Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #31
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Hmm. Guess I better get busy with Day 4 before Ralph beats me to the punch...
and ....

Good job on the ride report Jason

Bullcreek'r liked it so much he quoted the entire thread!
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon

JumpJet screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 07:51 AM
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #32
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Good job on the ride report and the videos.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #33
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,723
I wanna live, breathe
I wanna be part of the human race
I wanna live, breathe
I wanna be part of the human race, race, race, race

Where do we go from here?
The words are coming out all weird
Where are you now when I need you?

River road redux. Milk carton maintenance. Cesspool luncheon. One-armed guilt. Performance award.

Day 4

Our breakfast burritoes are getting classier- leftover steak and eggs. The morning prep was typical aside from working out some of the mechanical mysteries from the previous afternoon.

We started off on river road heading East from camp. Our plan was to cross the national park all the way to the Rio Grande village, head N on Old Ore road, backtrack to Rio Grande Village for showers (finally), and check out Chisos Basin before heading back to camp. Lots of miles, but a relatively easy day of dual-sporting.

Figured I'd give Rick a check-up before we headed out for the day. The foot was taking on some interesting colors.

We ratcheted up the speed, as we had already ridden part of river road on Day 2. Fun stuff with fewer "oh shit" moments.
BTW- I didn't over-cook this corner. I pulled off to capture some pics.

Oops. Time for an adjustment.

While bombing along, I came across a non-typical, oncoming vehicle. This one was parked and it's driver was out folding a tarp. I stopped to see of they needed anything and my suspicion was correct. The driver, a 60-something, grey-moustached gentleman in shorts and Crocs explained that he and his companion had experienced a flat tire and were unable to change it. They were at least 30 miles from pavement and had taken Black Gap (rugged 4x4 road) because it was "a shortcut". They were driving a stock-ish Jeep Cherokee with road tires. The issue was that the rim of the flat tire was seized onto the hub. They had a spare but couldn't remove the flat. Nothing that 6 burly Okies can't fix. The rest of the crew trickled to the site and we got to work. I'll let the images tell the tale.

Got it! Guess who was the hero?

We let the elder statesmen (Jerry, Rick, and Ralph) do all the work. Anyone notice the size of that spare? Major rubbage in the fender. We advided they extract to Rio Grande Village and we confirmed later that they did make it out.

So the odd thing about the whole roadside experience- the "companion". A <20-something androgenous female sitting shotgun. The driver introduced her as Amy and stated that they were beginning a 3-month (ill equipped, IMHO) adventure. Their flat had happened the previous afternoon, forcing them to camp next to the road. She sat shotgun the whole time we were changing the tire and painted her toenails. Her bracelet said Becky. We were collectively undecided if it was his daughter, grand-daughter, girlfriend, or captive.

Back on the road...

I was having trouble with my bike surging. Thinking it was running hot (no temp gage), I rigged the fan for constant-on operation. It didn't really help. Most of the group seemed to be having fuel-related issues. Maybe the Texas fuel is as bad as the beer.

Looks like Rick could have had more trouble than he did. Fortunately, the KTM case is made of a butter-like substance and didn't crack.

We briefly stopped at Rio Grande Village for fuel and provisions before heading onto Old Ore Road. There, we met a world-travelling KLR rider from Vancouver.

He was stressing over finding a new set of tires He managed to run his down to the cords and had just come off of Old Ore Road. Amazingly, he had no left arm. We over-cautiously warned him about river road thinking it would be a challenge for him. Boy were we wrong. He had just ridden a road that is numerous times tougher then river road - with one arm - and only dropped the bike once.

I think we all were thinking the same thing while riding Old Ore... "What would this be like with one arm?"

With our provisions from Rio Grande Village, we headed onto Old Ore and planned to stop for a short hike and lunch at Ernst Tinaja, a plunge pool in a creek.

Turns out it was a pool, but of the cess variety. The creek was dry and the pool was a warm shade of emerald. It could have been a spectacular site when the creek is flowing, but in the dry season, well, it was not. Four dead, floating birds punctuated the scene. We joked that the first one to get trapped was likely named Ralph and three of his buddies failed tragically in a rescue attempt.

Tom gave us another striptease.

We had our lunch in the shade of the canyon, enjoying a light breeze, and marveled at the layered geology and erosion. It was great.

Found some neat fossils along the hike in the creekbed.

We got our showers and headed to Chisos Basin via pavement, but the adventures weren't over just yet...
Rick was leading the pavement pack and as we each caught up with him, we noticed that his progress was slowed to the park limit 45mph by a park ranger in front of us. Apparently Newner didn't notice. He proceeded to occupy the left lane and take pictures of the rest of the group.

Sounds from my helmet -> "You dumbass. Can't you see that park ranger ahead??!!"

You gonna pass the park ranger next?

No need. The ranger pulled off the road, whipped past Tom and I and pulled Newner to the shoulder as he waved us past.

We proceeded to Chisos Basin and waited for the fugitive. Tom listed the dozens of potential tickets that could have put him in cuffs, so we had about written him off completely when he arrived with a shiny new $75 performance award. He definitely got off easy.

Day 4 was in the books. Fun stuff punctuated by expensive idiocy.

Day 5 The drive home

Not too much to tell here... we finally made it home.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #34
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Great times, gentlemen. Perfect weather. FAST roads. Great scenery.

Cheers.
-DustyRags
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
fotobo
KTM rider

This is one of the previous pics that DirtyDog posted. I took this pic laying on my back and looking straight up, from the rock formation we were sitting on. This was really a cool and unusual area. As DD mentioned it would really have been cool if water had been running.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #36
fotobo
KTM rider

Thanks for doing the Ride Report Jason. You did a great job on it. Really enjoyed riding with you guys. Hope we get to ride together again.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
"So the odd thing about the whole roadside experience- the "companion". A <20-something androgenous female sitting shotgun. The driver introduced her as Amy and stated that they were beginning a 3-month (ill equipped, IMHO) adventure. Their flat had happened the previous afternoon, forcing them to camp next to the road. She sat shotgun the whole time we were changing the tire and painted her toenails. Her bracelet said Becky. We were collectively undecided if it was his daughter, grand-daughter, girlfriend, or captive. "

Where is the evidence??????????????

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #38
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

The setup:
First - we have a commentary on the DR650 K&N filter performance
Second - I took a continuous 30min video feed and kept 5 seconds at 1 minute intervals. I think it show the diversity of the terrain on river road. The trip is basically the start of River road to where the Jeep is stranded.
Third - it concludes with the stranded Jeep.

I didn't capture any of Old Ore Road - which was rocky as hell
2) Eat more Bacon

JumpJet screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 10:57 AM
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #39
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

One thing about the Jeep. They got the flat the day before and ended up staying the night. I think it was around noon when we showed up - shows how isolated you are out there.
2) Eat more Bacon
Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #40
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Did anyone notice the sexy polish legs??? ATGATT?

2) Eat more Bacon

JumpJet screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 01:06 PM
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #41
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
Where is the evidence??????????????

Don
None from me. It shall remain a mystery.
-DustyRags
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #42
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 705
Thanks for the RR and the pics- looks like a fun trip and wish that I could have been along. Traveling with blatant Polish exhibitionists can get a person in trouble traveling through Tejas though.
Oh yeah- hope the foots heals alright- ask 9-toe-bo about that stuff.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #43
fotobo
KTM rider

Yes it was a great trip, wish you could have gone. As a matter of fact I mentioned at one point to the blatant Polish exhibitionist that you would have really enjoyed the trip.

Don't worry, when we passed across the border check, we made sure that the Pole was fully clothed. They don't go in for that kind of stuff in Tejas.

As for an example of what can happen when you mash one of your phalanges, they got a first hand view of it, when we were in the hot springs.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #44
Jungmann1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Great ride, guys, wish I could have been there. Next time, J
Old 02-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #45
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Very Cool, Thanks for the RR. Needed a break from reality.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote