User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
grandpa_ken OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Anyone With Seat Concepts for F800GS?

Can anyone report on the seat cover and foam kit from Seat Concepts? How does it compare to the stock seat?
http://www.seatconcepts.com/index.php?p=1_41
Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Looks like a good concept and a very good price. Without trying out the seat, however, that and a dollar will buy you a pop.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Interesting!
I guess it can it just be installed with a standard "utility" type staple gun?

It does not "look" very thick compared to some of the aftermarket seats I have seen...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Mine's arrived, looks good sitting in its box

I'm off to warmer climes for a couple of weeks, and by the time I get back it should be warm enough here (snowing right now) to install and try it out. I'll report back then. I've been using a Sargent for the past couple of years, which is plenty comfortable when compared to the roly-poly prostate buster that comes stock with the bike. I'm hoping the Seat Concepts will give me more mobility front-to-back when riding tougher stuff.

One question that occurred to me after it had arrived was "Why wouldn't I just use the stock cover?". I have no answer for that. Yet.

sturgeon screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 06:04 AM
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
richmo1
Just a rider

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_ken View Post
Can anyone report on the seat cover and foam kit from Seat Concepts? How does it compare to the stock seat?
http://www.seatconcepts.com/index.php?p=1_41
I have been riding on mine for about two weeks now. I have done several 1 hour rides and a 2 1/2 hour ride. I find it very comfortable. I am over 50, 6' 1" and about 210 lbs. I was very uncomfortable on the stock seat after about 45 minutes.
I had a Sargent (Sport Touring) seat on the F800GS for several months and it was definitely way more comfortable for me than the stock seat but I felt I was a little too tall for it and wanted to push myself back against the seat dish. On the SeatConcepts seat the 'dish' area is not as defined and allows me to scoot back on the seat periodically.

Overall very happy with the Seatconcepts setup. Quality is top notch.
richmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
he shapes the foam better/wider so they stock cover would probably not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Mine's arrived, looks good sitting in its box

I'm off to warmer climes for a couple of weeks, and by the time I get back it should be warm enough here (snowing right now) to install and try it out. I'll report back then. I've been using a Sargent for the past couple of years, which is plenty comfortable when compared to the roly-poly prostate buster that comes stock with the bike. I'm hoping the Seat Concepts will give me more mobility front-to-back when riding tougher stuff.

One question that occurred to me after it had arrived was "Why wouldn't I just use the stock cover?". I have no answer for that. Yet.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo1 View Post
I have been riding on mine for about two weeks now. I have done several 1 hour rides and a 2 1/2 hour ride. I find it very comfortable. I am over 50, 6' 1" and about 210 lbs. I was very uncomfortable on the stock seat after about 45 minutes.
I had a Sargent (Sport Touring) seat on the F800GS for several months and it was definitely way more comfortable for me than the stock seat but I felt I was a little too tall for it and wanted to push myself back against the seat dish. On the SeatConcepts seat the 'dish' area is not as defined and allows me to scoot back on the seat periodically.

Overall very happy with the Seatconcepts setup. Quality is top notch.
got a pic. his unmounted pic on his site doesn't help sell the thing.
the wr250r & dr guys rave about his seats.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Newm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Any new owners/updates/pics to the Seat Concepts seat? Looks like it could be a great option. My riding partner just recently put one on his DRZ and loves it.
Newm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Seats

I have a Renazco on my 800GS, and really like it.

I have the Seat Concept on my KTM450, and can't believe the difference!! I can dual-sport the bike all day, and not get monkey butt. Last month, I rode with two other KTMs and two Honda riders back country. When we stopped after a couple of hours, every one else got off their bikes, and sat on big rocks to get more comfortable. It dawned on me after ten minutes that I was still just sitting on my bike, thinking I had the most comfortable chair in the group.

IMHO, of course.

OlyRider screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 08:10 AM
OlyRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
motocrossross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Seat Concepts

I have the seat concepts seat kit on my '11 F650. We just did a 2200 mile trip (to the Unadilla national, woohoo!) a couple weeks ago, and i can tell you that the seat is much better than the stock standard height seat. The pressure on the tailbone is mostly gone, and the sliding to the front is no longer an issue. The seat may be slightly lower than the standard seat, as it has a little step in it sorta like the bmw low seat. Its also a little wider than the stocker, which helps too.
We did four 550 mile days on the trip, about 90% on two lane hiways and the other 10% on the super slab. So, i was pretty much sitting on my ass the whole time and after 6-7 hours each day i would start to squirm. I think any seat would hurt after that much sitting. IMHO, its much better than stock, but still no XT600 seat.
I can post some pics of it you guys are interested.
Ross
'13 R1200GS
motocrossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
angrywhiteguy
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
he shapes the foam better/wider so they stock cover would probably not fit.
Stock cover fits fine......actually better than the cover they make.....just stretch it a bit....mine looks stock and feels 100% better
angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Newm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossross View Post
I have the seat concepts seat kit on my '11 F650. We just did a 2200 mile trip (to the Unadilla national, woohoo!) a couple weeks ago, and i can tell you that the seat is much better than the stock standard height seat. The pressure on the tailbone is mostly gone, and the sliding to the front is no longer an issue. The seat may be slightly lower than the standard seat, as it has a little step in it sorta like the bmw low seat. Its also a little wider than the stocker, which helps too.
We did four 550 mile days on the trip, about 90% on two lane hiways and the other 10% on the super slab. So, i was pretty much sitting on my ass the whole time and after 6-7 hours each day i would start to squirm. I think any seat would hurt after that much sitting. IMHO, its much better than stock, but still no XT600 seat.
I can post some pics of it you guys are interested.
Ross
Sounds nice and glad its working for ya! Pics would be great...the few on the SeatConcepts site are....well...suck!
Newm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I have the seat concepts on my Yamaha WR250R and really like it. IT was easy to install and a 100% improvement for the money. I am thinking of trying it for my 800.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
motocrossross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Pics

Dont flame me for the milk crate! i just use it to haul my lunchbox.
'13 R1200GS
motocrossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossross View Post

Dont flame me for the milk crate! i just use it to haul my lunchbox.
Flame for the milk crate hell no, there are the best luggage ever, cheap, strong, easy to secure, just not as many people running these days to 15 years ago. There should be more of them on the road.

seat looks great too, it should be my next item on the shopping list.