User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand]Acre Wood

It was a beautiful day in the Hundred Acre Wood SE. I had found and reattached my tail and finished repairs on my poor house, so I decided to venture north into the wilderness of the Ozark National Forest. Since most of my acquaintenances in the Hundred Acre Wood were bouncing about or searching for honey, I struck out alone...as usual. It has to be that way, I suppose.

Oh well... After having an unusually wet and cool summer, we have had a very dry spell lately and the fire danger is extremely high. I contemplated whether I posed any risk and concluded that if I didn't take along my cigars and lighter, the forest would be safe.

My route took me northeast on Arkansas Highway 123....a highway very familiar to me. I don't think I encountered more than half a dozen vehicles after I passed through Hagarville....two were Goldwingers. I stopped at the one lane bridge over the Big Piney Creek at Fort Douglas and took a few pictures...

I took advantage of the sparse traffic and took another photo of the bike from a closer perspective.

This is looking north from the bridge. The creek looks pretty good, given how dry it is. The trees are starting to show a hint of Autumn colors.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood

eoR screwed with this post 10-07-2004 at 12:47 PM
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

Johnson County Road 5881 originates to the immediate East of the bridge. For the first time in my off pavement travels I remember to stop and let some air out of my tires and TURN OFF THE ABS.

CR 5881 runs alongside Big Piney Creek for several miles. It is a very scenic road with the creek on the west and rock cliffs on the east. At one of my favorite spots, the rocks overhang a portion of the road at the creek's edge.

This is a fun road, but a little challenging for an off pavement newbie with a relatively heavy bike. I dropped the bike yesterday a few miles up this road and found myself wishing I had a smaller dual sport. Sorry...I know it is customary on ADVRider to post pics of a downed bike but as I was in the middle of nowhere, alone, and without cell service or ham radio repeater communications I was bit preoccupied with figuring out how to pick the bike up. It had fallen down hill on large, smooth creek rock. The approved method for righting a bike seems to presuppose that it is more or less on a level surface on which you can get solid footing with non-tendonitis afflicted knees....

Anyway...back to the road....

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
Old 10-06-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

I don't know why, but large rocks in a creek or along the road interest me....as well as the large gravel on the road where the county road department has made repairs.It IS an election year, afterall....

Another large rock on the side of the road...

As usual, the camera fails to capture what the eye finds interesting. The feature of this rock formation that caught my eye was the tree that has grown up and around the rock ledge.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

I turned east onto Newton County Road 30 and began the climb to Parker Ridge. There was some fascinating scenery there but I could not find a spot where I was comfortable stopping...maybe next time I won't be such a puss.

At the top of the ridge I rode through some very nice hardwood stands. I stopped and took a couple of photos in an attempt to capture the "enchanted forest" type of scene.

Yeah...I kept the bike running, hence the headlight. Something about being many miles from the nearest house or paved road just makes keeping the bike running seem a prudent move.

I expected a fairie, leprechaun, swan, or Sasquatch to wander into the frame at any second...but nothing...not even a wood nymph.

The road traverses the western boundary of the Hurricane Creek Wilderness Area. It is an excellent road, well maintained and smooth. I spotted a couple of Red Maples in full color up on the ridge, otherwise the fall colors are just beginning to show at the higher elevations. I'll keep scouting. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

eoR screwed with this post 10-07-2004 at 12:45 PM
Old 10-06-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

I arrived at the pavement and what passes for civilization in these parts... Highway 16 and the town of Deer, home of the Antlers. I was invited to their high school prom in 1978 by a crazed redhead who stold my keys and shoved them down her pants. She's probably the Principal there now.

I turned south off Highway 16 between Deer and Nail and headed toward Limestone on Newton County Road 29. I picked up Johnson County Road 5661 to Rosetta [Rosetty to the locals] and contined west on County Roads 5680 and 5570 to Salus, crossing Gobbler's Knob and Horsewater Ridges...I love these place names.

I picked up Highway 21 south at Salus and headed down the mountain toward home, but not without stopping at the Burger Barn in Ozone for a Diet Coke and to phone Mrs. Eeyore.

She was relieved to hear that I had apparently survived yet another one of my spur-of-the-moment, unplanned, ill-advised solo adventures into the deep wilderness.

Well...here are the stats on the mini-adventure...

101 miles, approximately 40 of which were off pavement
1.5 gallons gas consumed by the bike [67MPG ]
12 ounces Diet Coke consumed by the rider [1077MPG ]
Total cost of the adventure: $4.01 [I overran the gas pump $.01 ]

My tail is missing again and the house blew down while I was gone, so I have to get back to work. When I get caught up, I'll be back on the road....

eoR screwed with this post 10-07-2004 at 03:58 PM
Old 10-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Deep in the hundred acre woods, where Christopher Robin plays. There lies the enchanted neighborhood of Christopher's childhood days. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa Donky named Eor is his friend, and Kanga and little Roo. Theres Rabit and Piglet and theres Owel...but most of all Winnie the Poo...bum bum bum....
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:00 AM   #7
B6 Steve
Mine's bigger than your's

Oddometer: 94
Looks like a cool ride Eeyore . Some pretty good pics too.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Nice report...Arkansas is a beautiful state no doubt!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
12ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Eeyore:
Good report and ride. I left southern MO. yesterday morning and rode down 21 to Clarksville(on my FJR and a friend on an FZ1) - had lunch and then came back north on Hwy. 123. I must have been ahead of you on 123. I met the two Goldwing riders just south of Mt. Judea (Mt. Judy in Ark. lingo) on that great curvey section (15 miles of superb road and not one other vehicle except the 2 gold wingers.)
A great ride - crossed Bull Shoals on the free ferry and then rode Hwy. 125 back home. 375 miles of beautiful riding.
Arkansas is one of the best state around with all the great roads and low traffic count. 12ride
12ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #10
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,189
Nice report. You are one with the camera.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
AirForce
Abbey Normal

Oddometer: 587
Eeyore,
I'm getting ready to move from Alaska to Rolla Missouri and your picks made me remember just how pretty it can be down there. Oh, the Big Piney ran right behind my work on Ft Leonard Wood (Fort Lost-in-da-Woods in Mo-speak). Looking forward to getting back on the gravel roads.
AirForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:58 PM   #12
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

The wife and I took the Harleys on a ride last Sunday. It was a beautiful, warm day in the Ozarks. I didn't take very many photos but found some sights of interest in the small town of Jasper, Arkansas. The county seat, Jasper is also the largest town in Newton County with a population of about 600. A group of Model A's were touring the area and stopped for lunch at the Ozark Cafe'.

Yes...this is really the Newton County Jail and Sheriff's Office...

Old 10-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #13
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

Monday wasn't as pretty. In fact, it was rather dreary but I retraced some of our route...this time on the Buell and determined to stop and take some photos.

A few miles north of Lurton on Highway 123 I saw these folks fishing...

At first I thought they were being rude by not returning my waves. Upon closer inspection, I realized why they weren't waving...

A few miles up the road I pulled over and took a photo of the new bike with the hills and Highway 123 in the background...

Old 10-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #14
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

Just around the corner I encountered a small pothole...

Even with the butch handguards, headlight grill, Pirelli tires, and stiffer suspension of the XB9SX I thought it best to go around this one.

There are some nice twisties between Lurton and Mount Judea [Mount Judy to the locals] on Highway 123. All but the most recent road maps show this as an unpaved road....some of the best riding in Arkansas, IMO.

eoR screwed with this post 11-08-2005 at 06:54 PM
Old 10-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #15
eoR OP
Thanks For Noticing Me

Some more twisties on Highway 123...

A few miles north of Mount Judea on Highway 123. The road meanders along "Big Creek" with some neat bluffs on the other side.

Okay...another gratuitous Buell glamour shot [well...you won't see many of those on here otherwise, I'm sure ]