineer
pierpont lives

Oddometer: 18,923
us Chaingolians have been kicking this around for a spell

let us know when you are headed East later in the season the better for us I think

last coupls of weeks in August may be good

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #4
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
The later part of August would be of interest to me also.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
us Chaingolians have been kicking this around for a spell

let us know when you are headed East later in the season the better for us I think

last coupls of weeks in August may be good
Mutt: To make the trip work on my way to or from the NE, I'm constrained by my folk's schedule. I think the last weekend that would work in Chaingolia is 8-5/6, although there's a chance at 8-12/13.

Any chance one of those could work for you guys?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteve
The later part of August would be of interest to me also.
Thanks for the interest! Couldn't make it as far down as Virginia in July or August, but in late fall (depending on which rally I choose), I was thinking of doing one in NC or VA when I visit family.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
That's awesome Ned ! $150.00 is more than reasonable,, let me know if you need some scouting for Nor Cal
Thank you SIR! Will call you in the next couple days...

Old 05-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Hi Ned

Good luck with everything

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I'll be on the road until early August. But after that, I'd be willing to travel to most anywhere in the east. I hope your scedule works out.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I would like to see you come to Southern Oregon.

Vince
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
I might be interested in a SoCal class! I'm we could get enough people for a class down here.

Errin
Old 05-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Excellent

Good on ya' Ned
Sounds like a great endeavor - I wish you the best of luck. I have no doubt that the Adventure community will rally (!!) behind your efforts.

What a great opportunity for people to get some quality training close to their backyard, without having to schlep their stuff, their bike and themselves all the way across the country!! Hope you are able to do something in the Northwest at some point!!

Good luck
Kurt

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles

I agree, let's get this up and going for NorCal
Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Ned,

Lemme know when you getaround to the Southeast. Maybe I can help you find a place, and maybe you can help me fall off with more grace.....
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Couldn't make it as far down as Virginia in July or August, but in late fall (depending on which rally I choose), I was thinking of doing one in NC or VA when I visit family.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote