Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Great thread. Unfortunately, today most of Idaho is covered in snow. My Vstrom wants to get out and play.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 154
Day 4 – Aug 4th 2010

Riggins is deep in the Salmon River Canyon and the sun takes it’s sweet time rising over the surrounding mountains. We were up early to deep blue skies and we started the day with walk through town to the Cattleman’s Restaurant for another great breakfast. American Restaurants certainly know how to make an omelet.

Today we would head east from Riggins following the Salmon River as it winds through the canyon into the Idaho wilderness.

Salmon River Rd hugs the river bank on one side and amazing cliffs on the other crossing the river several times.

At Riggins Hot Springs, a private suspension bridge crosses the river to a resort on the south side.

The waters of Idaho appear heavily used for recreation. Most of the traffic on this road consisted of River Rafting company vehicles ferrying rafts and people to various launching spots. We saw rafts full of people clad in life jackets around every turn. There were lots of fishermen out on the sandbars as well.

There were many spots where the cliffs dropped straight into the river.

Manning Bridge is an old suspension bridge taking us back to the south side of the Salmon River. It looked pretty decrepit with tight hairpins on either side. We watched an old retired school bus cross it so I figured it could hold up my KLR.

At French Creek Bridge we would leave Salmon River Road and start the climb up the canyon wall on French Creek Rd.

French Creek Rd rises over 4500’ in less than 18 miles. Looking at the topographical map before leaving home we knew this would be one of the highlights of the trip. It was a slow ride up the hill as we kept stopping to take in the view and snap photos. A close up of our track up French Creek Rd:

Adrian and I following French Creek up to the first of many hairpins.

You can see some of the switchbacks we’ll ride on the hillside behind me.

There are no guard rails out here. Just a lot of switchbacks and steep grades. Here’s Tom heading on up the hill.

Tom gets a shot of me coming through the trees.

Here’s a shot looking back down on French Creek Rd switchbacks.

Once we hit the 6500 foot level, the road follows a ridge in a big horseshoe. We stopped for a break at the top. You can see the road we travelled on the ridge behind Tom and Adrian.

We passed through a large burn area on top. We had only seen one other vehicle since the bottom of the canyon but traffic an dust picked up as we headed south to Burgdorf.

Once again, our forward progress was slow due to all the stops to gawk at the fantastic scenery. We had mapped out a route going southeast to Yellow Pine, but we were unsure of accommodations or services (read fuel). Since we were on a bit of a schedule to get to the Stomp, we chose the pavement route out to McCall on Warren Wagon Rd. It was a nice ride over the crest and along Payette Lake.

We had lunch in McCall at the Lardo Grill and Saloon which despite it's unfortunate name (historical I guess) was pretty darn good. Over lunch we planned our next stage. We wanted to get off the main roads again so we found West Mountain Road for a run down the valley to Cascade. It wasn’t very technical but it was scenic and there was very little traffic.

We looped around the bottom of Cascade Lake and hit pavement again passing through some nice farmland.

Lakeshore Drive heading north back into Cascade.

We were surprised to find there wasn’t a lot of choice of motels in Cascade. The Ashley Inn looked a little upscale for a bunch of dusty bikers, but they had bike parking underneath the canopy in front of the lobby and welcomed us with a pretty good rate for a room. We couldn’t resist parking in front of the “Harley Parking Only” sign. The décor was a bit fancy but we would have to make do. (Love the wallpaper) Oh well, Cheers Mate!

We had dinner at an eminently forgettable café, broke out the Irish whiskey and got a good night’s sleep.

The route and stats for the day:

More to come.

Wayne
Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedodjija View Post
Great thread. Unfortunately, today most of Idaho is covered in snow. My Vstrom wants to get out and play.
Thanks for the encouragement! There isn't much snow on the ground here. I woke up to bright sunshine and a temp of -14C. That's why I'm parked in front of this monitor writing a road report. Can't wait to get going again.

Wayne
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
Tuffguy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Did you guys have to go through customs? Or is this a backcountry road without all that fancy stuff?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy View Post
Did you guys have to go through customs? Or is this a backcountry road without all that fancy stuff?
We crossed customs going and returning. We prefer to cross at the smaller border crossings as line-ups are non existent and the border guards on both sides are usually friendlier. On this trip we crossed at Midway.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Day 5 – Aug 5th 2010

A breakfast buffet was included with the room at the Ashley Inn so we took full advantage of it. We headed due east from Cascade on Warm Lake Road. The was one of the prettiest stretches of pavement we hit on this trip. This is another of those roads we likely would have missed on our touring bikes as it ends in gravel at Landmark.

After a few miles winding through the forests, the road starts to climb up through some great twisties on new asphalt before topping out at around 7200’. We had way too much fun on this road. We passed through another huge burn area near the summit.

Descending from the summit we reach the intersection at Landmark. North leads back to Yellow Pine and south would take us through Tyndall Meadows.

Somehow we had gotten off our fueling routines the previous day. Tom and Adrian had filled up in McCall and I had topped up in Cascade. We realized that they might be a bit short on fuel for this leg. I had originally planned our route to head east on Bear Valley Rd then south on Hwy 21 to Grandjean. We looked over our maps and the route south past Deadwood Reservoir looked a lot shorter. We thought we would be more likely to find fuel in Lowman. This turned out to be a much longer route.

When I got to the Deadwood Reservoir, I stopped and waited for Tom and Adrian. After about 20 minutes I was getting a bit worried so I headed back. I met Adrian coming down the road and heard that Tom had lost his keys at our last stop. After a good search they couldn’t find them. It wasn’t a complete crisis as Tom and I were carrying spare sets for each other.

I found Tom and we made another search of the area with no luck. We were just about to head off when the missing keys turned up. Those darn Tourmaster jackets have just too many pockets.

Adrian had carried on ahead so we charged off down the road to catch up. At the base of the Deadwood Dam we looked way up and saw Adrian waving madly from the top.

We re-united at the top of the dam and took a break.

By this time we were getting a little concerned about fuel on the two Beemers. It wasn’t a crises as if either of them ran out we could always siphon a few liters from the KLR supertanker. I still had lots.

From Deadwood Reservoir we climbed south up and over Scott Mountain Rd. I didn’t have a route mapped out for this area, but my GPS told me that we were around 18 km from Lowman. It continued to tell me that for the next hour. Looking at the map I guess we just circled Lowman for a while way up on this ridge.

After a few miles running along the ridge we met a nice couple in a Subaru who confirmed that we were on the right road. We topped out at the summit on Scott Mountain Road at 7500’.

From there it was a steep, twisty descent of about 4000’ to the Banks-Lowman Rd.

By the time we hit the highway, Tom had been on reserve for quite a while.

We saw our first wildlife for quite a while. Yup, we’ve got rattlesnakes in this country. This one was road-kill.

We were somewhat surprised to find no fuel in Lowman. In fact there didn’t seem to be anything open in Lowman. A few miles up the road we found the Sourdough Lodge open for business. By this time, Tom was on fumes and Adrian was close to reserve.

At the Sourdough Lodge we ran into Ben, an employee of the Sawtooth Lodge. He was stocking up on some supplies for the lodge in anticipation of the Stanley Stomp Rally. Ben was kind enough to offer to transport some beer into Grandjean for us. We each bought a dozen beer and threw them into the back seat of the SUV with Ben’s dog.

When we got to the Sawtooth Lodge, Ben had placed our beer in the big refrigerated room for us where we could draw off of it for the next couple of day. Thanks a bunch Ben.

A few miles up Hwy 21, Grandjean Road heads east into the Sawtooth range. After about eight miles of gravel we arrived at the Sawtooth Lodge where the Stanley Stomp was getting underway. There were quite a few people already there and lots of tents set up around the grounds.

Grandjean stream runs right through the lodge grounds and produces a nice little water hazard we had to cross to get to the registration tent. It was a good chance to wash off some dust.

This was the view from the front porch of our cabin. That’s right, we’re surrounded a whole bunch of tenting BMW riders and the KLR has a cabin. What a spectacular setting for a rally.

The main gathering area for the rally was just down from our front porch.

A short time later, Allen from Bend, Oregon showed up on his Tiger. He would be joining us for the rally as our fourth roommate in the cabin.

Our cabin was a duplex. Home sweet home for the next three nights. While small, it was quite comfortable and by this time we were getting used to all the snoring.

Mother Nature provided a nice rainbow over the Sawtooth Mountains to welcome us.

The Idaho BMW Riders put on a first class event. For the price of admission we got 3 dinners and 3 breakfasts. All of which were excellent. On Thursday night they cooked up some excellent burgers.

The Stanley Stomp is an annual event that has been going on for quite a few years. These guys are really organized, well equipped and have this down to a science. To find out more about this year’s rally check them out.

http://www.idahobmwriders.com/index.html

We spent the rest of the evening visiting and hanging around the fire. A bit more Irish Whisky was sacrificed to the cause.

Today’s route and stats:

More to come.
Wayne

BCBackRoads screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 10:06 PM
BCBackRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #22
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Day 6 – Aug 6th, 2010

Friday morning we decided to take a run into Boise. Not only is Hwy 21 a great road for bikes, but I wanted to stop in at Happy Trails to snoop around. Oh, and the others wanted to stop by a BMW dealer.

The four of us took off down the gravel road. We spread out again to avoid the worst of the dust and regrouped back on Hwy 21.

There was several miles of fresh chip-seal between Grandjean and Lowman with a 35 mph speed limit and lots of flying rocks. At least the fine scenery kept us entertained at the low speed.

From Lowman, Hwy 21 climbs up to Beaver Creek Pass. A speed limit of 35 mph keeps things in check, but the road is so twisty it’s still entertaining.

We had an eclectic mix of bikes for the run.

Do you think maybe these guys are enjoying themselves?

This is a great road. When we get closer to the summit the speed limit bumps up to 45 mph. I was leading the group when I spotted a couple of Idaho’s finest on RT1200’s coming the other way. I glanced down at the GPS and I was doing about 50 mph. They both waved at us as we went by. Cool!

Not ten minutes later I see a couple more police bikes coming around the bend. This time, on go the flashing lights. One of them pulls Tom and I over and the other picks off Adrian. Allen is 100 yards or so behind us. He gently slows and putts on by. Maybe with his Oregon plates they thought he wasn’t with us.

The nice officer asks us what the speed limit is. I reply that it is 45mph. Nooooo! ….. apparently it changed back to 35 mph a mile or so back. I missed it completely. He wrote us up for 50 in a 35 zone. Nice Souvenir. As a nice touch the other officer finishes with Adrian and pulls up with us. We ask for a picture to remember them by.

Actually they were pretty nice guys. We had a good chat before moving on. We’ll just consider this a fun tax on our trip. Just before we head off the second officer informs us that he has made an error on Adrian’s ticket and to tell him to tear it up. Are you sure you didn’t make an error on the other two? No such luck.

We weren’t sure what was going on but we spent the rest of the ride to Boise and back dodging police. We saw more cop cars, truck and bikes in that eight hours than I had seen in the past 3 months.

On the way back I was riding on my own and went past the same two cops in exactly the same 35 mph zone. I was doing exactly 35 according to the GPS. This time they waved!

Back at Grandjean the rally was getting ready for the Friday night brats and beans feed. (It was actually way better than it sounds.)

We had a big campfire Friday evening. You had to be really friendly to get close enough to the fire for warmth.

Melissa, a young employee of Sawtooth Lodge put on a fire dance as our evening entertainment. She was accepting donations in order to fund a return to work at a mission somewhere in Africa. I think she did pretty well that night.

Map & Stats for the day:

Wayne
Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Day 7 – Aug 7th, 2010

Saturday would be our seventh day on the ride. For some strange reason we thought this would be a good day for a rest. After breakfast most of the Rally attendees were talking shop, kicking tires and some even went for rides. Adrian and I decided to walk downstream to check out the Sacajawea Hot Springs. They were located about a mile down the road from the lodge.

Did I say yet that this was a spectacular place for a rally? We met up with a couple of other kindred spirits and spent the next hour or so trying find that perfect spot where the hot water from the spring mixed just perfectly with the very cold water in the river. (Sorry gentlemen, I enjoyed your company but I don’t remember your names.)

This is the South Fork of the Payette River. There were at least a dozen hot pools stretched out along the shoreline.

Not too far from the hot springs, a number of fly fishermen were trying their luck.

Meanwhile back at the rally people were sitting in the shade swapping lies and relaxing.

Emma, our hostess who managed the Sawtooth Lodge heard I was taking some pictures around the site and asked for some copies. I agreed but when I tried to charge up my netbook in the cabin it wouldn’t work. I whipped out my handy-dandy pocket multimeter and found there was only 55VAC in the cabin. The whole place was on a generator during the day and our cabin was a long ways off.

I set up an office in the lodge for an hour or so to get charged up and pass over the pictures. It was a pretty nice office. Lots of people coming, going and visiting.

After that we hung around on our front porch for a while. This was also a pretty nice place to hang out. Lots of people coming and going right past the front door.

Lo and behold it’s time for lunch. We decided to check out the menu at the lodge. Adrian and I each tucked into an incredible chef’s salad. (It seems that food photos are a prerequisite for an ADV ride report. Who am I to resist tradition?)

I’m not really sure what Alan had for lunch but it looked edible. By the way, Alan is in his seventies and he still rides many miles every year. He is an awesome rider and I want to be like him when I grow up.

This is Emma, our hostess and manager of the Sawtooth Lodge. She runs a great place!

Alan and Adrian heading back to the cabin.

Saturday dinner was rib-eye steaks, corn-on-the-cob, and baked potatoes. Needless to say the line formed early.

That was one fine dinner. The Bavarian Mountain West guys and gals sure did an awesome job on this rally. If you have a chance to attend one of these, don’t miss it.

After dinner all of the “Airhead” owners lined up for a group photo.

Saturday ended with awards for riders (long distance etc.) and a whole bunch of door prizes generously donated by a bunch of sponsors.

No routes or stats for today. We didn’t turn a tire. Sunday we’re back on the road headed for Hells Canyon.

Wayne

BCBackRoads screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 10:10 PM
BCBackRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
Exemplary. Thanks for such a qreat ride, I mean read.

Thanks also for the routes. There goes August.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #25
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 49
never tired of Idaho rides

Hey guys, I towed my 26' fifth wheel over the Manning Bridge about 4 years ago on a fall elk hunt up on the French Creek road area. I parked along the Salmon River and took my ATV up in the mountains in the early am. I almost didn't get the trailer around those two hairpin corners at either ends of the bridge. And I had to do it twice!
Those shutters on the windows in the room at the Ashley Inn were made by my company! Thanks for the free advertising!!
Great ride report.
We travel between the eternities
Robert Duvall - Broken Trail
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
ozbeemer2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wicked great spread and those 3 good looking fellas and bikes

hey wayne, let's do it again, idaho is so beautiful, good job ,Adrian.
ozbeemer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Exemplary. Thanks for such a qreat ride, I mean read.

Thanks also for the routes. There goes August.
Anytime Mike! Due to time constraints we only got to ride about half of the routes I had planned out. Good thing we have another summer coming up. If you're interested in any of the gps tracks or routes, pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterman View Post
Hey guys, I towed my 26' fifth wheel over the Manning Bridge about 4 years ago on a fall elk hunt up on the French Creek road area. I parked along the Salmon River and took my ATV up in the mountains in the early am. I almost didn't get the trailer around those two hairpin corners at either ends of the bridge. And I had to do it twice!
Those shutters on the windows in the room at the Ashley Inn were made by my company! Thanks for the free advertising!!
Great ride report.
Always happy to provide some exposure to good products. The Ashley Inn was a pretty nice place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbeemer2 View Post
hey wayne, let's do it again, idaho is so beautiful, good job ,Adrian.
Adrian! Glad to see you on board. I'm already looking forward to our next trip. Now if we could just get Tom into camping......

Wayne
Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Day 8 – Aug 8th, 2010

Sunday morning and the rally was breaking up fast with people heading out in every direction. Well, there was only one direction out of Grandjean, but you know what I mean.

Our goal this day was get through Hells Canyon and end up in Enterprise, Oregon. Alan was heading home towards Bend and didn’t want to ride gravel on his Tiger so we decided to accompany him via pavement for a while. The ride down river via the Banks-Lowman road was the perfect start to the day. We stopped in Banks for coffee and breakfast.

From Banks we rode south to Horseshoe Bend then west on Hwy 52 all the way to Payette where we picked up Hwy 95 North. We stopped at Bucky’s Café in Cambridge for lunch. You can add this one to a list of recommended eateries in Idaho. It was a pleasant morning ride, but not too photogenic to this point.

After lunch we headed west on Hwy 71 towards the Snake River Canyon. This was a much more interesting secondary route. We descended a long way until we met the Brownlee Reservoir on the Snake River.

After Brownlee Dam we crossed over the Snake River and followed along the Oxbow Reservoir to the Oxbow Dam.

There is a pretty nice campground at Oxbow. While inquiring about the local road conditions Tom was contemplating camping again. (Not)

We had heard that Hwy 39 to Enterprise was completely washed out and impassible. We flagged down a groundskeeper at the campground and asked about the Hess Rd. I had really wanted to ride either the Kleinschmidt Grade or the Hess Rd (or both) on this trip. Having bypassed the Kleinschmidt Grade I was pleased to hear the Hess Rd was open so we decided to give it a try. At this point Alan decided to head straight home to Bend so we were back to our group of three.

Homestead Road runs north along the west bank of Hells Canyon Reservoir. I would guess that it was an abandoned rail bed that likely served the construction of the Hells Canyon Dam down river.

Shortly after the tunnel we got our first glimpse of Hess Road on our upper left.

The Hess Road, (locally known as the Power line Road) starts from Homestead on the west side of the Snake River directly across from where the Kleinschmidt grade begins on the east side. All my GPS maps (including a new 2011 version) show a bridge crossing the Snake River between the two. I knew from looking at Google Earth that there is no bridge. You have to cross the river at Oxbow, several miles south.

Leaving the river the Hess road is steep, twisty and rough in spots. There are no guard rails and it’s a long way to the bottom in spots. We would climb 3500’ in less than seven miles.

This was not a road to try to take pictures while riding and relatively level spots were few and far between. Here is Adrian disappearing around a bend.

In the following picture we can see the start of the Hess Rd far below on this bank. On the opposite side of the Snake River we can see the beginning of the Kleinschmidt Grade.

One of the many hairpin turns on the Hess Rd.

We finally got to a relatively flat spot for a break and a photo shoot. The power line in the back ground gives an indication of the steepness of the terrain.

Hells Canyon and the Snake River are far below.

What a view!

Climbing further out of the canyon we eventually reached some trees on the slopes.

We took advantage of the first shade in quite a while for a break.

The Hess Rd eventually met up with pavement at Wallowa Mountain Loop Rd (aka Hwy 39). Shortly after we saw sign for a side trip up to the Hells Canyon Overlook.

The Snake River is down there somewhere but the canyon is so deep we couldn’t see the River.

Tom and Adrian at the Hells Canyon Overlook.

My turn to get into a photo.

We returned to Wallowa Mountain Loop Road and headed towards Enterprise. This is another wonderful paved section which twists, turns and climbs over several 6000’ ridges. With the south end of the road closed, there was virtually no traffic, only a few other bikes on the road.

Wallowa Mountain Loop Road met up with the Imnaha Hwy near the top of the plateau and all of a sudden we were over the top and had a straight shot through farm land toward Joseph with the Wallowa Mountains forming a dramatic backdrop.

I had developed a strange yearning for a good cigar and one of the people we had met earlier in the day told us there was a good cigar shop in Joseph. “Our Little Cigar Store” does indeed have a good selection and helpful staff. Joseph impressed the hell out of us. It was pretty, clean and the people we met were so friendly we decided to stay there for the night.

We found a nice room at the Indian Lodge Motel and after cleaning up we took a stroll through town. There were nice gardens and bronze statues spread up and down Main Street. We stopped for a beer at the Outlaw Restaurant. The lady there recommended the ribs at the Stubborn Mule Saloon and Steakhouse up the street.

When we got there we found they only had one half rack of ribs left. We flipped a coin and Adrian won out. Lucky Aussie!

With no ribs left, I had to settle for this crummy burger. (It’s a tough life.)

We stayed quite a while enjoying the hospitality and friendly town folk. A lot of beer passed under the bridge.

The days route and stats:

(Grandjean to Cambridge)

(Cambridge to Joseph)

More coming.
Wayne
Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #29
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Idaho

Wow. A great trip.
Idaho is an incredible place to ride.
Stanley Stomp is always fantastic!
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #30
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
Sir,
Jeeburrs.

Nice work Wayne. Saving this up to post now in the frigid dieing grasp of winter was pure genius.

yes please, I would make good use of the tracks.