Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,573
I didn't get too many pics on day two because we had to cover so much territory. 286 miles for the day. Here is one on the way to Presidio.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,771

Loves me some Big Bend!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
bullcreek'r
n00b

Oddometer: 1
looks like an awesome ride, great pics; going to have to make it down there soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Where do we go from here?
The words are coming out all weird
Where are you now, when I need you

Loosely planned. Finely executed. No flats or broken bones. One citation. Good food. Good beer. Good weather. Good times.

Six Okies from the Tulsa area headed down to Big Bend Texas for a 5-day trip. We hauled 5+1 bikes in a trailer and Dodge, respectively, and hauled some bodies in a borrowed Mazda.

The players:
Jerry (aka Fotobo, WR250R)
Rick (aka Dirt2007, 950SE)
Ralph (aka Jumpjet, DRZ SM/S)
Tom (aka Tomski74, DR650)
Brian (aka Newner, green KLR650)
myself (aka DirtyDog, black KLR650)

The plan:
Day 1- drive 750 miles to Big Bend National Park
Day 2- ride
Day 3- ride
Day 4- ride
Day 5- drive 750 miles to Tulsa

The drive South was uneventful aside from getting pulled over and accused of bike theivery. We rolled into Cottonwood Campground at 3:30 am.

Sunrise came quickly and we feasted on breakfast burritoes before heading out into the dust. Our plan to ride one day in Mexico was thwarted by the US Passport system (and possible processing delays due to the blizzards?). I was the only one lacking a passport. Despite my urges that I would have ditched any one of my compadres to ride in Mexico, they insisted on unity and we scrapped the international component. This left Day 2 as a wander-fest. We stared at the topo maps a bit and just headed out. Managed to turn it into a 130 mile day and we were all a bit beat from little sleep.

We rode river road, Black Gap road, made a stop at the hot springs for a soak, and headed back to camp.

The group got separated for a while on Black Gap when Rick took a fall and attempted to disassemble his KTM. He boogered his foot in the process, so we're lucky he was ok.

Tom waits and watches for our stragglers.

We all survived Black Gap and headed into Panther (aka Pampers) Junction for fuel and respite. It was nearly 90 degrees by then.

Newner's chain needed some adjustment.

Group pic.

Then we stopped at the hot springs before slabbing back to camp.
The ladies were impressed.

Just the necessities for desert survival.

Day 1 was mild, but fulfilling.

Carnage pics of Rick's foot.

Didn't ruin our appetites. We paired into teams to handle the cooking duties. Each pair planned a dinner and a breakfast. We typically had lunch on the trail. First night was newner and myself. We made grilled chicken, corn on the cob, and beans. It was good.

Wildlife sightings. The javelina smelled it too and came out of the woods for a taste.

The rest of the night was spent telling lies, drinking beer and tequila. We had great plans for tomorrow.

Day 3 coming soon...
bullcreek'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 6,918
Day 2 was in the books.

Only 134 miles, but that's not bad considering we had 4 hrs of sleep after the 14 hr drive South. Plus, we apparently rode the most "difficult" road in the national park- Black Gap.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

I need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain
'Cause I'd be scared that there's nothing underneath
But who are my real friends?
Have they all got the bends?
Am I really sinking this low?

Epic slab. Face-slapping foliage. Exploding fuel tanks. Rescue mission. Dual-sporting in the dark.

Day 3

We awoke with muscle soreness from Day 2. Mix in a bit of hangover (I'll speak for myself here... ) from IPAs, tequila, plus the finest Texas swill that a remote desert convenience store could provide at a modest rate of upcharge. Rick was the most sore due to his foot injury, but he powered through, noting no bone-crunching sensations- just a severe sprain.

Newner awoke from nightmares of a frightening, yet amorous javelina. We again had breakfast burritoes, coffee, and even camp espresso. We are a classy bunch.

Our plan for today was to head into Big Bend State Park (BBSP) for the day. It's the neighboring, yet highly inconvenient, riding area which is touted as the best in the state. The cans of swill made similar claims, but we were optimistic about this one. After studying the GPS and maps around the camp candle the previous evening, we realized that it was a 90+ mile ride from our camp to the BBSP entrance. We pressured up the tires after breakfast and convinced our neighbor to snap a group pic before departure.

Fortunately for us, the commute to BBSP was via a beautiful, 2-lane desert highway which follows the Rio Grande.

Finally, we reached Presidio for fuel before heading into BBSP.

We bombed along for miles, despite the 25mph park speed limit.
We had planned a loop with an extra alternate loop, time-permitting. We would finish neither.
We started out on the main loop traveling the logically wrong direction, so we went ahead and jumped on the alternate loop which had some difficult sections.

One of which was a long-since-travelled sandy wash. I was leading and the pea gravel was deep.

We turned back soon after this. Wash-outs made this road a less-preferred option for the group.

We regrouped (so I thought) and I gave directions through the next few turns since we were retracing our steps for a bit. I bombed ahead. This is where several issues occurred.

Jerry was riding in the #2 position, Tom and Rick in the middle, and Ralph and Newner pulling up the rear.

Before I departed, I told Jerry "left at the first Y and right at the second". We were bypassing part of our loop and picking it up beyond the wash. Since the right-hander was a hairpin and sort of hidden, I stopped there a bit down the trail and waited to be sure. When I saw Jerry approach, I took off down the trail. I made the mistake of not confirming that he 1) saw me or 2) made the turn. He didn't. I proceeded down the trail alone at a high rate of speed. It was fun.

Meanwhile, Ralph was having bike issues and was still in the wash. Newner went back to assist. They had to wait out the flooded DRZ and took a break in the limited shadeof desert foliage.

They got the bike running and Ralph took off down the trail after us while Newner completed applying his gear. Apparently, unbeknownst to Newner, Ralph made an immediate wrong turn and was travelling in the opposite direction as the rest of the group. Newner proceeded in the correct direction, thionking that Ralph was ahead of him.

Ok, flash back to me. I was having good fun on the rugged trail not knowing that Jerry had missed the turn. As per protocol, I decided to stop and wait for my riding buddies. Hmm. The minutes ticked by. The trail had sort of petered out for me and was getting more rugged.

After about 10 minutes of waiting, I started to backtrack. By the time I made it back to the missed turn, I knew something was wrong. I continued on in pursuit of my wayward compadres, not knowing that Newner and Ralph were still in the wash (after 45 minutes or more). At the next intersection, I was met by this.

Apparently, Tom decided that in absence of a flare, or signalling mirror, the best reflective device he could use was his own svelte, Polish torso. It worked, as that glare is burned in my memory forever.

Tom debriefed me that Jerry and Rick had proceeded back to the visitor's center due to Rick's aux fuel tank spewing it's contents everywhere. Tom then asked me if I had seen Newner or Ralph, as he hadn't since the wash (an hour ago). Shit. Told Tom to stay put and I went back on a rescue mission.

A few minutes down the trail, I'm met by Newner, who informs me that Ralph was in front of him (neither of us knowing that Ralph had made that wrong turn). Shit. So what if Ralph had turned down the correct trail that I just back-tracked? To be sure, I tell Newner to backtrack from whence he came to the next intersection and check there before heading back to regroup with Tom.

Newner waited at the Y.

I jumped back on my solo trail, thinking I might find Ralph (who had the intended GPS tracks). I passed my turnaround spot from earlier and pushed farther. After riding through a 4' deep washout or two and finding myself at the base of a gnarly, washed out climb, I decided that I wasn't chasing Ralph. I turned around and managed to rip the cord out of my GPS. I ride back to the site of the ghastly, shirtless polack to find no one waiting. I hope that's good news. Surely Ralph was found, so I head towards the visitor's center. There, I find Newner and shirted Tom waiting for me. Ralph was still missing. Approaching 2 hours now. Rick and Jerry headed into Presidio.

I began to debrief the BBSP ranger about our missing rider, not knowing at the time where he possibly could be.

Only Ralph truly knows the intimate details about his walkabout, so I'll leave it to him to tell.

Eventually, he arrived at the visitor center and we were all relieved.

We fully regrouped as we departed BBSP after some routing issues (ahem). The sun went down on the ride back to camp and we did most of the highway plus Old Maverick road in the dark. Ralph, Newner, and I attempted to ride side by side by side to maximize illumination and minimize dust. Didn't work so well. I ended up in a drainage turnout thinking it was a right turn and Ralph got beaned by a flying rock. Fun stuff.

We feasted on 2 inch thick sirloins, baked potatoes, and more beer/tequila.

I was immensely fatigued and sore from my day. I'm sure others were too.

What did I miss?

Plenty of miles on Day 3, mostly paved. My back-tracking probably added some quality trail miles, but it's not reflected here.

A few random pics from the day's ride.

My EPIC jump that Newner failed to catch on video... or even a pic for that matter.

Same goes for Ralph.

If you squint your eyes just right, you can almost make out a bit of air under the front tire of Tom's DR.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #21
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,081
Are you sure you didn't ride to Big Bend Ranch State Park from Presidio. Evidenced from the Ranger Station. We were there in January.
The paved road was FM 170 that runs along the Mexican border and a truly beautiful ride.
Attached Images

DONATE TO ADVRider
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #22
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Are you sure you didn't ride to Big Bend Ranch State Park from Presidio. Evidenced from the Ranger Station. We were there in January.
The paved road was FM 170 that runs along the Mexican border and a truly beautiful ride.
I never said we didn't. They are one in the same.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #23
OutlawSon
The one on the run..

Oddometer: 121
Looks like it was a blast...well with the exception of the foot...ouch! I'm guessing that was with a boot on? I can only imagine what it would have looked like without a boot on. Dang it. Just pound my foot with a hammer please...Ima have to ride that someday. I like that they have pigs...should've popped one and had some BBQ. Yum...great report....great pics. Love it...
OutlawSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #24
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,335
You say po-tay-toe I say po-tah-toe Even their website uses both terms ("Walking Guide to La Sauceda at Big Bend State Park). Click

The thing that is muy importante is that we all had a blast.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FM170 (Farm to Market) is probably the best piece of tarmac in all of Texas.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
grizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Cool ride.

Pity about the foot, but I guess thats the price we pay for fun.

***** 2006 Sachs MADASS 50cc *****

***** 19?? BSA Bantam D7 FREE Bike Resto *****

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 970
Video from Day One Ride (Day Two).
Video Issues:
1) I didn't have the camera turned on for the best stuff - like Black Gap
2) The camera lens cover filled with dust on the first day - making a lot of the video unusable
3) The dirt video that is used had to be tweaked so much to get past the dust cloud on the lens that the resolution went out the window
4) Haven't licensed the editor yet - so hence the watermark
5) ...

Next day should be better.

1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon

JumpJet screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 02:31 PM
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 970
Fixed issues two, three and four from above - however, my cinematography skills are definitely lacking. Still don't capture the best part of the ride.

Second riding day - going from Big Bend NP to Big Bend SP via Precidio. Enjoy.

1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #28
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,429
Nice Vid's JumpJet! Good Stuff.
Newner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #29
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,055
Awesome ride guys! I've ridden the Presidio area and into MX before, it's the best riding ever! I'd like to get down there again soon.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #30
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Hmm. Guess I better get busy with Day 4 before Ralph beats me to the punch...