Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYANDENNY71 View Post
I understand all of perks of the RFS motor......but the RFS bikes dont handle that bad.
They do not handle nearly as well as the SXF bikes, additionally the pre 05 framed bikes are even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYANDENNY71
& 600-613cc RFS????? You are boring & stroking the thing too???
Yes 99mm (+4mm) bore and 78mm (+6mm) stroke

Quote:
My '06 EXC handles pretty damn good. Good enough for me & I'm an ametuer/intermediate class desert/GP racer.

Although I do wish I had the SX suspension on it because then my suspension guy could work major wonders (he's KTM's factory supercross suspension mechanic).

Are you really good enough to benefit from all of this?
Yes, If from nothing other than the susp upgrade alone. significantly stiffer frame makes a noticeable difference as well.

Quote:
With the amount of time & money you've put into it you coulda bought a spare RF4 motor. haha.
I'm generally good on spares...

Though I have less in the compete chassis than what I paid for my spare RF4 motor.

Also this bikes primary use is hillclimbs (Reasoning behind the 600cc motor) not my race bike, I have a 450sxf and yz250 for that.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
BRYANDENNY71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
If its just getting used for hillclimbs....then why all the trouble for a little better suspension & a little more rigid frame?

You dont really need all of the perks if its just for hillclimbs.

You're putting make-up on your butthole. hahaha.

All in all I actually like the concept. Thats why I'm so leary of getting rid of my '06 in lieu of an '11 or '12. I'm thinking of just investing in the SX suspension, getting it dialed & just riding it til it dies. Then rebuild it.
BRYANDENNY71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,369
Good work man, it is a neat undertaking if only for the curiosity of having a project. If I had all those tools and frames lying around I'd start building frankenstiens for the hell of it, if only to irk people like the poster above.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If its just getting used for hillclimbs....then why all the trouble for a little better suspension & a little more rigid frame?

You dont really need all of the perks if its just for hillclimbs.

You're putting make-up on your butthole. hahaha.
It's the same concept as putting a Cr500 in a gen4 CRF chassis.

have you ridden a SXF/XCF?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Carb to headstay mount clearance

RFS to SXF plumming

gen 2 carb w/ wr426 rear bell to 530 carb boot

Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
BRYANDENNY71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
It's the same concept as putting a Cr500 in a gen4 CRF chassis.

have you ridden a SXF/XCF?
Guys that are doing that are using it for a desert bike, where you need good suspension travel.

But thats not all that compareable, because the old CR500 chassis' are truely ancient & hadnt been updated since the mid 90's, so there is significant gain to doing that.

But when you are talking about a couple of years of technology difference & only slightly better handling then its harder to justify.

But like I said before, its just hillclimbing. You dont need all the snazzy perks.

& yes I have ridden a couple newer chassis bikes. Didnt notice much. Not enough to go buy a new bike.

Lets remember all of the pro endure riders that seemed to do fine winning every european enduro race on these "older" chassis.

If you spent half the time you have into this conversion, into tuning the RFS suspension you would be way more than content.
BRYANDENNY71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #22
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Lets remember all of the pro endure riders that seemed to do fine winning every european enduro race on these "older" chassis.
You seriously think works bikes have stock geo? How is this any different than installing different triples and gusseting an existing frame? Maybe the feel of one frame is more fun as it better compliments his riding style? That is why we do this, for fun right?

Even still, why do you care so much about how someone else spends their time and money? Maybe he just wants to tinker and have something different...

I for one think it is awesome that he is making something outside the box using knowledge, ingenuity, and his own hands as opposed to paying someone else. It sure as shit beats reading about people bolting plastic windshields onto boring air cooled bikes and riding around taking pictures of food.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Guys that are doing that are using it for a desert bike, where you need good suspension travel.
a cr500AF is a common hillclimb bike, I dont keep up on whats in the desert, since there isnt any in the east.

I'm sorry but in anything tight, the RFS (including the SX) dosent handle anywhere near as well as the SXF/XCF bikes. The post 05+ rfs frames handle considerably better than the 04. Each generation got better, maybe it's different in the open desert but in the woods there is a large and noticible difference.

as for the euros..the rfs handles like a euro bike "steers with the rear." The latest gen handles like a jap bike...

Why do I care how a hillclimb bike handles in the woods... most of our hillclimbs are in the woods.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #24
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

working on #2
08 250XCF frame + 04 RFS cradle

Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Great thread. I was not aware that it was possible to fit an RFS engine inside the small confines of the 250F chassis (with minor mods). This may have given my 250 a new lease on life. I've got only about 3 hours on the 300 big bore kit and now the crank bearings (or maybe it's the rod bearing) is going south.

Subscribed!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #26
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
Yes 99mm (+4mm) bore and 78mm (+6mm) stroke

who is doing the work?

i can think of a few guys that i would highly recommend, and 1 that i would stay the fuck away from. the list of players isnt very big when talking about an engine like that....

good luck, looks awesome.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Sub'd.

If I had the time to build one I think I would put a 453 in a 250SXF frame. I think that would be the ultimate do-all bike.

Just like the OP said, RFS bikes handle like trucks in the woods. I've been successful at manhandling my 525/540 through the trees and I love my bike but if it's raining and the singletrack is slick I just want to throw the thing off a cliff.
The RFS frames are much better suited to wide open running, especially with the big bore motors that can stretch their legs.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #28
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,067
Laugh :)

best read in awhile, :)

jar944 keep doin wat your doin I love it, man i think i rock when i change a tyre or did ma first oil change lol
love reading these types of threads where some1 has a goal in mind and juss nails it, awesome work, nice right up, keep it coming, i wanna see the end result, :)

2000 Honda ST1100
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #29
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
who is doing the work?

i can think of a few guys that i would highly recommend, and 1 that i would stay the fuck away from. the list of players isnt very big when talking about an engine like that....

good luck, looks awesome.

laramie
Crankworks for the stroking, TR did the Cylinder, me for the crank balancing and assembly. as well as the rest of the engine building.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #30
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,322
nice. not many people can balance their own crank.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote